What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Torrey Smith, WR, Baltimore Ravens (1 Viewer)

Not really Torrey's fault.

Reasons:

1. Ike Taylor

2. Not one of those six passes was catchable.

3. Flacco stinks (see above).

4. The offensive coordinator has absolutely zero imagination. God forbid you line him up in the slot, put him into motion, etc.

KY

Not really Torrey's fault.

Reasons:

1. Ike Taylor

2. Not one of those six passes was catchable.

3. Flacco stinks (see above).

4. The offensive coordinator has absolutely zero imagination. God forbid you line him up in the slot, put him into motion, etc.

KY
Completely agree with this, Cameron has got to go IMO.

Why don't they ever throw the ball to this guy on slants or crossing routes??? Seems like it's always a 15 to 20 yard out or just a deep fade.

:wall:

'SacramentoBob said:
I'd really like to get Lloyd at WR27 and I wouldn't mind waiting to WR36 to see how Rice can do with Flynn. I feel like Meachem at WR32 presents more upside, as well.
Ooooooof.
Seems like a necessary bump in a Torrey Smith thread. :rolleyes:
The guy is a tool bag. I've called him out a few times for constantly trolling so I guess he's getting me back by bumping my speculation from June as if I strictly followed it two months later...On topic, Torrey may have had a bad game, but he's still WR16 in my non-PPR leagues. Given where most of us probably landed him, we can't really complain. To put things in perspective, he's 0.20 points behind Welker and ahead of Dez, Wallace, Fitzgerald...

Why don't they ever throw the ball to this guy on slants or crossing routes??? Seems like it's always a 15 to 20 yard out or just a deep fade. :wall:
Bad OC and bad QB. If you throw a competent CB on him there is almost no chance of him having a good day. I wish his playoff schedule didn't look so enticing or else I'd feel comfortable with him riding the pine the rest of the season.

Why don't they ever throw the ball to this guy on slants or crossing routes??? Seems like it's always a 15 to 20 yard out or just a deep fade. :wall:
I remember seeing Smith run one of those routes earlier in the year. But he ended up scoring a touchdown on it. Back to the drawing board!

'SacramentoBob said:
I'd really like to get Lloyd at WR27 and I wouldn't mind waiting to WR36 to see how Rice can do with Flynn. I feel like Meachem at WR32 presents more upside, as well.
Ooooooof.
Seems like a necessary bump in a Torrey Smith thread. :rolleyes:
The guy is a tool bag. I've called him out a few times for constantly trolling so I guess he's getting me back by bumping my speculation from June as if I strictly followed it two months later...On topic, Torrey may have had a bad game, but he's still WR16 in my non-PPR leagues. Given where most of us probably landed him, we can't really complain. To put things in perspective, he's 0.20 points behind Welker and ahead of Dez, Wallace, Fitzgerald...
But it's the inconsistency that kills. If he scored 12 points every week then I'd start him every week.

Inconsistency is part of fantasy football. You just gotta hope that it evens out. This week Andre balanced him out for me. Looking for consistency in WRs is a fools errand. Too many moving parts. Any given week, a WR is one missed tackle or broken coverage away from exceeding expectations. That's not to say consistency can't be found, but it's not as consistent as one would hope. Miles Austin saw 12 targets this week and only put up 5.8 points for me. Reggie Wayne saw 18 and only put up 7.2 pts. Better than 0.7 points, but not by much. Didn't Smith only have 3 targets last week? I start him as my WR3 every week. Where you drafted him you probably have him as your WR3, so the occasional 0.7 pt performance isn't going to kill you, but his blow up weeks will win games for you.

'CurlyDumps said:
Was it me or was every target tonight thrown about 10 feet over Torrey's head?
Yeah, Fucco was awful. Elite level QB myass, he's the only one who believes it.Smith was setup perfect for a long TD on that deep post, but Flacco didn't lead him yet again.

'mr roboto said:
'CurlyDumps said:
This. I don't know if he has a problem with physical corners or if Flacco is hoping for a jump ball or PI.
I won't defend Flacco, but I think in the case of last night, once the Ravens got the lead, it seemed like Flacco's main goal was to not turn it over. It seems like the Ravens knew that with Leftwich hurt, turning the ball over was the only way they'd lose. So, when a DB had good coverage, he just heaved it way over Smith's head instead of taking a chance of it being picked.

'mr roboto said:
'CurlyDumps said:
This. I don't know if he has a problem with physical corners or if Flacco is hoping for a jump ball or PI.
I won't defend Flacco, but I think in the case of last night, once the Ravens got the lead, it seemed like Flacco's main goal was to not turn it over. It seems like the Ravens knew that with Leftwich hurt, turning the ball over was the only way they'd lose. So, when a DB had good coverage, he just heaved it way over Smith's head instead of taking a chance of it being picked.
If they felt confident with their lead against the Steelers, why did they keep passing? 32 passing attempts vs 22 rushing?

Both sucked. I think they don't trust flacco anymore and are calling in checkdown passes and screens. Think week before last was more aberration than comeback. Of course I dropped him so I'm biased.

Cause the running game was going nowhere?
Exactly. Plus, most of Flacco's throws later in the game were non-dangerous ones; he wasn't taking chances. Even on the 3rd down after the 2-minute warning, it is obvious that he was told to go down and take the sack if no one was open (so the clock would keep running).

Two seasons in a row now ... Flacco starts the season like a house afire, then comes back down to earth. Way down :shrug: Wonder if this guy will ever have the light go on for him a la Eli Manning? And thus help guys like Torrey Smith?

6 targets tonight and no grabs. Why do I continue to be sucked in by this guy?
hes great against soft secondaries... go check it out.
Sucked in againg and benched him for Golden Tate. I hate ff.... Should I bump this in the 'never bench your studs' thread?
He's not really a stud. Think most folks drafted him as a WR2 or WR3 (where I took him - 7th round) with upside. When you take that into consideration, he's had a decent year. Only one bad clunker, last week with Ike Taylor covering him. He had a few other weeks where he didn't do much but managed a TD or two.

7-14431 yarder in OT to setup the game winning FG
Shockingly that catch was a fade...
He had a 54 yarder earlier in the game in which he was a slight loss of footing away from taking a drag route to the house. Last year we was a one trick pony, this year he is running most of the routes. He showed great ball skills to adjust to the ball on that 31 yarder in OT- something we saw very little of last year when all he was good for was catching a bomb in stride. Since I mentioned deep balls, it is frustrating to see Flacco consistently underthrow him this year.

The analysis i did today shows that his best games are at home. his last four games hes averaged 16 fp/game at home *SS.

Last edited by a moderator:
He is tied for #16 WR in non-ppr after 3 months.

With players like JNelson, PHarvin, MAustin, SJohnson, SSmith, MWallace, Fitzgerald, DJackson and Bowe behind him.

That's a pretty fair return on investment.

The analysis i did today shows that his best games are at home. his last for games hes averaged 16 fp/game at home.
Did that analysis take into account Ike Taylor?
I just telling you what the numbers saying, obviously you cant say all cornerbacks are the same. What I took away from the @Pit game was that it was a close game and Flacco didnt want to risk throwing into bracket coverage. They new after the first half that they would win the game if they didnt screw up. if Pit can move the ball more this week expect baltimore to change to a more pass happy offense than last time. If I had to put a number on projections I would say 7-9 points, which is the lower range of what flacco and smith do at home. the washington and denver matchups the following 2 weeks don't look half bad either

The analysis i did today shows that his best games are at home. his last for games hes averaged 16 fp/game at home.
Did that analysis take into account Ike Taylor?
I just telling you what the numbers saying, obviously you cant say all cornerbacks are the same. What I took away from the @Pit game was that it was a close game and Flacco didnt want to risk throwing into bracket coverage. They new after the first half that they would win the game if they didnt screw up. if Pit can move the ball more this week expect baltimore to change to a more pass happy offense than last time. If I had to put a number on projections I would say 7-9 points, which is the lower range of what flacco and smith do at home. the washington and denver matchups the following 2 weeks don't look half bad either
Completely agree with this analysis.All things being equal, the stupid OC will be safe vs. sorry...which will hurt Smith. Especially against Pit and Ike Taylor. Understanding that Pit's either going with an ineffective Batch or a banged up Ben, I'd say the odds that Baltimore's offense plays it conservative is high.Not good for T. Smith. I'm benching him.KY

Early cheatsheets here have him as a low #2 WR this week. I'm wondering why he's ranked that high? I don't set my starters based on FBG cheatsheets but I do take notice when they have a player ranked much higher than I would have thought. Based on Smith's last outing vs. Ike Taylor, I would have figured he'd be buried in the 40's for WR's this week.

The Ravens have scored 184 points in 5 home games - 37 ppg. They've scored 99 points in 6 road games - 16.5 ppg.

They run the no-huddle at home extensively and rack up huge points. They've pretty much completely stopped using it on the road, and actually used it for 0 snaps at San Diego last week.

Nobody's sure exactly why, though I think the O Line's inability to figure out protections when faced with crowd noise seems to be part of it. Not that there was a ton of noise at San Diego last week.

I doubt the Ravens match their home scoring average this week, though they did put up 35 at home vs. Pittsburgh last year, but I would expect Smith to be a decent WR2 even against the Steelers.

It "feels" like T.Smith has done worse than he had, but that is due to his low reception total thus far.

His nearly 18ypc and 7 touchdowns have helped mask the reception totals.

Like most wrs, his worst games have happened when he has been targeted few times.

In games where T.Smith was targeted 5 targets or less:

2 for 57, 2 for 51, 3 for 38, 2 for 24 and 1 td...

Watching a few of the ravens' games, it does not seem like T.Smith is option A of the offense. In fact, it seems like the Ravens lack an offensive identity (especially on the road).

It seems to me that T.Smith will be one of those guys that can be value (again?) next year because his stats are not a bad as it may feel.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Ravens have scored 184 points in 5 home games - 37 ppg. They've scored 99 points in 6 road games - 16.5 ppg.They run the no-huddle at home extensively and rack up huge points. They've pretty much completely stopped using it on the road, and actually used it for 0 snaps at San Diego last week.Nobody's sure exactly why, though I think the O Line's inability to figure out protections when faced with crowd noise seems to be part of it. Not that there was a ton of noise at San Diego last week.I doubt the Ravens match their home scoring average this week, though they did put up 35 at home vs. Pittsburgh last year, but I would expect Smith to be a decent WR2 even against the Steelers.
I really don't see it.Pit is #1 vs. WRs.Ike will be on T. Smith.They had a guy run underneath all his routes previously. Result: Flacco airmailing everything.If I had confidence that their offensive strategists would actually do something clever with Smith I'd think about starting him.If Big Ben is out they will be risk averse and just try and grind out a win. Rice, Rice, Rice.KY

The Ravens have scored 184 points in 5 home games - 37 ppg. They've scored 99 points in 6 road games - 16.5 ppg.They run the no-huddle at home extensively and rack up huge points. They've pretty much completely stopped using it on the road, and actually used it for 0 snaps at San Diego last week.Nobody's sure exactly why, though I think the O Line's inability to figure out protections when faced with crowd noise seems to be part of it. Not that there was a ton of noise at San Diego last week.I doubt the Ravens match their home scoring average this week, though they did put up 35 at home vs. Pittsburgh last year, but I would expect Smith to be a decent WR2 even against the Steelers.
I really don't see it.Pit is #1 vs. WRs.Ike will be on T. Smith.They had a guy run underneath all his routes previously. Result: Flacco airmailing everything.If I had confidence that their offensive strategists would actually do something clever with Smith I'd think about starting him.If Big Ben is out they will be risk averse and just try and grind out a win. Rice, Rice, Rice.KY
This is pretty much my feelings about Torrey this week as well. I'm very surprised to say the least at how high some of the experts have him this week.

This is pretty much my feelings about Torrey this week as well. I'm very surprised to say the least at how high some of the experts have him this week.
I will contend that it's folly to assume that whatever happened in the 1st game of a divisional rivalry will happen again in the rematch.

Users who are viewing this thread