What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Trent Richardson (1 Viewer)

Leave it to Cleveland to screw this up. Next thing you know the Clowns will be saying he might need amputation of the lower leg, or he needs surgery for a clubbed foot.

Leave it to Cleveland to screw this up. Next thing you know the Clowns will be saying he might need amputation of the lower leg, or he needs surgery for a clubbed foot.
seems staph would be the next logical progression if he's going to heal Cleveland style

On a serious note, where are people ranking him now? I had him as a sure-fire late 1st/early 2nd PPR 12 teamer. We dropping him below some of the other WRs not named Calvin and some of the 2nd-tier RBs?

Last edited by a moderator:
seems staph would be the next logical progression if he's going to heal Cleveland style On a serious note, where are people ranking him now? I had him as a sure-fire late 1st/early 2nd PPR 12 teamer. We dropping him below some of the other WRs not named Calvin and some of the 2nd-tier RBs?
Not in June. But if this really does drag into August, he'll start slipping.

Sources: Trent Richardson's shin injury isn't serious

By Dan Hanzus

Around the League Writer

It might be premature to hoist a red flag over Trent Richardson's 2013 season.

It was reported earlier Tuesday that the Cleveland Browns plan to hold Richardson out of action until August, but NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports, via two sources informed of Trent Richardson's injury, the Browns and Richardson do not believe the running back's shin injury is serious.

The Browns are holding Richardson out of minicamp as a precaution, but the team doesn't believe the issue will stop him from being ready for the first day of training camp in July.

The injury -- which may have been caused by over-training -- is similar to shin splints. The condition can be aggravated by continued use. Rapoport reports that Richardson probably could practice, but there is a risk it could exacerbate things.

Richardson dealt with two knee surgeries and broken ribs to get through a promising rookie season. This seems to be a situation where the Browns are taking every precaution they can in an attempt to give Richardson a clean bill of health for Week 1.

If it's true that the injury isn't serious, it might be an overcautious strategy. But the Browns will live with that label rather than the opposite.

Follow Dan Hanzus on Twitter @DanHanzus.

A story from last year was updated a few weeks ago. Last year the original story ran when Richardson was drafted that went over his injury history which focused on an injury to his ANKLE in his youth where he was told that he would NEVER RUN AGAIN.

Obvious the early prognosis was incorrect but it makes sense for the club to be sensative to any injury that Trent might have with his ankles.

It seemed like a fluff piece at the time it was written but it mentions the ankle injury as monumental and something he worked extra hard to overcome.

Go to the link for the full read but here are some snippets pertaining to the ankle injury and how he worked to overcome it.

The article also mentions something I overlooked when I first read it.

It seems Trent was pigeon toed and bow legged so a coach helped him develop a rushing style suited to his unique build.

Maybe that is one of the reasons he's been successful.

Good read for anyone looking into whether or not T-Rich will be fine for camp and for a big season.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2012/05/trent_richardson_feature_cleve.html

Trent Richardson goes from being told he'll never run again to his goal of becoming the best NFL back that ever lived

By Mary Kay Cabot, The Plain DealerThe Plain Dealer
on May 12, 2012 at 11:15 PM, updated May 13, 2012 at 2:46 PM

... At one point, after his second ankle surgery and with a baby girl in his arms, he nearly gave up the game he loved so much. Luckily for the Browns, he didn't.

"It's a miracle that I've gotten to this point," he said. "Now that I'm here, I want to be remembered as the most dominant player to ever play the game."

... Richardson's bowed legs and pigeon-towed gait, something he was often teased about.

"It was the kind of thing that the family would've gotten corrected when Trent was little if they had more money and health care," he said.

Boyd stepped in and taught Richardson to run with a narrower base, his shoulders more square with his legs. He also had him run hills of sand known as the Bluffs until his thick calves almost exploded.

"Trent was a freak of nature, even as a young boy," said Boyd. "He was a power forward in basketball, he ran a 10.5 in the 100 meters and he could bench-press 475 pounds.''

But in his freshman year at Escambia, he tore a ligament in his left ankle and hopped off the field.

"We were in a Wing-T offense running sideline to sideline and everybody knew I was getting the ball," Richardson recalled. "Two people dove at my ankles and then a couple more. When I tried to go back in, I said 'coach, I can't run.'"

Doctors at the famed Andrews Institute repaired the ligament with a screw and warned him it would be tough to return to football.

"But I came back stronger," said Richardson. "I couldn't play basketball that year, but I ran track, winning the district championships in the 100 meters."

Shortly after the surgery, Richardson discovered that his girlfriend was pregnant and that he'd be a father at 16. "I had to grow up fast," he said. "I was a child raising a child."

By then almost full-grown at 5-9 and a chiseled 200 pounds, Richardson worked relentlessly in the weight room and on the field. But early in his sophomore season, he tore the ligament in the right ankle and was back at the Andrews Institute, having another screw inserted.

"This time, they'd told me I'd never run again," he said. "I thought my football career was over."

Shortly thereafter, the first of his two daughters, Taliyah was born. The second, Elevara, now 3, came along when he was a senior.

"I was on crutches when Taliyah was born and I couldn't even hold her and walk with her," he said. "I had to sit in one spot the whole time."

Richardson was so discouraged that he almost quit football, but his family and coaches talked him out of it.

... Defying the doctors again, Richardson returned to track that year and won districts in the 100 meters. "He was even faster than the year before," recalled Boyd.

... Richardson worked his way back onto the football field as a junior, rushing for 407 yards and four touchdowns his first game out. Terrell gave him posters of star running backs, which were tacked up on a bedroom wall for motivation.

"People had been saying that Trent was soft, that he was fragile and that he couldn't handle contact," said Terrell, who played defensive end at Louisiana-Lafayette. "Tell Trent he can't do something and he'll prove you wrong."

His senior year, folks said the 407-yard game was a fluke, so he topped it with 419 yards and six TDs in a game. That season, he rushed for 2,090 yards and 26 TDs.

... "I want to be the best running back ever to play the game," he said. "I want a rushing title, and to be a Pro Bowler. I want to make a difference in the community and never put myself first. I want to be a real father figure, and I want people to remember my name long after I'm out of the game."

A game he almost never had a chance to play.
I woudn't bet against him.

He seems to feed off of any negative talk he hears directed toward him so I whole heartedly welcome comments like the one above since Trent will come back even stronger and have a monster year.

Well then, #### - NO, HE STINKS!!! HE IS SOOOOOO DONE. David Wilson and Doug Martin are going to run circle around this ###-hat of clown.

Rotoworld:

Trent Richardson (shin) insists he'll be ready for the start of training camp.
The Browns are circling the wagons after ESPN Cleveland reported Tuesday that Richardson would be sidelined until August. The reality is, it's a possibility, but it won't be a major concern provided T-Rich is ready for the preseason. Racking up minor injuries at an alarming rate, Richardson will be on the spot to prove he can healthily handle the NFL grind this season.

Source: Nate Ulrich on Twitter

After reading the article about his "bowed legs and pigeon-towed gait" I began to wonder if the physical adjustments Richardson needed to make (like any athlete that has to adjust to an injury) could put greater stress on other areas of his leg, possibly leaving him with a predisposition to other leg injuries? High performance athletes at the NFL level only have so much farther they can take there bodies.

It seems like his history supports that hypothesis, even if he has been able to play through his injuries to date. Thoughts?

After reading the article about his "bowed legs and pigeon-towed gait" I began to wonder if the physical adjustments Richardson needed to make (like any athlete that has to adjust to an injury) could put greater stress on other areas of his leg, possibly leaving him with a predisposition to other leg injuries? High performance athletes at the NFL level only have so much farther they can take there bodies.

It seems like his history supports that hypothesis, even if he has been able to play through his injuries to date. Thoughts?
From the article:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

... Richardson's bowed legs and pigeon-towed gait, something he was often teased about.

"It was the kind of thing that the family would've gotten corrected when Trent was little if they had more money and health care," he said.

Boyd stepped in and taught Richardson to run with a narrower base, his shoulders more square with his legs. He also had him run hills of sand known as the Bluffs until his thick calves almost exploded....

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The article does a good job of explaining how that defect would have been corrected had the family the money for an operation however since they could not afford it Trent had to deal with it. In high school his coach taught Trent how to run with a narrower base and to square his shoulders with his legs to off-set the odd gate.

I think that what was considered a defect may be the reason Richardson has been so effective as a runner. Running with a narrow base and squaring the shoulders would help with balance and in deflecting tacklers and keeping sure footing and driving forward with power. That would help any runner.

If a player naturally is bowlegged and pigeon towed being taught to run in such a manner would be less of a choice and more of a necessity.

It seems to have benefited Rihardson.

His current injury may indeed have some connection to early injuries which may have been related to him being bow legged or pigeon towed but now that he has learned to run effectively with his natural gate I believe the current injury has not been caused by his running style but does have a connection with his eariest injuries and that resting him is simply a precaution.

I feel he'll be ready to go for the season.

Rotoworld:

CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reports "there is every expectation" that Trent Richardson (leg) will be ready for the start of training camp.
Initially, there were reports that Richardson would miss much of August as he recovers from a shin issue, but both coach Rob Chudzinski and Richardson have insisted that he'll be on the field participating in team drills in late July. Being that it's June, Richardson's "injury" has been blown out of proportion.

Source: CBS Sports

This is from the 8th, but it had to be more serious than a simple/minor shin injury for him to have taken such a long time off from running and having to visit Andrews.

Trent Richardson (leg) is on track to begin a running program in two weeks.
Richardson is expected to be ready for training camp, but was held out of OTAs with a right shin injury and will visit Dr. James Andrews before he's cleared. Richardson insists he isn't dealing with a more serious setback. The Browns will continue to exercise caution with their workhorse back before the preseason

Trent Richardson reportedly begins running programBy Kevin Patra NFL.com

On Friday we pondered whether Cleveland Browns running back Trent Richardson would be ready for training camp.

Even as early reports indicated he could be out through August, the injured running back has insisted from the start he will be at camp after suffering a leg injury.

At the very least, he's on track to be back. Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer reported Saturday that Richardson has begun his running program at home in Pensacola Fla., as scheduled.

The Browns will be cautions with their talented sophomore running back, but it's good news that Richardson seems to be on schedule.

Follow Kevin Patra on Twitter @kpatra.

I think Richardson is primed for takeoff. The more I read about him the more I like him. Tough as nails. I think he's a better SJax.

Rotoworld:

Norv Turner's running backs average roughly 300 carries and 55 catches per season.
Turner loves to ride his feature backs for three downs, yielding extremely heavy and productive workloads. Emmitt Smith, LaDainian Tomlinson, Ricky Williams, Frank Gore and Terry Allen all had some of their best seasons while playing under Norv. Now it's Trent Richardson's turn. Once this minor shin issue gets behind him, the second-year back will settle in as a solid first-round fantasy pick.

Source: ESPN Cleveland

Cleveland Browns' Trent Richardson says he's pain-free: 'I'll be full-go' when camp starts

By Mary Kay Cabot, The Plain Dealer

Follow on Twitter

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Trent Richardson has been sprinting pain-free, is 100 percent healthy and expects to be ready for the start of Browns training camp next week.

"I have no pain at all in the leg,'' he said by phone before a Tuesday pool workout in Pensacola, Fla. "I'll be ready for camp and I'll be ready to go for the season."

Richardson, who sat out the mandatory June minicamp and the final week of organized team activities with a muscle strain in his right shin, said he won't miss a beat when training camp opens July 25 with a 4 p.m. practice.

"I'll be full-go right from the get-go and y'all out there will see me flying around," he said. "I can't wait to get out there and I can't wait for the first game. I've been waiting forever for this season and I know it's going to be a good one for us.''

Richardson began his running program June 24 in Pensacola, running two days in the water to every one on land. But recently, he's kicked it up to two days on land, two days in the water.

"I've been doing sprints, a lot of plyometrics (jump-training) and a lot of quick-twitch work," he said. "It's a lot of muscle-memory stuff designed to get the explosion back."

Richardson is particularly excited about his first healthy NFL preseason. A year ago, his arthroscopically-repaired knee was hurting right from the start, and had to have it cleaned again Aug. 9, which kept him out of all four preseason games.

"I'm going to be out there in camp having fun this time," he said. "My knee's not hurting. Last year, I was pretty banged up coming into the camp and I didn't even know it. When I was walking, my leg, sometimes it just wouldn't catch and so it kind of gave out on me. This will be the first time I'm going into an NFL with no surgeries or anything like that.''

Richardson said sitting out last month was precautionary.

"Coach (Rob Chudzinski) is smart and he's going to make the best decision," said Richardson. "If he tells me to sit down and rest up, I'm going to sit down. It was the off-season, and there was no reason to take it that far and hurt yourself real bad.''

Richardson rushed for 950 yards and 11 TDs last season, despite sitting out the final game and playing most of the season with broken ribs. He said he learned the hard way not to push it.

"Everybody knows me," he said. "I played the whole season with broken ribs and nobody even knew it. I ran for the first time on the Thursday before the season started and I played on Sunday without making any cuts or anything. So that tells you a lot about my character, as far as me being strong-minded and willing to play hurt.''

Richardson will report at his prescribed weight of 225, down about seven pounds from last season.

"I really couldn't run that much last year to keep the weight down,'' he said. "Your ribs are connected to everything, so I really couldn't run full speed. But now I can, and the system that we're running with coach Chudzinski and coach (Norv) Turner makes you believe in yourself, too.''

Richardson said he was "average" in his rookie season, which resulted in a 3.6-yard rushing average.

"When you look at first downs and (11) touchdowns and things like that, you can't compare me to what a lot of other guys did last year," he said.

On Tuesday, Richardson conducted a free football camp for 350 kids at his alma mater, Escambia High. He's also spent a lot of time with another Escambia alum, Hall of Famer Emmitt Smith, who won the rushing title three times under Turner in Dallas.

"Just being able to learn from him is more than than I can ask for,'' said Richardson. "He's still the NFL's all-time leading rusher right now until somebody goes and gets him. One day, hopefully I'll be the one to go get him.''

Sprinting pain-free is a good place to start.

I like what he's saying in that article...seems to have the right attitude and is level headed and looking to improve on his solid rookie season.

history of injuries, Weeden , 8-man fronts, they don't play the AFC West like last year, where Richardson had his 'best'

ypc avg of just 4.07..

they play the AFC East and its somewhat stingy run defenses, and of course the AFC North where Richardson avg'd a paltry 3.79/carry..

they also play the NFC North..

he worn down as the season dragged on, averaging 3.47 in Sept, 3.94 in Oct, 3.48 in Nov, 3.36 in Dec..so his entire 2012 season's avg of 3.6 was bolstered by the 3.94 in Oct..

after lackluster rookie seasons, people were still optimistic for Rb's like Curtis Enis, Mark Imgram, Errict Wrett, etc, but they never panned out..

I get the same feeling about Richardson,that he's just another average NFL RB

.For that reason,among others, I'll pass on Richardson.

history of injuries, Weeden , 8-man fronts, they don't play the AFC West like last year, where Richardson had his 'best'

ypc avg of just 4.07..

they play the AFC East and its somewhat stingy run defenses, and of course the AFC North where Richardson avg'd a paltry 3.79/carry..

they also play the NFC North..

he worn down as the season dragged on, averaging 3.47 in Sept, 3.94 in Oct, 3.48 in Nov, 3.36 in Dec..so his entire 2012 season's avg of 3.6 was bolstered by the 3.94 in Oct..

after lackluster rookie seasons, people were still optimistic for Rb's like Curtis Enis, Mark Imgram, Errict Wrett, etc, but they never panned out..

I get the same feeling about Richardson,that he's just another average NFL RB

.For that reason,among others, I'll pass on Richardson.
he "wore" down because he was playing with a broken rib. Injuries are an issue and they held him back as did the all rookie offense.

I'm not in ypc leagues so it's pretty irrelevant to me. With respect to the AFC North here's how he did last year...

Cin 26.5 pts

Bal 16.4 pts

Cin 5.4 pts

Bal 13.6 pts

Pitt 17.2 pts

15,82 avg which extrapolates to 253 pts, good for RB4.

The offense will be focused around him and he'll be among the league leaders in touches if he stays on the field.

I'm liking T-Rich more and more. Right now the consensus is a tier of 4 RBs with Peterson, Foster, Martin & Charles. I'm beginning to think it should be 5 with Richardson in there.

Crazy to draft him ahead of Spiller, McCoy & Rice? I don't think so.

I'm liking T-Rich more and more. Right now the consensus is a tier of 4 RBs with Peterson, Foster, Martin & Charles. I'm beginning to think it should be 5 with Richardson in there.

I don't think it's crazy to include all those guys in the conversation at #5.

Right, but is there any reason to think Richardson is a safer pick? You KNOW he's going to get a ton of touches if he stays healthy, but at the same time those other guys might not need as many touches to get the same production. Still, if I have pick 5 assuming the top 4 RBs are gone I'd have a hard time not picking Richardson. Norv will turn him into a superstar.

In dynasty leagues, I don't think it is out of order to rank him at the #1 spot!

Right, but is there any reason to think Richardson is a safer pick? You KNOW he's going to get a ton of touches if he stays healthy, but at the same time those other guys might not need as many touches to get the same production. Still, if I have pick 5 assuming the top 4 RBs are gone I'd have a hard time not picking Richardson. Norv will turn him into a superstar.
I think dynasty owners are all dreaming abou this.

I think that with pick 5, assuming the top 4 RB's are gone (Peterson, Foster, Martin, Charles), I'm taking Calvin Johnson.

Though I certainly understand going with Richardson there.

I would take McCoy over Trent right now. But it is close. Marshawn is in there too right? Might be as safe a RB as you can find outside of Adrian.

I would take McCoy over Trent right now. But it is close. Marshawn is in there too right? Might be as safe a RB as you can find outside of Adrian.
Why?

I really like McCOY but McCoy is coming off a season where he suffered a serious concusion and he's got Brown who looks poised to carve out some opportunities of his own.

Do not get me wrong, I really like McCoy and feel he will have a solid to great season but we've already seen his ceiling, we know how good he can be but this isn't Andy Ried's scheme where the running and passing game is funnelled thru him. I see potential with Chip Kelly's offense but I don't think McCoy will see the numbers he had in his prime a few years ago. I like him but I don't see as high of a ceiling.

Richardson has had a surgery last year at this time where he missed critical time learning in training camp and in preseason. Dough Deiken, a former Pro Bowl OLT Cleveland Brown and color analyst for the club's radio team said that he thought the time missed by Richardon last year really hurt him and that he felt that he never learned some of the basics of the NFL passing game.

Trent proved his toughness last year playing thru nagging injuries. Add, last year his quaterback was a rookie, Weeden, his right tackle was a rookie, Mitchell Schwartz, and his top WR was a rookie, Josh Gordon, and his other starting WR was in his second year, Greg Little. Add the offensive scheme last year didn't fit any of the skill position players including T-Rich.

If LeSean McCoy was coming off the same situation where he:

- was a rookie

- missed all training camp and preseason

- was working in an offensive system that didn't fit any of the skill positional strengths of the pass protecting strength of the O-Line

- was working with rookies at:

> QB

> RT

> WR and a second year WR

> was playing thru broken ribs

If LeSean McCoy was coming off a rookie season where he wasn't in camp where the rest of the team went over installs on offense for pass protection for the RBs and tons of reps for pass routes do you think he'd be in-line for an increase in production?

Now factor in all of the things that were hindering Richardson last year but factor in the following:

- Weeden is no longer a rookie QB

- Mitchell Schwartz is no longer a rookie right tackle and has already been mentioned as one of the best right tackles in the league

- Josh Gordon will miss the firt two games but he looked sensational in mini-camp and OTAs and he;s no longer a rookie WR

- Greg Little improved dramatically last year when Josh Gordon busted out and the pressure was off him and he should show significant improvement this year

- LG Jason Pinkston is back from the blot clots that nearly took his life last year and he's looking like a beast, he was coming into his own at the end of the 2011 season (his rookie year) and I think he'll be the best run blocker on the team and that is saying something

- Just the overall offensive line looks to be one of the best in the entire NFL

- He's going to be ready for training camp to learn the offense with the rest of the team

- NORV TURNER

I think if any second year RB is set to have a break-out mega season its Cleveland Browns running back Trent Richardson.

Rotoworld:

Trent Richardson (shin) was a full participant for the start of Browns training camp.
It's great news for a player whose injury concerns have been overblown. "Richardson has been full-go," coach Rob Chudzinski said. "He’s been practicing these last few days and looks good." Richardson was sidelined for OTAs and minicamp with a right shin strain. He's currently the No. 10 back in Rotoworld's preseason rankings, and offers upside to score at an even higher level than that.

Source: Akron Beacon-Journal

Giddy up!

Rotoworld:

Browns OC Norv Turner wants Trent Richardson to carry the ball 300 times this season.
"Obviously, the trend in the league is to not do that, but I think it depends on your team and everyone around it," Turner said. "If that player is your best player, then I think it's probably a good thing to have him in the game and give him the ball. So I would hope Trent would have that many carries." Only five running backs carried the ball at least 300 times last season; Richardson toted it 267 times. Stacked up at 5-foot-11 and 224 pounds, he can handle the load.

Source: Cleveland Plain Dealer

:popcorn: Anyone here panic sell Trich?
Early redraft leagues have been selling him. But I think his days of him making it to the 2nd round are over. Come late August, I won't be surprised if Richardson is going in the top 3 in a lot of drafts.

Why am I supposed to take Charles or Martin or Spiller before him?

Early redraft leagues have been selling him. But I think his days of him making it to the 2nd round are over. Come late August, I won't be surprised if Richardson is going in the top 3 in a lot of drafts.Why am I supposed to take Charles or Martin or Spiller before him?
He has as good of a shot as any to finish #1 outside of Peterson IMO.

3 down uber-talent who is great receiver/goal line back, yes please.

I was. Recently offered Adrian Peterson for Trent in a ppr dynasty. Declined it. Might be a mistake this year and next but I don't think it will be by much.

Air Stich said:
Bucky86 said:
Early redraft leagues have been selling him. But I think his days of him making it to the 2nd round are over. Come late August, I won't be surprised if Richardson is going in the top 3 in a lot of drafts.

Why am I supposed to take Charles or Martin or Spiller before him?
I'm big on Trent and would take him over Spiller. I think taking him or Calvin at 6 is the hardest decision to make this year. That said, last years ypc, his injury history and the cleveland being a factory of sadness and disappointment worry me.

Could Richardson lead NFL in rushing?

By Jamison Hensley | ESPN.com

Cleveland Browns offensive coordinator Norv Turner has coached the NFL's leading rusher five times. Could running back Trent Richardson be the next one?

Turner got every fantasy football owner's attention Tuesday when he indicated Richardson could carry the ball 300 times this season. All five players who cracked 300 carries last season ranked in the top six in the NFL in rushing.

"If that player is your best player, then I think it’s probably a good thing to have him in the game and give him the ball," Turner said, via The Plain Dealer. "So I would hope Trent would have that many carries. That means he’s playing healthy and playing at a pretty high level."

Under Turner, Emmitt Smith, Ricky Williams and LaDainian Tomlinson all won rushing crowns and handled a major workload in doing so. Smith carried the ball 365 times in 1991 and 373 times in 1992. Williams had a whopping 383 carries in 2002. And Tomlinson ran the ball 315 times in 2007.

Few running backs have to take such a pounding these days. In the previous two seasons, only seven players have carried the ball more than 300 times. The past 10 rushing champions, however, have averaged 353 carries during their respective league-leading seasons.

Richardson did some heavy lifting as a rookie last year under coach Pat Shurmur even though the No. 3 overall pick battled injuries. He played 702 offensive snaps in 2012, which was ninth-most among NFL running backs. Richardson established himself as a workhorse despite undergoing a knee scope early in training camp, breaking his ribs in Week 6 and missing the season finale due to an ankle sprain. He finished 18th in the NFL in rushing with 950 yards but tied for fifth in the league with 11 rushing touchdowns.

Turner was asked how Richardson measured up against the likes of Smith and Tomlinson.

"Just watching him and seeing him against us when I came here in October and then watching the tape, yeah, he’s that type of runner," Turner said. "Obviously he’s the third pick in the draft. I think he has a lot of great days ahead of him. I always have a problem comparing players because each guy has his own unique style, but I think he’s capable of doing great things."

Rotoworld:

Trent Richardson impressed with his "speed and agility" on the first day of Browns camp, handling all the first-team running back reps.
Clearly past his spring shin injury, the Cleveland Plain Dealer considers T-Rich "far removed" from rumors he might miss the start of camp with a stress fracture. He's all systems go. Richardson reportedly looked "light on his feet" and "quicker" than at this time last year, when he was coming off double knee scopes. He's also gotten down to 225 pounds after playing at 233 as a rookie.

Rotoworld:

Trent Richardson impressed with his "speed and agility" on the first day of Browns camp, handling all the first-team running back reps.
Clearly past his spring shin injury, the Cleveland Plain Dealer considers T-Rich "far removed" from rumors he might miss the start of camp with a stress fracture. He's all systems go. Richardson reportedly looked "light on his feet" and "quicker" than at this time last year, when he was coming off double knee scopes. He's also gotten down to 225 pounds after playing at 233 as a rookie.

:popcorn:

Rotoworld:

:popcorn:
the linked article is good...fluff piece but I like the mental approach he takes and seems very humble and hard working. I think his ADP continues to rise from now until the start of the season.

Here is the complete history of Norv Turner's team's bellcow running backs. It lists every RB he had the confidence to give a full-time workload to (as HC or OC), who then gave him a full or nearly full season where he was able to take a bellcow's share of the carries. It does not leave any out. Any year that is missing is because Norv was cobbling together a committee of Amos Zereoues and Jackie Battles...though it's probably worth noting he cobbled together some pretty successful committees out of some pretty crappy parts.

Again, no single bellcow season has been omitted.

Format is RB - Total YFS (rounded)/Total TDs

Emmitt - 1800 /13

Emmitt - 2000/19

Emmitt - 1900/10

Terry Allen - 1400/11

Terry Allen - 1550/21

Stephen Davis - 1500/17

Stephen Davis - 1600/11

LT2 - 1600/10

Ricky Williams - 2200/17

Ricky Williams - 1700/10

Lamont Jordan - 1600/11

Gore - 2200/9

LT2 - 2000/18

LT2 - 1500/12

If you're keeping score, that's an AVERAGE season of ~1750/14, out of everyone from HOF'ers to Lamont Freaking Jordan. That would have slotted any old Norv Turner back quite nicely into, oh, 3rd or so last season. Somewhat higher in an average year.

And in case you're thinking, "Yeah, but LT2 is a while ago!," in '10 and '11 when Norv was building a full-time committee out of Mathews and Tolbert, they combined for seasons of 1750/18 and 2400/14. Those had a few more touches than a single bellcow could hope for, so I don't think they're 100% relevant, but they're pretty strong evidence he's still going to force the RB issue.

With one guy in 14 years of feature backs failing to crack double digit TD's (and he got 9, to go with 2200 YFS), I'm thinking the projections and rankings I've been seeing for TRich are way, way low, unless you're dead set on hedging for the seemingly-healed leg tweak.

I think with that much history of huge production, no matter who the back, it's hard to see him as a much worse bet to lead all FF RB's than a Foster with 3 straight years of decreasing production, or an ADP who had a freak season for the ages come out of nowhere.

I dont want to rain an anyone's parade here, but...

Trent Richardson had the fewest amount of rushes over 20 yards of nearly every RB in the NFL - 2 out of 267 rushes went for MORE than 20 yards..avg'd 3.6 per carry, can't blame the O-line, it didn't affect the other Browns' RB's who avg'd 4.4 per carry..

Richardson converted only 6 of 13 short yardage ( 1 yard) rushes..of the 26 players with at least 10 attempts, only one other fell below 50% as did Richardson..

-source fantasy index.

you can paint as rosey a picture as you want , Richardson isn't very good, in fact, he's grossly, vastly overrated..

I guess we'll go ahead and come down on opposite ends of that spectrum, then. Because I think he's a far, far, far sight better than Lamont Jordan, S. Davis, and a reconstructed Terry Allen.

I think injury is the only thing that can possibly keep him out of the top 3 FF RB's this year, and he's my choice for odds on fave for RB1, and I will be drafting him as such.

Trent Richardson had the fewest amount of rushes over 20 yards of nearly every RB in the NFL - 2 out of 267 rushes went for MORE than 20 yards..avg'd 3.6 per carry, can't blame the O-line, it didn't affect the other Browns' RB's who avg'd 4.4 per carry..

Richardson converted only 6 of 13 short yardage ( 1 yard) rushes..of the 26 players with at least 10 attempts, only one other fell below 50% as did Richardson..

-source fantasy index.

you can paint as rosey a picture as you want , Richardson isn't very good, in fact, he's grossly, vastly overrated..
you keep bringing up the same point about the ypc but there are MULTIPLE changes that have occurred for the good that indicates he should improve upon those numbers. What are your projections for him? Just so we can get them on record.

-source fantasy index.

you do recall he was playing with a broken rib for a little while.

ESPN's John Clayton's Training camp report on the Browns.

His take on Browns RB Trent Richhardson.

The information pertaining to his ribs and much they bothered him is significant not only due to the pain where he had to be driven to work but how the coaches restricted his runs to the inside.

Briefly mentioned in this article is the fact Trent missed all of training camp and last year's preseason due to recuperating from knee surgery. That absence not only made Trent rusty in the first game of last year but he missed valuable 'instals' on offense pertaining to learning pass protection, an area that he struggled on, and it was noted by Browns color analyst and former Pro Bowl offensive left tackle for the Browns, Doug Deiken, that he felt Trent didn't grasp the fundementals of the standard 'stretch' run play.

In any event, Richardson missing his entire rookie training camp and the preseason games had an adverse effect on his rookie season but Clayton spells out how much the rib injury limited Trent Richardson last year and how healthy he is now and how much having Norv Turner points to Richardson turning into a star this year.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp13/story/_/id/9520247/2013-nfl-training-camp-browns-rebuilding-project

2. A star ready to shine: Trent Richardson appeared to have a disappointing rookie season, rushing for only 950 yards. Lower-drafted rookies such as Doug Martin and Alfred Morris did better. This should be Richardson's year for several reasons. First, he's healthy. Richardson didn't reach his full potential last year because of injuries. He missed a lot of training camp and all the preseason games because of a knee injury that required arthroscopic surgery. Then in Week 6 he suffered two broken ribs. Although he continued playing, the injury kept him from sleeping normally. He had to have friends drive him to work because of the pain. Practice was tough, and coaches restricted him to inside runs. Richardson is completely healthy now, and it showed in the first padded practice Sunday. He can run to the inside with power and authority and break runs to the outside. The second benefit for Richardson is offensive coordinator Norv Turner. One of the game's best playcallers, Turner is a master at getting the most out of top backs. He has worked with Emmitt Smith, Ricky Williams, LaDainian Tomlinson, Stephen Davis and others. Richardson has the talent to be in that elite group. Expect him to get more than 300 carries and to be very involved in the passing game with screens.

Users who are viewing this thread