What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Toby Gerhart (1 Viewer)

Gerhart could take over the goal-line for AP

Posted on: April 23, 2010 7:44 pmScore: 151Rate This Post:Rate This Post: Rate This Post: Fair Good Cool Awesome I Love It! Toby Gerhart is an interesting selection for the Minnesota Vikings. With Adrian Peterson, obviously he won't be asked to take on the lead role. He could, however, take on a very prominent role as the Vikings' short yardage and goal line runner.

Peterson's struggles with fumbles have been well documented. The Vikings would be wise to limit the hits he'll take in the extremely physical short-yardage situations, as well.

These situations, however, is exactly where Gerhart can shine. Not only does he offer bullish power at 6-1, 235 pounds.

BusterTBronco said:
So, let me see if I got this straight. Touchdown Toby here passed on his final season of college eligibility. One in which he would have been the favorite to win the Heisman and his team would have been co-favorites to win the Pac-10. For what? To become Adrian Peterson's blocking fullback in Minnesota? When he looks back on this 10 years from now, I'm sure he will regret his choice.
No

BusterTBronco said:
So, let me see if I got this straight. Touchdown Toby here passed on his final season of college eligibility. One in which he would have been the favorite to win the Heisman and his team would have been co-favorites to win the Pac-10. For what? To become Adrian Peterson's blocking fullback in Minnesota? When he looks back on this 10 years from now, I'm sure he will regret his choice.
No
Chester Taylor played an awful lot last year. Plus, smart coaches use several RBs to spell each other.I'm curious what happens if Gerhart outplays AP, and AP continues to cough up the rock. Not a totally unlikely scenario. Last year the Vikes were more about Favre.

Hate Toby's destination from a FF standpoint. He would've had more value in a time share in CLE/HOU/PHI.

Love Toby's destination from an NFL standpoint. This isn't a guy whose style will allow him to handle 20 carries per game at the NFL level. But if you give him 10 touches every week, he's going to give it 100% and punish everyone who gets in his path. That will soften up defenses and allow Peterson to get more bang for his buck. Plus, he would be an adequate fill-in if Peterson were to get hurt. That's important.

Yea, it sucks that he landed behind a premium young starter, but Toby is no Brian Leonard. He'll get on the field and make a positive impact for the Vikes.

Hate Toby's destination from a FF standpoint. He would've had more value in a time share in CLE/HOU/PHI.Love Toby's destination from an NFL standpoint. This isn't a guy whose style will allow him to handle 20 carries per game at the NFL level. But if you give him 10 touches every week, he's going to give it 100% and punish everyone who gets in his path. That will soften up defenses and allow Peterson to get more bang for his buck. Plus, he would be an adequate fill-in if Peterson were to get hurt. That's important.
:goodposting: :lmao: :excited:

I feel bad for defenses that have to try and stop these guys. Just when they think they can relax after ADP gets tired, in comes a fresh Gerhart.

ChargersOH said:
Christo said:
BusterTBronco said:
No
Chester Taylor played an awful lot last year. Plus, smart coaches use several RBs to spell each other.I'm curious what happens if Gerhart outplays AP, and AP continues to cough up the rock. Not a totally unlikely scenario. Last year the Vikes were more about Favre.
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

BTW, worst pick of the night...thanks for a wasted day Vikes...just what we need, a slow white guy running the ball, we definitely need that way more than a solid young QB... :towelwave:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey VIking Dave. Long time no see.

Don't feel so bad. I think we are going to be ok. Have you watched tape on Gerhart? I have and I think he will be a great complement to ADP. I am sure that FAvre will be back this year and personally I haven't given up on Jackson being the future QB. He really did improve a lot from first to second year and hopefully he is learning from Favre. I would have liked to see them take an offensive lineman myself, but...I think we got a good back and you can never have too many.

ChargersOH said:
Christo said:
BusterTBronco said:
No
You actually think Toby Gerhart is going to outplay one of the fastest, strongest and most dynamic RBs to ever set foot on an NFL field?

Hey VIking Dave. Long time no see.Don't feel so bad. I think we are going to be ok. Have you watched tape on Gerhart? I have and I think he will be a great complement to ADP. I am sure that FAvre will be back this year and personally I haven't given up on Jackson being the future QB. He really did improve a lot from first to second year and hopefully he is learning from Favre. I would have liked to see them take an offensive lineman myself, but...I think we got a good back and you can never have too many.
hey az whats up...you can get RBs anywhere, they are a dime a dozen especially when you already have one of the best and only need a backup/breather guy to replace him for a few plays a game...the pick made no sense to me at all, what I saw of him last night he just looked slow and had no moves, I dont like it...I guess we'll see how bad they can screw up today...

BusterTBronco said:
No
You actually think Toby Gerhart is going to outplay one of the fastest, strongest and most dynamic RBs to ever set foot on an NFL field?
I like the pick. You've got nothing behind AP except for Albert Young.Gerhart really fills a void at RB, and gives them a legit goal line threat who

can hold onto the ball. It would have been good to see the Vikes take Pike,

or Skelton later in the draft, but i've got no problems with the Gerhart pick.

BTW, worst pick of the night...thanks for a wasted day Vikes...just what we need, a slow white guy running the ball, we definitely need that way more than a solid young QB... :mellow:
If ANY white RB has a chance to be a real impact player, it's this guy...I don't think you will hate the pick come next year at this time. I believe he could receive 25 carries per game and do just fine behind that line...

BTW, worst pick of the night...thanks for a wasted day Vikes...just what we need, a slow white guy running the ball, we definitely need that way more than a solid young QB... :unsure:
If ANY white RB has a chance to be a real impact player, it's this guy...I don't think you will hate the pick come next year at this time. I believe he could receive 25 carries per game and do just fine behind that line...
The Viking line wasn't all that great last year. There were a lot of times Peterson was getting tackled behind the line of scrimmage by a swarm of players. It was getting frustrating to watch as a Viking fan. Peterson's success last year had much more to do with his talent than that of the oline.Hopefully this year Hutchinson will be completely healthy, McKinnie will be more motivated more often, and the rest of the line will improve with last year's experience under their belts...

'BusterTBronco said:
Bad pick by the Vikings.
Not disagreeing but the kid never sees the field. ADP is really good. But, is Gerhart so bad that the Vikes would rather have a tired, beat up ADP than a fresh Gerhart during the entire game?

'BusterTBronco said:
Bad pick by the Vikings.
Not disagreeing but the kid never sees the field. ADP is really good. But, is Gerhart so bad that the Vikes would rather have a tired, beat up ADP than a fresh Gerhart during the entire game?
he is that bad or not really that good anyways, he hasn't shown much at all since hes been here, bad pick

'BusterTBronco said:
Bad pick by the Vikings.
he is that bad or not really that good anyways, he hasn't shown much at all since hes been here, bad pick
Why don't you just say he "can't play" RB in the NFL because he's white? FYI, since you obviously know nothing about what you're pretending to talk about, Gerhart has been given 17 carries all season, and is averaging 5.9 ypc, which is better than any starting RB in the league right now (since Jamal Charles is hurt). He has caught 4 passes and averaged over 13 yards per reception. That's about as much production as any player can be expected to have on 1-2 touches per game. Last season, he actually touched the ball a lot more and averaged a solid 4 ypc and 8 yards per reception. The Vikings traded up in the second round, apparently just to bury this guy. What other explanation is there? Why would you spend a high draft pick on a RB when you already have perhaps the best young RB in the league? Teams should be banging down the Vikings' door to get this kid, who is full of potential and more talented than 3/4 of the starting backs in the NFL. Evidently, however, something is causing them to hesitate about doing so, just as something caused a team that didn't remotely need Gerhart to waste a high draft pick on him.

I'd love to hear any other rationale for the Gerhart situation.

'BusterTBronco said:
Bad pick by the Vikings.
I am not a big Gerhart fan but I'm not convinced he was a bad pick. Was there many good players selected in the 2nd round of that draft? I think Carolina would probably give up Clausen for a 5th round pick. Chris Cook was a bad pick. He is bigger idiot than Pacman Jones.

'BusterTBronco said:
Bad pick by the Vikings.
Why don't you just say he "can't play" RB in the NFL because he's white? FYI, since you obviously know nothing about what you're pretending to talk about, Gerhart has been given 17 carries all season, and is averaging 5.9 ypc, which is better than any starting RB in the league right now (since Jamal Charles is hurt). He has caught 4 passes and averaged over 13 yards per reception. That's about as much production as any player can be expected to have on 1-2 touches per game. Last season, he actually touched the ball a lot more and averaged a solid 4 ypc and 8 yards per reception. The Vikings traded up in the second round, apparently just to bury this guy. What other explanation is there? Why would you spend a high draft pick on a RB when you already have perhaps the best young RB in the league? Teams should be banging down the Vikings' door to get this kid, who is full of potential and more talented than 3/4 of the starting backs in the NFL. Evidently, however, something is causing them to hesitate about doing so, just as something caused a team that didn't remotely need Gerhart to waste a high draft pick on him.

Can you honestly name 23 starting running backs that he is more talented than? I don't think his ypc average after 17 carries is a very good defense, either. Can you honestly say you've been impressed with how he's run so far, just watching him? He is still young and hasn't had many carries to figure it all out, or really to prove himself, but to me he looks slow and I don't really see him breaking as many tackles as I'd expect.

'BusterTBronco said:
Bad pick by the Vikings.

Can you honestly name 23 starting running backs that he is more talented than? I don't think his ypc average after 17 carries is a very good defense, either. Can you honestly say you've been impressed with how he's run so far, just watching him? He is still young and hasn't had many carries to figure it all out, or really to prove himself, but to me he looks slow and I don't really see him breaking as many tackles as I'd expect.
Stop responding to him unless you want to get into a week long discussion on race in the NFL.

Anyone Starting Toby Gerhart with confidence this weekend?

What are you expecting from him? I'm guessing about 17 carries for 72yds 1 catch for 5 yards

Anyone Starting Toby Gerhart with confidence this weekend?What are you expecting from him? I'm guessing about 17 carries for 72yds 1 catch for 5 yards
with confidence, no. If harvin is playing he will get touches at rb and maybe booker as well. the line isnt that great and atl isnt a pushover. your projecting 4.2 ypc which sounds right but how many touches they give him is the question

Anyone Starting Toby Gerhart with confidence this weekend?What are you expecting from him? I'm guessing about 17 carries for 72yds 1 catch for 5 yards
ATL is 2nd best rush defense in the NFL; I have Gerhart benched (only because I can afford to this week). 50 yards rush, 3/25 rec., no tds is my guess. I think Denver next week which should be conservative, run heavy from both teams is the game to think about using him.

No actually I'm waffling back and forth between starting him or Spiller. Not an easy decision either.

No actually I'm waffling back and forth between starting him or Spiller. Not an easy decision either.
I have Spiller to and I had ruled him out but I just saw some comments in the Spiller thread that have me waffling as well.I think Spiller has more upside but also more downside

I think Gerhart will have a good game this week. ATL run D looks good on paper because they haven't faced any good rushing teams since week 1 and 2 with Forte and McCoy. Both put up good numbers. Peterson would have easily run for 100+ yds. I think Gerhart gets 80+ yds and 1TD against an overrated ATL run D.

I think Gerhart will have a good game this week. ATL run D looks good on paper because they haven't faced any good rushing teams since week 1 and 2 with Forte and McCoy. Both put up good numbers. Peterson would have easily run for 100+ yds. I think Gerhart gets 80+ yds and 1TD against an overrated ATL run D.
ugh you may have me convinced to give him a chance. i need to choose between Gerhart, Addai vs. Panthers or Mathews against Broncos

He looked so good at times in college. It seems like he's barely played since. It's too late in the FF year to start him and with Harvin's presence and all. I'd rather regret it than roll with him.

I don't know if he'll ever be a prized free agent or not, geesh he was good in college though

I'm still debating a gimpy Beanie Wells or Toby Gerhart... HELP ME!
I have both, and I'm going with Gerhart. Beanie hasn't done anything in weeks, and I see no reason why he would now. At least with Gerhart, there's a chance he could put up good numbers. I know for sure that Beanie won't.

'Houston turmOiler said:
Looks like he gets another start this week...anyone starting this guy?
I am but this is as close to a week that doesn't matter as anything. Figure with Harvin I'll play it safe and start Gerhart/Harvin try and capitalize on Minny's rush.I'm starting him over Ryan Mathews because I'm angry at Ryan Mathews. :hot: I hate you Ryan Mathews! :rant: Hi Toby Gerhart :bye:

'Houston turmOiler said:
Denver has given up one rush td to rbs this season. Prob go with mcgahee
Lies.
It's not a lie. One rush TD by RBs is correct, the mighty Maurice Morris of course. They've allowed 4 RB TDs on receptions.They've also only allowed 3 100 yard games to RBs. McFadden and 2 by Mathews.

Denver has given up one rush td to rbs this season. Prob go with mcgahee
Lies.
It's not a lie. One rush TD by RBs is correct, the mighty Maurice Morris of course. They've allowed 4 RB TDs on receptions.They've also only allowed 3 100 yard games to RBs. McFadden and 2 by Mathews.
I think they're OK against the run, but really the stats don't tell the whole story. Here's a five week window to give you an idea of how they've been doing against opposing RBs. Week 12: Matthews has 22 carries for 137yds at 6.2 YPC. Tolbert chips in with 11 carries for 44 and 3 receptions for 19.

Week 11: The Jets suffer an early injury to Greene and McKnight ends up with the bulk of the carries. He winds up with 16 carries for 59yds and 6 receptions for 59. The Jets have struggled mightily running the ball, but it's not a terrible fantasy day for McKnight in PPR leagues.

Week 10: Denver played the Chiefs...'nuff said. Really though Battle ended up with the most carries. He had 9 carries for 61yds at 6.8YPC. McCluster came in a close second with 8 carries for 45yds at 5.6YPC and 6 receptions for 48yds.

Week 9: Bush had 19 carries for 96yds at 5.1YPC(close enough to 100) and 2 receptions for 33yds and a TD. Reece also has 3 receptions for 51yds and a TD.

Week 8: The Lions blew them out of the water early. They were also without Best. M Morris went for 13 for 58yds and a TD. Williams added 11 for 25.

I REALLY like Percy today if he isn't doubled over a trash can, but Gerhart seems like a high floor and low ceiling safe play. I'm personally starting him at flex over Finley, Nate Washington, Jonathan Stewart, and Vincent Brown in a PPR league with a .5 PPR bonus to TEs. I'm not exactly super confident, but I'm following my gut after Lombardi said he's too slow. Thanks for the bulletin board material!

Users who are viewing this thread