What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tony Dungy on Tim Tebow (1 Viewer)

Not that I know anything about the NFL but I do watch a lot of college football and call me crazy but I think I see what Dungy was saying. Tebow has"it". Who else had "it"? Brett Favre, Donovan McNabb, Peyton Manning, Joe Montana, Jim Kelly, John Elway, Ben Rothlisberger. There are plenty of guys out there who have the physical tools to throw the ball accurately down the field but do they have "it"? Akili Smith had the tools, so did Ryan Leaf, Rob Johnson, David Carr, Mike Vick, Todd Marinovich, and Vince Young... Tebow wants to work hard and he raises the play of those around him. I think he can be a quarterback in the NFL and a good one.
Guys like Josh Heupel and Tommie Frazier had "it" too.

As skeptical as I am of his particular skill-set, I wouldn't bet against him. And when I say skill-set, I'm referring to what he's shown to this point. Obviously he's never played under center and he's never had to throw it 30 times a game or had an NFL caliber defense to run against. I just think he's a smart, determined kid. I don't think he's going into the draft unless it's as a QB.

Chances are he'll never be Peyton Manning (or Eli for that matter). But to take from another poster in this thread, it wouldn't surprise me if he's just as good as McNabb. I understand if some of you Philly fans do not think that's saying much.

This is going to be a fun thread to bump in a few years.
Which side are you on, G?
I think Tebow has all the tools to be a successful QB in the NFL. Most of which isn't that he's a "winner" in the mold of guys like Vince Young or athletic in the mold of JaMarcus, guys that have been mentioned so far. He has the work ethic and intelligence to be so much more than them in addition to his physical tools. Those physical tools, btw, are extraordinary. His size/speed is ridiculous.Those questioning his accuracy haven't looked at his passing #'s and/or watched him play. The guy can definitely throw the football.Now, he does have a very slow release. He is not your typical NFL pocket passer. But, that's not because he's failed at it. It's because he hasn't been asked to do it. So, before I label him nothing more than a college gimmick, I'd like to see him, you know, actually take plays while not being primarily in the shotgun and see how he does. Might he fail? Surely. But is it a foregone conclusion like so many are suggesting here? Far from it. I think some folks are writing him off WAY too early. Oh, and final note. I hate the Gators. This has nothing to do with fandom whatsoever. I grew up in Florida and can't stand them. But Tebow is a legitimate prospect that has the POTENTIAL to do very well in the NFL. I'm not going to say he's a lock for success because he's not. There are things to be concerned about. But I definitely won't be dismissing him outright like most are. And if I had to bet one way or the other, I'd be on the side of him being a legit NFL starting QB vs. not.

I think Tebow has all the tools to be a successful QB in the NFL. Most of which isn't that he's a "winner" in the mold of guys like Vince Young or athletic in the mold of JaMarcus, guys that have been mentioned so far. He has the work ethic and intelligence to be so much more than them in addition to his physical tools. Those physical tools, btw, are extraordinary. His size/speed is ridiculous.
I don't know, to me it seems like he used to be a lot faster before he went on the Dan Kendra training program. I think he's lost some lateral quickness too.

.... But Tebow is a legitimate prospect that has the POTENTIAL to do very well in the NFL. I'm not going to say he's a lock for success because he's not. There are things to be concerned about. But I definitely won't be dismissing him outright like most are. And if I had to bet one way or the other, I'd be on the side of him being a legit NFL starting QB vs. not.
Excellent analysis - I agree.On the topic of "lock for success", the only QB that I think ever seemed to fit that mold in recent memory was Peyton Manning and his first season was nothing to brag about. I remember seeing him throw 8 INTs to Ty Law in the same game (or it seemed like it)

He seems like your classic gimmicky college QB. Forget about the running. It won't work in the NFL. Can he read defenses and make accurate throws under pressure? That's all that matters for any QB prospect. I'm not convinced that Tebow is a good enough pure passer to make the transition, but I think he has a much better chance than someone like Eric Crouch or Chris Leak.

I don't know, to me it seems like he used to be a lot faster before he went on the' Dan Kendra training program. I think he's lost some lateral quickness too.
:lmao: :excited: I wonder how many people will get this reference.

Did you see the TD run last week against MSU? Up the middle, around the side, switches ball to the right hand, turns the corner on the safety and stiff-arms into the endzone. It was a thing of beauty. :thumbup:

I think he's slowing a little this year because of the number of carries he's getting in the last several games.

For the record, I'm not saying that Tebow has a terribly weak arm, or that his arm is too weak for him to be an NFL starter. My point is that saying "Tim Tebow has one of the strongest arms of anybody who ever played QB" is ridiculous. I don't think that he would be in the top 50 in the NFL today.
If he were able to throw the ball 65 yards in the air, would that be enough?
Enough for what? To crack the top 50? I doubt it. To be an NFL QB? Sure, if the rest of the tools are there.

I'm completely baffled by the Tim Tebow nfl hype. Tim Tebow = Scott Frost v2.0Tebow is bigger and stronger physically than Frost, and slightly more accurate on his throws, but he doesn't have near the same type of speed and athleticism that Frost had.
:popcorn: ok, I said I have serious doubts myself about Tebow's ability to be a successful QB in the NFL, but comparing him as a prospect to Scott Frost?Frost finished at Nebraska with a 52% career completion percentage, Tebow is at 65% right now and that's after throwing nearly twice as many passes as Frost. Not to mention that Tebow threw for more yards as a sophomore, and more TDs each of the last two seasons, than Frost did in his entire career. He also has run a 4.6 forty, the same speed as Frost ran at the combine.Like I said, I'm not convinced Tebow's gonna make it as an NFL QB, but you seriously don't think he's a better prospect than Scott Frost?

Reminds me of a few years ago when all of the "gurus" on this board like Andy D and Colin had Troy Smith as a top 5 pick in the upcoming draft through this point in the season.

"Winner" "he can make all the throws, he does it every week" "his arm is strong enough, he can throw it 60 yards"

Amazing how some QBs look when they are throwing balls against NFL DBs and not future insurance salesmen.

It's not the arm strength. It's the accuracy. There is none. You want to quantify all the short passes he completes. Believe me I've seen quite a few years of Urban Meyers offense. His high completetion short routes don't fool me. Tebow can't land the deep ball.
This isn't even close to true. Tebow's flaws have to do with how long he holds the ball and his slow release. He's also unproven when it comes to running an offense from under center and making complicated reads. His accuracy and deep ball are fine.

Comments like these, along with the 2009 statistics to date, are making it painfully clear that Tony Dungy should send Peyton Manning royalty checks on every football-related dollar he makes for the rest of his life.Tebow is like the human version of the Option- something that works in college but is totally impractical in the NFL because the defenses are way too big, fast and smart.
Yep... once again, obviously overrated as a coach.

I don't think Tim Tebow will be a good NFL QB. I just don't think he has the accuracy, I hope I'm wrong because I admire the guy. One of the greatest college careers anyone will ever have, but it doesn't mean he'll be a great professional player. He'll get drafted and he'll give it everything he has, I just have a hard time seeing him completing some of the passes I see guys like Big Ben complete when guys are all over him. When I see Tebow in those same types of situations in college ball, that's when he seems to be at his worst. Sure he's a great runner and throws better when he's not under duress but in the pros, they'll throw everything at him to prove that he can do it at that level too.

It's not the arm strength. It's the accuracy. There is none. You want to quantify all the short passes he completes. Believe me I've seen quite a few years of Urban Meyers offense. His high completetion short routes don't fool me. Tebow can't land the deep ball.
This isn't even close to true. Tebow's flaws have to do with how long he holds the ball and his slow release. He's also unproven when it comes to running an offense from under center and making complicated reads. His accuracy and deep ball are fine.
I don't like his accuracy under pressure, which is a totally different thing than sitting in a pocket all day waiting for someone with blazing speed to get open. I picked up on it early last year and not that he never throws a good ball under pressure, I've seen a lot of ugly ducklings come from him when he's got a guy in his face.

I think Tebow has all the tools to be a successful QB in the NFL. Most of which isn't that he's a "winner" in the mold of guys like Vince Young or athletic in the mold of JaMarcus, guys that have been mentioned so far. He has the work ethic and intelligence to be so much more than them in addition to his physical tools. Those physical tools, btw, are extraordinary. His size/speed is ridiculous.Those questioning his accuracy haven't looked at his passing #'s and/or watched him play. The guy can definitely throw the football.Now, he does have a very slow release. He is not your typical NFL pocket passer. But, that's not because he's failed at it. It's because he hasn't been asked to do it. So, before I label him nothing more than a college gimmick, I'd like to see him, you know, actually take plays while not being primarily in the shotgun and see how he does. Might he fail? Surely. But is it a foregone conclusion like so many are suggesting here? Far from it. I think some folks are writing him off WAY too early. Oh, and final note. I hate the Gators. This has nothing to do with fandom whatsoever. I grew up in Florida and can't stand them. But Tebow is a legitimate prospect that has the POTENTIAL to do very well in the NFL. I'm not going to say he's a lock for success because he's not. There are things to be concerned about. But I definitely won't be dismissing him outright like most are. And if I had to bet one way or the other, I'd be on the side of him being a legit NFL starting QB vs. not.
He's got good acceleration and lateral movement but I doubt he runs anything higher than a 4.7

Reminds me of a few years ago when all of the "gurus" on this board like Andy D and Colin had Troy Smith as a top 5 pick in the upcoming draft through this point in the season."Winner" "he can make all the throws, he does it every week" "his arm is strong enough, he can throw it 60 yards"Amazing how some QBs look when they are throwing balls against NFL DBs and not future insurance salesmen.
Troy Smith was supposed to start for the Ravens last year (got very ill and dropped like 20lbs. was out 6 weeks or so) and is considered a leader within the locker room (so much so that even with the Ravens doing well last year about midseason Terrell Suggs still suggested he should start). He has also looked good in limited snaps. He also played in a pro style offense and can do all those things that you have decided to mock. He fell due to his size and trouble he got into with the law and boosters early in his career.

Not that I know anything about the NFL but I do watch a lot of college football and call me crazy but I think I see what Dungy was saying. Tebow has"it". Who else had "it"? Brett Favre, Donovan McNabb, Peyton Manning, Joe Montana, Jim Kelly, John Elway, Ben Rothlisberger. There are plenty of guys out there who have the physical tools to throw the ball accurately down the field but do they have "it"? Akili Smith had the tools, so did Ryan Leaf, Rob Johnson, David Carr, Mike Vick, Todd Marinovich, and Vince Young... Tebow wants to work hard and he raises the play of those around him. I think he can be a quarterback in the NFL and a good one.
Guys like Josh Heupel and Tommie Frazier had "it" too.
Tommie Frazier never played a snap in the NFL due to a blood clot he had.

I have my doubts about Tebow as a NFL QB as well, but I'm also a firm believer that success in the NFL is a combination of talent and situation. There are a handful of players that are/were so good that they would have succeeded in practically any situation, and there are definitely players that just don't have the intangibles (mental fortitude, work ethic, and so forth) to succeed at the NFL level. Then, in my opinion, you have most players in the middle for whom success or failure depends on getting the right fit with the right coaches and a scheme that use them effectively.

I would put Tebow in that middle group. He's not Joe Montana and he's not Ryan Leaf. That is, at this time he's well below average as a pocket passer and well above average on leadership and character. What remains to be seen is if he ends up in a stable organization with good coaches that are willing to be patient, a team that is desperate to make a big splash that throws him out there w/o developing him, or a team that is convinced he should be a TE.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have my doubts about Tebow as a NFL QB as well, but I'm also a firm believer that success in the NFL is a combination of talent and situation. There are a handful of players that are/were so good that they would have succeeded in practically any situation, and there are definitely players that just don't have the intangibles (mental fortitude, work ethic, and so forth) to succeed at the NFL level. Then, in my opinion, you have most players in the middle for whom success or failure depends on getting the right fit with the right coaches and a scheme that use them effectively. I would put Tebow in that middle group. He's not Joe Montana and he's not Ryan Leaf. That is, at this time he's well below average as a pocket passer and well above average on leadership and character. What remains to be seen is if he ends up in a stable organization with good coaches that are willing to be patient, a team that is desperate to make a big splash that throws him out there w/o developing him, or a team that is convinced he should be a TE.
:football:

Tebow will be a low first round/high second round pick (the combine will NOT be his friend).

He will be a thitd-string quarterback for a year or two and be out of football in three years.

This is not to say I dislike tebow. Seems like a great guy and is probably one of college football's top ten all-time players. But I've seen guys like him come and go every year. These guys don't make good NFL quarterbacks.

Tebow has poor accuracy. Mainly due to awful QB footwork. His release is low and his throwing motion is awkward. He also can't read the whole field as a passer and is really never asked to in the Fla offense (this is a huge red flag to me). His arm strength is going to be average for the NFL. I'd be shocked if he ever made it in the NFL as anything other than a gimmick passer. Sure he has an "it" factor right now. I'm not convinced that "it" factor isn't 80% to do with a Fla roster that is already filled with several NFL caliber players other than him though.

A lot of folks talk about him in a hybrid FB/TE role, but does anyone know if he can catch the ball? I do think Tebow is an exceptional athlete and competitor that should be able to find a home somewhere on an NFL team.

Rodeojones said:
Dungy "As an NFL coach, I always like winners in that position (QB) and guys who won." Tony talked about Charlie Ward and how he believed Ward would have been "fabulous in the NFL" given the fact that he was a winner in HS, College, and successful as an NBA point guard.
Dungy seems like a nice person, can draw up a nice cover-2 defense, and seems like a good motivator of men. But, his logic and talent evaluation is terrible right here. Charlie Ward? Ninety-nine percent of these guys are "winners" at the high school level, and at the QB position, most who are taken high in the draft, are done so because of their teams' successes. So, I'm not buying this whole "winner" argument. Tebow is completely out of his league to play quarterback at the NFL level. He's barely competent enough at the college level, except that (a) the talent around him is superior to the talent of most of the teams he plays and (b) he can get by with his running skills. But, his inability to throw the football effectively down the field is not something most scouts are just going to shrug off.

I think Tebow has all the tools to be a successful QB in the NFL. Most of which isn't that he's a "winner" in the mold of guys like Vince Young or athletic in the mold of JaMarcus, guys that have been mentioned so far. He has the work ethic and intelligence to be so much more than them in addition to his physical tools. Those physical tools, btw, are extraordinary. His size/speed is ridiculous.Those questioning his accuracy haven't looked at his passing #'s and/or watched him play. The guy can definitely throw the football.

Now, he does have a very slow release. He is not your typical NFL pocket passer. But, that's not because he's failed at it. It's because he hasn't been asked to do it. So, before I label him nothing more than a college gimmick, I'd like to see him, you know, actually take plays while not being primarily in the shotgun and see how he does. Might he fail? Surely. But is it a foregone conclusion like so many are suggesting here? Far from it.

I think some folks are writing him off WAY too early. Oh, and final note. I hate the Gators. This has nothing to do with fandom whatsoever. I grew up in Florida and can't stand them. But Tebow is a legitimate prospect that has the POTENTIAL to do very well in the NFL. I'm not going to say he's a lock for success because he's not. There are things to be concerned about. But I definitely won't be dismissing him outright like most are. And if I had to bet one way or the other, I'd be on the side of him being a legit NFL starting QB vs. not.
He's got good acceleration and lateral movement but I doubt he runs anything higher than a 4.7
Tebow's measureables
Height: 6' 3"

Weight: 225

40 time: 4.6

Bench: 350

Squat: 475

vertical: 32.5" (Measured at scout.com's Army All-American combine)

When I watch Tebow this season, I can't help but wonder how much his development is taking a backseat to winning another national championship. The guy NEVER takes a snap under center even on 3rd and a foot. You would think that Meyer would throw the kid a few bones and let him do a few conventional things once in awhile. I'm not convinced that Tebow can't play in the NFL because I haven't seen him put in a position to act like a conventional QB. I do know one thing - if he fails it won't be because of a bad attitude or not working to get better once he gets his first paycheck. The kid will give everything he's got and then some.
I know the Urb loves TRT, but why would he give a damn about his pro development? Urb's in the winning college national titles business.
:mellow: A college coach's job is to have his team win games, not develop guys for the NFL. If they're good enough, they'll make it -- it not, they won't.

Tebow's flaws have to do with how long he holds the ball and his slow release. He's also unproven when it comes to running an offense from under center and making complicated reads. His accuracy and deep ball are fine.
Agreed.People shouldn't underestimate his lack of time under center. It takes a while just to learn how to take snaps correctly and quickly. Then he must learn proper footwork in the different drops. There is so much for him to learn about being under center.

When I watch Tebow this season, I can't help but wonder how much his development is taking a backseat to winning another national championship. The guy NEVER takes a snap under center even on 3rd and a foot. You would think that Meyer would throw the kid a few bones and let him do a few conventional things once in awhile. I'm not convinced that Tebow can't play in the NFL because I haven't seen him put in a position to act like a conventional QB. I do know one thing - if he fails it won't be because of a bad attitude or not working to get better once he gets his first paycheck. The kid will give everything he's got and then some.
I know the Urb loves TRT, but why would he give a damn about his pro development? Urb's in the winning college national titles business.
:rolleyes: A college coach's job is to have his team win games, not develop guys for the NFL. If they're good enough, they'll make it -- it not, they won't.
When your players make it to the NFL, get drafted high, and become NFL superstars, it helps you recruit better players, which in turn helps you win college games. It is in a coach's best interests for his players to become successful NFL players.

Comments like these, along with the 2009 statistics to date, are making it painfully clear that Tony Dungy should send Peyton Manning royalty checks on every football-related dollar he makes for the rest of his life.Tebow is like the human version of the Option- something that works in college but is totally impractical in the NFL because the defenses are way too big, fast and smart.
:shrug:

Anything he does will not work in the NFL

1. Fake handoff run up the middle ....won't work

2. Fake handoff try too turn the corner .....nope

3. Drop back wind up and throw his wounded duck ....pick off city.

Again I've watched the two most hyped players in the last decade (Bush & Young) get all the love and jock sniffing they could handle from the shark pool crowd only to fall flat on their face. When are the jock sniffer's going to learn?

Tebow will be a low first round/high second round pick (the combine will NOT be his friend).He will be a thitd-string quarterback for a year or two and be out of football in three years.This is not to say I dislike tebow. Seems like a great guy and is probably one of college football's top ten all-time players. But I've seen guys like him come and go every year. These guys don't make good NFL quarterbacks.
You've seen top-10 all time college football players come and go every year? Top-10 all time college football players don't make good NFL QBs? Or do you mean you've seen people like Tim, only nowhere NEAR as talented or successful, who have failed at the NFL level?I've seen guys like Peyton Manning, only nowhere near as talented, fail in the NFL too. :thumbdown:
When your players make it to the NFL, get drafted high, and become NFL superstars, it helps you recruit better players, which in turn helps you win college games. It is in a coach's best interests for his players to become successful NFL players.
This is definitely true. Urban Meyer has a vested interest in Percy Harvin's pro success, because opposing coaches are going into the living rooms of WR recruits and saying "don't go to Florida, that offense is a gimmick. The Percy Position works in college, but it'll never work in the pros. Everyone knows Florida WRs are busts. Come here and we'll get you to the NFL". If Percy succeeds, that puts an end to any such speculation. Likewise, if Tebow succeeds in the NFL, the next time a Terrell Pryor is deciding where to go to college, he won't go to an Ohio State over Michigan in an effort to improve his draft stock- he'll come play to his strengths, compete for championships, and still make the pros anyway.95+% of Recruits only care about 2 things- winning, and going pro (and getting playing time, but that's mostly a result of their desire to go pro).

Anything he does will not work in the NFL1. Fake handoff run up the middle ....won't work2. Fake handoff try too turn the corner .....nope3. Drop back wind up and throw his wounded duck ....pick off city.Again I've watched the two most hyped players in the last decade (Bush & Young) get all the love and jock sniffing they could handle from the shark pool crowd only to fall flat on their face. When are the jock sniffer's going to learn?
I really hate to bring reason to an otherwise perfectly good gloatfest, but Vince Young was ORoY before the wheels came off for him mentally, and Reggie Bush has been a quality NFL player even if he hasn't been the dominant force he was billed as (great punt returner and quality receiver).Also, have you even seen this thread? How is Tebow getting "all the love he could handle from the shark pool crowd" here? A third of the posters are saying he'll play TE, and another third are saying he'll be out of the league in 3 years. If that's love, I'd hate to see what hate looks like.

Anything he does will not work in the NFL1. Fake handoff run up the middle ....won't work2. Fake handoff try too turn the corner .....nope3. Drop back wind up and throw his wounded duck ....pick off city.Again I've watched the two most hyped players in the last decade (Bush & Young) get all the love and jock sniffing they could handle from the shark pool crowd only to fall flat on their face. When are the jock sniffer's going to learn?
I really hate to bring reason to an otherwise perfectly good gloatfest, but Vince Young was ORoY before the wheels came off for him mentally, and Reggie Bush has been a quality NFL player even if he hasn't been the dominant force he was billed as (great punt returner and quality receiver).Also, have you even seen this thread? How is Tebow getting "all the love he could handle from the shark pool crowd" here? A third of the posters are saying he'll play TE, and another third are saying he'll be out of the league in 3 years. If that's love, I'd hate to see what hate looks like.
This is a good post. A lot of people felt VY wasn't a quality NFL QB. Some other people suggested that Bush would work better as a WR. Brandon Jacobs was thought to possibly be a TE project as well. Those that think he'll revolutionize the NFL and those who think he'll be out of the league in 3 years will probably be looking somewhere in the middle when all is said and done.

They just said he is a Youth, Family and Community Sciences major. :sadbanana: They keep coming up with new and creative ways to say that a player is majoring in football (or whatever sport he is playing).

The only hope for Tebow in the NFL is as a wildcat QB. His throwing motion is horrible, his accuracy terrible, and his upright running style will get him killed in the NFL.

I don't buy Tebow as a Wildcat QB. He's not fast/quick/agile enough to consistently have success in that formation in the NFL.
The Wildcat doesn't exist to get 80 yard game breaking runs. It exists to consistently get 6 or 7 yards. This misconception is why there was that dopey "the wildcat is dead" thread. It is remarkable to me that even people on this board fail to recognize the value of a 6 yard run.

Users who are viewing this thread