What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Trainee filed complaint with management. Made up story about me creating 'hostile work environment.' People asking for a condensed thread title. Le (1 Viewer)

That first letter doesn't get the meat of the situation until the big paragraph 2-3 paragraphs down. anything above that should not be put in writing. Ride this thing out and don't put anything in writing. 

Still have no idea what's happening in here. 
Unless ren is completely blowing smoke, this is the deal:

Completely overwhelmed and unqualified new hire is brought on at ren's work. Ren is training new hire on her new position. New hire is pretty obviously out of her depth. New hire also has a bad attitude about her job and shows signs of being there for the wrong reasons (e.g. less to give an honest effort at performing her job, and more to exploit the apparently generous employee health package). New hire is now pretty much lying to HR to sink ren professionally.

I understand ren hoek's political stances aren't popular ... but if the OP is taken at face value (can't stress that enough ... the big "if"), ren seems to be almost 100% in the right here. Surely most all of us have seen or even personally dealt with employees like the new hire described in the OP.

one thing you could do is just run away whenever she gets near you and sing and i rraaaaaaan i ran so far away by flock of seagulls not only will she get the hint but everyone on the floor who is a flock fan will rock out and thats not a bad thing take that to the bank bromigo

This woman was hired on to work a technical position.  Former hairdresser.  I'd been tasked with training her for it.  She's wildly unprofessional, can't take criticism and has been a complete liability from the second the manager hired her without our input, and I'm the one getting #### on for it, but other than that she's an ok person.  Today she forgot to enter in a patient history on the computer and asked me 'well why wasn't there a patient history?'  I said, "because you didn't put one there."  That's when she stormed out saying 'I'm gonna talk to personnel,' muttered something about 'gonna snap.'  Here's a brief rundown and statement I'm thinking about turning in tomorrow.  

I'd really rather not give up too much about personal details and line of work.  So there's some redacted stuff here.  But really appreciate the advice (or failing that, piping hot takes).

I'm a total poopyhead on here of course, but I'm generally pretty easy in real life.  What do I do going forward?
You're basically confirming her allegations with this.

Unless ren is completely blowing smoke, this is the deal:

Completely overwhelmed and unqualified new hire is brought on at ren's work. Ren is training new hire on her new position. New hire is pretty obviously out of her depth. New hire also has a bad attitude about her job and shows signs of being there for the wrong reasons (e.g. less to give an honest effort at performing her job, and more to exploit the apparently generous employee health package). New hire is now pretty much lying to HR to sink ren professionally.

I understand ren hoek's political stances aren't popular ... but if the OP is taken at face value (can't stress that enough ... the big "if"), ren seems to be almost 100% in the right here. Surely most all of us have seen or even personally dealt with employees like the new hire described in the OP.
This is pretty much the beginning and end of it.

Politics aside I'm guessing just about anyone put in this situation would get incredibly frustrated under the same circumstances.  

I'm guessing just about anyone put in this situation would get incredibly frustrated under the same circumstances.  
Any chance whatsoever that the new hire would've been able to tell that you were frustrated with her? How buttoned-up and professional have you been with her?

I never felt comfortable continuing to invest time in her as a tech after she came back from the fall.  She was a liability already and even if training went pitch perfect after that, it was still just a matter of humoring the training process for 90 days until she gets insurance and goes in for gastrointestinal surgery.  Then foot surgery after that.  She would disappear a lot and be on the phone in the other doctor's office and I didn't think much of it, but there were a lot of instances where I had to ask around 'where's Jeanine?'  

The person who broke her fall, a 60-year old lady, suggested she may have been faking it and wouldn't save her again.  New hire is 300 pounds and it hurt the front desk lady's back to ease the fall.  Now I don't know if that's true or not but she looked at me like she meant it.  

When trainee was in the hospital, she would call in periodically to update us on her status.  Every day you miss is a mark on attendance, once you have so many the company automatically starts considering termination for the employee.  The manager told her she couldn't return without a doctor's note giving permission for her to work without restrictions.  And I think he intentionally left her on the schedule so she would accrue the 3 or 4 points she did.  We all think she's a problem and the only person who didn't see it coming a mile away is the manager.  And me apparently.  

I think there's a line to be drawn between saying something threatening like 'you wanna flip burgers at 41?', and telling her she's not doing something right and she needs to do it better.  I don't know if an impatient tone of voice constitutes a hostile work environment.  I sure hope not.  

The average high schooler has a better outlook and work ethic than she does. We needed someone sophisticated and technical and she just isn't a good fit.  Like I said I've trained many people for precisely this line of work time and again no problem.  The whole thing is just total baloney.  

ren,

You seem like a good dude and my interactions with you have been nothing but positive. I also think you constantly exhibit patience and thoughtfulness on the boards; if they're any indication of real life, you're in the right here and I wish you well.

Did you know her age?  If not, I would specifically state that there is no way you could have made that statement as you didn't know her age (until she mentioned it in the complaint).

I'm sure I'm missing a lot, but if you still haven't given your statement, I'd edit it down a good bit. 

It's fine to mention that you perceived that she was having difficulty with the training and may not have decided whether she was invested in the job.  And you can certainly explain that you shared your fast food experience as a way to try to help her commit to the job.  You can admit that your frustration with her performance may have sometimes been evident but that you took your responsibility to help her succeed in the job seriously and you certainly were not trying to create a hostile environment.  It probably needn't be more than 2-3 paragraphs.

All the detail about how she sucks just makes it look more personal.  It invites an endless game of "he said/she said."  I see no profit in it. 

Better stay FAR away from telling management that you think she may be milking her injury or that she's only interested in the job for the health insurance coverage of immediate medical procedures.

This is a gentle reminder for any of you out there that hires people. 

Get references!

Multiple interviews! Make sure to cover the "soft skills" aka is this person a loser, lazy, can they work well with others.

swc should put out a series of HR training manuals - take it to the bank.

As for ren's situation I don't know if I have any good advice though I agree with others that aggressively delivering your side unasked is probably bad.

-QG

This woman was hired on to work a technical position.  Former hairdresser.  I'd been tasked with training her for it.  She's wildly unprofessional, can't take criticism and has been a complete liability from the second the manager hired her without our input, and I'm the one getting #### on for it, but other than that she's an ok person.  Today she forgot to enter in a patient history on the computer and asked me 'well why wasn't there a patient history?'  I said, "because you didn't put one there."  That's when she stormed out saying 'I'm gonna talk to personnel,' muttered something about 'gonna snap.'  Here's a brief rundown and statement I'm thinking about turning in tomorrow.  

I'd really rather not give up too much about personal details and line of work.  So there's some redacted stuff here.  But really appreciate the advice (or failing that, piping hot takes).

I'm a total poopyhead on here of course, but I'm generally pretty easy in real life.  What do I do going forward?
Should have more blanks so we can Mad-Lib it. 

Cause according to me,  she's having trouble functioning on the weiner machine. 

Last edited by a moderator:
SWC said:
maybe blast her with some of your patented deep state conspiracy theories about using pizza made in a hidden basement to assasinate julian asange and blow her mind up then she will probably go on disability due to her blown up mind and your issues will be solved bam another problem solved by the old swcer take that to the bank brochacho 
Take that to the pizza basement brozzarella

ren hoek said:
I never felt comfortable continuing to invest time in her as a tech after she came back from the fall.  She was a liability already and even if training went pitch perfect after that, it was still just a matter of humoring the training process for 90 days until she gets insurance and goes in for gastrointestinal surgery.  Then foot surgery after that.  She would disappear a lot and be on the phone in the other doctor's office and I didn't think much of it, but there were a lot of instances where I had to ask around 'where's Jeanine?'  

The person who broke her fall, a 60-year old lady, suggested she may have been faking it and wouldn't save her again.  New hire is 300 pounds and it hurt the front desk lady's back to ease the fall.  Now I don't know if that's true or not but she looked at me like she meant it.  

When trainee was in the hospital, she would call in periodically to update us on her status.  Every day you miss is a mark on attendance, once you have so many the company automatically starts considering termination for the employee.  The manager told her she couldn't return without a doctor's note giving permission for her to work without restrictions.  And I think he intentionally left her on the schedule so she would accrue the 3 or 4 points she did.  We all think she's a problem and the only person who didn't see it coming a mile away is the manager.  And me apparently.  

I think there's a line to be drawn between saying something threatening like 'you wanna flip burgers at 41?', and telling her she's not doing something right and she needs to do it better.  I don't know if an impatient tone of voice constitutes a hostile work environment.  I sure hope not.  

The average high schooler has a better outlook and work ethic than she does. We needed someone sophisticated and technical and she just isn't a good fit.  Like I said I've trained many people for precisely this line of work time and again no problem.  The whole thing is just total baloney.  
Torque Bow down?

i have noticed that you are way in to conspiracy theories around here and now with this new hire you have conspiracies that she faked her fall and that she was going to go get two surgeries immediately after 90 days on the job man maybe just simmer down a little with trying to figure out everyones nofarieous purposes take that to the bank brohan 

Doug B said:
Any chance whatsoever that the new hire would've been able to tell that you were frustrated with her? How buttoned-up and professional have you been with her?
It wouldn't have been hard to figure out I was past the handholding phase.  I'd say it was about week 3 and she's still fumbling around with very basic stuff.  She had mentioned before that she doesn't respond to my teaching style.  I think a more scholarly person that took a genuine interest in the trade would have found it helpful if a little demanding.  For a passing pedestrian with no technical knowledge, predisposition for machinery and computers, or apparent desire to actually learn the job she was being trained for, I think it could be overwhelming.  I'd say I was fair on things she had rightful questions about, but impatient when I had to rehash extremely basic concepts with her.  

But that's who I am.  I went to great lengths to teach her things the best way I knew how.  On some level I probably did fail to be as patient with her as I could have.  It's a sink or swim thing, and at a certain point, especially a month in, she needs to be competent and understand the things she's been shown over and over again.  I don't get to choose the doctor's exhaustive schedule and massive waiting room when things don't run well.  I didn't choose to hire someone that was unfit for the job.  I couldn't hold out hope forever.  Checked out mentally a long time ago.  We all did. 

The doctor rejoiced yesterday that she was gone.  Another coworker today told me she thinks it's just a personality clash.  They respect and appreciate me but don't hold any grudge against Jeanine either.  At this point I probably just let the chips fall where they may and keep my head down.  

Has anybody higher up even asked you to comment about trainee complaining about you?

It sounds like everyone knows she's a problem and they aren't even putting any weight (pun intended) into her #####ing. They know she's blowing smoke. 

Dont be so defensive. You've done nothing wrong. You're the long-term employee who has a good track record and was asked to train this unqualified person. 

If you get asked for your opinion keep it professional and performance based (hers). Only verbally. This isn't about you. 

Has anybody higher up even asked you to comment about trainee complaining about you?

It sounds like everyone knows she's a problem and they aren't even putting any weight (pun intended) into her #####ing. They know she's blowing smoke. 

Dont be so defensive. You've done nothing wrong. You're the long-term employee who has a good track record and was asked to train this unqualified person. 

If you get asked for your opinion keep it professional and performance based (hers). Only verbally. This isn't about you. 
Nope, they sure haven't.  I thought it would be savvy to submit a statement as soon as I heard about it.  Almost handed it in a manila folder to the manager yesterday, but figured I'd get some advice here first.  Gf and doctor both thought it was fair enough to turn in.  

Of course, I didn't and probably won't going forward.  What a mess.  

i have noticed that you are way in to conspiracy theories around here and now with this new hire you have conspiracies that she faked her fall and that she was going to go get two surgeries immediately after 90 days on the job man maybe just simmer down a little with trying to figure out everyones nofarieous purposes take that to the bank brohan 
Even if he's right, he will look very, very bad by saying it.

Even if he's right, he will look very, very bad by saying it.
he could get a new suit and a haircut maybe trim any stray ear or nose hairs and then bam he might look damn good saying it look im just sayin that you never know how someone is gonna clean up take that to the bank brohan 

he could get a new suit and a haircut maybe trim any stray ear or nose hairs and then bam he might look damn good saying it look im just sayin that you never know how someone is gonna clean up take that to the bank brohan 
:lol:

Thanks SWC!

I always wonder what these threads would look like it written by the person on the other side.  You just know it's never quite as clear-cut as presented here.  

Way way way too long. Way.

If that much detail is necessary to describe the situation, the email should succinctly note that there appears to be an issue you need to discuss with the recipient of the email and that you'll provide the details at the time of the meeting.

i just had another breakthrough on this the next time that she comes over by you for more training just start jumping and spinning around and tell her you are sorry for being so mean before  but you are working on training for the olympics and you are stressed out because you need to learn how to land a triple sow cow and then just sashay up and down the hall landing one sow cow after the next and not only will she understand and withdraw her employment claim against you she will respect you and hey on the plus side you will become an amazing figure skater take that to the bank bromigo 

The doctor rejoiced yesterday that she was gone.  Another coworker today told me she thinks it's just a personality clash.  They respect and appreciate me but don't hold any grudge against Jeanine either.  At this point I probably just let the chips fall where they may and keep my head down.  
Wait - she's not really gone, is she? If she is, your OP would be merely academic, wouldn't it?

Wait - she's not really gone, is she? If she is, your OP would be merely academic, wouldn't it?
Oh, sorry.  She's been reassigned to a retail position, but is still with the company.  It's separate but under the same umbrella.  

Users who are viewing this thread