What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Top 3 movies you love that no one else has seen (1 Viewer)

The Dreaded Marco said:
Metropolitan
Saw it. I bet she and I are the only ones in this thread who saw that flick.
Nope. I was going to list this one too. Love it, along with Barcelona and Last Days of Disco. A few other (relatively) obscure favorites:Lone StarLimboStrictly BallroomSecret Lives of DentistsCity of GodLiving In OblivionThe Daytrippers
I didn't like The Daytrippers. Living In Oblivion was pretty cool.

Living In Oblivion was pretty cool.
One of the best closing shots ever.
Remind me.
From what I remember, the opening shot of the movie shows some old guy sitting in the bar drinking during the day and it makes you wonder how he got to be the way he is. Then the whole movie is the Buscemi character trying to make something of himself and not succeeding, and the closing shot is him drinking in the bar, basically the same shot as the opening scene. At least that's what I remember. It's been a while since I've seen it and I'm very drunk right now.

i was going to put this in my honorable mention, & was shocked somebody else has actually seen this... it is obscure & i think OOP, but well worth checking out (i think the plot sounds like another OOP movie, which i haven't seen... harry belafonte's god, the flesh & the devil)...bring me the head of alfredo garcia another good call... love the lead actor... underrated peckinpaugh classic...

lost highway another good call (though i liked mulholland drive better)...

hard to boil it down to three, but after a little thought...

out of the past

red shoes

sorceror

more honorable mention...

if you like horror/comedy movies like toxic avenger... basket case & frankenhooker were by the same director (though not same director/troma team production as toxie)

black narcissus (powell/pressburger, same as red shoes... championed by scorcese)

baraka (same director as koyanasquatsi)

the valley obscured by clouds (killer pink floyd soundtrack, was probably on the midnight movie circuit for a while)

don't look now is a seriously creepy & disturbing horror movie... for reals... :hot:

the man who fell from earth (bowie was born to play this sci-fi vehicle)

gaudi (a documentary about the fantastic late 19th/early 20th? century spanish architect... fascinating)

solaris (the orginal by tarkovsky, not the clooney remake)

kiss me deadly

liquid sky (resists & defies easy description... has to be seen to be believed :) )

phantom tollbooth was a classic children's book made into a (mostly animated) movie with eddie munster (butch patrick?)...

Last edited by a moderator:
Living In Oblivion was pretty cool.
One of the best closing shots ever.
Remind me.
From what I remember, the opening shot of the movie shows some old guy sitting in the bar drinking during the day and it makes you wonder how he got to be the way he is. Then the whole movie is the Buscemi character trying to make something of himself and not succeeding, and the closing shot is him drinking in the bar, basically the same shot as the opening scene. At least that's what I remember. It's been a while since I've seen it and I'm very drunk right now.
I'm high, and I give a thumbs up to your anecdote.

I love a weird little movie called Crimewave. It was written and produced by Sam Raimi and the Coen brothers. I don't think I've ever met anyone else in person who's seen it. Anybody here seen it? You can get it thru Netflix. Probably considered a cult flick now.

Let's cut to the chase here...

Seen it

Seen it

Seen it

Seen it

Seen it

Yeah seen that one too

Seen it

Seen it

And that one too

Seen it

Not that one

Wait, yeah saw it too.

Seen it

Seen it

Seen it

Didn't see it but glad I didn't

Seen it

Seen it

Seen it

Aaaaannnd....seen it.

RudiStein said:
Let's cut to the chase here...Seen itSeen itSeen itSeen itSeen itYeah seen that one tooSeen itSeen itAnd that one tooSeen itNot that oneWait, yeah saw it too.Seen itSeen itSeen itDidn't see it but glad I didn'tSeen itSeen itSeen itAaaaannnd....seen it.
What'd you think of it?

RudiStein said:
Let's cut to the chase here...Seen itSeen itSeen itSeen itSeen itYeah seen that one tooSeen itSeen itAnd that one tooSeen itNot that oneWait, yeah saw it too.Seen itSeen itSeen itDidn't see it but glad I didn'tSeen itSeen itSeen itAaaaannnd....seen it.
You haven't seen mine.

A chinese torture chamber story.

I laughed. I cried. I almost threw up. The "ghost" inspired romantic scenes alone were worth seeking this out at amazon for 10 bucks.

la jetee

paris, texas

joe versus the volcano

i suppose some folks have seen joe vs. the volcano. not sure about the other 2.

Just remembered a recent one that I really enjoyed: Man Push Cart.
Definitely good if you're interested in those slow, documentary type movies. Not real entertaining, but very informative of a way of life I previously knew nothing about. I dig that in a movie :lmao:

Here's a list of films I like with under 2000 imdb ratings:

Wake In Fright

Small Town Murder Songs

Hara-Kiri: Death of a Samurai (the remake)

Curling

Atanarjuat: The Fast Runner - it has over 2000 ratings but I doubt many have seen a film that was written and acted in Inuktitut before.

And a bunch of documentaries:

Marwencol

Bombay Beach

Incident at Oglala

Resurrect Dead: The Mystery of the Toynbee Tiles

Last Train Home

Devil's Playground

Killer of Sheep

Stroszek

Celebrity
Love both of these, and I own Killer of Sheep. What is Celebrity? It sounds familiar but I can't think of what it is.Without putting much thought into this, my three are:

13 Tzameti

Yi-Yi

Kings and Queen
:hey: both of thoseDreamlife of Angels

Before the Rain

Heaven (Tykwer)
i love twyker but my fav from him is princess and the warrioranyone dig wong kar wai? chung king express is a goodie
:hot: In the Mood for Love and 2046 both good, too.
I can't remember much of it now, but when Fallen Angels came out, it was my favorite my movie for a long time.

The Lighthorsemen: (Great Aussie WWI flick--that charge on horseback--notice I didn't say "cavalry"--is magnificent.)

Lagaan: This isn't just your routine Bollywood period piece. It's a great movie of historical fiction--kind of the Rocky of cricket. Make sure that you're willing to read subtitles.

The Band's Visit: What happens when an Egyptian band is stranded in a Jewish settlement for awhile. Some poignant and funny stuff here. Oh, yeah...more subtitles.
Great choices on The Lighthorsemen and Lagaan... two personal faves, especially Lagaan! I will definitely have to check out The Band's Visit now...My three:

Three O'clock High Casey Siemaszko as a nerd-ish student who gets challenged to a fight with new student psychopath (Richard Tyson as Buddy Revell) and tries everything to avoid it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094138/combined

My Favorite Year Peter O'Toole as Alan Swann, a womanizing, boozing, past-his-prime movie star who is a guest star on a live sketch comedy show. He is the matinee idol of the star-struck main writer on the show and has to babysit him for the week after the show's star wants him booted off.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084370/combined

Kick ### More people than not may have seen this, but "Dave Lizewski is an unnoticed high school student and comic book fan who one day decides to become a super-hero, even though he has no powers, training or meaningful reason to do so." And strikes a chord when a vid of him standing up to three guys to protect another guy goes viral.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1250777/combined

And one OOP film...

Get Crazy A goofy comedy about a New Year's Eve show at a small, but iconic theater, is threatened by the schemes of a mega-developer who want to buy and demolish the theater.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085551/combined

Last edited by a moderator:
Sleepers - 1996- Kevin Bacon, Robert De Niro. After a prank goes disastrously wrong, a group of boys are sent to a detention center where they are brutalized; over 10 years later, they get their chance for revenge.
:thumbup: On boardI'll add - Idiocracy, Suicide Kings, and the Boondock Saints.

Would The Way of the Gun or Equilibrium count? Both sit firmly in my Top 10 and I can watch them over and over again without ever getting bored.

Not Indie films or 1/10th as obscure as most films in here, but I'd say the vast majority of people have never seen them.

Would The Way of the Gun or Equilibrium count? Both sit firmly in my Top 10 and I can watch them over and over again without ever getting bored.

Not Indie films or 1/10th as obscure as most films in here, but I'd say the vast majority of people have never seen them.
Seeing Sarah Silverman get KTFO was worth seeing Way of the Gun alone. Great flick. Equilibrium was AWESOME. The gun-kata was crazy and Bale knocked it out of the park.

Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead - Tom Stoppard directed version of his play (which is itself a version of Waiting for Godot) with Tim Roth, Gary Oldman and Richard Dreyfuss (plus the badass expatriate knight from GoT as possibly the worst Hamlet ever put to film). Closes with a favorite Pink Floyd song that would fit in the sing version of this thread

Sorceror - William Friedkin's remake of a French movie called Wages of Fear. Roy Scheider and a few other ex-patriates go on a dangerous trip into the jungles of Panama (I think) to find some o ld nitro glycerin in order to put out a raging oil fire.

Men At Work/Love and a .45 - Two "buddy" movies that have lots of camp and outrageous crime conspiracies. MaW is Emilio's directorial debut with him and brother/trainwreck Charlie as small town coastal California garbage men who stumble on a developer's murderous plot to dump toxic waste. Keith David plays a cop hating Vietnam vet. L&.45 is a meth fueled small town Texas cops and robbers and robbers and hitmen romp with a philosophical ex-con trying to go straight getting sucked into his speed freak buddy's mess that gets local crime lords and the cops (whose neice is a victim) on their tail. Not great movies, but fun.

'mad sweeney said:
Men At Work/Love and a .45 - Two "buddy" movies that have lots of camp and outrageous crime conspiracies. MaW is Emilio's directorial debut with him and brother/trainwreck Charlie as small town coastal California garbage men who stumble on a developer's murderous plot to dump toxic waste. Keith David plays a cop hating Vietnam vet. L&.45 is a meth fueled small town Texas cops and robbers and robbers and hitmen romp with a philosophical ex-con trying to go straight getting sucked into his speed freak buddy's mess that gets local crime lords and the cops (whose neice is a victim) on their tail. Not great movies, but fun.
:thumbup:

Blood In Blood Out (also known as Bound by Honor)

City of God (although I saw somebody else post this)

Maybe The Warriors or Gleaming the Cube, but these are more guilty pleasures than "top movies"

Lagaan: This isn't just your routine Bollywood period piece. It's a great movie of historical fiction--kind of the Rocky of cricket. Make sure that you're willing to read subtitles.
Really like this one. Was flipping channels one day in college or maybe just after and got hooked on it.I'll add:

The Spanish Prisoner

Nestor the Long-Eared Christmas Donkey (not really a movie, but whatever)

Ken Park (not really a movie that I love, but for shock value and "hard to get"-ness it gets some points)

I'm pretty sure some people have seen these, but . . .

Swimming With Sharks

Transsiberian

Dead Calm

I would have to give some thought to coming up with some more obscure ones.

Users who are viewing this thread