What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

timschochet's thread- Mods, please move this thread to the Politics Subforum, thank you (1 Viewer)

13. Neil Armstrong

Mystery creates wonder and wonder is the basis of man's desire to understand.

Earlier during these rankings somebody (I can't remember who now) anticipated correctly that I would give Armstrong a high spot and argued against it, making the point that Armstrong just happened to be in the right place at the right time and really didn't deserve to be ranked such a great American over others who were more personally responsible for their innovations or statesmanship, etc. It was a pretty good argument.

But obviously I disagree.

Armstrong is representative, correctly IMO, of our entire space program. His is the most famous name of that program, and deservedly so, because he was the first man to walk on the moon. Now that nearly 50 years have gone by since that happened, it seems to me that we have started to underrate that accomplishment. But it may be the single greatest accomplishment in this nation's history. We sent men to the moon! (If you believe it really happened, that is. :tinfoilhat: )

In any case, Neii is one of our greatest heroes and there's no way he doesn't get a really high ranking. Not on my watch.

Next up: Wanted to create a "spirit phone" to talk to dead people...

Last edited by a moderator:
13. Neal Armstrong

Mystery creates wonder and wonder is the basis of man's desire to understand.

Earlier during these rankings somebody (I can't remember who now) anticipated correctly that I would give Armstrong a high spot and argued against it, making the point that Armstrong just happened to be in the right place at the right time and really didn't deserve to be ranked such a great American over others who were more personally responsible for their innovations or statesmanship, etc. It was a pretty good argument.

But obviously I disagree.

Armstrong is representative, correctly IMO, of our entire space program. His is the most famous name of that program, and deservedly so, because he was the first man to walk on the moon. Now that nearly 50 years have gone by since that happened, it seems to me that we have started to underrate that accomplishment. But it may be the single greatest accomplishment in this nation's history. We sent men to the moon! (If you believe it really happened, that is. :tinfoilhat: )

In any case, Neal is one of our greatest heroes and there's no way he doesn't get a really high ranking. Not on my watch.

Next up: Wanted to create a "spirit phone" to talk to dead people...
Neal?

12. Thomas Edison

Many of life's failures are people who did not realize just how close they were to success when they gave up.

I'm going to try and finish this up today, because for most of these guys the write-ups are going to be much shorter from this point forward. If you're reading this, you should know who they are and why they are here, and any description I could do would be weak and insulting to their greatness.

Edison had a remarkable number of patents. Unfortunately, the Spirit Phone wasn't one of them as he never got around to a specific design. Too bad.

Up next: our greatest immigrant...

11. Albert Einstein

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

At a time when there is a large hostility in this country to refugees and immigration in general, we might want to remember the greatest example in both categories. Einstein's most significant achievements came before he ever arrived on these shores, but that makes him no less a great American.

Up next: A varsity wrestler from the University of Minnesota...

11. Albert Einstein

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

At a time when there is a large hostility in this country to refugees and immigration in general, we might want to remember the greatest example in both categories. Einstein's most significant achievements came before he ever arrived on these shores, but that makes him no less a great American.

Can't argue against Al being our greatest immigrant, but did I miss Wernher Von Braun?

11. Albert Einstein

Can't argue against Al being our greatest immigrant, but did I miss Wernher Von Braun?
I was at the cemetery where Von Braun is buried a few weeks ago. Pretty cool to see people who have left toy rockets on his grave site.

If greatest immigrant has been named, does that mean no Tesla?

Yes, it means no Tesla and no Von Braun, though I considered both.

Tesla is a very important inventor, but he does get over mentioned by conspiracy theorists a lot. Von Braun and Enrico Fermi were guys I really struggled with but I couldn't find room for them.

I really wanted to find room for Von Braun so that I could repeat my favorite Mort Sahl joke: Von Braun's autobiography was called I Aim For the Stars; Sahl said that it really should be called I Aim For The Stars But Sometimes Hit London. (Von Braun designed the V-1 and V-2 rockets for the Nazis).

So Michael Trout, the best baseball of our generation, got screwed yet again yesterday. That's 3 times in 4 years. It seems to me that if you have the best WAR you should be the MVP. Trout didn't have as good a batting average as Donaldson, but the difference wasn't extreme. He also doesn't have as many RBIs, but that is often a product of how good your team is. Trout is a much better fielder, much better on the bases, more dangerous with a bat in his hand, and simply a more valuable player. Once again, he was robbed. This is getting to be a pattern.
Not so sure Trout is a much better fielder.

Donaldson was pretty great this year.

10. Norman Borlaug

Without enough food, all other components of social justice are meaningless.

Norman Borlaug is arguably the least known guy on this entire list. That is shameful. His ought to be a household name, both here and around the world. There is still time for us to rectify this.

Borlaug, who won the Nobel Peace Prize in 1970, was the father of the "Green Revolution". By creating new variations of wheat, he effectively doubled the output in India and Pakistan, and saved nearly a billion people from starvation. This is not hyperbole! Let me repeat that: he saved nearly a billion people from starvation.

Back in the late 1960s, pessimistic authors like Paul Ehrlich predicted that the Earth's population would grow too large very shortly and that there would be massive famine before the end of the century, leading to worldwide panic, revolution, and anarchy. None of that happened, and Borlaug may be one of the major reasons.

Arguably Norman Borlaug is a savior of the entire world. Why then do I rank him at #10 and not at #1 with a bullet? Perhaps I should. But though Borlaug was an American from Minnesota (and a wrestler, hence the clue), his achievements were more important outside of America. And the 9 guys ranked above him have achievements that are more important to America itself. Still, Borlaug is clearly one of the highest all time greats.

Next up: the other duo on my list...

So Michael Trout, the best baseball of our generation, got screwed yet again yesterday. That's 3 times in 4 years. It seems to me that if you have the best WAR you should be the MVP. Trout didn't have as good a batting average as Donaldson, but the difference wasn't extreme. He also doesn't have as many RBIs, but that is often a product of how good your team is. Trout is a much better fielder, much better on the bases, more dangerous with a bat in his hand, and simply a more valuable player. Once again, he was robbed. This is getting to be a pattern.

Donaldson had a more spectacular year in highlights. But day to day fielding, no way is he better than Trout.

9. The Wright Brothers

The airplane stays up because it doesn't have time to fall.

That quote is from Orville Wright. I can't find a quote, anywhere, from Wilbur- guess he wasn't a talkative guy.

Anyhow, I don't really need to explain why these two are on the list, right? I feel stupid even making the attempt. Let's move on.

Up next: the first President to appear on television...

8. Franklin Delano Roosevelt

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hang on.

In my Presidential rankings, though FDR made the top 8, I was highly critical. No need to repeat that here. He saved the United States and western civilization from defeat and tyranny. And all from a wheelchair.

Up next: Swam the Thames River naked.

Donaldson had a more spectacular year in highlights. But day to day fielding, no way is he better than Trout.
Ehh.

Trout was a 9.0 WAR player by FanGraphs, and Donaldson 8.7 - there's definitely an argument Trout was better (I'd certainly pick him first in a draft), but that argument is not on defense. Your highlight comment actually should refer to Trout, whose position in CF allows him to make a number of more highlight-worthy plays, but he isn't really a great CF.

DRS: Trout - 5, Donaldson - 11 (Donaldson significantly better)

UZR:Trout - 0.2, Donaldson - 9.2 (Donaldson significantly better)

UZR/150:Trout - 0.3, Donaldson - 9.8 (Donaldson significantly better)

RangeRuns:Trout - (-2.3), Donaldson - 9.9 (Donaldson significantly better)

Error Runs: Trout - 1.9, Donaldson - (-0.3) (Trout better)

The only place Trout beats Donaldson is traditional Fielding percentage (1.000 to .959). Donaldson had 18 errors this year. These are the stats that MLB teams and player agents use to make arguments in contract negotiations regarding the value of a player's defense.

I think you would be hard pressed to find more than a handful (or even a handful) of front office guys who think Trout played better defense than Donladson.

9. The Wright Brothers

That quote is from Orville Wright. I can't find a quote, anywhere, from Wilbur- guess he wasn't a talkative guy.

Anyhow, I don't really need to explain why these two are on the list, right? I feel stupid even making the attempt. Let's move on.

I'm a distant relative according to my dad.

:coffee:

9. The Wright Brothers

That is pretty awesome. How distant?

9. The Wright Brothers

That is pretty awesome. How distant?
3 generations - back to Ohio

I need to get more details. Will work on that over Thanksgiving.

7. Benjamin Franklin

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.

If this were a list of coolest Americans, Ben would probably be #1. In fact, he might need to be #1 anyhow. It's pretty interchangeable at this point.

Up next: the guy on the $5,000 bill...

New theory

Tim names Trump #1, hits us all on the back of the head with a metaphorical steel chair, grabs the belt and walks out of the ring in the ultimate heel turn.

9. The Wright Brothers

umm

not to nitpick, but that is 2 people

Sigh.

I've not wanted to comment on these, even given the Billie Jean King travesty (no, tim, no), but Steve Jobs at 15 seems...shall we say, a tad bit high?

In any case, I'm only here to ask for more "mediumest" posts. Plz thks.
Hopefully you'll comment on my 100 favorite novels. But anyhow I appreciate you taking the time to read it.
I'm enjoying the 100 greatest Americans a lot. Thanks for doing it. Will definitely be interested in the novels.

6. James Madison

If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.

The time to pay close attention to the father of our Constitution and the Bill of Rights is now.

Up next: Married the mistress of Pablo Picasso...

9. The Wright Brothers

umm

really? Dammit I did not know that!

Sigh.

I've not wanted to comment on these, even given the Billie Jean King travesty (no, tim, no), but Steve Jobs at 15 seems...shall we say, a tad bit high?

In any case, I'm only here to ask for more "mediumest" posts. Plz thks.
Hopefully you'll comment on my 100 favorite novels. But anyhow I appreciate you taking the time to read it.
I'm enjoying the 100 greatest Americans a lot. Thanks for doing it. Will definitely be interested in the novels.
:wub:

9. The Wright Brothers

umm

just saying, there's gonna be at least 101 people on your top 100 list

it's like a common core list or something

Lewis and Clark both get a singular rank, the Wright Brothers get a singular rank. But poor Buzz Aldrin gets left out because Neil got his space suit on faster or was closer to the exit door.

5. Jonas Salk

The reward for work well done is the opportunity to do more.

Pretty selfless guy. Never sought a patent for his polio vaccine. Would anyone have blamed him for charging 10 cents a vaccine? But he didn't want any of it, and so died a mildly wealthy man rather than incredibly rich. Before he died, he spent time trying to fight HIV.

Up next: Never went to college because his mom couldn't afford it...

9. The Wright Brothers

umm

just saying, there's gonna be at least 101 people on your top 100 list

it's like a common core list or something
102 actually.

4. George Washington

It is far better to be alone, than to be in bad company.

The father of our country! In the words of Wikkidpissah, nufced.

Up next: He designed a university...

Last edited by a moderator:
3. Thomas Jefferson

In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This one's for you, Yankee!

Up next: Originally named Michael...

2. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.

No explanation needed.

Up next: there's only one guy left. Who's missing?

1. You

Yes, YOU!

You are the product of this great nation, a shining example of what America has become. Go and live! Do great things! The common American citizen is what makes America so great.

100 Greatest Americans

1. Abraham Lincoln

2. Martin Luther King, Jr.

3. Thomas Jefferson

4. George Washington

5. Jonas Salk

6. James Madison

7. Benjamin Franklin

8. Franklin D. Roosevelt

9. The Wright Brothers

10. Norman Borlaug

11. Albert Einstein

12. Thomas Edison

13. Neil Armstrong

14. Henry Ford

15. Steve Jobs

16. Harry S. Truman

17. Bill Gates

18. Andrew Jackson

19. John Adams

20. Mark Twain

21. Muhammad Ali

22. Teddy Roosevelt

23.Jackie Robinson

24. Edward R. Murrow

25. Ulysses S. Grant

26. Thomas Paine

27. Walt Disney

28. Charles Lindbergh

29. Barack Obama

31. Lewis and Clark

32. William Levitt

33. Bob Dylan

34. William Randolph Hearst

35. Susan B. Anthony

36. Davy Crockett

37. Douglas MacArthur

38. Elvis Presley

39. Babe Ruth

40. Ernest Hemingway

41. J. Robert Oppenheimer

42. William S. Paley

43. Hugh Hefner

44. Eleanor Roosevelt

45. Rosa Parks

46. Booker T. Washington

47. Dwight Eisenhower

48. Alexander Hamilton

49. Louis B. Mayer

50. Michael Jackson

51. Henry Luce

52. Frank Sinatra

53. Steven Spielberg

54. Lucky Luciano

55. Louis Armstrong

56. Sitting Bull

57. George Washington Carver

58. Robert E. Lee

59. Malcolm X

60. Joseph Smith

61. John Dewey

62. Daniel; Webster

63. William T. Sherman

64. John Wooden

65. Helen Keller

66. Cesar Chavez

67. Walter Cronkite

68. George C. Patton

69. John Muir

70. John D. Rockefeller

71. Henry Clay

72. Stephen King

73. Henry Kaiser

74. Earl Warren

75. Frank Lloyd Wright

76. Gregory Pincus

77. Oprah Winfrey

78. Harreit Beecher Stowe

79. Winfield Scott

80. Dr. Seuss

81. Stonewall Jackson

82. John Wayne

83. Jim Thorpe

84. Andrew Carnegie

85. Clarence Darrow

86. Howard Hughes

87. John Marshall

88. Brigham Young

89. Ray Croc

90. Marilyn Monroe

91. Rachel Carson

92. John L. Lewis

93. Madonna

94. Billy Graham

95. George Gershwin

96. Huey Long

97. Eli Whitney

98. Joseph R. McCarthy

99. John Brown

100. Billie Jean King

12. Thomas Edison

Many of life's failures are people who did not realize just how close they were to success when they gave up.

I'm going to try and finish this up today, because for most of these guys the write-ups are going to be much shorter from this point forward. If you're reading this, you should know who they are and why they are here, and any description I could do would be weak and insulting to their greatness.

Edison had a remarkable number of patents. Unfortunately, the Spirit Phone wasn't one of them as he never got around to a specific design. Too bad.

I took a tour of this guys lab and home in NJ a couple of years ago. I really enjoyed it. Very cool place to go if anyone ever in the NYC area.

100 Greatest Americans

5. Jonas Salk

9. The Wright Brothers

13. Neil Armstrong

14. Henry Ford

15. Steve Jobs

17. Bill Gates

18. Andrew Jackson

20. Mark Twain

21. Muhammad Ali
So, that's the 9 people you've listed that I think have no business being in front of Teddy. Not that I'd agree with the others being higher, just that they atleast have a legit case. Though I will say that Einstein only really rates based on his work before becoming an American.

Users who are viewing this thread