What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Toilet/Plumbing question...toilet tank doesn't fill up or is slow to fill up. (1 Viewer)

eoMMan

Footballguy
I come to the FFA for plumbing/toilet advice...

The toilet tank for one our toilets doesn't fill up right away. It eventually does but I'm not sure why it takes awhile. If I take the lid off and "tap" the grey stick thingie (don't have a floater....I think this is the equivalent of that...it can also be turned to adjust the water level in the toilet tank), the toilet tank starts filling up immediately. Obviously, I don't want to have to take the lid off every time and have to do this.

Any idea what's causing it not to register right away that it needs to fill up?

Don't call a plumber for this. I was gonna say "we're men, we were put on this planet for this very reason" but I'm a horrible person and stuff if I say that now so ignore I said that. So, let me say, this instead "we're FIXERS, we were put on this planet to FIX things!" :) Let's do this!

Probably the grey stick thing getting stuck. Clean everything in the tank or just replace all the fill parts.
This. The "floater" on this setup (if I am thinking of the right one) is not the big balloon bulb, but a cylinder that travels up and down the gray stick, yes? If so, I tried cleaning and even oiling the gray stick (not a euphemism, you sickos), but it would still stick (maybe some better lubricant would've worked better, idk), but it was like $10 for a whole new kit so I just replaced it.

Replacing the "innards" of a toilet tank is easy and very inexpensive. Just replace the stuff. Definitely agree with the "don't call a plumber" option. If you don't know how to do it, youtube will be your friend.

Replacing the "innards" of a toilet tank is easy and very inexpensive. Just replace the stuff. Definitely agree with the "don't call a plumber" option. If you don't know how to do it, youtube will be your friend.
Yep. Hardest part is getting the right brand/model replacements. Sometimes the shutoff valve can also be a little finicky.

I don't want to hijack the thread, but I think the OP has his solution. So, I have an issue and thought the thread could morph into "Toilet Talk".
We have problems with our main floor toilet. Anything more than urine and a little bit of tp just won't flush down. I've tried snaking it with a manual type crank "snake" and it doesn't help.
I may have to call a plumber and get their expertise on the situation, but thought I would ask the FFA before spending the big $$.

I don't want to hijack the thread, but I think the OP has his solution. So, I have an issue and thought the thread could morph into "Toilet Talk".
We have problems with our main floor toilet. Anything more than urine and a little bit of tp just won't flush down. I've tried snaking it with a manual type crank "snake" and it doesn't help.
I may have to call a plumber and get their expertise on the situation, but thought I would ask the FFA before spending the big $$.
Replace with the American Standard model that will flush a dozen golf balls at once. (I actually don't have any good advice for this, other than replacing the toilet.)

So is the toilet the first one in the stack? As in if you go into the basement and follow the lines - is it the "first" one from the start of the system. When I say start I mean if you are working from the basement to the street. (some would say that's the end) but you get my point.

Is it a cheap toilet? I ask because I too had problems with the lower floor toilet getting clogged a lot. Sometimes toilets do wear out.

The first thing you could do is take the toilet off and snake OR snake from the cleanout in the basement. How long was your manual snake? If its only like the 3 footer you might need longer. Also as a test yo make sure the line is completely clean open your clean out at the curb. Have some one flush one piece of toilet paper and see if you see it come to the main sewer.

All that being said, I bought a new toilet for downstairs have no no problems ;)

It's not exiting the bowl? Does the water level raise like it does if there's a visible clog?

You might try taking some WD40 and cleaning the "jets" (the holes) where the water comes out into the bowl (under the rim). They can get clogged which effects your flushing force. (Flushing Force is the name of my indy Alt Rock cover band)

Yep...Take the toilet off the mount. You might find something like the wax seal is partially blocking the outflow. Once again, removing and replacing a toilet is generally super easy, assuming your flange isn't cracked or something(I've had hat happen..and that did require a plumber)

You might try taking some WD40 and cleaning the "jets" (the holes) where the water comes out into the bowl (under the rim). They can get clogged which effects your flushing force. (Flushing Force is the name of my indy Alt Rock cover band)
Hard water will clog those holes over time, I have replaced a toilet before due to this.

So is the toilet the first one in the stack? As in if you go into the basement and follow the lines - is it the "first" one from the start of the system. When I say start I mean if you are working from the basement to the street. (some would say that's the end) but you get my point.

Is it a cheap toilet? I ask because I too had problems with the lower floor toilet getting clogged a lot. Sometimes toilets do wear out.

The first thing you could do is take the toilet off and snake OR snake from the cleanout in the basement. How long was your manual snake? If its only like the 3 footer you might need longer. Also as a test yo make sure the line is completely clean open your clean out at the curb. Have some one flush one piece of toilet paper and see if you see it come to the main sewer.

All that being said, I bought a new toilet for downstairs have no no problems ;)
Not sure I'm following the stack question. We have two toilets in the house. One on the main floor and the other in the basement. We have zero problems with the basement toilet.
No, not a cheap toilet. We did a bathroom reno about 5 years ago and it wasn't cheap.

The snake is 6 feet I think.

Not sure I'm following the stack question. We have two toilets in the house. One on the main floor and the other in the basement. We have zero problems with the basement toilet.
No, not a cheap toilet. We did a bathroom reno about 5 years ago and it wasn't cheap.

The snake is 6 feet I think.
If you follow your sewer line you can determine where on the line each toilet/drain connects to your main line in the house. I'm guessing your basement has a pump to push the waste up. I had issues because I literally had a toilet that was the first in the line and only 2 feet of pipe drain. It just would not flow with my old toilet

It's not exiting the bowl? Does the water level raise like it does if there's a visible clog?

The water level just continues to rise. If I don't shut off the water supply when it's happening, the toilet will overflow.
Sometimes I shut off the water supply as the water is rising and it causes the the toilet bowl to drain completely. The water is rising, then I turn off the supply valve and the water stops rising and drains.

Wait...it's not clogging?

Sounds like your flapper is broken.

If you flush the toilet without anything does the back tank fill up?

Is the tank full right now? Do you hear it filling up randomly?

I would see where it is in the line, if it's in the middle do other drains drain past that area ok?

Wait...it's not clogging?

Sounds like your flapper is broken.

If you flush the toilet without anything does the back tank fill up?

Is the tank full right now? Do you hear it filling up randomly?
If there is anything more than urine and tp in the bowl, when we flush it partially disappears from the bowl then the water continues to rise and will overflow if the water supply isn't shut off. So, I think it's at least a partial clog.

The tank fills completely after a flush. Tank is full and it doesn't fill randomly like when the flapper isn't sealing.

I have an older house so the cast iron drain pipes were larger than standard so the wax flange would fall down into the drainpipe. I had to drill out and replace all the flanges.

Thanks, everyone. I'll try cleaning my stick and possibly replacing it, if needed.
I have the exact same issue at my house and the above men are all correct. The black float is getting stuck on the gray dong. I have a brand new rebuild kit waiting at home, but I’ve sprayed WD40 up and down that gray shaft for the last year because I’m too lazy to rebuild it. (Which takes about 10 minutes).

Spray the gray dong and jiggle it some and eventually the WD40 will work its way in and do the job. You’ll buy yourself a few more months.

Thanks, everyone. I'll try cleaning my stick and possibly replacing it, if needed.
I have the exact same issue at my house and the above men are all correct. The black float is getting stuck on the gray dong. I have a brand new rebuild kit waiting at home, but I’ve sprayed WD40 up and down that gray shaft for the last year because I’m too lazy to rebuild it. (Which takes about 10 minutes).

Spray the gray dong and jiggle it some and eventually the WD40 will work its way in and do the job. You’ll buy yourself a few more months.
I've never been more turned on

Is this sort of smut allowed around here? :clutchespearls:

Users who are viewing this thread