What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Top 5 Reasons You Can't Blame (1 Viewer)

Bobcat10

Footballguy
(for Cle-Balt move)Is Espn serious? Bartman I can understand (the Cubs still controlled their destiny), but Modell? At least Espn is not saying they are good reasons, although it has not aired yet. If anyone cares, it comes on in a half hour on the Deuce.

Last edited by a moderator:
I missed it. Anybody know what they were? I hate the guy either way, but I'd be interested to hear them.

5) Belicheck - Bad team/Cut Bernie Kosar4) Raiders and Colts - For moving first3) Indians - Rise of baseball took attention of football/left Municipal Std.2) Modell's Finances - Bad businessman who couldn't afford to stay in Cleveland1) City of Cleveland - Builing Rock Hall, Science Museum, Jacobs Field and Gund Arena while Art pleaded for new stadium

(for Cle-Balt move)

Is Espn serious? Bartman I can understand (the Cubs still controlled their destiny), but Modell? At least Espn is not saying they are good reasons, although it has not aired yet.

If anyone cares, it comes on in a half hour on the Deuce.
my reason:Its his team and he can do what he want. Seriously, why should he be BLAMED for conducting his business in the manner that he thinks is most profitable for him and his family???

(for Cle-Balt move)

Is Espn serious?  Bartman I can understand (the Cubs still controlled their destiny), but Modell?  At least Espn is not saying they are good reasons, although it has not aired yet. 

my reason:Its his team and he can do what he want. Seriously, why should he be BLAMED for conducting his business in the manner that he thinks is most profitable for him and his family???
I agree. His business, his choice. He leaves Cleveland and gets a ring. I'd say he made the right move.

As a Browns fan I blame him. It wasn't so much that he moved, but the way he dismantled the team before moving. He basically ripped the heart out of the Browns before he left. The flat out cut fan favorite Bernie Kosar. That really pissed a lot of people off. :boxing:

The flat out cut fan favorite Bernie Kosar. That really pissed a lot of people off.
It certainly did, but from a talent standpoint, it was the right move, wasn't it? Kosar was done.

It was't so much the fact of the move - everyone knew that Municipal Staudim sucked, and that it was last on the list for civic upgrades in Cleveland - it was the way it was handled, all secrecy & rumor until the press conference in Baltimore.And yes, we still wanted Bernie.

(for Cle-Balt move)

Is Espn serious? Bartman I can understand (the Cubs still controlled their destiny), but Modell? At least Espn is not saying they are good reasons, although it has not aired yet.

Maybe it was good for him, but I think it permanently altered the psyche of Cleveland sports fans.Before that disaster, Browns fans were a happy bunch, something akin to Packers fans. They embraced the Browns, sung songs about them, even created the Dawg Pound as a sign of affection. There was a love affair between the city and team. Now they are bitter and mean, apt to hurl beer bottles if things go wrong. Its very, very different. A browns fan today is more like a Philadelphia fan.

Last edited by a moderator:
2) Modell's Finances - Bad businessman who couldn't afford to stay in Cleveland
Art Modell will be known as the guy who fired Paul Brown and Bill Belichick.
He will be known as the man who invented Monday Night Football....Belichick wasn't very good in Cleveland

5) Belicheck - Bad team/Cut Bernie Kosar

4) Raiders and Colts - For moving first

3) Indians - Rise of baseball took attention of football/left Municipal Std.

1) City of Cleveland - Builing Rock Hall, Science Museum, Jacobs Field and Gund Arena while Art pleaded for new stadium
I was a little disappointed with this top 5 last night, although you know ESPN had to stretch it to not blame Modell.#5 - Fire the coach, don't move the team.

#4 - Only good reason in the top 5 that made sense. Precedence was set here. But it was funny to hear Modell rip on Al Davis (or/and Irsay) when they moved. What a two face scumbag.

#3 - Just proves Modell is a jealous man who can't run a business. Also see #1.

#2 - Again, he's an idiot. There are other ways to make money on top of 70000+ at every home game. Art obviously didn't plead enough if he didn't get a stadium. Does he really think if he threatened to move the people of Cleveland would not have demanded a stadium (and probably paid for most of it)?

#1 - If you think it was bad that the Browns had to play in Municipal, think about a baseball team playing in that stadium and the Cavaliers playing in the Richfield Coliseum. The Browns clearly had the "best home" out of those three franchises before Gateway. The Coliseum was not even near Cleveland, a good half hour drive from Gund at least.

My four cents.

:2cents: :2cents:

Of all people, Cleveland area native Martin Mull (Actor - Mr. Mom/Roseanne/Clue) had a pretty good line during this show. He said If it were Art Modell's Lincoln/Mercury Dealership that was offered a sweet deal by the City of Baltimore, no one would care. The fact is that it wasn't. Sports teams are larger than their owners. Especially in a football town like Cleveland. It doesn't matter what the reasoning for the move was (Modell's poor finances, no new stadium deal, etc,), he will always be blamed. He'll probably never see the Hall of Fame while he's alive either.

5) Belicheck - Bad team/Cut Bernie Kosar

4) Raiders and Colts - For moving first

3) Indians - Rise of baseball took attention of football/left Municipal Std.

1) City of Cleveland - Builing Rock Hall, Science Museum, Jacobs Field and Gund Arena while Art pleaded for new stadium
I was a little disappointed with this top 5 last night, although you know ESPN had to stretch it to not blame Modell.#5 - Fire the coach, don't move the team.

#4 - Only good reason in the top 5 that made sense. Precedence was set here. But it was funny to hear Modell rip on Al Davis (or/and Irsay) when they moved. What a two face scumbag.

#3 - Just proves Modell is a jealous man who can't run a business. Also see #1.

#2 - Again, he's an idiot. There are other ways to make money on top of 70000+ at every home game. Art obviously didn't plead enough if he didn't get a stadium. Does he really think if he threatened to move the people of Cleveland would not have demanded a stadium (and probably paid for most of it)?

#1 - If you think it was bad that the Browns had to play in Municipal, think about a baseball team playing in that stadium and the Cavaliers playing in the Richfield Coliseum. The Browns clearly had the "best home" out of those three franchises before Gateway. The Coliseum was not even near Cleveland, a good half hour drive from Gund at least.

My four cents.

:2cents: :2cents:
:goodposting: :thumbup:

Modell didn't want a new stadium as long as he had the Indians paying for half of the old stadium. He wanted to refurbish the old stadium.

The flat out cut fan favorite Bernie Kosar. That really pissed a lot of people off.
It certainly did, but from a talent standpoint, it was the right move, wasn't it? Kosar was done.
It was the way they were using players. They would try to make him roll out, which obviously wasn't going to work. They also tried to run Eric Metcalf between the tackles a lot which made no sense either.

I'm trying to think of some sort of analogy as to the "business" move that Modell made.I work for one of the largest insurers in the country. If there was a catastrophe in ten states, let's say, and the company just decided not to pay out to our customers because it would hurt the company too much financially, the company would have lawsuit after lawsuit AND probably would lose millions of their other customers based on their actions. Modell = company here, except he just has to live with himself instead of dealing with lawsuits, loss of customer base (b/c he just moved his), etc. Basically, he chose money over saving face. Good thing to teach your children (and David Modell isn't the brightest anyways). He could have sold the team, kept it in Cleveland, and stayed on as a small percentage owner getting all the frills that he wants. But he's above all that in his mind and now he has nothing but money and a ring (which he could have right now in Cleveland, we'll never know).Probably a horrible example and a bad post, but I just can't fathom how some people defend this guy, except Balt fans.How much did he even make when he sold the team that he would not have made in Cleveland?

I had no idea Modell was on the verge of bankruptcy and he had to take out a loan to give Andre Rison a 5 million dollar signing bonus...I guess that went up in smokes (literally, courtesy of one-eye Lopez).

It was the way they were using players. They would try to make him roll out, which obviously wasn't going to work. They also tried to run Eric Metcalf between the tackles a lot which made no sense either.
As much as I hate Art, Belichick had more to do with Kosar getting released than Modell did. As much as I was a fan of Kosar in Cleveland, he never did go on to be a starter. I think Belichick's assessment of Bernie's skills were fair. The situation was just handled poorly.

Kosar w/declining skills? - maybe.But to replace him with Interceptaverde? - That adds insult to injury.Also, there must have been a Modell factor at work - Belicheck (now widely regarded as a genius) coundn't win with this team.

For those of you in and around the Cleveland area...Art Modell will be on Cleveland radio this afternoon for the first time since 1995. He'll be on Mike Trivisonno's show (WTAM 1100am) at 5:30 today.

I like how Modell's close friend helped get the ball rolling on the whole move, the deal was signed on his jet, and then the NFL gives him the new franchise a few years later and the city of Cleveland thinks he is a hero.Lerner AND Modell pulled a fast one on the NFL and Cleveland and the suckers in the city bought it."Art, you take the team and leave, then I'll restart the team here and then we both have teams!"

I like how Modell's close friend helped get the ball rolling on the whole move, the deal was signed on his jet, and then the NFL gives him the new franchise a few years later and the city of Cleveland thinks he is a hero.

Lerner AND Modell pulled a fast one on the NFL and Cleveland and the suckers in the city bought it.

"Art, you take the team and leave, then I'll restart the team here and then we both have teams!"
Last time I checked, the fans have no say on who gets an NFL franchise.Get the facts straight before you spout this drivel.

I don't blame him at all. Cleveland is a dying city, and I'd move the Browns again if I ever happen to make/inherit a billion or two.

I don't blame him at all. Cleveland is a dying city, and I'd move the Browns again if I ever happen to make/inherit a billion or two.
:lmao: Can you imagine the fallout?

Well, we can cross you off the credible list.

Modell didn't want a new stadium as long as he had the Indians paying for half of the old stadium. He wanted to refurbish the old stadium.
:goodposting: Did he own the old stadium? Why not make your own renovations?

I have also heard that the city went to him and asked about making a new stadium. He would not own it, so he turned it down.

Then the city built the baseball.

They asked him again. Now he was upset at losing a tenant and said no.

City built Basketball arena. Again they asked, again he said no. Along came the Hall of Fame. And the city was out of money.

Modell moved.

Seriously, why should he be BLAMED for conducting his business in the manner that he thinks is most profitable for him and his family???
He's blamed by his customers in how he conducted his business. Every business is accountable to their customers. Even when they choose to make them former customers.If I chose to boot every member on this board, including those that loved the board and had never done anything remotely wrong and moved to another board where they could no longer have access, I'd have to deal with the blame there.

How much you cared about that would be totally dependent on how much you liked the product I took away from you.

He made a business decision and I fully understand that. I support his right fully to make his own decisions. But he's kidding himself if he thinks those decisions don't have consequences that sometimes last forever.

Maybe I care too much about what people think of me, but I would have sold the team to an owner that would've kept it in Cleveland 100 times over before I'd moved it to Baltimore. I don't know how much money he saved doing what he did but I don't think I could put a price on sticking a knife in the hearts of Browns fans like that.

J

Book

This book is a great one on the whole story.

It's a 50% - 50% split on blame between Modell and the City of Cleveland.

Users who are viewing this thread