What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Top 250 Best Selling Rock Albums (1967 - 1981) (1 Viewer)

#70 - THE POLICE - Zenyatta Modatta (1980) (8.82 million)
Notable songs: Don't Stand So Close To Me(#10), De Doo Doo Doo De Da Da Da (#10) Driven To Tears, Shadows In The Rain, When The World Is Running Down

We say auf wiedersehen to The Police. Not really sure how they went from touring in a station wagon and performing to a handful of people to selling millions of albums and playing stadiums and headlining festivals. I like all their albums. Synchronicity was beyond huge (20 million sold). Sting felt like the other guys were only studio musicians.

#69 - KISS - Alive! (1975) (9 million albums)
Notable songs: Rock And Roll All Nite (#12), Deuce, Strutter, Black Diamond

We also say adios to Kiss. Their first of 16 live albums. Kiss wasn't really that popular where I lived, and by the time I was in high school, no one I knew was into them. Their trademark makeup made them a boatload of money.

#68 - CREEDENCE CLEARWATER REVIVAL - Cosmo's Factory (1970) (9.03 million albums)
Notable songs: Travelin' Band / Who'll Stop The Rain (#2), Lookin' Out My Back Door / Long As I See The Light (#2), Up Around The Bend / Run Through The Jungle (#4)

Say goodbye to Creedence. I'm sensing a trend. Tim had it at #73. Probably the best CCR offering. It spent 9 weeks atop of the album charts in the U.S. Contains a cover of Bo Diddley's Before You Accuse Me, which Eric Clapton recorded almost exactly the same way 20 years later.

#67 - DEEP PURPLE - Machine Head (1972) (9.04 million albums)
Notable songs: Smoke On The Water (#4), Never Before, Lazy, Highway Star, Space Truckin

And now Deep Purple falls off the list. This album got played twice as much as all the other ones combined. The album hit #1 in 8 countries (#7 in the U.S.). It's my favorite DP album . . . would be interested to hear from others who think otherwise. Tim had it at #58.

#66 - THE JIMI HENDRIX EXPERIENCE - Are You Experienced (1967) (9.2 million)
Notable songs: Purple Haze (#65), Foxy Lady (#67), Hey Joe, Stone Free, The Wind Cries Mary, Manic Depression, Red House, Fire, 3rd Stone From The Sun, Title Track

We close out the set with another last album on the list. This one is chock full of both great music and popular songs. It's another one with different editions with different songs on each release. Jimi was a completely different sound compared to what else was popular at the time. Would have love to have gone to a show when he opened for The Monkees and the crowd was appalled. Tim had it at #38.

The next set features a double dose of rock royalty and will include the last few albums before we hit the 10 million mark.
These are arguably the best works of the artists involved. For The Police I have Ghost in the Machine higher than Zenyatta Modatta but it's close.

Nope. There are no more Kiss albums left.
Wow -- I'd have bet money that Alive II sold more than Alive! Did I miss Alive II being posted in this thread?
I was thinking the same, although maybe it’s personal bias as Alive II is when I and my elementary school aged friends got into them.

The 2ish million sales of Alive II sounds awfully low, especially in the context of Alive!

Last edited:
I have to imagine every rock guitarist in the world wanted to quit when this dropped.
I would think the opposite. I think there were a bunch of current and wanna be guitarists back then that wished they could play like Jimi. I'd have to go back and check release dates for other albums, but I don't recall any other groups or guitarists that had a style or a sound anywhere close to Hendrix's. Once Are You Experienced came along, there were a lot more guitar-heavy songs and albums across the next few years. I'm not a guitar player, so I don't know how complicated it is to play Jimi's licks 57 years later. He sure was an innovator back in the day.
All the big guitarists of the day were in awe of Jimi and gravitated to him once he hit big*. Stephen Stills, already an excellent player, incorporated much of Hendrix' style into his own playing because he was so impressed with it. He and Hendrix became close friends and at one point Hendrix asked him to become his bass player, which obviously he declined.

* - Maybe not Jeff Beck, because he didn't get along with anybody.

Wow -- I'd have bet money that Alive II sold more than Alive! Did I miss Alive II being posted in this thread?
I was thinking the same, although maybe it’s personal bias as Alive II is when I and my elementary school aged friends got into them.

The 2ish million sales of Alive II sounds awfully low, especially in context of Alive!
It does. However, I suspect there are a lot of people who own only one Kiss album, and that album is Alive!

I have to imagine every rock guitarist in the world wanted to quit when this dropped.
I would think the opposite. I think there were a bunch of current and wanna be guitarists back then that wished they could play like Jimi. I'd have to go back and check release dates for other albums, but I don't recall any other groups or guitarists that had a style or a sound anywhere close to Hendrix's. Once Are You Experienced came along, there were a lot more guitar-heavy songs and albums across the next few years. I'm not a guitar player, so I don't know how complicated it is to play Jimi's licks 57 years later. He sure was an innovator back in the day.
All the big guitarists of the day were in awe of Jimi and gravitated to him once he hit big*. Stephen Stills, already an excellent player, incorporated much of Hendrix' style into his own playing because he was so impressed with it. He and Hendrix became close friends and at one point Hendrix asked him to become his bass player, which obviously he declined.

* - Maybe not Jeff Beck, because he didn't get along with anybody.
And Jimi was AT LEAST impressed (if not in awe) of Terry Kath. Was Beck the only one without an inferiority complex?

#65 - QUEEN - The Game (1980) (9.33 million albums)
Notable songs: Crazy Little Thing Called Love (#1), Another One Bites The Dust (#1), Play The Game (#42), Need Your Loving Tonight (#44), Need Your Loving Tonight, Save Me, Dragon Attack

The Game was the only Queen album to hit #1 in the States. Not many albums have two #1 hits on it, but IMO, the rest of the album is a bit hot or miss. Crazy Little Thing was written in 5 minutes while Freddie was taking a bath.

#64 - THE ROLLING STONES - Sticky Fingers (1971) (9.35 million albums)
Notable songs: Brown Sugar (#1), Wild Horses (#28), Can't You Hear Me Knocking, *****, Sister Morphine, Sway, You Gotta Move, Dead Flowers, I Got The Blues, Moonlight Mile

Rolling Stone had it at #104. Tim had it #1. Can't You Hear Me Knocking is my all-time Stones fave. I am not that big of a Stones fan, so it would never sniff my Top 10, but I admit the album is very good. My first album / exposure to the band was the Hot Rocks compilation (which I really liked). Never got into the early albums individually.

#63 - FLEETWOOD MAC - Fleetwood Mac (1975) (9.4 million albums)
Notable songs: Rhiannon (#11), Say That You Love Me (#11), Over My Head (#20), Warm Ways, Monday Morning, Blue Letter, Landslide, World Turning

Tim had the self-titled album at #31. Most bands don't make it big after their 10th studio album, but here we are. It was the first one with Nicks and Buckingham, which clearly changed the fortunes for the band. I remember listening to this one a lot . . . but only after Rumours came out.

#62 - QUEEN - News Of The World (1977) (9.54 million copies)
Notable songs: We Are The Champions (#4), We Will Rock You, Sheer Heart Attack, Get Down Make Love,

I don't believe We Will Rock You was released as a single in the U.S. I always enjoyed the "fast version" (without the stomping and clapping). I love Queen, but at this stage I just have 100 or so songs in a folder and just hit shuffle play . . . so my opinion on individual albums isn't worth all that much.

#61 - JOHN LENNON & YOKO ONO - Double Fantasy (1980) (9.92 million albums)
Notable songs: (Just Like) Starting Over (#1), Woman (#2), Watching The Wheels (#10), Beautiful Boy, I'm Losing You

I remember watching the Dolphins and Patriots game on Monday Night Football when Howard Cosell announced Lennon had been shot and killed. That was 3 weeks after this album came out. Half the songs are by John, while the other compositions are by Yoko. So pretty much half a good album.

It's all 10 million sellers the rest of the way. You could have given me 10,000 guesses and I never would have come up with the next album. Compared to the other albums in the next block, it doesn't really seem to fit . . . at all.

Air Supply?
I didn't consider them as rock . . . but it didn't matter as they didn't sell enough to qualify. The artist in question already appeared on the list, so I guess I shouldn't be shocked. I'm just surprised that of all of the releases from this particular artist, this is the one that is the best-selling album.

Sometimes I see wonder what effect The Columbia Record Club had on overall sales.
I could be wrong, but I thought only albums that were "sold" at close to the regular sales price counted as "sales." I didn't think that albums given out for promos or ones given away or available for a penny counted . . . but that's what I remember from 30 years ago (and I can't remember stuff from 30 minutes ago). I admit to joining various record clubs, "listening" to them with my cassette player on record, and then returning them "for any reason" to get out of paying for anything.

Bay City Rollers
I wish. I was into them something fierce back in the day. As posted above, it's someone on the list already. Just surprised this album sold so much. There will be other WTF??? albums coming up, so maybe I am overselling this one as being out of place.
I think I had their first 8 albums. I can't tell you why . . . it just sort of happened. Shang-A-Lang, Bye Bye Baby, Saturday Night, Give A Little Love, I Only Wanna Be With You, Money Honey, You Made Me Believe In Magic. Loved, loved, loved them. I think the 30 years of therapy since then probably helped a lot. Also loved the band Sweet.

I don't believe We Will Rock You was released as a single in the U.S. I always enjoyed the "fast version" (without the stomping and clapping).
Yes - only “We Are The Champions” was released as a single, hitting #4. I believe only AOR stations made the two songs companion pieces.

Agree about the fast version of WWRY being superior. Pretty sure they launched that version with the 1978 tour supporting Jazz - and leads off the great Live Killers album the following year.

Notable songs: Crazy Little Thing Called Love (#1), Another One Bites The Dust (#1), Play The Game (#42), Need Your Loving Tonight (#44), Need Your Loving Tonight, Save Me, Dragon Attack

The Game was the only Queen album to hit #1 in the States. Not many albums have two #1 hits on it, but IMO, the rest of the album is a bit hot or miss. Crazy Little Thing was written in 5 minutes while Freddie was taking a bath.

#64 - THE ROLLING STONES - Sticky Fingers (1971) (9.35 million albums)
Notable songs: Brown Sugar (#1), Wild Horses (#28), Can't You Hear Me Knocking, *****, Sister Morphine, Sway, You Gotta Move, Dead Flowers, I Got The Blues, Moonlight Mile

Rolling Stone had it at #104. Tim had it #1. Can't You Hear Me Knocking is my all-time Stones fave. I am not that big of a Stones fan, so it would never sniff my Top 10, but I admit the album is very good. My first album / exposure to the band was the Hot Rocks compilation (which I really liked). Never got into the early albums individually.

#63 - FLEETWOOD MAC - Fleetwood Mac (1975) (9.4 million albums)
Notable songs: Rhiannon (#11), Say That You Love Me (#11), Over My Head (#20), Warm Ways, Monday Morning, Blue Letter, Landslide, World Turning

Tim had the self-titled album at #31. Most bands don't make it big after their 10th studio album, but here we are. It was the first one with Nicks and Buckingham, which clearly changed the fortunes for the band. I remember listening to this one a lot . . . but only after Rumours came out.

#62 - QUEEN - News Of The World (1977) (9.54 million copies)
Notable songs: We Are The Champions (#4), We Will Rock You, Sheer Heart Attack, Get Down Make Love,

I don't believe We Will Rock You was released as a single in the U.S. I always enjoyed the "fast version" (without the stomping and clapping). I love Queen, but at this stage I just have 100 or so songs in a folder and just hit shuffle play . . . so my opinion on individual albums isn't worth all that much.

#61 - JOHN LENNON & YOKO ONO - Double Fantasy (1980) (9.92 million albums)
Notable songs: (Just Like) Starting Over (#1), Woman (#2), Watching The Wheels (#10), Beautiful Boy, I'm Losing You

I remember watching the Dolphins and Patriots game on Monday Night Football when Howard Cosell announced Lennon had been shot and killed. That was 3 weeks after this album came out. Half the songs are by John, while the other compositions are by Yoko. So pretty much half a good album.

It's all 10 million sellers the rest of the way. You could have given me 10,000 guesses and I never would have come up with the next album. Compared to the other albums in the next block, it doesn't really seem to fit . . . at all.
We Will Rock You was the B-side of We Are the Champions. FM stations often played them together (with We Will Rock You first, because it's the first track on the album and We Are the Champions is the second track.) A live version was released as a single in 1979.

Another One Bites the Dust was going to be left off The Game until someone convinced them to include it. That someone was Michael Jackson.

Sticky Fingers is amazing and Can't You Hear Me Knocking alternates as my #1 Stones song along with Gimme Shelter.

Fleetwood Mac s/t doesn't sound much different from Rumours, nor is it much different in quality. They were essentially a new band when Buckingham and Nicks joined, as they sounded absolutely nothing like the previous versions.

The five Lennon songs you listed are among his best. I have no idea whether any of the Yoko songs are her "best" and I'm certainly not doing a deep dive to find out.

Bay City Rollers
I wish. I was into them something fierce back in the day. As posted above, it's someone on the list already. Just surprised this album sold so much. There will be other WTF??? albums coming up, so maybe I am overselling this one as being out of place.
I think I had their first 8 albums. I can't tell you why . . . it just sort of happened. Shang-A-Lang, Bye Bye Baby, Saturday Night, Give A Little Love, I Only Wanna Be With You, Money Honey, You Made Me Believe In Magic. Loved, loved, loved them. I think the 30 years of therapy since then probably helped a lot. Also loved the band Sweet.
Sweet had great material.

Eight albums' worth of Bay City Rollers, though. That's ... a choice.

Air Supply?
I didn't consider them as rock . . . but it didn't matter as they didn't sell enough to qualify. The artist in question already appeared on the list, so I guess I shouldn't be shocked. I'm just surprised that of all of the releases from this particular artist, this is the one that is the best-selling album.
Rod Stewart seems to be your poster boy for "I have no idea why this sold as much as it did."

Eight albums' worth of Bay City Rollers, though. That's ... a choice.
To flesh this out a little bit more, my older siblings bought me the first couple of albums when I was 8 or 9 years old. Then I bought a couple on my own at 10. My siblings saw that I liked them and bought me the others for birthdays or Xmas. I did not purchase or receive any others past age 11. If that is considered "a choice," so be it.

t's all 10 million sellers the rest of the way. You could have given me 10,000 guesses and I never would have come up with the next album. Compared to the other albums in the next block, it doesn't really seem to fit . . . at all.
Weird guess: Tubular Bells

Username does not check out. I guess you never saw Zep live?
Unfortunately I did not.
Neither did I -- but I was only 9 when Bonham died.
I was in a similar situation. The last time they played anywhere near me was when I was 10. I wouldn't have wanted to see them at that age (and never would have gotten permission to go either). I have seen Plant multiple times and enjoyed it, but not exactly the same.

t's all 10 million sellers the rest of the way. You could have given me 10,000 guesses and I never would have come up with the next album. Compared to the other albums in the next block, it doesn't really seem to fit . . . at all.
Weird guess: Tubular Bells
That's an excellent guess. And you are not wrong (at how crazy it sold). But as for the immediate question at hand, that is not the answer I was looking for. Save your answer for later. A LOT later.

Last hit on The Police, realizing now that Synchronicity falls outside the time range so it won't come up.

Synchronicity is one heck of an album. "Every Breath You Take" was a number one song for months.

For my money though, their greatest song is "King of Pain". Among many great songs on this album and the other 4 albums previously mentioned.

It's a bit crazy, but that's it. The 4 albums brought up, and Synchronicity. Good for them, in the way that when they were done, they were done. They could have easily milked that longer, even if their hearts weren't in it.

Bay City Rollers
If one needs therapy for loving Sweet, I need to up my seasons with my therapist.

#59T - NEIL DIAMOND - Jonathan Living Seagull Soundtrack (1973) (10 million albums)
Notable songs: Be (#34), Skybird (#75)

I've got nothing to explain this one. Diamond had 13 Top 10 singles, none of which were on this album. I don't remember any of these songs getting much airplay. Yet this soundtrack sold over 4 million more copies than The Jazz Singer did (which had 4 singles hit the Top 11). I'm at a loss. We bid farewell to Neil.

#59T - ELECTRIC LIGHT ORCHESTRA - Out Of The Blue (1977) (10 million albums)
Notable songs: Turn To Stone (#13), Sweet Talkin' Woman (#17), Mr. Blue Sky (#35), It's Over (#75), Wild West Hero

We also wave goodbye to ELO. Tim had it at #87. I'm guessing the fact this was a double album would explain why it hit 10 million in sales. The band had a distinctive sound and faded in the 80's before Jeff Lynne tried to reboot things in 2015.

#58 - AC/DC - For Those About To Rock We Salute You (1981) (10.04 million albums)
Notable songs: Let's Get Up (#44), Title Track, I Put The Finger On You, Spellbound, Snowballed

It's hard to suggest that an album that sold 10 million copies wasn't that popular, but compared to Back In Black, taken as a whole, this album wasn't nearly as popular. I remember the title track getting played a lot, but the rest of the album doesn't sound all that familiar to me.

#57 - BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN - The River (1980) (10.05 million albums)
Notable songs: Hungry Heart (#5), Fade Away (#20), I Wanna Marry You, Sherry Darling, Title Track, Cadillac Ranch, Point Blank, The Ties That Bind, Out In The Street,

This one had 7 songs released as singles. Another double album to inflate the total albums sold number. Bruce really isn't my thing. Any fans wanting to check in and describe why they like this album vs. other Springsteen albums would be greatly appreciated.

#56 - THE DOORS - L.A. Woman (1971) (10.13 million albums)
Notable songs: Love Her Madly (#11), Riders On The Storm (#14), Title Track, The Changeling, Been Down So Long, Crawling King Snake, The WASP

Tim had it at #34. Most days, I would call this my second favorite Doors album. Riders On The Storm is usually my favorite song by them (although that might vary on the day or my mood).

Next set, we say goodbye to two American artists.

#59T - NEIL DIAMOND - Jonathan Living Seagull Soundtrack (1973) (10 million albums)

I've got nothing to explain this one. Diamond had 13 Top 10 singles, none of which were on this album. I don't remember any of these songs getting much airplay. Yet this soundtrack sold over 4 million more copies than The Jazz Singer did (which had 4 singles hit the Top 11). I'm at a loss. We bid farewell to Neil.
Yeah, that’s a bizarre unexpected one. I never even heard of the movie, let alone the soundtrack. The only thing I can think of regarding the massive success of this album is that it followed his huge live album Hot August Night (not sure where that ended up sales wise in this format). Neil was on top then, but still can’t account why this was his biggest.

This is a great album and I’m not much of a fan of Queens albums. The lows are just too low on most of them. Crazy Little Thing is just a fun song and Dragon Attack is one of my favorite Queen songs. That groove is killer.

The 2ish million sales of Alive II sounds awfully low, especially in the context of Alive!
I always thought Alive II was a much bigger album than Alive. It may have been an age thing. My friends and I all had II. Folks a few years older probably had Alive.

I always thought Alive II was a much bigger album than Alive. It may have been an age thing. My friends and I all had II. Folks a few years older probably had Alive.
Both album covers are outstanding - the colors and images are so vibrant.

Last edited:

Notable songs: Turn To Stone (#13), Sweet Talkin' Woman (#17), Mr. Blue Sky (#35), It's Over (#75), Wild West Hero

We also wave goodbye to ELO. Tim had it at #87. I'm guessing the fact this was a double album would explain why it hit 10 million in sales. The band had a distinctive sound and faded in the 80's before Jeff Lynne tried to reboot things in 2015.

#58 - AC/DC - For Those About To Rock We Salute You (1981) (10.04 million albums)
Notable songs: Let's Get Up (#44), Title Track, I Put The Finger On You, Spellbound, Snowballed

It's hard to suggest that an album that sold 10 million copies wasn't that popular, but compared to Back In Black, taken as a whole, this album wasn't nearly as popular. I remember the title track getting played a lot, but the rest of the album doesn't sound all that familiar to me.

Notable songs: Hungry Heart (#5), Fade Away (#20), I Wanna Marry You, Sherry Darling, Title Track, Cadillac Ranch, Point Blank, The Ties That Bind, Out In The Street,

This one had 7 songs released as singles. Another double album to inflate the total albums sold number. Bruce really isn't my thing. Any fans wanting to check in and describe why they like this album vs. other Springsteen albums would be greatly appreciated.

Notable songs: Love Her Madly (#11), Riders On The Storm (#14), Title Track, The Changeling, Been Down So Long, Crawling King Snake, The WASP

Tim had it at #34. Most days, I would call this my second favorite Doors album. Riders On The Storm is usually my favorite song by them (although that might vary on the day or my mood).

Seagull sold 2 million copies in the US vs. 5 million for The Jazz Singer, so overseas sales are doing the heavy lifting here. It does seem to be beloved among the hardcore Diamond fans.

#55 - AEROSMITH - Toys In The Attic (1975) (10.18 million albums)
Notable songs: Sweet Emotion (#36), Walk This Way, You See Me Crying, Big Ten Inch Record, Title Track, Helter Skelter (deluxe edition)

Tim had it at #63. Aerosmith leaves the countdown with an album that has two of their most popular songs. They actually had albums that outsold this one (Get A Grip 20M and Pump 10.5M). I don't personally know many Aerosmith fans (even though I live in Aerosmith country).

#54 - BOSTON - Don't Look Back (1978) (10.47 million albums)
Notable songs: Title Track (#4), A Man I'll Never Be (#31), Feelin' Satisfied (#46), Party, Don't Be Afraid, It's Easy

If we didn't have the first album from Boston, the second album would be viewed a lot differently. It eclipsed 1 million in album sales in 10 days. It also started a feud and legal issues between Tom Scholz and the record label, which led to an 8-year gap until the Third Stage album was released.

#53 - THE BEATLES - Magical Mystery Tour (1967) (10.6 million albums)
Notable songs: All You Need Is Love (#1), Hello Goodbye (#1), Penny Lane / Strawberry Fields Forever (#2), I Am The Walrus, Title Track, Your Mother Should Know, The Fool On The Hill, Baby You're A Rich Man

It's been so long since we had a Beatles album that I almost forgot about them. Tim had it at #25. Another one of The Beatles part new material / compilation of singles albums. It has a lot of classic tracks . . . surprised it didn't sell better.

#52 - BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN - Born To Run (1975) (10.7 million albums)
Notable songs: Title Track (#23), Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out (#83), Thunder Road, Jungleland, Backstreets, She's The One

Our last entry from The Boss. Tim had it at #12. To put things in perspective sales wise, Born In The U.S.A. sold almost triple the Born To Run album. IMO, this was his best 70's release. Even so, I struggle to get through more than a few Springsteen songs in a row. I admit they are really strong songs, but I was never a huge fan.

#51 - AC/DC - Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap (1976) (10.97 million albums)
Notable songs: Title Track (#4), Jailbreak (#33), Love At First Feel, Big Balls, Rocker, Problem Child

Who's got big balls? I never really thought about how popular AC/DC was or looked into how much they've sold, but holy moly were they a cash cow! Total album sales of over 200 million (half of those in the states). I never knew. I guess I never picked up on that. I like them but don't love them, and at my age, I can only take them in small doses. Lights out at 9 pm these days.

We hit the Top 50 and the 11 million album sales mark next. The upcoming set is more iconic artists with albums that everyone will know. I see Led Zeppelin getting ready to make an appearance . . . and we are still aways away from their big albums.

Seagull sold 2 million copies in the US vs. 5 million for The Jazz Singer, so overseas sales are doing the heavy lifting here. It does seem to be beloved among the hardcore Diamond fans.
That book was an out-of-left-field phenom, too. It was everywhere in the early 70s.

Must be somewhat like the French love for Jerry Lewis.

Notable songs: Sweet Emotion (#36), Walk This Way, You See Me Crying, Big Ten Inch Record, Title Track, Helter Skelter (deluxe edition)

Tim had it at #63. Aerosmith leaves the countdown with an album that has two of their most popular songs. They actually had albums that outsold this one (Get A Grip 20M and Pump 10.5M). I don't personally know many Aerosmith fans (even though I live in Aerosmith country).

Notable songs: Title Track (#4), A Man I'll Never Be (#31), Feelin' Satisfied (#46), Party, Don't Be Afraid, It's Easy

If we didn't have the first album from Boston, the second album would be viewed a lot differently. It eclipsed 1 million in album sales in 10 days. It also started a feud and legal issues between Tom Scholz and the record label, which led to an 8-year gap until the Third Stage album was released.

Notable songs: All You Need Is Love (#1), Hello Goodbye (#1), Penny Lane / Strawberry Fields Forever (#2), I Am The Walrus, Title Track, Your Mother Should Know, The Fool On The Hill, Baby You're A Rich Man

It's been so long since we had a Beatles album that I almost forgot about them. Tim had it at #25. Another one of The Beatles part new material / compilation of singles albums. It has a lot of classic tracks . . . surprised it didn't sell better.

Notable songs: Title Track (#23), Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out (#83), Thunder Road, Jungleland, Backstreets, She's The One

Our last entry from The Boss. Tim had it at #12. To put things in perspective sales wise, Born In The U.S.A. sold almost triple the Born To Run album. IMO, this was his best 70's release. Even so, I struggle to get through more than a few Springsteen songs in a row. I admit they are really strong songs, but I was never a huge fan.

Notable songs: Title Track (#4), Jailbreak (#33), Love At First Feel, Big Balls, Rocker, Problem Child

Who's got big balls? I never really thought about how popular AC/DC was or looked into how much they've sold, but holy moly were they a cash cow! Total album sales of over 200 million (half of those in the states). I never knew. I guess I never picked up on that. I like them but don't love them, and at my age, I can only take them in small doses. Lights out at 9 pm these days.

We hit the Top 50 and the 11 million album sales mark next. The upcoming set is more iconic artists with albums that everyone will know. I see Led Zeppelin getting ready to make an appearance . . . and we are still aways away from their big albums.
Good group of records.

Toys is probably, top-to-bottom, Aerosmith's best. "Sweet Emotion" is a great groove record.

Boston's 2nd was really solid, but they were basically rewriting songs from their previous album. They weren't the only artist that did that, but their "sound" ossified pretty quickly.

MMT playlist is canon now, whether everyone wants to admit it or not.

Like David, I'm not a huge Springsteen fan. This is probably the one I'd choose if I had to listen to an entire album (though I think BITUSA
has more good songs).

I doubt Dirty Deeds sold more than 100 copies in the US before Bon Scott died. It got a massive radio push after.

I'd rank 'em:

MMT
Deeds
Toys
Born To Run
Don't Look Back

#50 - BILLY JOEL - Glass Houses (1980) (11 million albums)
Notable songs: It's Still Rock And Roll To Me (#1), You May Be Right (#7), Don't Ask Me Why (#19), Sometimes A Fantasy (#36), All For Leyna, Sleeping With The Television On

LOVE the first side. The second side . . . not so much. Joel was big with the mainstream kids in high school. Pretty much the clean cut, rank and file, yuppy-ish types. I've seen Billy countless times, and I didn't really listen to his albums all that much. I made mix tapes and dropped the filler songs.

#49 - THE EAGLES - The Long Run (1979) (11.15 million albums)
Notable songs: Heartache Tonight (#1), Title Track (#8), I Can't Tell You Why (#8), In The City, Those Shoes, Disco Strangler, Teenage Jail, The Sad Cafe

Heartache was the last of their five #1 songs. This album has come up in other threads and has been strongly criticized. I recently played this one straight through after several years of not giving it a thought and still knew every lyric. This was smack dab in my wheelhouse when it was released. It's not as good as Hotel California but I still love it regardless.

#48 - THE ROLLING STONE - Some Girls (1978) (11.3 million albums)
Notable songs: Miss You (#1), Beast Of Burden (#8), Shattered (#31), Respectable, When The Whip Comes Down, Just My Imagination, Title Track

Tim had it at #79. I'm not sure this deserves to be the Stones best-selling album, but it has a lot of popular songs. I'll listen to any of the songs if they pop up somewhere. I never understood the fascination with Mick from women young enough to be his granddaughter. But it is what it is. Either way, we say sayanora to Mick and the boys. It ranked #78 on Tim's list.

#47 - QUEEN - A Night At The Opera (1975) (11.4 million albums)
Notable songs: (#2 . . . in 1991), You're My Best Friend (#16), Love Of My Life, I'm In Love With My Car, 39, Death On Two Legs

Bohemian Rhapsody charted higher from Wayne's World than it did initially upon its release (#9). I used to think Stairway To Heaven was the song I hear most on the radio, but with Bohemian Rhapsody having so many revivals (Live Aid, Freddie's passing, Wayne's World, the feature film) that it may have caught up. I still hear it all the time. Wave buh-bye to Queen. Tim had it at #16.

#46 - LED ZEPPELIN - In Through The Out Door (1979) (11.5 million albums)
Notable songs: Fool In The Rain (#21), All My Love, In The Evening, Carouselambra, Hot Dog, South Bound Saurez, I'm Gonna Crawl

The last studio album (unless we count the leftovers album Coda). For almost any other band, this would be their crowning achievement. But for Zep, it was just all right. Don't get me wrong, I do like it, but it's just not the same of their early stuff. Tim had this one at #98.

Up next, two American bands that shared a couple of band members . . . and three more British artists. No one should have any issues with the next set. There are some real head scratchers later on, but we don't need to get paranoid about them yet.

I doubt Dirty Deeds sold more than 100 copies in the US before Bon Scott died. It got a massive radio push after.
It didnt get released in North America until after Back in Black. It sold well because it came after Back in Black. It's also a pretty friggin great LP. :headbang: Jailbreak wasn't on the release here and Ride On is a very underrated song from this album

It didnt get released in North America until after Back in Black. It sold well because it came after Back in Black.
Yup - I remember buying the cassette tape of Dirty Deeds right after Back in Black exploded. Got it at Musicland for $7.99, give or take.

It didnt get released in North America until after Back in Black. It sold well because it came after Back in Black.
Yup - I remember buying the cassette tape of Dirty Deeds right after Back in Black exploded. Got it at Musicland for $7.99, give or take.
Was also super weird since everyone heard Brian J. on BinB and then they go and release something right after with a different singer (the deceased Bon), recorded 5 years prior. Record company wanted to cash in while they could awaiting the release of the next album (For Those About to Rock)

Magical Mystery Tour was only an LP in the states. It was an EP in most other places. The US label put their recent singles together to make side 2 of the album. If it's not counted as an "album" in the rest of the world, that could explain why its numbers are lower than the other Beatles records.

I can't believe Get a Grip has outsold the next-best-selling Aerosmith album by almost twice as much. It did have all those screechy power ballads on it -- probably brought in the Midwestern moms like Clapton's Unplugged did.

Was also super weird since everyone heard Brian J. on BinB and then they go and release something right after with a different singer (the deceased Bon), recorded 5 years prior. Record company wanted to cash in while they could awaiting the release of the next album (For Those About to Rock)
Atlantic Records IIRC

Back in those days you remembered which band was on which label due to staring so much at the album/cassette.

Our last entry from The Boss. Tim had it at #12. To put things in perspective

Like David, I'm not a huge Springsteen fan. This is probably the one I'd choose if I had to listen to an entire album (though I think BITUSA
has more good songs).
I can't with BITUSA because of the production. It's so cheesy and has dated so badly.

#50 - BILLY JOEL - Glass Houses (1980) (11 million albums)
Notable songs: It's Still Rock And Roll To Me (#1), You May Be Right (#7), Don't Ask Me Why (#19), Sometimes A Fantasy (#36), All For Leyna, Sleeping With The Television On

LOVE the first side. The second side . . . not so much. Joel was big with the mainstream kids in high school. Pretty much the clean cut, rank and file, yuppy-ish types. I've seen Billy countless times, and I didn't really listen to his albums all that much. I made mix tapes and dropped the filler songs.

#49 - THE EAGLES - The Long Run (1979) (11.15 million albums)
Notable songs: Heartache Tonight (#1), Title Track (#8), I Can't Tell You Why (#8), In The City, Those Shoes, Disco Strangler, Teenage Jail, The Sad Cafe

Heartache was the last of their five #1 songs. This album has come up in other threads and has been strongly criticized. I recently played this one straight through after several years of not giving it a thought and still knew every lyric. This was smack dab in my wheelhouse when it was released. It's not as good as Hotel California but I still love it regardless.

#48 - THE ROLLING STONE - Some Girls (1978) (11.3 million albums)
Notable songs: Miss You (#1), Beast Of Burden (#8), Shattered (#31), Respectable, When The Whip Comes Down, Just My Imagination, Title Track

Tim had it at #79. I'm not sure this deserves to be the Stones best-selling album, but it has a lot of popular songs. I'll listen to any of the songs if they pop up somewhere. I never understood the fascination with Mick from women young enough to be his granddaughter. But it is what it is. Either way, we say sayanora to Mick and the boys. It ranked #78 on Tim's list.

#47 - QUEEN - A Night At The Opera (1975) (11.4 million albums)
Notable songs: (#2 . . . in 1991), You're My Best Friend (#16), Love Of My Life, I'm In Love With My Car, 39, Death On Two Legs

Bohemian Rhapsody charted higher from Wayne's World than it did initially upon its release (#9). I used to think Stairway To Heaven was the song I hear most on the radio, but with Bohemian Rhapsody having so many revivals (Live Aid, Freddie's passing, Wayne's World, the feature film) that it may have caught up. I still hear it all the time. Wave buh-bye to Queen. Tim had it at #16.

#46 - LED ZEPPELIN - In Through The Out Door (1979) (11.5 million albums)
Notable songs: Fool In The Rain (#21), All My Love, In The Evening, Carouselambra, Hot Dog, South Bound Saurez, I'm Gonna Crawl

The last studio album (unless we count the leftovers album Coda). For almost any other band, this would be their crowning achievement. But for Zep, it was just all right. Don't get me wrong, I do like it, but it's just not the same of their early stuff. Tim had this one at #98.

Up next, two American bands that shared a couple of band members . . . and three more British artists. No one should have any issues with the next set. There are some real head scratchers later on, but we don't need to get paranoid about them yet.
It's wild that one of Zep's least-loved albums outsold the biggest sellers from Queen and the Stones.

I'm one of the people who criticizes The Long Run. Aside from the title track, In the City and Those Shoes, I find the rest of the tracks boring or annoyingly bad.

Users who are viewing this thread