What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Top 250 Best Selling Rock Albums (1967 - 1981) (1 Viewer)

#85 - MEN AT WORK - Business As Usual (1981) (7.47 million albums)
Notable songs: Who Can It Be Now? (#1), Down Under (#1), Be Good Johnny, I Can See It In Your Eyes, Underground

Timing is everything, and Men At Work cashed in when the new wave / MTV era exploded 4 years after they started out. Not the most cerebral record, but they were a fun band. I am pretty sure the vinyl album is gathering dust in my house somewhere. They put out 3 studio albums in 4 years.

#84 - AC/DC - High Voltage (1976) (7.55 million albums)
Notable songs: It's A Long Way To The Top, Title Tracks, The Jack, Baby Please Don't Go, T.N.T., Live Wire

We are just warming up on the AC/DC front. This one gets a little confusing, as there's an Australian version (their debut album) and an international version (which contains most of the songs on their T.N.T. album).

#83 - BOB DYLAN - Desire (1976) (7.7 million albums)
Notable songs: Hurricane (#33), Mozambique (#54), Isis, One More Cup Of Coffee, Joey, Sara, Romance In Durango

We bid adieu to Bob, which seems like an odd album to end on. I remember Hurricane pretty well and the other tracks sound vaguely familiar. This was the best selling Dylan album from any point in his career, which again, seems odd.

#82 - THE JIMI HENDRIX EXPERIENCE - Electric Ladyland (1969) (7.71 million albums)
Notable songs: All Along The Watchtower (#20), Crosstown Traffic (#52), Voodoo Chile, Have You Ever Been (To Electric Ladyland). Little Miss Strange, Come On, Gypsy Eyes

Jimi's cover of Watchtower is how I remember Dylan, meaning I like other people version's of his songs better than his own. Voodoo Chile ((Slight Return) is still fresh and sounds like it could have been released last week. I know it's really good because when I play it, my wife immediately turns off "that noise."

#81 - JACKSON BROWNE - Running On Empty (1977) (7.74 million albums)
Notable songs: Title Track (#11), Stay (#20), You Love The Thunder, The Load Out, Rosie,

Jackson stops in to say hello. This one is a non-studio album recorded either live or on the road in other places. I met him and hung out with him and Daryl Hannah for a beneift concert 40 years ago. He seemed like a decent enough guy. He's definitely more of an icon out in L.A. and nowhere near as popular elsewhere.

We cross the 8 million album threshold in the next set, which is exclusively comprised of British performers and features a double shot from one of the bands we discussed recently. (In fact, the next 11 albums are from UK artists . . . and Rod Stewart isn't one of them).
I was in sixth grade in 1982-83. Most of my classmates were obsessed with Men at Work.

Desire benefited from renewed interest in Dylan following the release of Blood on the Tracks, and the hype around the Rolling Thunder Revue tour that followed it. It’s also chock full of great songs and sounds like none of his other albums.

Electric Ladyland is a tour de force. I’m going to be pedantic about the song labeling. There is a 15-minute song called “Voodoo Chile” and a shorter song called “Voodoo Child (Slight Return)”. Note the “e” and “d” differences in the spelling. The shorter song is the one that gets played on the radio and is presumably the one from your anecdote. I have seen the long one performed live by Steve Winwood and Eric Clapton, and the shorter one performed live by Umphrey’s McGee, among others.
I went to see Stevie Ray Vaughan on my 18th birthday out in California.I got a triple treat of Jimi covers in Little Wing, Voodoo Child (Slight Return), and Third Rock From The Sun, which combined clocked in at 30+ minutes. He absolutely tore the roof off.

Notable songs: Who Can It Be Now? (#1), Down Under (#1), Be Good Johnny, I Can See It In Your Eyes, Underground

Timing is everything, and Men At Work cashed in when the new wave / MTV era exploded 4 years after they started out. Not the most cerebral record, but they were a fun band. I am pretty sure the vinyl album is gathering dust in my house somewhere. They put out 3 studio albums in 4 years.

#84 - AC/DC - High Voltage (1976) (7.55 million albums)
Notable songs: It's A Long Way To The Top, Title Tracks, The Jack, Baby Please Don't Go, T.N.T., Live Wire

We are just warming up on the AC/DC front. This one gets a little confusing, as there's an Australian version (their debut album) and an international version (which contains most of the songs on their T.N.T. album).

#83 - BOB DYLAN - Desire (1976) (7.7 million albums)
Notable songs: Hurricane (#33), Mozambique (#54), Isis, One More Cup Of Coffee, Joey, Sara, Romance In Durango

We bid adieu to Bob, which seems like an odd album to end on. I remember Hurricane pretty well and the other tracks sound vaguely familiar. This was the best selling Dylan album from any point in his career, which again, seems odd.

#82 - THE JIMI HENDRIX EXPERIENCE - Electric Ladyland (1969) (7.71 million albums)
Notable songs: All Along The Watchtower (#20), Crosstown Traffic (#52), Voodoo Chile, Have You Ever Been (To Electric Ladyland). Little Miss Strange, Come On, Gypsy Eyes

Jimi's cover of Watchtower is how I remember Dylan, meaning I like other people version's of his songs better than his own. Voodoo Chile ((Slight Return) is still fresh and sounds like it could have been released last week. I know it's really good because when I play it, my wife immediately turns off "that noise."

#81 - JACKSON BROWNE - Running On Empty (1977) (7.74 million albums)
Notable songs: Title Track (#11), Stay (#20), You Love The Thunder, The Load Out, Rosie,

Jackson stops in to say hello. This one is a non-studio album recorded either live or on the road in other places. I met him and hung out with him and Daryl Hannah for a beneift concert 40 years ago. He seemed like a decent enough guy. He's definitely more of an icon out in L.A. and nowhere near as popular elsewhere.

We cross the 8 million album threshold in the next set, which is exclusively comprised of British performers and features a double shot from one of the bands we discussed recently. (In fact, the next 11 albums are from UK artists . . . and Rod Stewart isn't one of them).
I always liked Men At Work. They were quirky and different. The singer had a unique voice that seemed cool to me.

AC/DC's LP catalog was a mess back in the day, as Yudkin alludes to. I had a copy of this, but don't recall if it was the U.S. version or an import. Doesn't matter, as AC/DC was AC/DC.

So long, Dylan. Never a fan, not that you needed me to be one. "Hurricane" goes on about 25 verses too long.

"Electric Ladyland" is one of the greatest albums of all time. Full stop.

I'll deny it in a court of law, but I like some of the songs on Browne's record - especially the title track. "The Load Out/Stay" was recorded live at Merriweather Post Pavilion in Columbia, MD. I've been to a million concerts there, though I wasn't at this one.

#80 - ERIC CLAPTON - Slowhand (1977) (7.8 million albums)
Notable songs: Lay Down Sally (#3), Wonderful Tonight (#16), Cocaine, The Core, Peaches & Diesel

We say goodbye to Slowhand with a similarly entitled album. EC checks out with 6 albums on the countdown. The studio version of Cocaine is great with headphones. The deluxe edition of the album includes part of a performance from London in 1977 with some solid picking.

#79 - PINK FLOYD - Meddle (1971) (7.95 million albums)
Notable songs: One Of These Days, Fearless, Echoes, A Pillow Of Winds, San Tropez

We are still miles away from the biggies from Floyd. Meddle is a step in the right direction compared to the other albums on the list so far. Echoes is one of my faves, and One Of These Days was performed live a ton in Dave's version of PF. There were 3.1 million albums sold in the States (again, likely more in the future than at the time of release).

#78 - THE ROLLING STONES - Exile On Main St. (1972) (8.1 million albums)
Notable songs: Tumbling Dice (#7), Happy (#22), Sweet Black Angel, Rocks Off, All Down The Line, Rip This Joint, Shine A Light, Sweet Virginia

Rolling Stone had this as high as #7 in their Top 500 albums. Tim had it at #9. It's one of the few double albums that doesn't scream to me to have been pared down to a single album. The band had worked on the material over a four year period. The album initially met with mixed reviews but those were later updated and multiple places have given it 5 star reviews.

#77 - THE POLICE - Regatta De Blanc (1979) (8.12 million albums)
Notable songs: Message In A Bottle (#79), Walking On The Moon, The Bed's Too Big Without You, Bring On The Night, Title Track, Deathwish

A step down from their first album, IMO, but still a good listen. People that think Sting is full of himself can just wait patiently for the next rack. I always liked Bed's Too Big.

#76 - THE POLICE - Ghost In The Machine (1981) (8.13 million albums)
Notable songs: Everything She Does Is Magic (#3), Spirits In The Material World (#11), Secret Journey (#46), Invisible Sun, Demolition Man, Hungry For You, One World (Not Three)

I like this one better than Regatta. They added more keyboards and effects than in album's past. It ranked #322 on Rolling Stone's countdown. I took a long hiatus from The Police . . . like 20 years . . . but I listen to them quite a bit these days.

More Brits on the horizon . . . imagining, running, rising and falling, and tattooing.

#80 - ERIC CLAPTON - Slowhand (1977) (7.8 million albums)
Notable songs: Lay Down Sally (#3), Wonderful Tonight (#16), Cocaine, The Core, Peaches & Diesel

We say goodbye to Slowhand with a similarly entitled album. EC checks out with 6 albums on the countdown. The studio version of Cocaine is great with headphones. The deluxe edition of the album includes part of a performance from London in 1977 with some solid picking.

#79 - PINK FLOYD - Meddle (1971) (7.95 million albums)
Notable songs: One Of These Days, Fearless, Echoes, A Pillow Of Winds, San Tropez

We are still miles away from the biggies from Floyd. Meddle is a step in the right direction compared to the other albums on the list so far. Echoes is one of my faves, and One Of These Days was performed live a ton in Dave's version of PF. There were 3.1 million albums sold in the States (again, likely more in the future than at the time of release).

#78 - THE ROLLING STONES - Exile On Main St. (1972) (8.1 million albums)
Notable songs: Tumbling Dice (#7), Happy (#22), Sweet Black Angel, Rocks Off, All Down The Line, Rip This Joint, Shine A Light, Sweet Virginia

Rolling Stone had this as high as #7 in their Top 500 albums. Tim had it at #9. It's one of the few double albums that doesn't scream to me to have been pared down to a single album. The band had worked on the material over a four year period. The album initially met with mixed reviews but those were later updated and multiple places have given it 5 star reviews.

Notable songs: Message In A Bottle (#79), Walking On The Moon, The Bed's Too Big Without You, Bring On The Night, Title Track, Deathwish

A step down from their first album, IMO, but still a good listen. People that think Sting is full of himself can just wait patiently for the next rack. I always liked Bed's Too Big.

Notable songs: Everything She Does Is Magic (#3), Spirits In The Material World (#11), Secret Journey (#46), Invisible Sun, Demolition Man, Hungry For You, One World (Not Three)

I like this one better than Regatta. They added more keyboards and effects than in album's past. It ranked #322 on Rolling Stone's countdown. I took a long hiatus from The Police . . . like 20 years . . . but I listen to them quite a bit these days.

More Brits on the horizon . . . imagining, running, rising and falling, and tattooing.
Slowhand is Clapton's best post-1970 album but it's still got some meh on it. Cocaine and The Core are top-notch. Cocaine was played at the Winwood/Clapton show I mentioned earlier.

Meddle's U.S. sales mostly came after DSOTM. Their first post-Barrett song to get any real US radio play was Free Four from Obscured by Clouds the following year. But One of These Days, Fearless and Echoes are among their very best tracks, so its success is deserved.

Exile's muddy sound was considered a mistake at the time but turned out to predict the move away from pristine sonics in some corners of the rock universe. Of course it also helps that it's an extremely strong collection of songs with little filler.

Ghost is my favorite Police album -- it expanded their sound without making it too glossy (that would come next). Regatta is not consistent -- some of its songs were hastily written at the last minute because the band was short of material -- but its best songs are outstanding.

Rick Beato has a conversation with Stewart Copeland and Copeland mentions he
never listened to lyrics until after the Police broke up. I don't have a link but it's on Youtube.
This has nothing to do with this thread but how the Police made albums was interesting
to say the least.

#75 - JOHN LENNON - Imagine (1971) (8.22 million albums)
Notable songs: Title Track (#3), Jealous Guy, Gimme Some Truth, Power To The People (expanded version), Happy Xmas (War Is Over) (expanded version)

The title track is Lennon's best known solo song . . . and it's charted on a singles chart somewhere in the world in 18 different years. I've heard it so often that the shine has mostly worn off for me, but it's great nonetheless. I still haven't really figured out what labels were thinking in releasing some songs as singles only and not on albums, but that applies here. Tim had it at #75. There was a 6-disc version of the album that came out a few years ago.

#74 - THE ROLLING STONES - Tattoo You (1981) (8.5 million albums)
Notable songs: Start Me Up (#2), Waiting On A Friend (#13), Hang Fire (#20), Little T&A, Black Limousine, Slave, Worried About You

I remember Microsoft paid the Stones $10M to use Start Me Up in a commercial to launch Windows in 1995 (after R.E.M. passed on giving them the rights to It's The End Of The World As We Know It). From what I remember, the album was better received and got more airplay than Emotional Rescue. Given that the world had gone new wave / MTV crazy, surprised it sold this well.

#73 - DAVID BOWIE - The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars (1972) (8.55 million albums)
Notable songs: Starman (#65), Rock 'N' Roll Suicide, Ziggy Stardust, Suffragette City, Moonage Daydream, Five Years, Soul Love, Hang On To Yourself

Tim had it at #7. Rolling Stone had it at #35. How much do I like this album? I have three CDs of it in my car (yes, I still play CDs cuz I am older than dirt). As stated several times already, people will either like Bowie or mostly be turned off. The Let's Dance album sold more (10M copies), but this is his masterpiece. The fifth and final entry from the Thin White Duke.

#72 - PAUL MCCARTNEY & WINGS - Band On The Run (1973) (8.63 million albums)
Notable songs: Title Track (#1), Jet (#7), Helen Wheels (#10) (some versions), Mrs. Vanderbilt, Bluebird, Let Me Roll It, Nineteen Hundred And Eighty-Five

We continue the run of British rock nobility. Tim had this at #66. Rolling Stone had it at #418. The best-selling Sir Paul solo record by a wide margin (pretty much double any other). I remember a lot of these songs from when I was a kid. Still not The Beatles, but mostly pretty solid.

#71 - SUPERTRAMP - Crime Of The Century (1974) (8.72 million albums)
Notable songs: Bloody Well Right (#35), Dreamer, School, Title Track

I still can't name 10 Supertramp songs, but two of them I do know are on this album. That doesn't mean I don't like them, it only means I haven't had a ton of exposure to their full catalog. Regional sales: Europe (4.35 million), U.S. (1.93 million), Canada (1.53 million).

Next set we inch across the 9 million album level. We get back to a few American artists. And we do do do say goodbye to a couple of British bands.

Notable songs: Title Track (#3), Jealous Guy, Gimme Some Truth, Power To The People (expanded version), Happy Xmas (War Is Over) (expanded version)

The title track is Lennon's best known solo song . . . and it's charted on a singles chart somewhere in the world in 18 different years. I've heard it so often that the shine has mostly worn off for me, but it's great nonetheless. I still haven't really figured out what labels were thinking in releasing some songs as singles only and not on albums, but that applies here. Tim had it at #75. There was a 6-disc version of the album that came out a few years ago.

Notable songs: Start Me Up (#2), Waiting On A Friend (#13), Hang Fire (#20), Little T&A, Black Limousine, Slave, Worried About You

I remember Microsoft paid the Stones $10M to use Start Me Up in a commercial to launch Windows in 1995 (after R.E.M. passed on giving them the rights to It's The End Of The World As We Know It). From what I remember, the album was better received and got more airplay than Emotional Rescue. Given that the world had gone new wave / MTV crazy, surprised it sold this well.

#73 - DAVID BOWIE - The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars (1972) (8.55 million albums)
Notable songs: Starman (#65), Rock 'N' Roll Suicide, Ziggy Stardust, Suffragette City, Moonage Daydream, Five Years, Soul Love, Hang On To Yourself

Tim had it at #7. Rolling Stone had it at #35. How much do I like this album? I have three CDs of it in my car (yes, I still play CDs cuz I am older than dirt). As stated several times already, people will either like Bowie or mostly be turned off. The Let's Dance album sold more (10M copies), but this is his masterpiece. The fifth and final entry from the Thin White Duke.

Notable songs: Title Track (#1), Jet (#7), Helen Wheels (#10) (some versions), Mrs. Vanderbilt, Bluebird, Let Me Roll It, Nineteen Hundred And Eighty-Five

We continue the run of British rock nobility. Tim had this at #66. Rolling Stone had it at #418. The best-selling Sir Paul solo record by a wide margin (pretty much double any other). I remember a lot of these songs from when I was a kid. Still not The Beatles, but mostly pretty solid.

I still can't name 10 Supertramp songs, but two of them I do know are on this album. That doesn't mean I don't like them, it only means I haven't had a ton of exposure to their full catalog. Regional sales: Europe (4.35 million), U.S. (1.93 million), Canada (1.53 million).

Next set we inch across the 9 million album level. We get back to a few American artists. And we do do do say goodbye to a couple of British bands.
I'd rank 'em:

1. Paul. I'm not off of the grid saying I think this is his best album. The version with "Helen Wheels" takes it up a level, but it's fantastic in its original form.

2. Stones. I never need to hear "Start Me Up" again, but "waiting On A Friend" and "Little T&A" are both great songs.

3. John. The extended version(s) move this up a lot for me.

4. Ziggy. Not a big fan. "Suffragette" is great, but most of the rest leaves me cold.

5. Supertramp. This is a "me" problem and I'm not sure where it comes from given my heritage, but I have a hard time with artists that seem overtly "British" to me. I have the same issue with the Kinks (on some songs) and a ton of the punks (& their offspring like Frank Turner and DC Fontaines). Listening to these artists is like chewing on tin foil for me. The music is fine, but the singing style just drives me nuts.

Interesting back-to-back here. Solid songs on both albums IMO. I'm also one who had a pretty strong affinity for the band until around 1985-1986 or so, lost interest, and recently has been listening to them more often.

The British practice of releasing singles independently from albums continued well into Lennon's and McCartney's solo careers. Paul was still issuing them in the late '70s (for example, Goodnight Tonight). The US version of Band on the Run has Helen Wheels, released as a single prior to the album release, and the UK version doesn't -- because the US label wanted it on there against Paul's and the UK label's wishes.

Tattoo You got a sales boost and good reception IN PART because of MTV, which played the videos for Start Me Up, Waiting on a Friend and Hang Fire incessantly. So that album made the band many new fans. Funny thing is, it was hastily put together because they had booked a tour and their label wanted them to promote a new record for it. The songs are outtakes from previous sessions with new vocals by Jagger and Richards. The Start Me Up take they used was the only one done in a rock arrangement -- its other attempts were in a reggae arrangement.

Last edited:

I'd rank 'em:

1. Paul. I'm not off of the grid saying I think this is his best album. The version with "Helen Wheels" takes it up a level, but it's fantastic in its original form.

2. Stones. I never need to hear "Start Me Up" again, but "waiting On A Friend" and "Little T&A" are both great songs.

3. John. The extended version(s) move this up a lot for me.

4. Ziggy. Not a big fan. "Suffragette" is great, but most of the rest leaves me cold.

5. Supertramp. This is a "me" problem and I'm not sure where it comes from given my heritage, but I have a hard time with artists that seem overtly "British" to me. I have the same issue with the Kinks (on some songs) and a ton of the punks (& their offspring like Frank Turner and DC Fontaines). Listening to these artists is like chewing on tin foil for me. The music is fine, but the singing style just drives me nuts.
You hate British accents almost as much as Billy Joel. So noted. :laugh: Funny thing about Supertramp is that they moved to LA in the late '70s (after Crime of the Century but before Breakfast in America).

Tattoo You has three songs that are among my very favorites in the Stones catalog. Waiting on a Friend and Little T&A, like you mentioned, but also Slave.

You hate British accents almost as much as Billy Joel. So noted. :laugh: Funny thing about Supertramp is that they moved to LA in the late '70s (after Crime of the Century but before Breakfast in America).
I like to think I'm self-aware at this point in my life, but I can not understand my reluctance. Maybe a therapy tune-up is needed :lol:

I don't care when they moved to LA - they sound like the Limey-est of Limeys to me. Though, the music does sound more SoCal than UK.

I was too young (6 yo in 81) to truly enjoy this album. I remember the videos on MTV. But I have become a huge Colin Hay fan in the last couple of decades since his Man @ Work album came out. I will see him when he comes to town every few years, he plays some of the smaller venues and the guy just get it. He knows the assignment: play his few solo hits (Beautiful World, Waiting for My Real Life To Begin, I Just Don't Think I'll Ever Get Over You), play the hits from this album and Overkill and call it a day. He always seems to be having a good time and really enjoys being there. Not all one or two hit wonders that come through feel that way.

Tattoo You got a sales boost and good reception IN PART because of MTV, which played the videos for Start Me Up, Waiting on a Friend and Hang Fire incessantly.
The MTV videos for "Start Me Up" and "Hang Fire" were pretty forgettable -- just the band performing in an all-black studio, Mick Jagger mugging and prancing as he will.

"Waiting For a Friend" at least had a little story line and a more interesting setting which helped the video be a lot more memorable. I'd call that one the Stones' foothold in the MTV era.

Seems to me, also, that in the wake of the Tattoo You single releases, Mick Jagger himself became something of an MTV fixture -- and I would bet that kept the Stones more relevant than they otherwise might have been. I can immediately recall Jagger's "Undercover of the Night" and (urk) "Dancing In the Streets" videos. Jagger wearing Reeboks in the latter supposedly helped popularize that sneaker brand in the U.S.

I went to see Stevie Ray Vaughan on my 18th birthday out in California.I got a triple treat of Jimi covers in Little Wing, Voodoo Child (Slight Return), and Third Rock From The Sun, which combined clocked in at 30+ minutes. He absolutely tore the roof off.

I was a little older, but still towards the tops of my concert experiences. What an absolute talent and experience. You could tell he revered Jimi and all the older greats. I still listen to him at least once a month :crying:

"Waiting For a Friend" at least had a little story line and a more interesting setting which helped the video be a lot more memorable.
And as many know, the beginning of the video was filmed in front of an apartment building on St. Mark’s Place in Manhattan, with Keith greeting Peter Tosh on the steps. That same building facade is on the cover of Led Zep’s likely-soon-to-come Physical Graffiti album.

Last edited:

I'll deny it in a court of law, but I like some of the songs on Browne's record - especially the title track. "The Load Out/Stay" was recorded live at Merriweather Post Pavilion in Columbia, MD. I've been to a million concerts there, though I wasn't at this one.
It's ok. I'd admit it in a court of law. I had a discussion one day with a good friend of mine about Load Out/Stay vs. Turn the Page. He said the kids trying to be cool or "hip" back then were JB fan & liked Load Out. I actually like it better (which is what spawned the conversation).

I was too young (6 yo in 81) to truly enjoy this album. I remember the videos on MTV. But I have become a huge Colin Hay fan in the last couple of decades since his Man @ Work album came out. I will see him when he comes to town every few years, he plays some of the smaller venues and the guy just get it. He knows the assignment: play his few solo hits (Beautiful World, Waiting for My Real Life To Begin, I Just Don't Think I'll Ever Get Over You), play the hits from this album and Overkill and call it a day. He always seems to be having a good time and really enjoys being there. Not all one or two hit wonders that come through feel that way.
I was 14 or 15 then, and I was the prototypical demographic for MTV. We didn't have cable TV, and I literally called the cable company demanding that I wanted my MTV. The early days of MTV were great . . . you know, when they actually played videos. I had it on whenever I was home, and it was the coolest thing at the time. In today's vernacular, it would have been considered trending at school. Kids talked about videos all the time. I remember a classic rock station where I lived that did their annual Top 500 song count down, voted on by listeners. Who Can It Be Now came in 5th. They didn't really want to include it, but they did. IIRC, it was sandwiched between Hey Jude and Comfortably Numb or Purple Haze. Going out on a limb, but I would guess Men At Work would probably rank a little lower these days. Call it a hunch.

Tattoo You got a sales boost and good reception IN PART because of MTV, which played the videos for Start Me Up, Waiting on a Friend and Hang Fire incessantly.
The MTV videos for "Start Me Up" and "Hang Fire" were pretty forgettable -- just the band performing in an all-black studio, Mick Jagger mugging and prancing as he will.
None of that mattered. We would watch anything as long as it was on MTV.

I’ve mentioned in other threads, but my favorite videos were the plain vanilla ones where they merely showed the bands faux singing/playing. It was the only way to see them if you didn’t see them in concert or on the likes of American Bandstand, Solid Gold, Kirschner, Midnight Special, etc.

I’ve mentioned in other threads, but my favorite videos were the plain vanilla ones where they merely showed the bands faux singing/playing. It was the only way to see them if you didn’t see them in concert or on the likes of American Bandstand, Solid Gold, Kirschner, Midnight Special, etc.
Yep. And Kirschner and Midnight Special had ended by then, I think.

It's easy to forget that before cable exploded in the early '80s, it wasn't common to see musicians on TV, and when you did, it was usually the Perry Como types.

You're right -- I'm just looking on that time in retrospect.

It's easy to forget that before cable exploded in the early '80s, it wasn't common to see musicians on TV, and when you did, it was usually the Perry Como types.

I've often wondered if anyone we might today consider "cool" ever appeared on, say, Lawrence Welk?

Furthermore about seeing musicians on TV -- that was likely one of the big appeals of early Saturday Night Live, Ed Sullivan, 1970s variety programming, The Muppet Show, etc. Even late-night talk, though I'm not sure when around seeing the "hip and now" musicians started. You'd never see, say, The Police on Johnny Carson circa 1980 ... but maybe Kenny Loggins, Crystal Gayle, or Christopher Cross (who were at least a charting popular musicians)?

Did musicians play songs on Dick Cavett, Mike Douglas, and shows of that ilk? I'm thinking "no" on Cavett, but not positive.

I've often wondered if anyone we might today consider "cool" ever appeared on, say, Lawrence Welk?

Furthermore about seeing musicians on TV -- that was likely one of the big appeals of early Saturday Night Live, Ed Sullivan, 1970s variety programming, The Muppet Show, etc. Even late-night talk, though I'm not sure when around seeing the "hip and now" musicians started. You'd never see, say, The Police on Johnny Carson circa 1980 ... but maybe Kenny Loggins, Crystal Gayle, or Christopher Cross (who were at least a charting popular musicians)?

Did musicians play songs on **** Cavett, Mike Douglas, and shows of that ilk? I'm thinking "no" on Cavett, but not positive.
Joni Mitchell's TV appearance that made her unable to appear at Woodstock was on The **** Cavett Show. Janis Joplin also performed on it many times and she became friends with Cavett.

John Lennon and Yoko Ono guest-hosted for Mike Douglas at one point.

But those kinds of things were few and far between. SNL's launch was a huge deal not just for comedians but for musicians, because they booked acts that were otherwise rarely seen on network TV.

I suspect the talk show circuit started booking more "hip and now" musicians after the debut of Late Night with David Letterman, which had many of the popular acts of the '80s, whether from the pop, rock, R&B or "alternative" worlds. By Carson's final years, even The Tonight Show was booking "alternative" acts -- I remember seeing Screaming Trees on there.

I was 14 or 15 then, and I was the prototypical demographic for MTV. We didn't have cable TV, and I literally called the cable company demanding that I wanted my MTV. The early days of MTV were great . . . you know, when they actually played videos. I had it on whenever I was home, and it was the coolest thing at the time. In today's vernacular, it would have been considered trending at school. Kids talked about videos all the time. I remember a classic rock station where I lived that did their annual Top 500 song count down, voted on by listeners. Who Can It Be Now came in 5th. They didn't really want to include it, but they did. IIRC, it was sandwiched between Hey Jude and Comfortably Numb or Purple Haze. Going out on a limb, but I would guess Men At Work would probably rank a little lower these days. Call it a hunch.
We didn’t have cable either and I really liked Men at Work. It was not my normal music but it was different, interesting and fun. I still throw on their greatest hits album frequently.

Letterman had all manner of musical guests on including cool acts like Lou Reed, Edgar Winter, Warren Zevon and such. Don't think he ever had The Stones or other big acts though.
He did have Bob Dylan, though. Not that Bob cared.
Had a buddy go to a Dylan concert at Merriweather in the late 80's and to this day he Hates Dylan for that show. Said he mumbled his way through the whole thing and changed up songs so much you couldn't tell what he was singing unless he blurted out a tag line or chorus.

As a make up of sorts, same buddy went to see Dylan when he came through Baltimore of few years back and played at a smaller venue and this time did put on a more intimate show. Still Hates the Merriweather Bob though.

Letterman had all manner of musical guests on including cool acts like Lou Reed, Edgar Winter, Warren Zevon and such. Don't think he ever had The Stones or other big acts though.
Had a buddy go to a Dylan concert at Merriweather in the late 80's and to this day he Hates Dylan for that show. Said he mumbled his way through the whole thing and changed up songs so much you couldn't tell what he was singing unless he blurted out a tag line or chorus.

As a make up of sorts, same buddy went to see Dylan when he came through Baltimore of few years back and played at a smaller venue and this time did put on a more intimate show. Still Hates the Merriweather Bob though.
Bob never performs his songs in the way they appear on the records. The variable is whether he cares. When he doesn't, you get mumbly, incoherent performances like at your friend's Merriweather show or on the Letterman episode I linked. When he does, he's captivating. Luckily I've seen him four times and he's cared every time.

Bob never performs his songs in the way they appear on the records. The variable is whether he cares. When he doesn't, you get mumbly, incoherent performances like at your friend's Merriweather show or on the Letterman episode I linked. When he does, he's captivating. Luckily I've seen him four times and he's cared every time.
Yep, and this links back to the Springsteen thread where he is known to not only care everytime out but makes sure we, the ticket paying, appreciative public get our due for supporting his act. I put the Stones in the same category. Never heard anyone complain about a lazy or apathetic show by them either. Abd that attitude is probably more common than not in the industry.

Only performer on Bobs mercurial level is Morrissey. He once walked off a set at coachella because he smelled hamburgers cooking on the back stage grill. The wilting flower just couldn't bear it anymore and walked off.

#70 - THE POLICE - Zenyatta Modatta (1980) (8.82 million)
Notable songs: Don't Stand So Close To Me(#10), De Doo Doo Doo De Da Da Da (#10) Driven To Tears, Shadows In The Rain, When The World Is Running Down

We say auf wiedersehen to The Police. Not really sure how they went from touring in a station wagon and performing to a handful of people to selling millions of albums and playing stadiums and headlining festivals. I like all their albums. Synchronicity was beyond huge (20 million sold). Sting felt like the other guys were only studio musicians.

#69 - KISS - Alive! (1975) (9 million albums)
Notable songs: Rock And Roll All Nite (#12), Deuce, Strutter, Black Diamond

We also say adios to Kiss. Their first of 16 live albums. Kiss wasn't really that popular where I lived, and by the time I was in high school, no one I knew was into them. Their trademark makeup made them a boatload of money.

#68 - CREEDENCE CLEARWATER REVIVAL - Cosmo's Factory (1970) (9.03 million albums)
Notable songs: Travelin' Band / Who'll Stop The Rain (#2), Lookin' Out My Back Door / Long As I See The Light (#2), Up Around The Bend / Run Through The Jungle (#4)

Say goodbye to Creedence. I'm sensing a trend. Tim had it at #73. Probably the best CCR offering. It spent 9 weeks atop of the album charts in the U.S. Contains a cover of Bo Diddley's Before You Accuse Me, which Eric Clapton recorded almost exactly the same way 20 years later.

#67 - DEEP PURPLE - Machine Head (1972) (9.04 million albums)
Notable songs: Smoke On The Water (#4), Never Before, Lazy, Highway Star, Space Truckin

And now Deep Purple falls off the list. This album got played twice as much as all the other ones combined. The album hit #1 in 8 countries (#7 in the U.S.). It's my favorite DP album . . . would be interested to hear from others who think otherwise. Tim had it at #58.

#66 - THE JIMI HENDRIX EXPERIENCE - Are You Experienced (1967) (9.2 million)
Notable songs: Purple Haze (#65), Foxy Lady (#67), Hey Joe, Stone Free, The Wind Cries Mary, Manic Depression, Red House, Fire, 3rd Stone From The Sun, Title Track

We close out the set with another last album on the list. This one is chock full of both great music and popular songs. It's another one with different editions with different songs on each release. Jimi was a completely different sound compared to what else was popular at the time. Would have love to have gone to a show when he opened for The Monkees and the crowd was appalled. Tim had it at #38.

The next set features a double dose of rock royalty and will include the last few albums before we hit the 10 million mark.

Last edited:
Dave had U2 on for 5 shows in a row in the early 2000's when All That You Can't Leave Behind came out, which includes Beautiful Day. They played that, Crazy Tonight, Stuck In A Moment, and a couple of others. I also have heard they played songs after the show was over. And I believe U2 was the "house band" for a week in 2009. I think Dave is pretty close with U2, or with Bono at least.

Dave had U2 on for 5 shows in a row in the early 2000's when All That You Can't Leave Behind came out, which includes Beautiful Day. They played that, Crazy Tonight, Stuck In A Moment, and a couple of others. I also have heard they played songs after the show was over. And I believe U2 was the "house band" for a week in 2009. I think Dave is pretty close with U2, or with Bono at least.
Indeed, they did a documentary together last year and Bono and Edge made Letterman tear up when they came up with a song dedicated to him.

We also say adios to Kiss. Their first of 16 live albums. Kiss wasn't really that popular where I lived, and by the time I was in high school, no one I knew was into them. Their trademark makeup made them a boatload of money.
Circa 1977-78 ... little Doug B would go hang out with the kids next door. They had an older brother in high school ... and that dude's room was basically a KISS shrine. Those painted faces and those crazy outfits are some of my oldest memories of the wider world outside my home. Still remember the "ka-CHUNK" sound of the Alive 8-track switching 'programs'. None of the songs on the Alive 8-track were cut off in the middle, at least. That wouldn't be true of all of KISS's '70s output, which I'm sure we'll get to soon.

Circa 1977-78 ... little Doug B would go hang out with the kids next door. They had an older brother in high school ... and that dude's room was basically a KISS shrine. Those painted faces and those crazy outfits are some of my oldest memories of the wider world outside my home. Still remember the "ka-CHUNK" sound of the Alive 8-track switching 'programs'. None of the songs on the Alive 8-track were cut off in the middle, at least. That wouldn't be true of all of KISS's '70s output, which I'm sure we'll get to soon.
Nope. There are no more Kiss albums left.

Last edited:
#70 - THE POLICE - Zenyatta Modatta (1980) (8.82 million)
Notable songs: Don't Stand So Close To Me(#10), De Doo Doo Doo De Da Da Da (#10) Driven To Tears, Shadows In The Rain, When The World Is Running Down

We say auf wiedersehen to The Police. Not really sure how they went from touring in a station wagon and performing to a handful of people to selling millions of albums and playing stadiums and headlining festivals. I like all their albums. Synchronicity was beyond huge (20 million sold). Sting felt like the other guys were only studio musicians.

#68 - CREEDENCE CLEARWATER REVIVAL - Cosmo's Factory (1970) (9.03 million albums)
Notable songs: Travelin' Band / Who'll Stop The Rain (#2), Lookin' Out My Back Door / Long As I See The Light (#2), Up Around The Bend / Run Through The Jungle (#4)

Say goodbye to Creedence. I'm sensing a trend. Tim had it at #73. Probably the best CCR offering. It spent 9 weeks atop of the album charts in the U.S. Contains a cover of Bo Diddley's Before You Accuse Me, which Eric Clapton recorded almost exactly the same way 20 years later.

#67 - DEEP PURPLE - Machine Head (1972) (9.04 million albums)
Notable songs: Smoke On The Water (#4), Never Before, Lazy, Highway Star, Space Truckin

And now Deep Purple falls off the list. This album got played twice as much as all the other ones combined. The album hit #1 in 8 countries (#7 in the U.S.). It's my favorite DP album . . . would be interested to hear from others who think otherwise. Tim had it at #58.

#66 - THE JIMI HENDRIX EXPERIENCE - Are You Experienced (1967) (9.2 million)
Notable songs: Purple Haze (#65), Foxy Lady (#67), Hey Joe, Stone Free, The Wind Cries Mary, Manic Depression, Red House, Fire, 3rd Stone From The Sun, Title Track

We close out the set with another last album on the list. This one is chock full of both great music and popular songs. It's another one with different editions with different songs on each release. Jimi was a completely different sound compared to what else was popular at the time. Would have love to have gone to a show when he opened for The Monkees and the crowd was appalled. Tim had it at #38.

The next set features a double dose of rock royalty and will include the last few albums before we hit the 10 million mark.
The Police record is fine. I mentioned upthread that I'm not a worshipper, but they knew how to write hooks (most of the time) and perform them well.

KISS was huge when and where I grew up (Maryland in the 1970s). I wasn't their biggest fan, but my younger brother was bigly into them.

CCR's LPs run together for me so that I I can't recall which song is from which album. I guess that's what happens when an artist release 17,000 records in 3 years. All of their classic-period albums are worth the money, though they can get a little monotonous if you marathon them.

There are zero clunkers on Deep Purple's record. I had a guitarist friend tell me once that Blackmore's solo on "Smoke......" is so good not because it's so technically difficult to master, but because it fits into the song's melody so well. If you listen to a lot of guitar solos beginning in the 1980s, many of them sound like they were recorded for some other song. Eddie Van Halen started that crap (though he was so good, he could almost always bring it back around).

".........Experienced" is probably the greatest debut album in rock history. The sheer diversity done at such an elite level still blows my mind. I have to imagine every rock guitarist in the world wanted to quit when this dropped.

I have to imagine every rock guitarist in the world wanted to quit when this dropped.
I would think the opposite. I think there were a bunch of current and wanna be guitarists back then that wished they could play like Jimi. I'd have to go back and check release dates for other albums, but I don't recall any other groups or guitarists that had a style or a sound anywhere close to Hendrix's. Once Are You Experienced came along, there were a lot more guitar-heavy songs and albums across the next few years. I'm not a guitar player, so I don't know how complicated it is to play Jimi's licks 57 years later. He sure was an innovator back in the day.

I have to imagine every rock guitarist in the world wanted to quit when this dropped.
I would think the opposite. I think there were a bunch of current and wanna be guitarists back then that wished they could play like Jimi. I'd have to go back and check release dates for other albums, but I don't recall any other groups or guitarists that had a style or a sound anywhere close to Hendrix's. Once Are You Experienced came along, there were a lot more guitar-heavy songs and albums across the next few years. I'm not a guitar player, so I don't know how complicated it is to play Jimi's licks 57 years later. He sure was an innovator back in the day.
I didn't say they wanted to quit forever :lol: ,but Mike Bloomfield (who was as good as anyone at the time) said that Hendrix cowed him. I was guilty of hyperbole in my statement, but I bet Jimi humbled a bunch of dudes who thought they were first-in-class at the time.

Still remember the "ka-CHUNK" sound of the Alive 8-track switching 'programs'. None of the songs on the Alive 8-track were cut off in the middle, at least. That wouldn't be true of all of KISS's '70s output
The one redeeming "quality" of double albums on an 8 track cartridge was they could usually put one full side on each of the 4 tracks. Single LPs almost always had a clunk in the middle of one or more songs. But still no reverse ◀️

Users who are viewing this thread