What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Unconventional drafting (1 Viewer)

Hear-the-Footsteps

Footballguy
I love this time of year. Getting ancy about all my drafts in August.

In the meantime, I read a ton of these threads.

Anyway, what I am about to get into, I have never done. And to be honest, I probably won't do it in any of my many drafts this year either. But I do like hearing others' opinions, analyzing them, seeing if there might be a new twist, etc.

So I was thinking about it and if you decided to NOT go with stud RB theory (or just loading up on them towards the beginning of the draft) or even NOT go with VBD - and decided to stay AWAY from RBs early, what would happen?

So I went through some ADP lists to see what is generally available in each round (assuming 12 team league).

And interestingly, you can get a decent team. Again, not saying I will do this as I am about 99.99% certain I won't, but I was hoping to get some opinions on whether they think the following would be a formidable team.

I will list a few people in each of these rounds (just in case someone wants to claim that the one guy I list would never be available at that spot - or in case someone just happens to hate the guy I chose to list (since that isn't the point))

So if you do NOT select a RB through the first 3 rounds, but then try to grab a few.

1st round: go with Manning

2nd: Steve Smith/Torry Holt/Chad Johnson

3rd: Larry Fitzgerald/Roy Williams/Anquan Boldin

4th: Marshawn Lynch/Deuce McAlister/Brandon Jacobs/Marion Barber III

5th: Adrian Peterson/DeAngelo Williams/Jamal Lewis

6th: Jerious Norwood/Warrick Dunn

7th: Lamont Jordan/Kevin Jones

So you'd have the best QB in the game.

You'd have probably the best 1-2 punch at WRs (as very few people take 2 WRs in the first 3 rounds).

And you'd still have 4 RBs to choose from each week - so you can play the matchups, be okay on bye weeks, etc. Plus, this gives you a chance to hit gold at RB (like if Kevin Jones does come back and plays like a RB1 or 2; or if DeAngelo Williams completely takes over leaving Foster in his dust or same of Jacobs dusting Droughns).

QB: Manning

RBs: Lynch, Peterson, Norwood, K.Jones

WRs: S.Smith, RyWilliams

Not a shabby start.

Just curious what others think about this method?

I know you really have to have your fingers crossed on some of these RBs, but that is why you take 4 of them in a row - so that hopefully 1 or 2 really pan out and hopefully exceed their draft spot.

What do you think about this method?

You're right, I wouldn't want to try it, but I've finished seasons with rosters that resembled that due to injuries and did well.

RBs: Lynch, Peterson, Norwood, K.Jones

I would not want a RB corps with these guys. No way, no how.

The first three will be RBBC guys and Jones could miss a lot of time. No thank you.

I'm not shooting doen the theory, just shooting doen the options selected.

I know you really have to have your fingers crossed on some of these RBs, but that is why you take 4 of them in a row - so that hopefully 1 or 2 really pan out and hopefully exceed their draft spot.What do you think about this method?
This is the key. IF you get lucky on your RB's, then of course this is a good team. But that is a huge IF. Plus you have no WR3 until at least round 8, which is also a risk. This has been discussed ad nauseum in other threads - I am of the opinion that it is a terrible idea, but you will find some people on the boards that will disagree. Personally, the advantage Manning/Smith/RWilliams gives you at QB and WR does not even come close to making up for the severe disadvantage you would be at with your RB's.

RBs: Lynch, Peterson, Norwood, K.JonesI would not want a RB corps with these guys. No way, no how.The first three will be RBBC guys and Jones could miss a lot of time. No thank you.I'm not shooting doen the theory, just shooting doen the options selected.
Very well. Look above those selections and check out the other choices.Afterall, I wasn't asking about those specific guys - more wanted to focus on the general strategy/idea.So first, who would you take from that group?And then, do you like it overall considering it is meant to go along with the best QB and WRs?

Rather than doing that I would lean toward QBBC and taking RBs and WRs early on. Using QBBC and DTBC I have been in the playoffs the last three years and won the Super Bowl last year. Jut my two cents.

It is a gamble. If you get duds at RB then you will have to trade away Manning and/or your WRs to get some help anyway. If you get lucky with those backs, then you will have a dynamite team.

Last year if you had gotten Addai, MJD, and MB3 to go a long with Manning, Harrison, and TO then you hit a homerun. If you paired Manning/Harrison/TO with Benson, Lundy, and Foster then you struckout.

zig when they zag eh?

i'm okay with it if it is only a start 2 RB league but two things will derail you ... if you miss with one of your "sure thing" WRs and if you DON'T get this year's Gore/Henry in rds 4-7

of the possibles above i like Jacobs/DeWill/Norwood/KJones to perform better than ADP

RBs: Lynch, Peterson, Norwood, K.JonesI would not want a RB corps with these guys. No way, no how.The first three will be RBBC guys and Jones could miss a lot of time. No thank you.I'm not shooting doen the theory, just shooting doen the options selected.
Very well. Look above those selections and check out the other choices.Afterall, I wasn't asking about those specific guys - more wanted to focus on the general strategy/idea.So first, who would you take from that group?And then, do you like it overall considering it is meant to go along with the best QB and WRs?
I probably would have taken Gates if he were there at the 3/4 turn and it was a TE required league. I don't love any of the guys listed at the 3rd round spot. Roy W may have to share with several other guys and I'm down on the ARI receivers this year.At some point I would want the other parts of the RBBC guys . . . so people like Dunn, Taylor, JJones, Foster and maybe one of the GB guys. I also think Jordan will be a decent pickup and he'll be the $1 guy in OAK. I've seen him going in the 7th and 8th but that likely will creep up the closer we get to the season.I probably would have taken a RB at the 3/4 turn but not knowing who was available I can't say one way or the other.

The first 3 RB will be RBBC for the first part of the season. By mid season I expect them to be the #1 RB on their teams respectively. Also, regarding Jones it is more likely that he will be closer to 100% by the 2nd half of the season.If this team could somehow sneak into the playoffs it could be a strong playoff team.

IMO there are some years where you don't even think about attempting this, but this is not one of them. That said, I'm not sure I would seriously entertain this with a QB involved.

When I look at the field, it seems that this is an RB 'transition' year. Guys like Jacobs, Lynch, Peterson among others are all in situations where the possibility of finding quick success is there. They are 4th round values approximately right now. Even RB's you find in Round 2 like Portis, Henry, Maroney, Benson, among others have some significant 'wild-card' factors attached to them.

A few years ago, I was a big proponent of the 2 stud WR's theory - but you really have to pick your spots if you commit to doing this. Consider that the top WR's we are talking about this year are among the same group we've talked about for a little while now - in some cases, a long while.

Harrison

Owens

Steve Smith

Chad Johnson

Torry Holt

The RB position seems more volatile at the top ranks. Not to say it's always turning over but consider last year LT was a clear cut #3 behind Alexander and LJ - now he's an undisputed #1 while Alexander tries to recapture his previous form. Plus, newcomers to the elite level like Gore & SJax show that turnover in the Top 5 RB ranks can occur frequently.

As for the inclusion of QB though - I still can't adopt a 'draft one early' mentality or philosophy. There's just so much supply of solid to great QB play. I think that if you dropped the QB option, you could convince yourself that this is a ripe spot to do this.

Using whatever ADP I entered into my spread sheet (I think FGuys), Fantasy Sports Central Projections and a 10 team league - then taking a middle of the round RB, WR, QB etc's projected ffpoints, this is what it'd project. I'm not saying this is conclusive, just an example to look at. If someone wanted to run this on last years draft and adp, etc I'd love to see it. I'm just too lazy to get that indepth.

So if we go RB, RB, WR, WR, QB we could get:

1) RB - 240

2) RB - 205

3) WR - 180

4) WR - 150

5) QB - 290

Total - 1065

Or if we go WR, WR, QB, RB, RB we could get:

1) QB - 350

2) WR - 190

3) WR - 180

4) RB - 170

5) RB - 145

Total - 1035

Now, feel free to run your own numbers. I've run things like this trying to figure out whether to go after Brady or Romo in drafts just to see how the average round numbers will play out or whatever... I'd encourage you to test your theories by doing the same. I didn't do it in a biased way, tried to be as neutral as possible.

God bless,

-p

I don't like this strategy, BUT in my long running office league the owner that has Manning (and he's always drafted in the 1st round) has either played in the Super Bowl or won the thing the last 3 years running.

So there is obviously something to it.

I would be a little leary of waiting until the 4th to grab a rb, but there is a reward if you can hit on some of the late rbs.

Last year I spent the lions share of my auction money on non rbs and went cheap with K. Jones, C. Taylor, The Bells. I was able to pair K. Jones and C. Taylor with S. Smith, Chad Johnson, Antonio Gates and Mike Vick for a championship. I have done this in other leagues and failed to get any decent rbs and fought it all year. Did not make the playoffs.

My favorite time to go WR early in drafts is if you are drafting way at the top of the draft. Picks 1 and 2 this year can land you LT or SJax and then you can couple the stud RB with 2 stud WRs and you are only fishing for 1 rb in rounds 4-6 instead of 2 starters.

The first 3 RB will be RBBC for the first part of the season. By mid season I expect them to be the #1 RB on their teams respectively. Also, regarding Jones it is more likely that he will be closer to 100% by the 2nd half of the season.If this team could somehow sneak into the playoffs it could be a strong playoff team.
I have drafted this way a handful of times and it can be very effectice depending on the personnel available. One thing that has not been mentioned is the durability of the RB and WR positions. If I can grab two or three top tier WR's, I am pretty much done with that position for the rest of the draft. I can then dedicate 8 roster spots to the RB position, giving me a leg up on all of the speculative rookies and handcuffs or guys in a new environment. Again, this strategy can backfire if the top tier WR's aren't that far ahead of the second tier. Picking at the bottom of the first round puts you well behind at the RB position. If you think the top tier WR's are head and shoulders ahead of the others, I would employ this strategy again in a heartbeat.

I have been a proponent in years past of RB/WR/WR, especially if you are drafting early in rounds 1 and 3, because having two surefire star WRs at pick 23, 26 overall for example can be a great asset and often there is a huge run on RBs in the second with guys reaching because they feel they need a RB.

However, I think this year may be a bit of an exception. The top WRs are just not as dominant as they were a few years ago. Chad Johnson, the consensus #1 is good, but 1300 yds and 10 TDs doesn't really give you all that big of a leg up on the competition. A few years back when you could count on 15 TDs from guys like Moss, Harrison and Holt when they were in their primes, it made more sense.

This year, I'd prefer to really nail down the RB position early because with so many teams going with RBBC, there just aren't as many really good options and the dropoff between the legit top 15-20 guys and the mid round options seems bigger than in years past.

On the other hand, I think the dropoff from Chad, Torry, etc. to mid-late round guys like Joey Galloway, Jerricho Cotchery, Lavearneus Coles, Hines Ward, etc. is just not enough to justify taking two top WRs in the first 3 rounds. If you can get 1,000 yds and 6 TDs in the 6th or 7th round from one of these guys, why draft a guy in the 2nd who will just get you 1300 and 9 TDs?

I won a redraft league in 2004 using WR/WR. The league was RB/WR/WR/Flex/TE I went Holt/R. Moss at the corner. Honestly, I don't remember who I drafted to be RB1, but I got Willis Magahee on the cheap. I had Favre at QB and Gonzo (I think) at TE. I started RB/WR/WR/WR a ton in that league and still needed the last round pick Moose Muhammed to have a career year to overcome Moss' act.

All of this to say that you can be successful using an unconventional method, but you can't have too mistakes with the other positions and will need catch lighting in the bottle at RB.

Why not avoid 90% of this risk and draft a RB in the first round and then go this direction. Yes you do not end up with manning, but in most leagues you can get a quality qb fairly late. Drew Brees, Rivers, Romo, etc were all after-thoughts last year.

and I actually agree this year that the smart drafting is either RB, WR, WR, RB or RB, WR, RB, WR. There is no need to chase a RBBC running back with a second round pick. This is especially true in leagues that have a flex, start at least 3 WRs, and award a point per reception.

We had a team try this last year due more to necessity than anything else...we have an optional 2 keeper league and his RBs were garbage. Anyway he ended up with C. Palmer, C. Johnson, R. Moss, H. Ward, A. Gates as his QB, WR1, WR2, WR3, and TE respectively...so he only needs to find 2 RBs and he is home free, right? Well he got lucky with Henry...not so much with Maroney and Benson...even got some help from Betts off the waiver wire.

His team had 2 big problems....Moss was aweful...even as a 3/4 round guy. Johnson was inconsistent...as WRs are more likely to be...and the lack of RB depth just killed him, especially during bye season. Results? Worst record in the league and the first pick in the draft.

I love this time of year. Getting ancy about all my drafts in August.In the meantime, I read a ton of these threads.Anyway, what I am about to get into, I have never done. And to be honest, I probably won't do it in any of my many drafts this year either. But I do like hearing others' opinions, analyzing them, seeing if there might be a new twist, etc.So I was thinking about it and if you decided to NOT go with stud RB theory (or just loading up on them towards the beginning of the draft) or even NOT go with VBD - and decided to stay AWAY from RBs early, what would happen?So I went through some ADP lists to see what is generally available in each round (assuming 12 team league).And interestingly, you can get a decent team. Again, not saying I will do this as I am about 99.99% certain I won't, but I was hoping to get some opinions on whether they think the following would be a formidable team.I will list a few people in each of these rounds (just in case someone wants to claim that the one guy I list would never be available at that spot - or in case someone just happens to hate the guy I chose to list (since that isn't the point))So if you do NOT select a RB through the first 3 rounds, but then try to grab a few.1st round: go with Manning2nd: Steve Smith/Torry Holt/Chad Johnson3rd: Larry Fitzgerald/Roy Williams/Anquan Boldin4th: Marshawn Lynch/Deuce McAlister/Brandon Jacobs/Marion Barber III5th: Adrian Peterson/DeAngelo Williams/Jamal Lewis6th: Jerious Norwood/Warrick Dunn7th: Lamont Jordan/Kevin JonesSo you'd have the best QB in the game.You'd have probably the best 1-2 punch at WRs (as very few people take 2 WRs in the first 3 rounds).And you'd still have 4 RBs to choose from each week - so you can play the matchups, be okay on bye weeks, etc. Plus, this gives you a chance to hit gold at RB (like if Kevin Jones does come back and plays like a RB1 or 2; or if DeAngelo Williams completely takes over leaving Foster in his dust or same of Jacobs dusting Droughns).QB: ManningRBs: Lynch, Peterson, Norwood, K.JonesWRs: S.Smith, RyWilliamsNot a shabby start.Just curious what others think about this method?I know you really have to have your fingers crossed on some of these RBs, but that is why you take 4 of them in a row - so that hopefully 1 or 2 really pan out and hopefully exceed their draft spot.What do you think about this method?
I've tried stuff like this before.From my experience, it works very well in smaller leagues, like an 8 teamer.It doesn't work as well in larger 12 or more team leagues. The RB pool dries up too fast to get away with really pulling it off.

I'm looking at picking 10th in a 12 teamer

1 QB

1 RB

2 WR

2 WR/RB flex

1 TE

1 K

1 D

usual scoring with 1 ppr for WR and TE and 0.5 for RB

I'm almost sure I'm gonna go RB, WR, WR, WR

If you could start 3-4 solid WRs every week in this system you will score more total points than the 2-3 RB starting teams but my only issue is consitency in a head to head league. I'll kill one week and then a bad passing week by a few teams (weather etc.) could kill me.

Manning, Plamer, Brady are all too close projected points wise for me to take Manning in the first.

This is what can happen fi you draft with little care about RBs....1 QB 2 RBs and 3 WRs starting w/ 1 TERound 1. Peyton Manning QB (IND) 6Round 11 Ben Roethlisberger QB (PIT) 6Round 4. Adrian Peterson RB (MIN) 5Round 6. Fred Taylor RB (JAC) 4Round 12 Anthony Thomas RB (BUF) 6Round 13 Kenny Irons RB (CIN) 5Round 2. Steve Smith WR (CAR) 7Round 7. Santonio Holmes WR (PIT) 6Round 8. Jerricho Cotchery WR (NYJ) 10Round 10 Brandon Jones WR (TEN) 4Round 11 Dwayne Jarrett WR (CAR) 7Round 3. Antonio Gates TE (SD) 7Round 9 TE Chris Cooley TE (WAS) 4Round 5. Baltimore Defense DEF (BAL) 8Round 12 Rob Bironas PK (TEN) 4

I'm looking at picking 10th in a 12 teamer1 QB1 RB2 WR2 WR/RB flex1 TE1 K1 Dusual scoring with 1 ppr for WR and TE and 0.5 for RBI'm almost sure I'm gonna go RB, WR, WR, WRIf you could start 3-4 solid WRs every week in this system you will score more total points than the 2-3 RB starting teams but my only issue is consitency in a head to head league. I'll kill one week and then a bad passing week by a few teams (weather etc.) could kill me.Manning, Plamer, Brady are all too close projected points wise for me to take Manning in the first.

I can never bring myself to try a strategy like this. Usually I feel like I've got a better shot to strike gold off the waiver wire with a QB or a WR, so I don't like to roll the dice on RB's. I could see how this could work, and I enjoy seeing people buck the trends, but I feel like the margin of error this draft style leaves is too small.

Keen eye David........Admittedly, it was a rather abrupt pick --during a mock from the #7 slot on Sunday. Once i had taken P.Manning, S.Smith and Gates, I kind of stayed the course trying to get a best of category. Getting A.Peterson in round 4 -- I figured would be the best of class rookie and give some punch to RB.While round 5 pick might have been better spent on a WR (e.g. Deion Branch, Braylon Edwards, Calvin Johnson or Lav. Coles were available) I think that team defenses (like top QBs) can be fairly underrated in 12 team leagues. * BAL this year will probably suffer from the loss of Adalius Thomas.Anyway, its simply food for thought, i doubt i would have the guts to truly draft this way. I was ridiculed during this draft beggining with the Manning pick at 7.

Round 5. Baltimore Defense DEF (BAL) 8
This one threw me. Unless there is some major points awarded to defense, I find this pick a bit unusual and probably not the best pick on the board.

Keen eye David........Admittedly, it was a rather abrupt pick --during a mock from the #7 slot on Sunday. Once i had taken P.Manning, S.Smith and Gates, I kind of stayed the course trying to get a best of category. Getting A.Peterson in round 4 -- I figured would be the best of class rookie and give some punch to RB.While round 5 pick might have been better spent on a WR (e.g. Deion Branch, Braylon Edwards, Calvin Johnson or Lav. Coles were available) I think that team defenses (like top QBs) can be fairly underrated in 12 team leagues. * BAL this year will probably suffer from the loss of Adalius Thomas.Anyway, its simply food for thought, i doubt i would have the guts to truly draft this way. I was ridiculed during this draft beggining with the Manning pick at 7.

Round 5. Baltimore Defense DEF (BAL) 8
This one threw me. Unless there is some major points awarded to defense, I find this pick a bit unusual and probably not the best pick on the board.
I plan on using this sort of strategy in a real draft this year and then we could have a real discussion on this type of thing. I have a hard time debating couldas wouldas and shouldas involving ficticious accounts, mock drafts, and not knowing who the people in the league are.

This is what can happen fi you draft with little care about RBs....1 QB 2 RBs and 3 WRs starting w/ 1 TERound 1. Peyton Manning QB (IND) 6Round 11 Ben Roethlisberger QB (PIT) 6Round 4. Adrian Peterson RB (MIN) 5Round 6. Fred Taylor RB (JAC) 4Round 12 Anthony Thomas RB (BUF) 6Round 13 Kenny Irons RB (CIN) 5Round 2. Steve Smith WR (CAR) 7Round 7. Santonio Holmes WR (PIT) 6Round 8. Jerricho Cotchery WR (NYJ) 10Round 10 Brandon Jones WR (TEN) 4Round 11 Dwayne Jarrett WR (CAR) 7Round 3. Antonio Gates TE (SD) 7Round 9 TE Chris Cooley TE (WAS) 4Round 5. Baltimore Defense DEF (BAL) 8Round 12 Rob Bironas PK (TEN) 4

I'm looking at picking 10th in a 12 teamer1 QB1 RB2 WR2 WR/RB flex1 TE1 K1 Dusual scoring with 1 ppr for WR and TE and 0.5 for RBI'm almost sure I'm gonna go RB, WR, WR, WRIf you could start 3-4 solid WRs every week in this system you will score more total points than the 2-3 RB starting teams but my only issue is consitency in a head to head league. I'll kill one week and then a bad passing week by a few teams (weather etc.) could kill me.Manning, Plamer, Brady are all too close projected points wise for me to take Manning in the first.
That team would appear to be more formidable to me had you taken the best RB at 7 instead of Manning. But like I said I have Palmer and Brady very close to Manning this year. Something like thisRound 4. Tom Brady / Marc BulgerRound 11 Ben Roethlisberger QB (PIT) 6Round 1. Willie Parker / Addai RB Round 6. Fred Taylor RB (JAC) 4Round 12 Anthony Thomas RB (BUF) 6Round 13 Kenny Irons RB (CIN) 5Round 2. Steve Smith WR (CAR) 7Round 7. Santonio Holmes WR (PIT) 6Round 8. Jerricho Cotchery WR (NYJ) 10Round 10 Brandon Jones WR (TEN) 4Round 11 Dwayne Jarrett WR (CAR) 7Round 3. Antonio Gates TE (SD) 7Round 9 TE Chris Cooley TE (WAS) 4Round 5. Baltimore Defense DEF (BAL) 8Round 12 Rob Bironas PK (TEN) 4

I have nothing against going against the grain. Last year I went WR-WR from the 12 slot. I have gone RB-RB-RB. Whatever it takes. This year, I'm thinking (picking from the middle of a 12):

Rounds 1 and 2: RB-RB (Get two good ones, in an area where I normally don't like to play games)

Rounds 3 and 4: WR-WR (Should let me get two of the top 15)

Round 5 Best available RB, WR or a top QB, if one falls a bit.

IMO there are some years where you don't even think about attempting this, but this is not one of them. That said, I'm not sure I would seriously entertain this with a QB involved. When I look at the field, it seems that this is an RB 'transition' year. Guys like Jacobs, Lynch, Peterson among others are all in situations where the possibility of finding quick success is there. They are 4th round values approximately right now. Even RB's you find in Round 2 like Portis, Henry, Maroney, Benson, among others have some significant 'wild-card' factors attached to them.A few years ago, I was a big proponent of the 2 stud WR's theory - but you really have to pick your spots if you commit to doing this. Consider that the top WR's we are talking about this year are among the same group we've talked about for a little while now - in some cases, a long while.HarrisonOwensSteve SmithChad JohnsonTorry HoltThe RB position seems more volatile at the top ranks. Not to say it's always turning over but consider last year LT was a clear cut #3 behind Alexander and LJ - now he's an undisputed #1 while Alexander tries to recapture his previous form. Plus, newcomers to the elite level like Gore & SJax show that turnover in the Top 5 RB ranks can occur frequently.As for the inclusion of QB though - I still can't adopt a 'draft one early' mentality or philosophy. There's just so much supply of solid to great QB play. I think that if you dropped the QB option, you could convince yourself that this is a ripe spot to do this.
:goodposting: In thinking this theory through after reading several good ideas, I realize that by the time you get to your draft mid to late August, this picture will look considerably different. The RBBC options in this mock will change after some pre season games, trades and/or injuries. Of course that's expected but I mention it because it makes drafting a successful team more daunting as the ADP will fluctuate. The hot back will be flying off in round 2 or 3 and that might allow for someone unexpected to drop down.If things don't unfold correctly then what do you do? What options will be there after the 4th round? You might find yourself in position that won't allow the value you thought would be there. If I were going to try this I would be sure to use DD and I would take every possible mock and be prepared for the RB well to be dry after 4 rounds. That way I would know what direction to go. Here are some things to consider:1. Are trades allowed? If so what trades might you be able to make in order to create a good trading scenario with 1 or more owners?2. If trades are not allowed can you make an agreement to trade after the draft? If so then you could draft in anticipation if that trade. Perhaps your WR depth will help another team that has good RB depth.3. Plan on tracking your sleeper list carefully for RB possibilities. Make sure you are updated on possible changes from that week's games for possible opportunities. Is there a back up that is in a good situation that might get traded and become a starter or RBBC with significant carries? There are a few teams where that could/may happen.4. Mock your strategy at AntSports/Xperts to see if works out. If it doesn't work there it likely won't when the real deal comes.After all is said and done I would not try this. Why bother? You put yourself in hole from get go and now you are really struggling to find a way out. There's better ways to draft and enjoy it.

Users who are viewing this thread