What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

timschochet's thread- Mods, please move this thread to the Politics Subforum, thank you (1 Viewer)

Saints, Hillary Clinton has a foundation that took money from foreign countries while she was Secretary of State. That doesn't look good, but I doubt it's unconstitutional.

And she used a private email account. So what?

None of this stuff is important enough to affect her candidacy, IMO. I will be voting, or not voting, for HRC based on her viewpoints on the issues that interest me the most. I'm waiting to find that out.
Tim, you're always fusing questions of right/wrong and politics. It's two different issues.

Yes, the foundation receiving moneys from kings, emirs and foreign governments plainly violates ART I, Sec. 9, it violates a whole other federal law and it also violates a personal agreement Hillary (and the administration via Valerie Jarrett) signed. That's three different ways it breaks the law.

As for the private email issue, that is a big breach of the law too, maybe the biggest ever. She did ALL of her emails on a private account, all of them. Public records laws are the basis for transparency and accountability in government today. Can you imagine the risk at putting the SOS's business on yahoo or gmail or hotmail? And can you imagine the problems with a cabinet level official leaving no electronic trail of their decisions and what they knew? It's huge? It's one of the basics of democracy today, from your local councilman all the way to the President.

As for the political consequences, you may be correct. No one seems to much care for ethics these days. But I do think it's interesting that the Clintons are bumping their "official" start date to April. They are clearly trying to cut off any competition, but I'm thinking they would like as much of any and all scandals to work their way out before the start of the general election. There are these two revelations and there are probably more to come.

The names I've read/heard have been Biden, Webb and O'Malley. Warren seems to be staying out, but I think someone from the left will get in. The Democrats actually need someone to get in just to provide a foil at a minimum.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not saying Hillary is the most ethical of politicians. From the moment she and her husband first appeared on the national scene some 30 years ago there has been one sleazy question after another. At some point you gotta think that when there's this much smoke there has to be a little fire right?

But I don't see any of this as major- at least not enough for me not to support her if I decide she's the one I want in the White House. I haven't drcided that yet. But Hillary has a lot going for her: she impresses me as extremely competent, very experienced with probably the best resume of anyone running, very smart and tough.

So, the winds of politics are telling us that we are looking at a potential Hillary Clinton v. JEB Bush race for President?

It's like a Cowboys Patriots Superbowl. Yeah, the big names are here but I'm sure as hell not rooting for either of them. Hope the commercials are entertaining.

So, the winds of politics are telling us that we are looking at a potential Hillary Clinton v. JEB Bush race for President?

It's like a Cowboys Patriots Superbowl. Yeah, the big names are here but I'm sure as hell not rooting for either of them. Hope the commercials are entertaining.
i don't think Jeb is going to get there. I think it's going to be Hillary vs Scott Walker.

Why is her resume better than Webb, O'Malley & Biden?
I think Biden also has a good resume. Webb is pretty solid too. I'd say O'Malley's is by far the worst of those mentioned -- he doesn't have any foreign policy experience, and his time as governor seems to get sorta mixed reviews.

I do think Hillary should get some resume points for her eight years as first lady. Not an elected office but at least she knows where to find #### in the White House.

none of them have been Secretary of State. I think Hillary has been one of our better Secretaries of State in my lifetime. O'Malley I know almost nothing about. Webb has never impressed me. Biden I would strongly consider voting for: despite his gaffes he's a very smart guy with much foreign policy vision- but he's got no chance.

I wrote a few months back that Walker reminded me of a young Richard Nixon, and the more I watch him the stronger the parallels are. His "shopping at Kohls" speech is much like Nixon's "Checkers" speech: the blue collars can identify because he is one of them and isn't a wealthy guy- the opposite of Romney. There is a resentment against the Establishment- much like Nixon. And like Nixon Walker is a partisan politician who wins, earning the strong dislike of liberals and Democrats.

So far Walker's critics seem to be trying to paint him as another Sarah Palin. That's not going to work. He's far too smart and able for that.

none of them have been Secretary of State. I think Hillary has been one of our better Secretaries of State in my lifetime.O'Malley I know almost nothing about. Webb has never impressed me. Biden I would strongly consider voting for: despite his gaffes he's a very smart guy with much foreign policy vision- but he's got no chance.
Except for an apologistic and more Islam-friendly tone, what has really been accomplished? We are essentially on the verge of a new war. I get that a harsh tone offends you, but what has really changed? Are we anywhere near peace?

This whole email story strikes me as really stupid-on Hillary's part. If she had wanted to hide stuff from public scrutiny, why not use private emails for that stuff and a public account for all the standard messages? I'm sure that's what all the other high level officials do. If she had done that there would be no questions about it.

I wrote a few months back that Walker reminded me of a young Richard Nixon, and the more I watch him the stronger the parallels are. His "shopping at Kohls" speech is much like Nixon's "Checkers" speech: the blue collars can identify because he is one of them and isn't a wealthy guy- the opposite of Romney. There is a resentment against the Establishment- much like Nixon. And like Nixon Walker is a partisan politician who wins, earning the strong dislike of liberals and Democrats.

So far Walker's critics seem to be trying to paint him as another Sarah Palin. That's not going to work. He's far too smart and able for that.
If anyone is being compared to Palin these days, it's Hillary:

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2011/06/document-dump-trove-of-sarah-palins-official-governor-emails-to-be-released/

http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2009/08/sarah-palin200908

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/geoffrey-dunn/a-culture-of-corruption_b_284726.html

http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2008/10/alaska-judge-cracks-down-palins-emails

http://www.vox.com/2015/3/2/8138203/clinton-emails-bush

At least Palin did some work on her official email system though.

none of them have been Secretary of State. I think Hillary has been one of our better Secretaries of State in my lifetime.O'Malley I know almost nothing about. Webb has never impressed me. Biden I would strongly consider voting for: despite his gaffes he's a very smart guy with much foreign policy vision- but he's got no chance.
Except for an apologistic and more Islam-friendly tone, what has really been accomplished? We are essentially on the verge of a new war. I get that a harsh tone offends you, but what has really changed? Are we anywhere near peace?
Do you really think any Secretary of State can achieve peace on earth in four years?

This whole email story strikes me as really stupid-on Hillary's part. If she had wanted to hide stuff from public scrutiny, why not use private emails for that stuff and a public account for all the standard messages? I'm sure that's what all the other high level officials do. If she had done that there would be no questions about it.
It's called hubris and corruption. Mayor Nagin did the same thing here.

Pandora Radio.... (I Wear My) Sungalsses at Night. by Corey Hart.

Solid 80's tune. Reminds me of Hillary. Because when she gets that 3am phone call, you know she is wearing sunglasses.

Do you really think any Secretary of State can achieve peace on earth in four years?
Kissinger and Cyrus Vance got us to Camp David.

Baker got us to SALT.

Hillary showed up with a reset button that didn't even have the right aphorism on it.

Kenny Loggins..... Footloose.

When I think of kicking back on a Sunday and letting loose, I am reminded of Joe Biden. He absolutely goes back to the Vice PResidential Mansion and does his best Tom Cruise Risky Business dress shirt and socks dance because Obama smiled at him.

Oh my, Pandora is killing it.

Here I go Again by Whitesnake.

Right back to Hillary. Always searching for what she wants. Going down the only road she's ever known. And she's made up her mind and ain't wastin' no more time.

Pandora Radio.... (I Wear My) Sungalsses at Night. by Corey Hart.

Solid 80's tune. Reminds me of Hillary. Because when she gets that 3am phone call, you know she is wearing sunglasses.
Oh my, Pandora is killing it.

Here I go Again by Whitesnake.

Right back to Hillary. Always searching for what she wants. Going down the only road she's ever known. And she's made up her mind and ain't wastin' no more time.
You're in the wrong genre.

Hillary came in with "Stand By Your Man" by Tammy Wynette, so she may leave with "Who's Sorry Now" by Connie Francis.

I don't think anything can beat that fake, honey drippin' Steel Magnolias accent that she dragged out back in the day. I mean, North Chicago Gold Coast suburbs to Wesleyan to Yale Law.... to trailer park, hilarious transformation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwXE52e9JFg

She and Obama have been very good in foreign policy IMO. They were given very difficult problems and have done a good job navigating them.

That's All - Genesis...

HAving a hard time placing this one. I would say it reeks of Sarah Palin but she isn't running, is she?

Oh yeah....

Come on Eileen - Dexy's Midnight Runners Top 25 80's tune right here.

Poor old Johnny Ray....... with thoughts verging on dirty. This is Biden all the way.

Vice President Biden, what would you say to the women of this country about your views on reproductive issues?

Biden: Too-ra-loo-ra-rye!

It works.

Oh yeah....

Come on Eileen - Dexy's Midnight Runners Top 25 80's tune right here.

Poor old Johnny Ray....... with thoughts verging on dirty. This is Biden all the way.
The New Wave stuff like this is catchy and pleasant at times. That's about all the 80s have to recommend it. The hair bands all are terrible.

If You Leave - OMD.

Touch you once, touch you twice. Won't let you go at any price.

Obama when he says he's running for a third term. Could work.

Always Something There to Remind Me..... Naked Eyes

JEB Bush. Done. Not getting any better unless there was an 80's song entitled, I Remember Your Brother and Because of That I Don't Want to Remember You.

Wait, that could work. I need to write that song. I'm going to message biggy. He could co-write. Forget this lawyer stuff.

Shake it Up - The Cars

A ridiculous song that is the epitome of the ridiculousness of the 80's and the music that we all love - well, all of us accept that freak narcissist in California who actually thinks hair bands aren't cool. That guy. Loser. Bet he writes books no one reads. Anyway, ridiculous song, stupid lyrics, no real message behind it accept that you should just drop everything and, "Shake it up." Because that is the true meaning of life. Just dance all night.

Elizabeth Warren. That's my call. You know she is a banshee after midnight in more ways than one, right? I'm not alone in this am I? Like a cougar on acid with a mean streak.

Heat of the Moment - Asia

Love this song. Love. That agape love that the bible talks about. It's all 80's.

Playing in the limo when Obama drives out of the White House complex for the last time. Right?

Did I kill the election talk yet? I can keep going. My pandora 80's station is awesomesauce and I really don't want to keep working on this trial brief. So I'm here all day.

Or can this get back to the Constitution? Remember that thing? The part of this thread that was interesting? Did it get disappeared in the great purge of '15?

Yup. Right now, no one in the thread but me. Nice.

And what comes on? Just Billy Idol and Dancing with Myself. It's like Pandora knows.

Shame on the 60 Democrats who walked out on Netanyahu. I may disagree with Bibi ( I do quite often) but he's the Prime Minister of one of our greatest allies. Israel has been and remains a force for good, much like the United States. When the leader of Israel addresses Congress, you listen. Shame on President Obama for not meeting with Netanyahu. That's disgraceful.

This reminds me of the policemen who turned their back on the Mayor of New York during that recent funeral- another shameful act. We are headed down a road of increased incivility in our public affairs. There is no excuse for it.

Shame on the 60 Democrats who walked out on Netanyahu. I may disagree with Bibi ( I do quite often) but he's the Prime Minister of one of our greatest allies. Israel has been and remains a force for good, much like the United States. When the leader of Israel addresses Congress, you listen. Shame on President Obama for not meeting with Netanyahu. That's disgraceful.

This reminds me of the policemen who turned their back on the Mayor of New York during that recent funeral- another shameful act. We are headed down a road of increased incivility in our public affairs. There is no excuse for it.
I agree it's shameful, a real black mark.

Cmon man, surely you know the following:

This is a political stunt by Boehner to say a big F you to Obama

This is an election speech for Bibi, delivered to his most influential constituents

This is nothing but an attempt to derail one of the Presidents most important foreign initiatives

Of course Democrats walked out. It was basically a huge F you to them and their party, not to mention our sitting President.

10. J Geils Band "Centerfold"

Even though I sometimes get the "na-na-na-na-na-na" part mixed up with the Smurfs theme, this song is a highlight for me personally and for the entire decade's musical catalogue. The band's frontman,Peter Wolf, was tailor-made for the '80s with his Mick Jagger swagger and exuberance, even though he had more than paid his dues before the band went pop. It may be undeniable that the group reached its highest level of success during the '80s, but this tune's memorable playfulness is a big reason why.

My thoughts; Very catchy, I have to admit. But it's bubblegum pop. The video had some hot girls in it. I also liked "Love Stinks" and "Must Have Got Lost" by this band. That "Freeze Frame" thing was horrific though.

Cmon man, surely you know the following:

This is a political stunt by Boehner to say a big F you to Obama

This is an election speech for Bibi, delivered to his most influential constituents

This is nothing but an attempt to derail one of the Presidents most important foreign initiatives

Of course Democrats walked out. It was basically a huge F you to them and their party, not to mention our sitting President.
Well, let's take your points one by one:

1. Yes it was a political stunt and a big F you to Obama. I agree.

2. Yes it was an election speech for Bibi. I agree with that too.

3. Yes it was an attempt to derail the President's initiative. But Netanyahu, and many Israelis, honestly believe that this particular initiative is a threat to the security of the State of israel. Personally I lean against this POV, but it's a legitimate one.

So I agree with each of your points. But despite all that, it was STILL disrespectful and STILL shameful. You sit there, you listen, you express your disagreement. That's what civilized people do. You reserve walkouts for criminals, people who have committed human rights violations, murderers, racists, etc. If I were at an event and Louis Farrakhan rose to speak, I would walk out. But for a western leader like Netanyahu who is essentially an honest man, I would NEVER walk out no matter how much I disagreed with him.

Surely you realized as your wrote that many, many people in this world feel Bibi is guilty of massive human rights violations, right? And there are legitimate cases to be made there?

Users who are viewing this thread