What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Top 250 Best Selling Rock Albums (1967 - 1981) (3 Viewers)

#50 - BILLY JOEL - Glass Houses (1980) (11 million albums)
Notable songs: It's Still Rock And Roll To Me (#1), You May Be Right (#7), Don't Ask Me Why (#19), Sometimes A Fantasy (#36), All For Leyna, Sleeping With The Television On

LOVE the first side. The second side . . . not so much. Joel was big with the mainstream kids in high school. Pretty much the clean cut, rank and file, yuppy-ish types. I've seen Billy countless times, and I didn't really listen to his albums all that much. I made mix tapes and dropped the filler songs.

#49 - THE EAGLES - The Long Run (1979) (11.15 million albums)
Notable songs: Heartache Tonight (#1), Title Track (#8), I Can't Tell You Why (#8), In The City, Those Shoes, Disco Strangler, Teenage Jail, The Sad Cafe

Heartache was the last of their five #1 songs. This album has come up in other threads and has been strongly criticized. I recently played this one straight through after several years of not giving it a thought and still knew every lyric. This was smack dab in my wheelhouse when it was released. It's not as good as Hotel California but I still love it regardless.

#48 - THE ROLLING STONE - Some Girls (1978) (11.3 million albums)
Notable songs: Miss You (#1), Beast Of Burden (#8), Shattered (#31), Respectable, When The Whip Comes Down, Just My Imagination, Title Track

Tim had it at #79. I'm not sure this deserves to be the Stones best-selling album, but it has a lot of popular songs. I'll listen to any of the songs if they pop up somewhere. I never understood the fascination with Mick from women young enough to be his granddaughter. But it is what it is. Either way, we say sayanora to Mick and the boys. It ranked #78 on Tim's list.

#47 - QUEEN - A Night At The Opera (1975) (11.4 million albums)
Notable songs: (#2 . . . in 1991), You're My Best Friend (#16), Love Of My Life, I'm In Love With My Car, 39, Death On Two Legs

Bohemian Rhapsody charted higher from Wayne's World than it did initially upon its release (#9). I used to think Stairway To Heaven was the song I hear most on the radio, but with Bohemian Rhapsody having so many revivals (Live Aid, Freddie's passing, Wayne's World, the feature film) that it may have caught up. I still hear it all the time. Wave buh-bye to Queen. Tim had it at #16.

#46 - LED ZEPPELIN - In Through The Out Door (1979) (11.5 million albums)
Notable songs: Fool In The Rain (#21), All My Love, In The Evening, Carouselambra, Hot Dog, South Bound Saurez, I'm Gonna Crawl

The last studio album (unless we count the leftovers album Coda). For almost any other band, this would be their crowning achievement. But for Zep, it was just all right. Don't get me wrong, I do like it, but it's just not the same of their early stuff. Tim had this one at #98.

Up next, two American bands that shared a couple of band members . . . and three more British artists. No one should have any issues with the next set. There are some real head scratchers later on, but we don't need to get paranoid about them yet.
Let's start with #49 and work our way to #46...........

"In The City" is, by far, the best song on what is otherwise a putrid mess. I'd break up, too, if this slop was the best I could do.

Other than the misguided "Just My Imagination", this is a great album. "When The Whip Comes Down" is one of the Stones' all-time sleaze anthems.

Queen just could not put together a solid front-to-back album. They had incredible highs on almost all of them, but - my God - the lows......

Zep's LP is better than it has any right to be, and Jones should get 99% of the royalties from it for holding this thing together as long as he could.

#55 - AEROSMITH - Toys In The Attic (1975) (10.18 million albums)
Notable songs: Sweet Emotion (#36), Walk This Way, You See Me Crying, Big Ten Inch Record, Title Track, Helter Skelter (deluxe edition)

Tim had it at #63. Aerosmith leaves the countdown with an album that has two of their most popular songs. They actually had albums that outsold this one (Get A Grip 20M and Pump 10.5M). I don't personally know many Aerosmith fans (even though I live in Aerosmith country).

#54 - BOSTON - Don't Look Back (1978) (10.47 million albums)
Notable songs: Title Track (#4), A Man I'll Never Be (#31), Feelin' Satisfied (#46), Party, Don't Be Afraid, It's Easy

If we didn't have the first album from Boston, the second album would be viewed a lot differently. It eclipsed 1 million in album sales in 10 days. It also started a feud and legal issues between Tom Scholz and the record label, which led to an 8-year gap until the Third Stage album was released.

#53 - THE BEATLES - Magical Mystery Tour (1967) (10.6 million albums)
Notable songs: All You Need Is Love (#1), Hello Goodbye (#1), Penny Lane / Strawberry Fields Forever (#2), I Am The Walrus, Title Track, Your Mother Should Know, The Fool On The Hill, Baby You're A Rich Man

It's been so long since we had a Beatles album that I almost forgot about them. Tim had it at #25. Another one of The Beatles part new material / compilation of singles albums. It has a lot of classic tracks . . . surprised it didn't sell better.

#52 - BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN - Born To Run (1975) (10.7 million albums)
Notable songs: Title Track (#23), Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out (#83), Thunder Road, Jungleland, Backstreets, She's The One

Our last entry from The Boss. Tim had it at #12. To put things in perspective

Like David, I'm not a huge Springsteen fan. This is probably the one I'd choose if I had to listen to an entire album (though I think BITUSA
has more good songs).
I can't with BITUSA because of the production. It's so cheesy and has dated so badly.
Agreed, but the songs themselves are really good as Bruce finally learned to use obscure punctuation like something called "periods".

Notable songs: (#2 . . . in 1991), You're My Best Friend (#16), Love Of My Life, I'm In Love With My Car, 39, Death On Two Legs

Bohemian Rhapsody charted higher from Wayne's World than it did initially upon its release (#9). I used to think Stairway To Heaven was the song I hear most on the radio, but with Bohemian Rhapsody having so many revivals (Live Aid, Freddie's passing, Wayne's World, the feature film) that it may have caught up. I still hear it all the time. Wave buh-bye to Queen. Tim had it at #16.

Queen just could not put together a solid front-to-back album. They had incredible highs on almost all of them, but - my God - the lows......
I think you're spot on re: Queen albums - they tried to get too cutesy on each album. I would say ANATO is perhaps the one exception in that its immense highs make the lows (IMO "Lazing On a Sunday Afternoon" and "Seaside Rendezvous") seem trivial.

I doubt Dirty Deeds sold more than 100 copies in the US before Bon Scott died. It got a massive radio push after.
It didnt get released in North America until after Back in Black. It sold well because it came after Back in Black.
Yup - I remember buying the cassette tape of Dirty Deeds right after Back in Black exploded. Got it at Musicland for $7.99, give or take.
Was also super weird since everyone heard Brian J. on BinB and then they go and release something right after with a different singer (the deceased Bon), recorded 5 years prior. Record company wanted to cash in while they could awaiting the release of the next album (For Those About to Rock)
Speaking of Bon Scott, there's a biopic about him coming out next year:

I doubt Dirty Deeds sold more than 100 copies in the US before Bon Scott died. It got a massive radio push after.
It didnt get released in North America until after Back in Black. It sold well because it came after Back in Black.
Yup - I remember buying the cassette tape of Dirty Deeds right after Back in Black exploded. Got it at Musicland for $7.99, give or take.
Was also super weird since everyone heard Brian J. on BinB and then they go and release something right after with a different singer (the deceased Bon), recorded 5 years prior. Record company wanted to cash in while they could awaiting the release of the next album (For Those About to Rock)

What's more played out, biopic movies or Marvel movies?

What's more played out, biopic movies or Marvel movies?
Not sure but give me the cheesiest biopic over any of the Marvel movies.

#45 - JOURNEY - Escape (1981) (11.85 million albums)
Notable songs: Open Arms (#2), Who's Crying Now (#4), Don't Stop Believin' (#9), Still They Ride (#19), Title Track, Stone In Love, Keep On Runnin', Dead Or Alive, Mother Father, Lay It Down

This one is my favorite Journey album by a proverbial country mile. I like every song on it. Some people will say they sold out and went pop, but I think the non-hits are better and more rocking than the rest of the album. I always consider Open Arms as being in the Heavy Metal movie.

#44 - SANTANA - Abraxis (1970) (11.87 million albums)
Notable songs: Black Magic Woman / Gypsy Woman (#4), Oye Comoc Va (#13), Hope You're Feeling Better, Samba Pa Ti

Fitting that the last albums from Journey and Santana come in ranked next to each other. I would not have predicted Abraxas to be ranked this highly. It sold more than 6.5 million albums in the U.S., which was a lot more than I would have expected. Tim had it at #80.

#43 - THE BEATLES - Let It Be (1970) (11.9 million albums)
Notable songs: The Long And Winding Road (#1), Title Track (#1), Get Back (#1), Across The Universe, Two Of Us, I've Got A Feeling, For You Blue

Not my favorite Beatles album, but it still has a lot of great material on it. Tim had it ranked #35. I really like Get Back, Two Of Us, and I've Got A Feeling. The super duper extra deluxe and expensive version has 57 tracks on it.

#42 - BLACK SABBATH - Paranoid (1970) (12 million albums)
Notable songs: Iron Man (#52), Title Track (#61), War Pigs, Planet Caravan, Hand Of Doom, Rat Salad, Fairies Wear Boots

Tim had it at #23. It ranked #1 on Rolling Stone's Greatest Heavy Metal Albums of All Time list. This one will still rock your socks off over 50 years later. The title track was Sabbath's only Top 20 hit in the UK (hitting #4) on the British singles chart back in the day).

#41 - PINK FLOYD - Animals (1977) (12.15 million albums)
Notable songs: Dogs, Pigs, Sheep, Pigs On The Wing

My favorite PF album (and tour for that matter). There weren't any singles, the band was angry at the world, and the three 10+ minute tracks are musically some of their best work. DG finds another level. Of course, the toxic culture within the band and the rigors of touring led to The Wall. In a deserted island draft, I'd take this over any other Floyd album without hesitation. Good stuff.

I have all the albums in this group. Coming up, we say goodbye to Billy and Rod, and there's a double shot from Bob and Jim.

Notable songs: Open Arms (#2), Who's Crying Now (#4), Don't Stop Believin' (#9), Still They Ride (#19), Title Track, Stone In Love, Keep On Runnin', Dead Or Alive, Mother Father, Lay It Down

This one is my favorite Journey album by a proverbial country mile. I like every song on it. Some people will say they sold out and went pop, but I think the non-hits are better and more rocking than the rest of the album. I always consider Open Arms as being in the Heavy Metal movie.

Notable songs: Black Magic Woman / Gypsy Woman (#4), Oye Comoc Va (#13), Hope You're Feeling Better, Samba Pa Ti

Fitting that the last albums from Journey and Santana come in ranked next to each other. I would not have predicted Abraxas to be ranked this highly. It sold more than 6.5 million albums in the U.S., which was a lot more than I would have expected. Tim had it at #80.

Notable songs: The Long And Winding Road (#1), Title Track (#1), Get Back (#1), Across The Universe, Two Of Us, I've Got A Feeling, For You Blue

Not my favorite Beatles album, but it still has a lot of great material on it. Tim had it ranked #35. I really like Get Back, Two Of Us, and I've Got A Feeling. The super duper extra deluxe and expensive version has 57 tracks on it.

Notable songs: Iron Man (#52), Title Track (#61), War Pigs, Planet Caravan, Hand Of Doom, Rat Salad, Fairies Wear Boots

Tim had it at #23. It ranked #1 on Rolling Stone's Greatest Heavy Metal Albums of All Time list. This one will still rock your socks off over 50 years later. The title track was Sabbath's only Top 20 hit in the UK (hitting #4) on the British singles chart back in the day).

My favorite PF album (and tour for that matter). There weren't any singles, the band was angry at the world, and the three 10+ minute tracks are musically some of their best work. DG finds another level. Of course, the toxic culture within the band and the rigors of touring led to The Wall. In a deserted island draft, I'd take this over any other Floyd album without hesitation. Good stuff.

I have all the albums in this group. Coming up, we say goodbye to Billy and Rod, and there's a double shot from Bob and Jim.
That Journey album was everywhere in the early '80s. That's because it's really good. They didn't "sell out" (I hate that ****ing term) and the album deserved every single sale it got. I know someone will jump in here pimping whatever the band was doing in 1975 as being better. They will be wrong.

This is Santana's best, I think, top-to-bottom. I don't listen to whole albums much anymore (old man's ADHD?), but I could listen to this one easily.

Let It Be would be almost anyone else's best. It's not the Beatles', but it's still damned good.

"Planet Caravan" is the coolest song Sabbath ever made and it's on the best album they ever did.

Not a fan of Animals as a whole. Gets kind of boring for me, but there are some high points that are necessary if you're getting into PF.

Coming up, we say goodbye to Billy
God, I thought we were done. There's another?
Actually, there’s more than one. So you will
have to endure more torture.
%@^$^@$$@^$!!!!!! It never ends.

I'm actually in purgatory, right? I suppose I deserve it. And I'm not even Catholic.
That’s what happens to blasphemers with critical commentary on Animals.
Understood and accepted.

(Narrator: he actually held back on his criticism of Animals)

The first three Santana albums were a HUGE deal, and Abraxas was the most commercially successful of them thanks to Black Magic Woman/Gypsy Queen and Oye Como Va. They roped people (mostly fans of jazz and Latin music) into the rock audience that hadn't been there before.

Your three favorites from Let It Be are in my top four from that record, along with the title track. Don't Let Me Down should have been on there. Same with All Things Must Pass, but Paul was never happy with any of the ideas George had for it during the sessions.

Metal is more of a global phenomenon than some other forms of rock, and we see that in numbers for albums like Paranoid, which had by far the most US radio exposure of any Sabbath record.

Animals is my favorite Floyd album on most days, and Dogs is my favorite Floyd song on all days. This album is the best example of David Gilmour's brilliance as a guitarist.

I'm actually in purgatory, right? I suppose I deserve it. And I'm not even Catholic.
Understood and accepted.

Gotta admit, I'm a little bit confused...

Understood and accepted.

Gotta admit, I'm a little bit confused...
Me, too. Then I realized I responded wrongly to the wrong post. Comes with the territory in dealing with me, guys.

I think you're spot on re: Queen albums - they tried to get too cutesy on each album. I would say ANATO is perhaps the one exception in that its immense highs make the lows (IMO "Lazing On a Sunday Afternoon" and "Seaside Rendezvous") seem trivial.
What??? I love those two songs

That Journey album was everywhere in the early '80s. That's because it's really good. They didn't "sell out" (I hate that ****ing term) and the album deserved every single sale it got. I know someone will jump in here pimping whatever the band was doing in 1975 as being better. They will be wrong.
Peak Journey here, as we've discussed in this and other threads. @Pip's Invitation mentioned this before, to which I concurred, that their 1981 Houston concert in support of Escape (aired on AXS TV awhile back) was really impressive.

They're not that bad, but in terms of the rest of the album, I'd call them lows. Just my personal opinion though.

I think we've remarked before that your Queen fandom is such that you don't see certain tracks as "filler" that many others do.

This is Santana's best, I think, top-to-bottom. I don't listen to whole albums much anymore (old man's ADHD?), but I could listen to this one easily.

Let It Be would be almost anyone else's best. It's not the Beatles', but it's still damned good.

"Planet Caravan" is the coolest song Sabbath ever made and it's on the best album they ever did.

Not a fan of Animals as a whole. Gets kind of boring for me, but there are some high points that are necessary if you're getting into PF.

For sheer early 1980's-ness, there was even an Atari 2600 game attached to this album. I remember many a day at a kid's house who lived up the street playing it. Pretty sure you had to run all five band members one at a time through some dodge-em scenario. It was not the worst Atari 2600 game.

Advertisement photo

For sheer early 1980's-ness, there was even an Atari 2600 game attached to this album. I remember many a day at a kid's house who lived up the street playing it. Pretty sure you had to run all five band members one at a time through some dodge-em scenario. It was not the worst Atari 2600 game.

Advertisement photo
There was also an arcade style Journey game that came out in 1983. The music featured cheesy renditions of Journey songs. I remember playing it in high school. Not exactly cutting-edge graphics.

I think we've remarked before that your Queen fandom is such that you don't see certain tracks as "filler" that many others do.
They’re not filler.

Paul McCartney, Ray Davies, and Freddie Mercury were all huge fans of the British Music Hall, which had its heyday between 1890 and 1930 or so. It was their version of Vaudeville except that it had a distinctive musical style to it (Vaudeville music was mostly watered down ragtime.) Those two songs are fine examples of Freddie’s tribute to the genre, along with “Good Old Fadhioned Lover Boy” from Day At the Races and a few other songs.

Advertisement photo
There was also an arcade style Journey game that came out in 1983. The music featured cheesy renditions of Journey songs. I remember playing it in high school. Not exactly cutting-edge graphics.

I liked the B&W images of the members heads superimposed onto something like Mario's body. Good times!

They’re not filler.
Both could be true. Some people can appreciate the complexity of short or alternative sounding songs and consider them full and finished songs with the same amount of effort that went into them. Others that may consider Queen more of a rock band and less of a vaudeville act may find these songs a waste of time and won't listen to them (ie, they would call them filler).

Advertisement photo
Journey was the first band to be featured in an arcade game. I remember that being mentioned when the game was announced.

#40 - BILLY JOEL - 52nd Street (1978) (13.3 million albums)
Notable songs: My Life (#3), Big Shot (#14), Honesty (#24), Until The Night, Zanzibar, Stiletto

Joel won a Grammy for Album of the Year with 52nd Street. (He also won for Glass Houses.) As non-hits go, I like Zanzibar and Stiletto. I forget his biggest album is still yet to come.

#39 - LED ZEPPELIN - Physical Graffiti (1975) (13.4 million albums)
Notable songs: Trampled Under Foot (#38), Kashmir, Custard Pie, In My Time Of Dying, Houses Of The Holy, In The Light, Ten Years Gone, The Wanton Song, Sick Again, The Rover

The mighty, mighty Zeppelin will start making a lot of noise the rest of the way. A blend of leftovers from other albums that didn't make the final cut and new material. I probably could have listed even more tracks. Although not my favorite LZ, I play this one quite often. Love the riffs, the groove, and Bonzo's drumming. Tim ranked it at #13. Eight year old Anarchy thought The Wanton Song was about a Chinese soup.

#38 - LED ZEPPELIN - Led Zeppelin III (1970) (13.7 million albums)
Notable songs: Immigrant Song (#16), Gallows Pole, Since I've Been Loving You, Tangerine, Celebration Day, That's The Way, Out On The Tiles

Zep goes back-to-back, and I am surprised that this one outsold Physical Graffiti. IMO, not as many hits or popular tracks, mostly mellow, and not an album I would listen to over and over again. But 13 million people can't be wrong. Tim had it at #51.

#37 - ROD STEWART - Blondes Have More Fun (1978) (14 million albums)
Notable songs: Da Ya Think I'm Sexy (#1), Ain't Love A ***** (#22), Title Track, Standin' In The Shadows Of Love, Dirty Weekend

Apparently the general public thinks this album is better than those Led Zep albums. The world is messed up sometimes. Dirty Weekend is actually a decent song. But I believe I speak for all of us by saying goodbye to Rod (and don't come back).

#36 - CROSBY, STILLS, NASH & YOUNG - Deja Vu (1970) (14.6 million albums)
Notable songs: Woodstock (#11), Teach Your Children (#16), Our House (#30), Carry On, Almost Cut My Hair, Helpless, 4 + 20, Country Girl, Title Track

The last selection from CSNY (although Vegas odds suggest they aren't totally done). I was surprised it sold this much. Some really strong songs, but a little too mellow for my musical palate. Tim had this one ranked #59.

Up next, an album I never heard. I'm not kidding. As in, never, ever, ever heard of the album or the performer. And this time we actually do say goodbye to Billy (for real, this time).

Notable songs: My Life (#3), Big Shot (#14), Honesty (#24), Until The Night, Zanzibar, Stiletto

Joel won a Grammy for Album of the Year with 52nd Street. (He also won for Glass Houses.) As non-hits go, I like Zanzibar and Stiletto. I forget his biggest album is still yet to come.

Notable songs: Trampled Under Foot (#38), Kashmir, Custard Pie, In My Time Of Dying, Houses Of The Holy, In The Light, Ten Years Gone, The Wanton Song, Sick Again, The Rover

The mighty, mighty Zeppelin will start making a lot of noise the rest of the way. A blend of leftovers from other albums that didn't make the final cut and new material. I probably could have listed even more tracks. Although not my favorite LZ, I play this one quite often. Love the riffs, the groove, and Bonzo's drumming. Tim ranked it at #13. Eight year old Anarchy thought The Wanton Song was about a Chinese soup.

Notable songs: Immigrant Song (#16), Gallows Pole, Since I've Been Loving You, Tangerine, Celebration Day, That's The Way, Out On The Tiles

Zep goes back-to-back, and I am surprised that this one outsold Physical Graffiti. IMO, not as many hits or popular tracks, mostly mellow, and not an album I would listen to over and over again. But 13 million people can't be wrong. Tim had it at #51.

Notable songs: Da Ya Think I'm Sexy (#1), Ain't Love A ***** (#22), Title Track, Standin' In The Shadows Of Love, Dirty Weekend

Apparently the general public thinks this album is better than those Led Zep albums. The world is messed up sometimes. Dirty Weekend is actually a decent song. But I believe I speak for all of us by saying goodbye to Rod (and don't come back).

Notable songs: Woodstock (#11), Teach Your Children (#16), Our House (#30), Carry On, Almost Cut My Hair, Helpless, 4 + 20, Country Girl, Title Track

The last selection from CSNY (although Vegas odds suggest they aren't totally done). I was surprised it sold this much. Some really strong songs, but a little too mellow for my musical palate. Tim had this one ranked #59.

Up next, an album I never heard. I'm not kidding. As in, never, ever, ever heard of the album or the performer. And this time we actually do say goodbye to Billy (for real, this time).
Yeah, I'm not buying your "this is the last one, I swear" shtick anymore.

Physical Graffiti is like Exile to me - too much at once. "Trampled Underfoot" is the funkiest song they ever did. The album apparently gets the double-LP bonus for sales.

Zep III is really, really good. "Immigrant Song" is just a bludgeoning piece of rock.

I figured this Stewart album would show up. "....Sexy" was a monster hit.

Deja Vu has no weak spots. Willie's tunes are always the weak spot for me on these records (just too twee), though he's the only one of the bunch I'd ever care to meet.

I'd rank them:
III
Deja
PG
Blondes

#34T - JEFF WAYNE - Musical Version Of The War Of The Worlds (1978) (15 million albums)
Notable songs: Forever Autumn (#47), The Eve Of War

Never heard of this one. It only hit #94 on the album sales chart in the U.S. and sold 200,00 copies (but sold 2.7 million in the UK). Wayne only released 4 albums, and 3 of them are music from War of the Worlds. He wrote over 3,000 advertising jingles in the 70s in the U.K. and decided to record his version of War of the Worlds. He got Justin Hayward of the Moody Blues to sing, with additional appearances by David Essex, Phil Lynott (Thin Lizzy), Chris Thompson (Manfred Mann), Herbie Flowers (T-Rex), Ray Cooper (Elton John), and many other British musicians. Actor Richard Burton narrated the story. Listening to it 45 years later, it's actually kind of interesting. Raise your hand if you know anything about it.

#34T- DIRE STRAITS - Dire Straits (1978) (15 million albums)
Notable songs: Sultans Of Swing (#4), Water Of Love, Down To The Waterline, Setting Me Up, Southbound Again, Wild West End

Not my favorite Straits album, but Sultans of Swing was popular just about everywhere (Top 10 in at least 10 countries). I agree with people that suggest their sound / pace is too slow or that they don't have enough energy in many of their songs. But I love their up tempo songs, and Knoplfer knows how to play. Sold 3.2M in the U.S. and 5M in Europe. Last of the Straits.

#33- AC/DC - Highway To Hell (1970) (15.15 million albums)
Notable songs: Title Track (#47), Touch Too Much (#106), Girls Got Rhythm, Night Prowler, Shot Down In Flames, Walk All Over You, If You Want Blood

I love the title track and listen to it all the time. The rest of the album is solid and has some other rockers (but I don't do deep dives into AC/DC very often). Tim had it at #57.

#32 - BILLY JOEL - The Stranger (1977) (15.3 million albums)
Notable songs: Just The Way You Are (#3), Movin' Out (#17), She's Always A Woman (#17), Only The Good Die Young (#24), Scenes From An Italian Restaurant, Title Track, Vienna

I admit, I got this when it first came out (actually, a sibling got it for me). IMO, Billy's best effort from start to finish. I always enjoyed the reggae version of Only The Good Die Young (although Joel pretty much hates it). @Uruk-Hai should feel happier now that we are officially done with Billy. Tim had it at #45.

#31 - NEIL YOUNG - Harvest (1972) (15.32 million albums)
Notable songs: Heart Of Gold (#1), Old Man (#31), The Needle And The Damage Done, Out On The Weekend, Title Track, Are You Ready For The Country?

Heart Of Stone was Neil's top selling single by a large margin. Tim had it at #55. I will defer to the many Neil fans for their praise and adulation for this album, as I don't own it, nor do I think I have ever listened to the entire album before.

Next set, we say goodbye to an American hard rock staple, we see two more from Zeppelin, and there are two newbies to the countdown.

Last edited:
Notable songs: Just The Way You Are (#3), Movin' Out (#17), She's Always A Woman (#17), Only The Good Die Young (#24), Scenes From An Italian Restaurant, Title Track, Vienna
This is Billy's best work. Scenes From An Italian Restaurant, aka The Ballad of Brenda and Eddie, is the top song in his catalog IMO. Movin Out (Anthony's Song) is such a strong start to the album.

"You should never argue with a crazy mamamamamama you oughta know by now"

52nd Street was one of the first cassettes I possessed. My parents got it for me for Christmas or birthday (forget which) because I loved My Life so much. I was 7. I also remember my mom telling me that the album won the Grammy.

Deja Vu is a high point of the early 70s singer-songwriter movement. Everybody brought their A-game. I ranked Helpless #5 in my Neil countdown.

#34T - JEFF WAYNE - Musical Version Of The War Of The Worlds (1978) (15 million albums)

Never heard of this one. It only hit #94 on the album sales chart in the U.S. and sold 200,00 copies (but sold 2.7 million in the UK). Wayne only released 4 albums, and 3 of them are music from War of the Worlds. He wrote over 3,000 advertising jingles in the 70s in the U.K. and decided to record his version of War of the Worlds. He got Justin Hayward of the Moody Blues to sing, with additional appearances by David Essex, Phil Lynott (Thin Lizzy), Chris Thompson (Manfred Mann), Herbie Flowers (T-Rex), Ray Cooper (Elton John), and many other British musicians. Actor Richard Burton narrated the story. Listening to it 45 years later, it's actually kind of interesting. Raise your hand if you know anything about it.

Notable songs: Sultans Of Swing (#4), Water Of Love, Down To The Waterline, Setting Me Up, Southbound Again, Wild West End

Not my favorite Straits album, but Sultans of Swing was popular just about everywhere (Top 10 in at least 10 countries). I agree with people that suggest their sound / pace is too slow or that they don't have enough energy in many of their songs. But I love their up tempo songs, and Knoplfer knows how to play. Sold 3.2M in the U.S. and 5M in Europe. Last of the Straits.

Notable songs: Title Track (#47), Touch Too Much (#106), Girls Got Rhythm, Night Prowler, Shot Down In Flames, Walk All Over You, If You Want Blood

I love the title track and listen to it all the time. The rest of the album is solid and has some other rockers (but I don't do deep dives into AC/DC very often). Tim had it at #57.

I admit, I got this when it first came out (actually, a sibling got it for me). IMO, Billy's best effort from start to finish. I always enjoyed the reggae version of Only The Good Die Young (although Joel pretty much hates it). @Uruk-Hai should feel happier now that we are officially done with Billy. Tim had it at #45.

Notable songs: Heart Of Gold (#1), Old Man (#31), The Needle And The Damage Done, Out On The Weekend, Title Track, Are You Ready For The Country?

Heart Of Stone was Neil's top selling single by a large margin. Tim had it at #55. I will defer to the many Neil fans for their praise and adulation for this album, as I don't own it, nor do I think I have ever listened to the entire album before.

Next set, we say goodbye to an American hard rock staple, we see two more from Zeppelin, and there are two newbies to the countdown.
I've never heard of Jeff Wayne. And I can't imagine what commercial radio stations in 1978 would have played it enough for a single to chart, or for the album to move 200k copies.

The Dire Straits record is really good.

Highway To Hell and another AC/DC that's coming up represent a high water mark in hard rock record-making.

Harvest is a fine album. Neil famously ran it down (though I assume he cashed the checks from it), but there's a reason it's sold 15 million copies - it has good songs.

I've never heard of Jeff Wayne. And I can't imagine what commercial radio stations in 1978 would have played it enough for a single to chart, or for the album to move 200k copies.
That War of The Worlds one is even more surprising than the earlier Neil Diamond one. I must have missed something in 1978 when I was listening to Kiss, disco and top 40 radio. 15 million sales - where did that come from? I can understand if this was 1938 when that War of the Worlds radio broadcast by Orson Welles came out, but not this time.

That War of The Worlds one is even more surprising than the earlier Neil Diamond one. I must have missed something in 1978 when I was listening to Kiss, disco and top 40 radio. 15 million sales - where did that come from? I can understand if this was 1938 when that War of the Worlds radio broadcast by Orson Welles came out, but not this time.
Right? I was a radio freak in 1978 and I don't recall even knowing about this. All credit to him for moving 15 million copies. I'm just shocked.

Never heard of this one. It only hit #94 on the album sales chart in the U.S. and sold 200,00 copies (but sold 2.7 million in the UK). Wayne only released 4 albums, and 3 of them are music from War of the Worlds. He wrote over 3,000 advertising jingles in the 70s in the U.K. and decided to record his version of War of the Worlds. He got Justin Hayward of the Moody Blues to sing, with additional appearances by David Essex, Phil Lynott (Thin Lizzy), Chris Thompson (Manfred Mann), Herbie Flowers (T-Rex), Ray Cooper (Elton John), and many other British musicians. Actor Richard Burton narrated the story. Listening to it 45 years later, it's actually kind of interesting. Raise your hand if you know anything about it

The Dire Straits record is really good.

Highway To Hell and another AC/DC that's coming up represent a high water mark in hard rock record-making.

Harvest is a fine album. Neil famously ran it down (though I assume he cashed the checks from it), but there's a reason it's sold 15 million copies - it has good songs.

Hand raised
I remember once we did an album draft and i took this very high.
I made the mistake of assuming this was as big in the US as the rest of the world.
In Australia and the Uk, as well as several other parts in the rest of the world it was a monster hit that endured in the charts for years. It either was a smashing success or a flop where released.

This is one of the few records i have in at least 3 formats. At the time it was breathtaking and especially for those with a passing interest in sci-fi or the original HG Wells novel.

For those who like to partake in the herbal medicine, this is one of those albums that apparently is enhanced significantly by the reefer. Think Dark Side of the Moon
Listening to this now for the first time wont have the same impact as when it came out. It took Jeff Wayne over 2 decades to get the stage show he wanted for his music before he toured it to great success. He has toured it 7 times since to great success

The lead single is Forever Autumn by Justun Heyward of Moody Blues fame.
The Eve of War is a great piece that is often on those synth greatest sets despite being disco origin.
Phil Lynott of Thin Lizzy, David Essex and Julie Covington, all well known to theatre and music audiences in the Uk star as well as Richard Burton and his great oratory.

At over 90 minutes long, I can listen to this in one sitting and then repeat. Its a great story told with great music. If you are just checking for the first time the romance isnt there. Who knows?

Bay City Rollers
I wish. I was into them something fierce back in the day. As posted above, it's someone on the list already. Just surprised this album sold so much. There will be other WTF??? albums coming up, so maybe I am overselling this one as being out of place.
I think I had their first 8 albums. I can't tell you why . . . it just sort of happened. Shang-A-Lang, Bye Bye Baby, Saturday Night, Give A Little Love, I Only Wanna Be With You, Money Honey, You Made Me Believe In Magic. Loved, loved, loved them. I think the 30 years of therapy since then probably helped a lot. Also loved the band Sweet.
Funny you should mention both Bay City Rollers and the Sweet. Ive taken both in the MAD covers countdown.
Sweet with Peppermint Twist and Bay City Rollers with Bye Bye Baby.

Anyway, the point i want to make is that they both still tour with a hodgepodge of multiple lineups with original members of 1 or less using the name. I think there were 3 different bands calling themselves The Sweet at any one time and a couple calling themselves the Bay City Rollers

Users who are viewing this thread