What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tom Brady MVP? (1 Viewer)

PatsFanCT

Footballguy
So yea, I'm a homer. And you can count on one hand how many threads I have started, but, I was watching the SNF game tonight with friends who, as the football talk took place, nominated P. Manning as MVP.

While I can see where he is the early favorite, I countered with Brady, who is 4-0 with pretty much an all-rookie squad.

So, what is more impressive? Manning with an established team, or Brady with an (almost) all rookie team, being 4-0?

The Pats have played a weak schedule and this is the first game that the Pats offense really showed up in at all.

Brady is playing well given the "talent" around him, but he's not even the MVP of his own team right now. The Pats are 4-0 because their defense is playing very well, Aqib Talib in particular.

Really? Manning has 1,470 yards, 16 TDs, 0 INTs, 75% completion, QB rating of 138 his team is undefeated and blowing out everyone and Brady for MVP?

I get that Brady is doing it with less talent, but still... Jughead is killing it.

I think while Brady is doing well with a young unproven team--he has actually had a very favorable schedule. I think it would be very hard to vote against Manning at this point. The dude is playing at another level. 16tds with no int's--are you kidding me? So far this year--I think I'd also have to give an honorable mentions to Jimmy Graham and Richard Sherman.

The Pats have played a weak schedule and this is the first game that the Pats offense really showed up in at all.

Brady is playing well given the "talent" around him, but he's not even the MVP of his own team right now. The Pats are 4-0 because their defense is playing very well, Aqib Talib in particular.
They just beat Atlanta, a SB potential team, in thier house, with a bunch of nobodies. Brady had over 300 yards passing, in general, to rookies. It's time to stop saying the Ptats haven't played anybody.

Really? Manning has 1,470 yards, 16 TDs, 0 INTs, 75% completion, QB rating of 138 his team is undefeated and blowing out everyone and Brady for MVP?

I get that Brady is doing it with less talent, but still... Jughead is killing it.
To rookies?

They just beat Atlanta, a SB potential team, in thier house, with a bunch of nobodies. Brady had over 300 yards passing, in general, to rookies. It's time to stop saying the Ptats haven't played anybody.
they have beat buffalo with manuel, the jets, the bucs--and an atlanta team missing three of its best defenders and their star running back (as well as a gimpy roddy white). If you call Atlanta (at this very moment) a barometer of a great team-- I think you are sadly mistaken.

Alex Smith would be ahead of Brady as well.
I love the Pats and think Manning is a bit over rated because people love all the stats he puts up for his fantasy squads but if the season ended today Manning is the run away winner. Alex Smith is several tiers below Brady as a quarterback

Last edited by a moderator:
I love the Pats and think Manning is a bit over rated because people love all the stats he puts up for his fantasy squads but if the season ended today Manning is the run away winner. Alex Smith is several tiers below Brady as a quarterback
Alex Smith took a 3-13 team to 4-0 so far, with great, efficient stats on offense against better opponents than NE has faced

A now 1-3 team whose best WR is playing hurt? They still really haven't. That'll change though and if he keeps it up, he might be in the conversation, and if Manning's numbers come down to Earth a bit.

Manning MVP as long as he's healthy. But the season still has Rodgers, Brees, Brady, and maybe even Rivers in the equation.

Alex Smith took a 3-13 team to 4-0 so far, with great, efficient stats on offense against better opponents than NE has faced
the question is most valuable player-- I think manning wins it at this point--but with kansas city--they are not winning primarily due to alex smiths play. They are winning because of an elite defense, an elite rb, a very positive change at the head coaching position..etc. If you took brady and put him on the chiefs--I would be the chiefs would still be 4-0. If you took alex smith and put him on the pats---I highly doubt they would be 4-0. Alex smith merits some consideration--but I wouldn't even put him in the top 4 or 5 right now.

Smith didn't even make the Pro Bowl in 2011 with the 49ers. Putting him in the same sentence with Brady is really kinda out there.

So Brady is more of an MVP candidate because of his name? That's what you're arguing?

Smith has been VITAL in KC going 4-0... Defense or not. Not turning the ball over. solid yardage numbers. tds etc

Manning MVP as long as he's healthy. But the season still has Rodgers, Brees, Brady, and maybe even Rivers in the equation.
Plus token defensive players. Not sure who's leading a lot of those candidates but Watt and Sherman have been disruptive every game. KC has two guys at least high on sacks and ints (iirc). I'd love to see the league MVP be a defender. Against most of those QBs, there's a shot. If manning stays lights out then I don't see a defender that could come close.

So Brady is more of an MVP candidate because of his name? That's what you're arguing?

Smith has been VITAL in KC going 4-0... Defense or not. Not turning the ball over. solid yardage numbers. tds etc
Greg Cosell said in a segment on KNBR that watching film on Smith's play against PHI was "painful" because he was afraid to throw the ball. QB's who are afraid to throw the ball aren't MVP QB's.

Smith didn't even make the Pro Bowl in 2011 with the 49ers. Putting him in the same sentence with Brady is really kinda out there.
Not when the subject is THIS season.

they have beat buffalo with manuel, the jets, the bucs--and an atlanta team missing three of its best defenders and their star running back (as well as a gimpy roddy white). If you call Atlanta (at this very moment) a barometer of a great team-- I think you are sadly mistaken.
Do you really want to compare missing players?

your argument was that they beat Atlanta--and called them a super bowl caliber team. Atlanta at this very point is average at best. The patriots--even with a lot of their guys missing--are considered at least an average team or better. I don't consider an average team beating 3 below average teams, and another average team grounds to crown an MVP.

A now 1-3 team whose best WR is playing hurt? They still really haven't. That'll change though and if he keeps it up, he might be in the conversation, and if Manning's numbers come down to Earth a bit.
Again, you want to compare injuries?

Not when the subject is THIS season.
But this season with KC is comparable to Smith's season with SF. Good defense, good ST play, and the ability to run the ball won games with a donut hole in the passing TD department, which Smith already posted one donut hole game against PHI.

He's had a nice season so far--but he also kind of lost the game to the Texans with his poor play. I think that alone would hurt him from being put above Peyton at this point.
Poor play? I think it was more of an amazing INT by Cushing than a poor play. McCoy took the ball out of his hands at the end when they ran the ball over and over and over again. Same thing happened in Tenn when he had 4 pass plays in the 2nd half.

Rivers is one good game and 1 bad Manning game away from catching up to him. Only one of those 2 has probowlers all around on offense.

Just look at the stats.

your argument was that they beat Atlanta--and called them a super bowl caliber team. Atlanta at this very point is average at best. The patriots--even with a lot of their guys missing--are considered at least an average team or better. I don't consider an average team beating 3 below average teams, and another average team grounds to crown an MVP.
Don't hurt you'r arm with that stretch.

He's had a nice season so far--but he also kind of lost the game to the Texans with his poor play. I think that alone would hurt him from being put above Peyton at this point.
Poor play? I think it was more of an amazing INT by Cushing than a poor play. McCoy took the ball out of his hands at the end when they ran the ball over and over and over again. Same thing happened in Tenn when he had 4 pass plays in the 2nd half.

Rivers is one good game and 1 bad Manning game away from catching up to him. Only one of those 2 has probowlers all around on offense.

Just look at the stats.
the stats are misleading--even in that Houston game. Even if you take the Cushing play out--RIvers has this weird tendency to go ice cold at the worst times. If I remember right--he started missing a lot of his passes late in the Houston game. I'm from so cal--and I root for the chargers--but they were also very fortunate to win today. If williams didn't fumble--the chargers could have very well lost today. Phillip has had a much better start to the season that I ever expected--but to put him the same breath of peyton manning for mvp at this very moment is not something that I would agree with.

There are many variations of there/their/they're, but honestly, what the #### is this?

I backed up my argument very well-- do you want to argue that the bills, jets, or the bucs are not below average teams? Would you like to argue that the falcons at 1-3--with the guys they are missing are better than an average team? If you are going to disagree-- maybe try to back it up. If you look at who the Pats have played so far--anything less than 4-0 or 3-1 would have been disappointing. Don't get me wrong--I'm a huge Brady fan--but be realistic.

edit--some more facts---for the first three games of the season--the Pats were 10, 11 and 7 point favorites. Tonight--they were a 3 point dog--and if you know anything about how much Vegas values home field advantage you would know that its roughly 3 points. In basic terms--the Pats were heavily favored to win their first three games--and were basically even to win tonight. The concept that they are massively over-performing to the point where Brady needs to be recognized as a clear MVP is ridiculous.

Really those 2 - 2 Cowboys are better then who?

How about those 1 - 3 Eagles?

Maybe those 0 - 4 Giants?

or those 0 -4 Jaguars

They have beat up on the worst division in football and then the worst team in football. Smith has thrown about 10 passes over 10 yards this year while his defense and receivers, and Charles have done all the work. Smith isn't even a consideration, even if the season ended today.

There are many variations of there/their/they're, but honestly, what the #### is this?
I would say it's you being a ####.

I would say it's you being a ####.
Fair enough.

eta* But this thread is ridiculous. Peyto'n = 16 TD's. What do we do?

I backed up my argument very well-- do you want to argue that the bills, jets, or the bucs are not below average teams? Would you like to argue that the falcons at 1-3--with the guys they are missing are better than an average team? If you are going to disagree-- maybe try to back it up. If you look at who the Pats have played so far--anything less than 4-0 or 3-1 would have been disappointing. Don't get me wrong--I'm a huge Brady fan--but be realistic.
I'm saying that the Patriors are missing more important players than the Falcons are. Or any team for that matter. I am just saying, that the Pats, with a bunch of nobodies, beat a team that was, and is, considered an NFC favorite to make the SB.

And that, Tom Brady could be MVP because of what he has to work with. Although I do understand that Manning is really in the drivers seat for this award,

Really those 2 - 2 Cowboys are better then who?

How about those 1 - 3 Eagles?

Maybe those 0 - 4 Giants?

or those 0 -4 Jaguars

They have beat up on the worst division in football and then the worst team in football. Smith has thrown about 10 passes over 10 yards this year while his defense and receivers, and Charles have done all the work. Smith isn't even a consideration, even if the season ended today.
The KC D is the MVP of that team, not Smith.

I'm saying that the Patriors are missing more important players than the Falcons are. Or any team for that matter. I am just saying, that the Pats, with a bunch of nobodies, beat a team that was, and is, considered an NFC favorite to make the SB.

And that, Tom Brady could be MVP because of what he has to work with. Although I do understand that Manning is really in the drivers seat for this award,
I think that it's great that you are starting to understand where I'm coming from. I love what the Patriots and Brady are doing--but even with the injuries they have--with the teams they have played--they are merely doing what is expected of them. The proof is in the pudding. Vegas lines take into account injury situations and here are some facts---for the first three games of the season--the Pats were 10, 11 and 7 point favorites. Tonight--they were a 3 point dog--and if you know anything about how much Vegas values home field advantage you would know that its roughly 3 points. In basic terms--the Pats were heavily favored to win their first three games--and were basically even to win tonight. I think it's great that they are winning--but the reality is that even with the injuries they have--they should be winning based on the schedule they have played so far. However--if this winning continues through tougher parts of the schedule--you might have a stronger argument.

I don't think Brady has played his best and defer to all the quotes where he's said he needs to improve. It's very possible in time we will be most proud of Brady for all he did this year and how he was as a leader to this young team. This is a great story not MVP.

Again, you want to compare injuries?
Again -

I understand the premise of the thread....although I don't agree.

With that said , those saying Brady didn't play anyone should also say the same about Denver and Manning... besides Week 1 vs Balt, Oak / NYG / Philly are horrid....especially defensively.

:goodposting:

Brady has done well with his worst receiving corps of his career. But MVP worthy? Not even in the conversation yet.

Stinky bait - even for a Pats homer who is clearly trying to lure the Manning fans vs. the Brady fans. I think it's high time we had that argument again. Or not.

Some stats to add to the conversation:

Brady 93 of 158 for 1014 yards. 7 TDs 2 INTS. Passer rating of 87.4*

QB "A" is 88 of 146 for 957 yards. Also 7 TDs and 2 INTS. Passer rating of 89.9 (just ahead of Brady's)

*15th in the NFL for QBs who have thrown at least 50 passes

If you're wondering, QB A's team is also undefeated...

In fact, of the 6 undefeated teams remaining in the NFL, Brady has the worst QB rating of all 6 QBs on those teams.

Btw, QB "A" in the above example is the perennial MVP candidate, Alex Smith. In answer to the OP's question - no. Not even that close.

ETA: Never try to use NFL.com to look up stats. They suck. Use...well pretty much anything else. [/psa]

Talib blocked a last minute TD to Roddy. A few plays before that Brady had a chance to seal the game, avoiding the opportunity for Roddy to score. (Brady mishandled the snap) Big players make Big plays in Big games Brady has a stat of making that 1st down, something like 70 out of 73 times (basically a gimme)

fwiw I was going to post about Bradys play this Season, and this was the first post that appeared in the Search. imho Brady just doesn't look the same It might just be the need for an experienced receiver ie. Brady needs Gronk in his reads. But right now it just seems like Brady isn't seeing everything, hes too upset (for too long) and some throws ex. bouncing before reaching the players feet Ive almost enjoyed watching Geno play, more then Brady.

Brady plays at Cincy next wk, which should be a good game. Cincy is coming off a loss, but they did get the W vs. Rodgers in wk 3

PMan plays Dallas, well see if he hits 400 like Rivers It might be worth noting that Romo leads Brady by one yd, and TD-INT (8-1) (7-2) Not to mention Rodgers meets Stafford next

If PMan isn't the MVP right now, Id say its the 12th man (Seattle home crowd) The Seahawks were down and out imho, but came back in Hou. (Its almost like the 12th man cheer's were still echoing to the team)

Now its somewhat possible to say I have a fans view for PMan (having enjoyed watching the Orange Crush, esp playing Doomsday) But no INT's? I mean its not like we can say "but hes only thrown for 800 yds" or "hes only thrown six TD's" NFL should almost consider rule changes (I think were missing out, not seeing some Lester Hayes type play)

I'm guessing that if there was a vote right now among the people who vote for MVP, Peyton would win unanimously -- and rightly so.

Let's see. One guy is on pace for: 5,800 yards, 64 TDs (I did not make that up)

and the other guy is on pace for: 4,000 yards and 28 TDs.

Who's the MVP?

Users who are viewing this thread