What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

timschochet's thread- Mods, please move this thread to the Politics Subforum, thank you (1 Viewer)

9. Endless Love- Diana Ross and Lionel Richie

Speaking of ballads and the '80s, it's impossible to go too far without discussing duets pairing male and female singers. There was no finer example of that phenomenon than this overwrought but undeniably engaging tune from 1981.Lionel Richie certainly covered this same kind of ground effectively in his solo career, but the addition of a capable female singer with whom to exchange verses raises this song to another level. It helped that Ross was beyond capable of carrying the song even all by herself

My thoughts: Hey I ####### warned you, didn't I? This piece of crap song is perfectly representative of the entire decade of music.

Surely you realized as your wrote that many, many people in this world feel Bibi is guilty of massive human rights violations, right? And there are legitimate cases to be made there?
So far as I know, none of those people who speak of are members of the House of Representatives. And their stated reasons for walking out on Netanyahu did not include Israeli human rights violations.

10. J Geils Band "Centerfold"

Even though I sometimes get the "na-na-na-na-na-na" part mixed up with the Smurfs theme, this song is a highlight for me personally and for the entire decade's musical catalogue. The band's frontman,Peter Wolf, was tailor-made for the '80s with his Mick Jagger swagger and exuberance, even though he had more than paid his dues before the band went pop. It may be undeniable that the group reached its highest level of success during the '80s, but this tune's memorable playfulness is a big reason why.

My thoughts; Very catchy, I have to admit. But it's bubblegum pop. The video had some hot girls in it. I also liked "Love Stinks" and "Must Have Got Lost" by this band. That "Freeze Frame" thing was horrific though.
Great song.

9. Endless Love- Diana Ross and Lionel Richie

Speaking of ballads and the '80s, it's impossible to go too far without discussing duets pairing male and female singers. There was no finer example of that phenomenon than this overwrought but undeniably engaging tune from 1981.Lionel Richie certainly covered this same kind of ground effectively in his solo career, but the addition of a capable female singer with whom to exchange verses raises this song to another level. It helped that Ross was beyond capable of carrying the song even all by herself

My thoughts: Hey I ####### warned you, didn't I? This piece of crap song is perfectly representative of the entire decade of music.
Solid 80's balad.

8. Total Eclipse of the Heart- Bonnie Tyler

One of the greatest '80s collaborations was undoubtedly this Welsh female singer with the unmistakable, gravelly voice and Jim Steinman, songwriter and producer of Meat Loaf fame. It was a match made in heaven, as Steinman's gift for lyrical bombast and over-the-top arrangements to match helped him produce his finest musical moment. In concert, Tyler's gritty but sensitive voice perfectly conveyed the longing of this great love song.

My thoughts: I actually like this song. I love Meat Loaf's first album, and this song, by the same writer, has that epic "Bat out of Hell" feel to it. Whether or not it's one of the best songs of this putrid decade I don't know. But it's very good song.

7. Whitney Houston- "So Emotional"

The late, great pop diva Whitney Houston's '80s heyday produced several singles worthy of inclusion on best-of lists, but this one represents her best blend of danceable beats and an irrepressible chorus. Houston was an indisputably fine, precise singer, but perhaps her best attribute was her ability to select top-notch material. This tune is a celebration of an '80s pluckiness we're not likely to see again, and it's so infectious that even a lot of rock fans found themselves subject to its seduction.

My thoughts: Not even close to her best song. That would be Dolly's "I Will Always Love You". "I Wanna Dance With Somebody" is also better than this. I challenge the writer that "a lot of rock fans found themselves subject to it's seduction." Who are those "rock" fans? Maybe Yankee in Jersey with his bad taste. Who else?

Last edited by a moderator:
Surely you realized as your wrote that many, many people in this world feel Bibi is guilty of massive human rights violations, right? And there are legitimate cases to be made there?
So far as I know, none of those people who speak of are members of the House of Representatives. And their stated reasons for walking out on Netanyahu did not include Israeli human rights violations.
Still likely figures into their respect for the man. Which would be part of the decision, if unstated.

Just watched Obama's rebuttal to Bibi and seemed like it made a lot of sense. Bibi should have brought a plan instead of a stump speech about shared destiny. Wasted opportunity for Israel. Good campaign stunt for him.

Shame on the 60 Democrats who walked out on Netanyahu. I may disagree with Bibi ( I do quite often) but he's the Prime Minister of one of our greatest allies. Israel has been and remains a force for good, much like the United States. When the leader of Israel addresses Congress, you listen. Shame on President Obama for not meeting with Netanyahu. That's disgraceful.

This reminds me of the policemen who turned their back on the Mayor of New York during that recent funeral- another shameful act. We are headed down a road of increased incivility in our public affairs. There is no excuse for it.
Cmon man, surely you know the following:

This is a political stunt by Boehner to say a big F you to Obama

This is an election speech for Bibi, delivered to his most influential constituents

This is nothing but an attempt to derail one of the Presidents most important foreign initiatives

Of course Democrats walked out. It was basically a huge F you to them and their party, not to mention our sitting President.
You make it sound like an Obama state of the union speech, only reversed.

6. Sweet Child O' Mine- Guns N' Roses

As raw and unabashed as they were, Axl Rose and his then-mates knew how to craft intricate and polished rock songs. The band's sound was no happy accident, and this song more than any other reveals Guns N' Roses at its peak collectively and individually. Never has Rose revealed his versatility as a singer more completely than through the calm verses and more fierce chorus sections of the tune. It's a tour de force of rock guitar buoyed by an unexpected lyrical sweetness, and the song's broad appeal helped take 1987's Appetite for Destructionhttp://erclk.about.com/?zi=1/3Wfu to a mainstream music pinnacle no one could have expected.

My thoughts: probably deserves to be the #1 song of the 80s, by default, since there's little to choose from. Slash's riff makes the song interesting. Otherwise, it's a typical catchy bubblegum with some power chords thrown in, and with Axl trying to pretend he's Davy Jones (dig that groovy dance!)

There are many and those would be mostly people who would support genocide of the Jewish population.

8. Total Eclipse of the Heart- Bonnie Tyler

One of the greatest '80s collaborations was undoubtedly this Welsh female singer with the unmistakable, gravelly voice and Jim Steinman, songwriter and producer of Meat Loaf fame. It was a match made in heaven, as Steinman's gift for lyrical bombast and over-the-top arrangements to match helped him produce his finest musical moment. In concert, Tyler's gritty but sensitive voice perfectly conveyed the longing of this great love song.

My thoughts: I actually like this song. I love Meat Loaf's first album, and this song, by the same writer, has that epic "Bat out of Hell" feel to it. Whether or not it's one of the best songs of this putrid decade I don't know. But it's very good song.
Great song.

7. Whitney Houston- "So Emotional"

The late, great pop diva Whitney Houston's '80s heyday produced several singles worthy of inclusion on best-of lists, but this one represents her best blend of danceable beats and an irrepressible chorus. Houston was an indisputably fine, precise singer, but perhaps her best attribute was her ability to select top-notch material. This tune is a celebration of an '80s pluckiness we're not likely to see again, and it's so infectious that even a lot of rock fans found themselves subject to its seduction.

My thoughts: Not even close to her best song. That would be Dolly's "I Will Always Love You". "I Wanna Dance With Somebody" is also better than this. I challenge the writer that "a lot of rock fans found themselves subject to it's seduction." Who are those "rock" fans? Maybe Yankee in Jersey with his bad taste. Who else?
This song sucks.

5. With You or Without You- U2

U2's track to stardom (not to mention its ensuing legendary status as well) has been an intriguing one, filled with explorations of a variety of music styles and artistic approaches. However, this tune, one of many excellent songs fromThe Joshua Treehttp://erclk.about.com/?zi=1/3Wft, strikes a perfect balance of pop and rock sensibilities. It's catchy, beautiful and hauntingly memorable, and somehow it remains both a document of its era and a timeless classic. Plus, it doesn't hurt that the song has one of the best if simplest bass lines in rock history.

My thoughts: First off, I would have "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" in my top 10 80s songs. Not this one. I would also consider "Bad" for my top 50. That's about the point I run out of decent U2 songs.

I'm honestly not sure which is more overrated: The Joshua Tree as an album, or U2 as a band. I'd like to proclaim Bono as the most pretentious rock singer ever, but that's a very competitive list. I'd like to proclaim him as the whiniest vocalist of the 1980s, but I have to also consider Morrisey and Robert Smith and I can't do it.

6. Sweet Child O' Mine- Guns N' Roses

As raw and unabashed as they were, Axl Rose and his then-mates knew how to craft intricate and polished rock songs. The band's sound was no happy accident, and this song more than any other reveals Guns N' Roses at its peak collectively and individually. Never has Rose revealed his versatility as a singer more completely than through the calm verses and more fierce chorus sections of the tune. It's a tour de force of rock guitar buoyed by an unexpected lyrical sweetness, and the song's broad appeal helped take 1987's Appetite for Destructionhttp://erclk.about.com/?zi=1/3Wfu to a mainstream music pinnacle no one could have expected.

My thoughts: probably deserves to be the #1 song of the 80s, by default, since there's little to choose from. Slash's riff makes the song interesting. Otherwise, it's a typical catchy bubblegum with some power chords thrown in, and with Axl trying to pretend he's Davy Jones (dig that groovy dance!)
Great song. You suck. Not to the top 80's song.

U2's track to stardom (not to mention its ensuing legendary status as well) has been an intriguing one, filled with explorations of a variety of music styles and artistic approaches. However, this tune, one of many excellent songs fromThe Joshua Treehttp://erclk.about.com/?zi=1/3Wft, strikes a perfect balance of pop and rock sensibilities. It's catchy, beautiful and hauntingly memorable, and somehow it remains both a document of its era and a timeless classic. Plus, it doesn't hurt that the song has one of the best if simplest bass lines in rock history.

My thoughts: First off, I would have "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" in my top 10 80s songs. Not this one. I would also consider "Bad" for my top 50. That's about the point I run out of decent U2 songs.

I'm honestly not sure which is more overrated: The Joshua Tree as an album, or U2 as a band. I'd like to proclaim Bono as the most pretentious rock singer ever, but that's a very competitive list. I'd like to proclaim him as the whiniest vocalist of the 1980s, but I have to also consider Morrisey and Robert Smith and I can't do it.
Great song. Where the Streets Have No Name will always be my favorite from their discography, but love this song as well.

I'm beginning to think that you are trying to channel an inner Mark Twain and just attack something so perfect as 80's music. Joshua Tree overrated? Are you out of your Vulcan mind man?

Even though I sometimes get the "na-na-na-na-na-na" part mixed up with the Smurfs theme, this song is a highlight for me personally and for the entire decade's musical catalogue. The band's frontman,Peter Wolf, was tailor-made for the '80s with his Mick Jagger swagger and exuberance, even though he had more than paid his dues before the band went pop. It may be undeniable that the group reached its highest level of success during the '80s, but this tune's memorable playfulness is a big reason why.

My thoughts; Very catchy, I have to admit. But it's bubblegum pop. The video had some hot girls in it. I also liked "Love Stinks" and "Must Have Got Lost" by this band. That "Freeze Frame" thing was horrific though.
Great song.
Kind of an embarrassing song by the mighty Geils Band

4. Jump- Van Halen

Some '70s and '80s hard rock bands turned to pop out of desperation or just pure greed as the hair metal phenomenon kicked off. In the case of Van Halen, the stylistic turn seemed as organic and wonderful as the splendid synthesizer riff that fuels this tune, or David Lee Roth's exuberant leap, or Eddie Van Halen's infectious grin. On this one occasion, the band wrote a nearly perfect pop song, and unfortunately it spent the remainder of the decade rolling slowly downhill from this moment.

My thoughts: All right, I'm OK with this. Even though they are a hair band, this a great pop song. I actually like "Dance the Night Away" nearly as much. But I have no problem with the song in the list, or even close to the top of the list.

Great song. Where the Streets Have No Name will always be my favorite from their discography, but love this song as well.

I'm beginning to think that you are trying to channel an inner Mark Twain and just attack something so perfect as 80's music. Joshua Tree overrated? Are you out of your Vulcan mind man?
It's widely regarded as one of the great albums in rock history. It's a good album with a few catchy songs, that's all.

Great song.
Kind of an embarrassing song by the mighty Geils Band
It's 80's though man. Total 80's. Greatness. The video of them dancing in the classroom? I mean, what middle aged white guy hasn't danced that dance with the little white man overbite and thought to himself, yeah I got it.

4. Jump- Van Halen

Some '70s and '80s hard rock bands turned to pop out of desperation or just pure greed as the hair metal phenomenon kicked off. In the case of Van Halen, the stylistic turn seemed as organic and wonderful as the splendid synthesizer riff that fuels this tune, or David Lee Roth's exuberant leap, or Eddie Van Halen's infectious grin. On this one occasion, the band wrote a nearly perfect pop song, and unfortunately it spent the remainder of the decade rolling slowly downhill from this moment.

My thoughts: All right, I'm OK with this. Even though they are a hair band, this a great pop song. I actually like "Dance the Night Away" nearly as much. But I have no problem with the song in the list, or even close to the top of the list.
Awesome song.

It's widely regarded as one of the great albums in rock history. It's a good album with a few catchy songs, that's all.
Sadly, the news of your death was greatly exaggerated.

3. I Want To Know What Love Is- Foreigner

Foreigner enjoyed a number of hits in the '80s, but none reached a level of over-the-top romantic longing as high as this keyboard-heavy love ballad does. Guitarist Mick Jones has always been an underrated songwriter, and his command was never on finer display than when the calmness of this tune's verses explode into a crescendo of a chorus perfectly suited for Lou Gramm's impressively high vocal range. When the gospel chorus kicks in at the end, it's a perfectly appropriate topping for this confection.

My thoughts: Really? I don't hate this song, it can be infectious to listen to at times (so can "We Are the World", a similar song, for that matter) but top 3? It's not even on my Foreigner playlist. Foreigner, like Styx, Journey, & REO Speedwagon, had some nice rock-pop hits in the late 70s/early 80s pre-hair band era of music. Like the other bands I just mentioned, none of Foreigner's output can be called great or all time classic; just fun and catchy and a whole lot better than the Whitesnake-Poison-Motley Crue crap that replaced them later in the decade.

2. Eye of the Tiger- Survivor

This Chicago-area mainstream power rock band known mostly for its power ballads always had a knack for delivering lyrics that stand among the most bombastic of the decade. But with this song, featured prominently and appropriately in the film Rocky IIIhttp://erclk.about.com/?zi=1/3Wfs,Survivor brought fist-pumping arena rockto an entirely new plane of soaring bravado. The somewhat silly overuse of metaphor and cliche at times grows a bit offputting, but the hold of the melody and power-chord opening is undeniable.

My thoughts: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I guess "Don't Stop Believin'" was unavailable.

Foreigner enjoyed a number of hits in the '80s, but none reached a level of over-the-top romantic longing as high as this keyboard-heavy love ballad does. Guitarist Mick Jones has always been an underrated songwriter, and his command was never on finer display than when the calmness of this tune's verses explode into a crescendo of a chorus perfectly suited for Lou Gramm's impressively high vocal range. When the gospel chorus kicks in at the end, it's a perfectly appropriate topping for this confection.

My thoughts: Really? I don't hate this song, it can be infectious to listen to at times (so can "We Are the World", a similar song, for that matter) but top 3? It's not even on my Foreigner playlist. Foreigner, like Styx, Journey, & REO Speedwagon, had some nice rock-pop hits in the late 70s/early 80s pre-hair band era of music. Like the other bands I just mentioned, none of Foreigner's output can be called great or all time classic; just fun and catchy and a whole lot better than the Whitesnake-Poison-Motley Crue crap that replaced them later in the decade.
Foreigner is awesome. This song is awesome. You, sir, are not awesome.

And Juke Box Hero is criminaly underrated as far as 80's music goes.

2. Eye of the Tiger- Survivor

This Chicago-area mainstream power rock band known mostly for its power ballads always had a knack for delivering lyrics that stand among the most bombastic of the decade. But with this song, featured prominently and appropriately in the film Rocky IIIhttp://erclk.about.com/?zi=1/3Wfs,Survivor brought fist-pumping arena rockto an entirely new plane of soaring bravado. The somewhat silly overuse of metaphor and cliche at times grows a bit offputting, but the hold of the melody and power-chord opening is undeniable.

My thoughts: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I guess "Don't Stop Believin'" was unavailable.
Great song. Quintissential 80's at its finest. After you get done telling the people of New Jersey that Bon Jovi sucks, and you recover in the hospital, I suggest you drive over the bridge to Philly and repeat what you said here. At some point I think you get frequent flyer miles at our area trauma centers.

1, Every Breath You Take- The Police

Regardless of how many times this song is played, it retains a magic that exists only for the most solidly constructed, universally themed and uniquely presented musical compositions. Sting's songwriting centerpiece from 1983'sSynchronicityhttp://erclk.about.com/?zi=1/3Wfr achieves a rare pop/rock perfection, featuring a top-notch vocal performance, a groundbreaking guitar riff and a highly personal lyrical theme exploring obsession, heartbreak and romantic doom that somehow seems familiar in spite of its fierce originality. Definitely one of the finest moments of the career of The Police as well as the '80s music scene as a whole.

My thoughts: Great song. Too bad it's a total ripoff. "More than I Can Say", written in 1959 and re-recorded by Leo Sayer in 1980 has the exact same melody and chord progressions.

John Boehner is bringing up a vote today to pass DHS spending for a year. It's a clean bill, no riders. It will pass, mostly with Democratic support.

Conservatives warned, as late as last Friday, that if he did this there would be hell to pay and that Boehner would be out of a job. Today they are strangely silent. Boehner called their bluff. Now what?

Regardless of how many times this song is played, it retains a magic that exists only for the most solidly constructed, universally themed and uniquely presented musical compositions. Sting's songwriting centerpiece from 1983'sSynchronicityhttp://erclk.about.com/?zi=1/3Wfr achieves a rare pop/rock perfection, featuring a top-notch vocal performance, a groundbreaking guitar riff and a highly personal lyrical theme exploring obsession, heartbreak and romantic doom that somehow seems familiar in spite of its fierce originality. Definitely one of the finest moments of the career of The Police as well as the '80s music scene as a whole.

My thoughts: Great song. Too bad it's a total ripoff. "More than I Can Say", written in 1959 and re-recorded by Leo Sayer in 1980 has the exact same melody and chord progressions.
Great song. I don't know if I would make it #1 of the 80's though.

EBYT has a basic chord structure of G-Eminor-C-D-G. That structure is a pretty standard in a variety of music because of the key. And the bridge is in D# and F which work with that structure.

The chord progressions don't make for plaguerism. And the meoldy really isn't that similar. That you can sing one song over the other just means they are in the same key and beat. A ton of songs are. Check out 4 chords on youtube. There are a ton of songs in the same key. And you can play all of them over each other.

John Boehner is bringing up a vote today to pass DHS spending for a year. It's a clean bill, no riders. It will pass, mostly with Democratic support.

Conservatives warned, as late as last Friday, that if he did this there would be hell to pay and that Boehner would be out of a job. Today they are strangely silent. Boehner called their bluff. Now what?
Everyone will be kung fu fighting?

I don't agree with that 80's list at all. Far too many great songs left off.

Where was Take on Me? That just screams 80's. Livin' on a Prayer should be there as well (yes tim, you are the only one here without an 80's music soul). Sweet Dreams? You dare ignore Annie Lennox? When Doves Cry? You best be lovin' some Prince.

Yeah, a top 10 80's list isn't easy because there was so much greatness. Any top 10 has like a billion-million songs to choose from. Girls Just Wanna Have Fun? Yeah, that was great. Or how about Wake Me Up Before You Go Go? The question was so powerful they stuttered at the end and said Go twice. That makes it a great song.

A lot of those songs don't scream 80's.....I would go with songs like...When Doves Cry, Time after Time, I Ran, Careless Whisper, I Can't Go For That, Our Lips are Sealed, Burning Down the House, Call Me.

I Can't Go for That...... another awesome song.

Yeah tim, your list sucks. Which you said it would - but for different reasons.

When compiling a list of top songs of the '80s, it's not possible to ignore Michael Jackson. Any list that does only proves its own uselessness.

Wife and I have been working on coming up with 5 albums of 80's music that we should buy for our oldest so that he can get a feel for the 80's. We agreed on 4 of them without blinking

1. Slippery When Wet - Bon Jovi

2. Appetite for Destruction - Guns & Roses

3. Hysteria - Def Leppard

4. Joshua Tree - U2

The 5th has caused much rancor in our blissful marriage. Sure, we can go over 5 if necessary, but the arguments have been fun. I have offered as potentials the following:

Thriller

Synchronicity

Purple Rain

Graceland

Eliminator

Kick

Licensed to Ill

She has offered

Born in the USA

Footloose Soundtrack (I consider this a cheat)

Invisible Touch

Pump

Lionel Richie

We are stuck at an impasse.

Wife and I have been working on coming up with 5 albums of 80's music that we should buy for our oldest so that he can get a feel for the 80's. We agreed on 4 of them without blinking

4. Joshua Tree - U2

The 5th has caused much rancor in our blissful marriage. Sure, we can go over 5 if necessary, but the arguments have been fun. I have offered as potentials the following:

Thriller

Synchronicity

Purple Rain

Graceland

Eliminator

Kick

Licensed to Ill

She has offered

Born in the USA

Invisible Touch

Pump

Lionel Richie

Yankee23Fan said:

4. Joshua Tree - U2

Thriller

Synchronicity

Purple Rain

Graceland

Eliminator

Kick

Licensed to Ill

She has offered

Born in the USA

Invisible Touch

Pump

Lionel Richie

Thriller without a moments hesitation and I think you have hair rock fairly well covered already. Remove Def Leppard and put in Licensed to Ill.

And you are right to consider a soundtrack cheating.

Tim, as a follow up this was the source for the information about the Clinton campaign being behind the original dirt digging on Jeremiah Wright:

http://gawker.com/5991563/hacked-emails-show-hillary-clinton-was-receiving-advice-at-a-private-email-account-from-banned-obama-hating-former-staffer#
Hillary has a history of working with some sleazy types. **** Morris is another one. Saints I know all this stuff is fun for the Clinton haters but I don't think it's going to make the slightest difference in terms of the election.

Thriller and Purple Rain are both great all time albums. Joshua Tree is overrated. Graceland is a great album though Rhythm of the Saints which followed it is even better.

Anything by Bon Jovi doesn't even belong on the discussion. Bon Jovi, Motley Crüe, Poison, Whitesnake, White Lion, Slayer, other white animals, etc- this is when rock music went to ####.

Tim, as a follow up this was the source for the information about the Clinton campaign being behind the original dirt digging on Jeremiah Wright:

http://gawker.com/5991563/hacked-emails-show-hillary-clinton-was-receiving-advice-at-a-private-email-account-from-banned-obama-hating-former-staffer#
Hillary has a history of working with some sleazy types. **** Morris is another one.Saints I know all this stuff is fun for the Clinton haters but I don't think it's going to make the slightest difference in terms of the election.
I was just harkening back to a prior conversation we had.

I agree the politics is a whole other issue. I don't think any Democrat or Republican has actually been taken out by scandal since Gary Hart in ~1988.

Last edited by a moderator:
My top ten 80s songs in no particular order:

Sweet Child o Mine- Guns n Roses

I Don't Like Mondays- The Boomtown Rats

The Ghost In You- The Psychedelic Furs

Everybody Wants to Rule The World- Tears for Fears

I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For- U2

Time after Time- Cyndi Lauper

When Doves Cry- Prince

I Melt With You- Modern English

I Could Walk 500 Miles- The Proclaimers

Jump- Van Halen

timschochet said:
Clifford said:
timschochet said:
Shame on the 60 Democrats who walked out on Netanyahu. I may disagree with Bibi ( I do quite often) but he's the Prime Minister of one of our greatest allies. Israel has been and remains a force for good, much like the United States. When the leader of Israel addresses Congress, you listen. Shame on President Obama for not meeting with Netanyahu. That's disgraceful.

This reminds me of the policemen who turned their back on the Mayor of New York during that recent funeral- another shameful act. We are headed down a road of increased incivility in our public affairs. There is no excuse for it.
Cmon man, surely you know the following:

This is a political stunt by Boehner to say a big F you to Obama

This is an election speech for Bibi, delivered to his most influential constituents

This is nothing but an attempt to derail one of the Presidents most important foreign initiatives

Of course Democrats walked out. It was basically a huge F you to them and their party, not to mention our sitting President.
Well, let's take your points one by one:

1. Yes it was a political stunt and a big F you to Obama. I agree.

2. Yes it was an election speech for Bibi. I agree with that too.

3. Yes it was an attempt to derail the President's initiative. But Netanyahu, and many Israelis, honestly believe that this particular initiative is a threat to the security of the State of israel. Personally I lean against this POV, but it's a legitimate one.

So I agree with each of your points. But despite all that, it was STILL disrespectful and STILL shameful. You sit there, you listen, you express your disagreement. That's what civilized people do. You reserve walkouts for criminals, people who have committed human rights violations, murderers, racists, etc. If I were at an event and Louis Farrakhan rose to speak, I would walk out. But for a western leader like Netanyahu who is essentially an honest man, I would NEVER walk out no matter how much I disagreed with him.
Honestly find it more disrespectful of Bibi to accept the invitation.

So he made the bed. Now he gets to lay in it.

timschochet said:

Prefer Hot Blooded or in a pinch Juke box hero.

But, Whitesnake made two pretty darn good albums, the best being Slide it in,

timschochet said:

De Do Da Da, Message in a Bottle, Roxanne are far, far better

Rich Conway said:
When compiling a list of top songs of the '80s, it's not possible to ignore Michael Jackson. Any list that does only proves its own uselessness.
I could easily do that, but not leave off Talking Heads. I'd have to consider the B-52s.

Users who are viewing this thread