What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Time Limit Per Pick (1 Viewer)

Z-Men

Footballguy
Curious to know how many local leagues actually enforce a time limit per pick. If so, I have a few questions:1) How long is it?2) What happens if you let time run down to zero?3) Has any1 ever let their time run down to zero and, if so, why did that happen?I ask because I face approx. a one minute time limit in the high stakes events I play (WCOFF, FF Masters, etc.). If I let time run out then the next manager in line gets to pick. After he/she picks then I get another five seconds to make my pick. If I dont make my pick then the next manager in line gets to pick and this whole process repeats until I make my pick.I've let my time run down to zero on numerous occasions for strategic purposes. Yes, sounds weird. I have my reasons and would like to know if any1 else is crazy like me.-z-

Last edited by a moderator:
3 mins max in my league.If you don't make a pick, your pick moves to the end of the entire draft.No one has ever missed, but this rule makes it so when I, as the Commish, say, "5 seconds!" the owner makes sure they make their pick. I have had it get down to the time before (usually when someone waits over 2 minutes to select a guy only to select someone already taken and then scramble the final seconds to find someone else).

Technically 2 minutes, but there is a bit of a grace period in there. The point of the time limit is to move things along and instituting a hard limit that messes with the integrity of the draft order is more trouble than it is worth.As long as the draft is moving at a good pace an extra 10 seconds here or there isn't going to hurt anything.

Curious to know how many local leagues actually enforce a time limit per pick. If so, I have a few questions:

1) How long is it?

2) What happens if you let time run down to zero?

3) Has any1 ever let their time run down to zero and, if so, why did that happen?

I ask because I face a time limit in the high stakes events I play (WCOFF, FF Masters, etc.). Furthermore, I've let my time run down to zero on numerous occasions for strategic purposes. Yes, sounds weird. I have my reasons and would like to know if any1 else is crazy like me.

-z-
strategic purposes? what strategy is that? to annoy everyone in your league? are they going to go on tilt and not draft the best player with that pick? if nothing else you are giving other people in your league more time to research their picks. :lmao:

And lmmfao at your sig.

"professional fantasy football player"

:lmao:

that is good shtick.

Hahah, you like my title eh? Seriously, FF has served as major income for several years now -- winning high stakes leagues, writing articles, now a book.What strategic purpose would it have to wait on a pick? Natural question.Imagine this scenario. It was my turn to pick in the 8th round of the 2003 World Championship of FAntasy Football in Vegas. I was drafting out of the 7th slot in a serpentine draft. I was on the clock, and after me to pick was Team six, then Team five, ... et cetera. Team one would pick twice in a row then it would eventually wrap back around to me again for the ninth round where I'd pick after Team six. Make sense?At this point I had drafted four RBs and three WRs. Looking at my cheat sheet and analyzing those who I'd like to pick up, I came up with four different players: three wide receivers in Joey Galloway, Chris Chambers, and Reggie Wayne and QB Jeff Garcia. Just assume (as I did) that all four players are about equal in value if I pick them.Looking at the draft tracker, I noticed that every team to pick behind me already drafted a starting QB with the one exception of Team two.I made it my goal to get Garcia and one of the WRs with my next two picks. There were three options. ... any1 care to take a guess as to what those options were and what my best course of action was??? -z-

Hahah, you like my title eh? Seriously, FF has served as major income for several years now -- winning high stakes leagues, writing articles, now a book.

What strategic purpose would it have to wait on a pick? Natural question.

Imagine this scenario. It was my turn to pick in the 8th round of the 2003 World Championship of FAntasy Football in Vegas. I was drafting out of the 7th slot in a serpentine draft. I was on the clock, and after me to pick was Team six, then Team five, ... et cetera. Team one would pick twice in a row then it would eventually wrap back around to me again for the ninth round where I'd pick after Team six. Make sense?

At this point I had drafted four RBs and three WRs. Looking at my cheat sheet and analyzing those who I'd like to pick up, I came up with four different players: three wide receivers in Joey Galloway, Chris Chambers, and Reggie Wayne and QB Jeff Garcia. Just assume (as I did) that all four players are about equal in value if I pick them.

Looking at the draft tracker, I noticed that every team to pick behind me already drafted a starting QB with the one exception of Team two.

I made it my goal to get Garcia and one of the WRs with my next two picks. There were three options. ... any1 care to take a guess as to what those options were and what my best course of action was??? -z-
I am still trying to figure out how that has to do with running down the clock on purpose...You took Garcia in round 8 and a receiver in round 9? You wouldn't want to let Garcia slip as team 2 has 2 draft picks to get 1 QB and there is no reason to think that one of the other teams wouldn't draft a backup here. I guess you could let him slip taking a WR first but that would depend on what QBs had been taken and what ADP Garcia and other QBs who were available had at the time.

You didn't give enough information to make an informed decision...but maybe you could explain one more time how serpentine drafts work, like I am 8.

:thumbup:

Hahah, you like my title eh? Seriously, FF has served as major income for several years now -- winning high stakes leagues, writing articles, now a book.

Imagine this scenario. It was my turn to pick in the 8th round of the 2003 World Championship of FAntasy Football in Vegas. I was drafting out of the 7th slot in a serpentine draft. I was on the clock, and after me to pick was Team six, then Team five, ... et cetera. Team one would pick twice in a row then it would eventually wrap back around to me again for the ninth round where I'd pick after Team six. Make sense?

At this point I had drafted four RBs and three WRs. Looking at my cheat sheet and analyzing those who I'd like to pick up, I came up with four different players: three wide receivers in Joey Galloway, Chris Chambers, and Reggie Wayne and QB Jeff Garcia. Just assume (as I did) that all four players are about equal in value if I pick them.

Looking at the draft tracker, I noticed that every team to pick behind me already drafted a starting QB with the one exception of Team two.

I made it my goal to get Garcia and one of the WRs with my next two picks. There were three options. ... any1 care to take a guess as to what those options were and what my best course of action was??? -z-
You're going into round 8 and you haven't drafted a kicker yet??? :confused:

You were hoping they'd all finish their beers while you picked?

You're going into round 8 and you haven't drafted a kicker yet??? :confused:
He's a professional.

I'm going to movies now. I'll check this thread later tonight to see if any1 can guess the three options I had in Round 8. I'll give away one of the options here:

First option: I could draft one of the WRs now in which case I’d have to simply hope Garcia fell to me in the ninth. However, I was really worried about Team Two since they were the one team sitting behind me that didn’t have a QB yet. I concluded it was too risky to simply take a WR now and just hope Garcia wrapped around to me.

-z-

I'm going to movies now. I'll check this thread later tonight to see if any1 can guess the three options I had in Round 8. I'll give away one of the options here:

First option: I could draft one of the WRs now in which case I’d have to simply hope Garcia fell to me in the ninth. However, I was really worried about Team Two since they were the one team sitting behind me that didn’t have a QB yet. I concluded it was too risky to simply take a WR now and just hope Garcia wrapped around to me.

-z-
The suspense is kiling us. :mellow:

Careful bagger, this is also the guy who created Zarzycki-VBD, the most powerful tool in drafting since JoeB penned the original article. This is why if I went to the WSOP and won it, I'd retire from poker and just whore my likeness out to all the online crap I could. I got lucky once and now I am an expert poker player?Same basic Idea. You are a "professional" FF player because you won the WCOFF once. Comendable, but it was still luck. I see your point on letting the draft timer slip, but you could end up losing both players you covet if the owners waiting to draft blurt out who you want before you do. In later rounds, I am usually ready to go before it gets to me.

-z-
I was right! :hophead:

I am well on my way to being a professional too.

- bagger

"AA semi-pro" fantasy football player

-z-
This is powerful information...it's like visiting the Wizard of Oz...

-z-
This is powerful information...it's like visiting the Wizard of Oz...
:rant: :rant: :hot: :hot: :rant: Great, now OZ has to take a wizz...

Same basic Idea. You are a "professional" FF player because you won the WCOFF once. Comendable, but it was still luck.
Oh boy, why do I have to take shots? I'm the only WCOFF'er to not only finish in the top ten twice, but I was able to finish in the top three both years. The odds were over 55,000 to one to do what I did. Luck or skill? I say both. This is a tangent, get back to what my three options were!!! -z-

Would a fantasy football profesional really have considered drafting Joey Galloway at that point? :thumbdown:

I was on the clock, and after me to pick was Team six, then Team five, ... et cetera. Team one would pick twice in a row then it would eventually wrap back around to me again for the ninth round where I'd pick after Team six. Make sense?
Nope, please start over.

Same basic Idea. You are a "professional" FF player because you won the WCOFF once. Comendable, but it was still luck.
Oh boy, why do I have to take shots? I'm the only WCOFF'er to not only finish in the top ten twice, but I was able to finish in the top three both years. The odds were over 55,000 to one to do what I did. Luck or skill? I say both. This is a tangent, get back to what my three options were!!! -z-
:wub:

Option 2 is to draft a kicker and then think to yourself "Wow, I didn't really see me doing that...I'm a really complex person but an absolute genius when it comes to fantasy football"...after the announcement of your pick, you will pump your fist in a way that shows everyone you are elated with this pick...this will probably be the time where you stand up, unzip your pants and proceed to walk around the room and whap all the others drafters with the tip of your knob...or maybe this is option 3...

Same basic Idea.  You are a "professional" FF player because you won the WCOFF once.  Comendable, but it was still luck. 
a/s/l ?

Gold I tell you... GOLD!!

Book Quotes:"Robert''s indisputable record of success in high-stakes competition makes DRAFTING TO WIN a must-read for all serious Fantasy players." – Bob Harris, TFL Report“Robert''s accomplishments in the World Championship of Fantasy Football are unparalleled. His back-to-back finishes in the top three demonstrate his cunning understanding of how to win." -- Roger Craig, three-time Super Bowl Champion, San Francisco 49ers
But for $22.00 I will spend my money on three magazines. Check that... I will spend it on one and save the rest.

I think Bob's accomplishments speak for themselves. He has clearly demostrated a cunning system that virtualy eliminates any chance of loss.

are you serious?can anyone tell me if this guy is for real?

OK, based on the people replying in this thread, I"m guess this guy actually is legit. Which makes this one of the greatest posters this side of Psycho Kev.I'm cracking UP over here, the questions I have are vast. Why "Z-Men", are you plural? Was Z-Man taken? Were you upset if it was? Do you really put on your income taxes that you are a professional FF player? How in the WORLD do you have the stones to get a quote from Roger Craig about your FF expertise?Honestly, I would love to sit down with Z-Men for a candid interview, from the likes, it sounds like it would kill.

Z - man. Just ignore all of the idiots that have posted here in the thread. You are just trying to discuss a part of drafting that these simpletons are unable to comprehend so they have to resort to schololboy-like behavior.Back to the question which no one else wants to touch, if you pass your pick until the other guy who needs the QB (team 2)will pick, then there is a good chance that team 2 will not take the QB with his pick in round 8 since he will believe the QB will be there in round 9, since he knows that only team 1 picks between his picks in rounds 8 and 9, and he knows that team 1 does not need a QB. Team 2 will get greedy and pick a position other than QB. If you make your pick after team 2's round 8 pick, you can steal the QB, and still have a shot at the WR you want.

I was on the clock, and after me to pick was Team six, then Team five, ... et cetera. Team one would pick twice in a row then it would eventually wrap back around to me again for the ninth round where I'd pick after Team six. Make sense?
Nope, please start over.

Z - man. Just ignore all of the idiots that have posted here in the thread. You are just trying to discuss a part of drafting that these simpletons are unable to comprehend so they have to resort to schololboy-like behavior.
:hophead: :hophead: :hophead:

Z - man. Just ignore all of the idiots that have posted here in the thread. You are just trying to discuss a part of drafting that these simpletons are unable to comprehend so they have to resort to schololboy-like behavior.

Back to the question which no one else wants to touch, if you pass your pick until the other guy who needs the QB (team 2)will pick, then there is a good chance that team 2 will not take the QB with his pick in round 8 since he will believe the QB will be there in round 9, since he knows that only team 1 picks between his picks in rounds 8 and 9, and he knows that team 1 does not need a QB. Team 2 will get greedy and pick a position other than QB. If you make your pick after team 2's round 8 pick, you can steal the QB, and still have a shot at the WR you want.
My question is how do you know that Garcia is the next highest rated QB on team 2's draft board. It seems like if all four players are ranked equally, then you should just take Garcia (based on need) and hope that one of the three WRs falls back to you in round 9. If you time out, who's to say that your WRs won't start getting picked off while you wait anyway. Not getting the strategy here from that far away. Now, if you were in the four spot in this scenario then I would MAYBE understand this strategy more.

Back to the question which no one else wants to touch, if you pass your pick until the other guy who needs the QB (team 2)will pick, then there is a good chance that team 2 will not take the QB with his pick in round 8 since he will believe the QB will be there in round 9, since he knows that only team 1 picks between his picks in rounds 8 and 9, and he knows that team 1 does not need a QB. Team 2 will get greedy and pick a position other than QB. If you make your pick after team 2's round 8 pick, you can steal the QB, and still have a shot at the WR you want.
What happens when team 2 picks Garcia?Do 3/4 of his earnings from ZVBD go to FBG?

Does Kid C know about him using AVT on his website?

Should I just take this to his forum?

Option 1:- Already posted grab Garcia & hoppe on a WROption 2:- Already posted: wait until after team 2 picks and you hope he gets comfy and skips the QB.Option 3:Wait until just before team 2 picks and snag Garcia, hoping to start a run, and/or at least cause some panic on him.Option 4:Variant on option 3 - wait until only one of the WR is left, hoping Garcia is left, and snag that WR hoping to start/prolong a run, by seemingly jumping in to get one while they are still good ones left.

(why am I playing along?)Problem here is if he sees these WRs as the next best thing, it's safe to assume others will as well.

He's in the 7 spot, which means 12 picks before his next one, obviously he's hoping team 2 lets Garcia drop twice (entirely possible, as Garcia sucks)

3 or more of those 6 teams will go WR here, probably going after the WRs he wants (except maybe Galloway, as he sucks).

So let's say he keeps passing on his pick until 2 of the WRs are gone, or team 2 has taken his first pick. Team 2 picks in 5 spots, right? So it's entirely possible that all 3 WRs he wants are gone by then anyway, and team 2 says "well, I might as well take my QB", and he's not getting any. (Of course, after 3 are taken, he will take the 4th.

Too risky for my blood, with very little gain.

Now, if he could trade down, he'd be in a better position.

He's in the 7 spot, which means 12 picks before his next one, obviously he's hoping team 2 lets Garcia drop twice (entirely possible, as Garcia sucks)

3 or more of those 6 teams will go WR here, probably going after the WRs he wants (except maybe Galloway, as he sucks).
Keep in mind, this was for a 2003 draft and Garcia had a very good 2002 with 3,344 yards passing, 21 passing TDs, 10 ints, 353 rushing yards, and 3 rushing TDs. Galloway had 61 for 908 and 6 TDs in 2002 and I'm guessing that he expected the third year WR breakout for Chambers and Wayne. I'm still confused about how waiting from that far away from Team 2 would benefit you, but I guess I'll read about it in the book.

1 minute limit, same for moving to the end.

This HAS happened but only with people picking in the final round.

3 mins max in my league.

If you don't make a pick, your pick moves to the end of the entire draft.

No one has ever missed, but this rule makes it so when I, as the Commish, say, "5 seconds!" the owner makes sure they make their pick. I have had it get down to the time before (usually when someone waits over 2 minutes to select a guy only to select someone already taken and then scramble the final seconds to find someone else).

You grossed 37K in two years of FF plus what you make writing. Sounds like good money when you consider that makes him one of the most successful people to graduate from rutgers. :)

Keep in mind, this was for a 2003 draft and Garcia had a very good 2002 with 3,344 yards passing, 21 passing TDs, 10 ints, 353 rushing yards, and 3 rushing TDs. Galloway had 61 for 908 and 6 TDs in 2002 and I'm guessing that he expected the third year WR breakout for Chambers and Wayne. I'm still confused about how waiting from that far away from Team 2 would benefit you, but I guess I'll read about it in the book.
True, I suppose the 2700 yards and 18 TDs (Garcia 2003) made him a champ?Maybe it was Galloway's 672 and 2 :unsure:

True, I suppose the 2700 yards and 18 TDs (Garcia 2003) made him a champ?Maybe it was Galloway's 672 and 2 :unsure:
Hindsight is 20/20. I was just providing some background.

Can someone pass me the footnotes as to what we are supposed to have learned from all of this..... :shrug: :coffee:

Sure, for us mortals. It would seem the self-proclaimed best-FF-player-in-the-land would have foreseen that.

Sure, for us mortals. It would seem the self-proclaimed best-FF-player-in-the-land would have foreseen that.

Or you could just draft your QB in the 8th round. :tumbleweed:

Users who are viewing this thread