What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Undocumented Immigrant Thread (2 Viewers)

They did. And 95 progressives voted against. They are extremely angry at Pelosi. But she didn’t have much of a choice; moderates begged her to bring it to a floor and they are still the majority. 

However this shows the difference between Pelosi and the last two GOP speakers, Boehner and Ryan. Whenever those two faced a revolt from their base, they backed down. Every time. They never once forced a vote that their base was going to reject, even when they knew it was good for the country (like the time Boehner allowed the debt ceiling to to expire.) Pelosi is another sort, much more powerful and with more political courage. She knew this had to be done so she did it. She will face a lot of backlash too. 
Yes. I am huge fan of Pelosi taking a short-term political hit while pragmatically moving the country forward. GOP speakers caved to their base. It will pay off in the long term IMO.

I personally took a #####-ton of heat in the Wall thread during the gov't shutdown for advocating this very approach. So big props to her. 👍

Does AOC regret voting Pelosi for Speaker yet?  Is she surprised to see Pelosi doing literally zero to challenge Trump’s concentration camps, except waffle around like she has no power? Of course, they did nothing when it was Obama’s concentration camps either, so she probably shouldn’t be surprised at all.  
This post is a good illustration of why referring to detention facilities as concentration camps isn't helpful.  I mean, of course we shouldn't pay for the government to operate concentration camps.  But paying for the infrastructure to support orderly and humane asylum and immigration proceedings is an important task for the government.

For the sake of clarity @ren hoek please state what you yourself would have done in this situation if you were Nancy Pelosi. tia
What you do is say “no”.  No, we won’t fund your racist concentration camps.  Period.  You don’t just give them $4.5 billion dollars because they said they’re gonna do good this time.  How naive can you possibly be?  

That was the whole point of Dems taking back the House, or so I thought.  To actually stand up against this stuff, not cave to it.

What you do is say “no”.  No, we won’t fund your racist concentration camps.  Period.  You don’t just give them $4.5 billion dollars because they said they’re gonna do good this time.  How naive can you possibly be?  

That was the whole point of Dems taking back the House, or so I thought.  To actually stand up against this stuff, not cave to it.
If you do that, then the message the public gets is that Republicans tried to help the migrants and Democrats blocked it. And you risk losing your majority again in 2020. 

So what do we do with asylum-seekers at the border?  

IMO, our biggest problem is that its considered naive to trust our president.

ren hoek said:
Does AOC regret voting Pelosi for Speaker yet?  Is she surprised to see Pelosi doing literally zero to challenge Trump’s concentration camps, except waffle around like she has no power? Of course, they did nothing when it was Obama’s concentration camps either, so she probably shouldn’t be surprised at all.  
The Great Consoler

timschochet said:
If you do that, then the message the public gets is that Republicans tried to help the migrants and Democrats blocked it. And you risk losing your majority again in 2020. 
What’s the point of having a majority if you’re just going to cave to Trump’s prison  camps and Bolton’s wars anyway?  Aren’t you tired of the dog and pony show?  Nancy Pelosi has the power to help these people here, and she’s giving it all away to the wardens. 

What’s the point of having a majority if you’re just going to cave to Trump’s prison  camps and Bolton’s wars anyway?  Aren’t you tired of the dog and pony show?  Nancy Pelosi has the power to help these people here, and she’s giving it all away to the wardens. 
I think she’s trying to help those people. 

IvanKaramazov said:
So what do we do with asylum-seekers at the border?  
Ideally, we wouldn't have destabilized countries like Honduras, which caused the immigration outflow in the first place.  Given that, it seems the least we could do is give them asylum.  The chickens are coming home to roost.  You can apply the exact same argument to Syria and the Middle East, and the immigration crises that are happening out there, and the Trumps that are getting elected out there.  Until people confront the reason why it happens in the first place (and the fact it was happening long before Trump came along)- endless militarism and overthrows of democratically elected governments- we're gonna get a lot more immigration and a lot more Trumps.  

In lieu of a time machine that can go back and undo hundreds of years of colonialism, I think the appropriate thing is to take them in.  I don't know how you distribute them, and I get that people at the border are more directly impacted by immigration than landlocked states and should probably have a bigger say, and I can't imagine what all the correct answers are.  But this is beyond contempt.  We can and should do a lot better.  If Trump Inc. see fit to treat human beings this way, then they can treat any of us this way.  Shame on them, and shame on Pelosi.  

timschochet said:
Only if the democrats allow that to happen....that's a whole other issue.

Just getting back to the east coast...If there's money allocated to a wall or any of the money can be allocated to a wall, this is a huge fail for Pelosi.  I don't much have a problem with giving money to ICE to do their jobs.  It's always confused me why create these rules/laws then don't provide the resources to enforce them.  Anything to keep us from double paying for immigration enforcement through our taxes.  If this admin chooses to use them in nefarious ways, then it needs to have a light shown on the issue and if the Dems are caught in the frame, sobeit.  That's the price of not standing your ground.  One day, maybe they'll realize that doing the right thing morally goes a long way with a lot of people.  The list of things being "done" for political reasons instead of morally correct reasons seems to be growing and as that list grows, so will the divide in the party.  We've seen this movie before though....we know what's coming if they don't change their course.

Just getting back to the east coast...If there's money allocated to a wall or any of the money can be allocated to a wall, this is a huge fail for Pelosi.  I don't much have a problem with giving money to ICE to do their jobs.  It's always confused me why create these rules/laws then don't provide the resources to enforce them.  Anything to keep us from double paying for immigration enforcement through our taxes.  If this admin chooses to use them in nefarious ways, then it needs to have a light shown on the issue and if the Dems are caught in the frame, sobeit.  That's the price of not standing your ground.  One day, maybe they'll realize that doing the right thing morally goes a long way with a lot of people.  The list of things being "done" for political reasons instead of morally correct reasons seems to be growing and as that list grows, so will the divide in the party.  We've seen this movie before though....we know what's coming if they don't change their course.
I get what you’re saying in principle but I’m just not sure this is the best example of it.

I get what you’re saying in principle but I’m just not sure this is the best example of it.
Best?  Don't know....don't care.  It's certainly an example of laws being created mostly for political purposes then the funding withheld to actually implement the laws.  If you're referring to the second half of my post, at some point, we the people, draw the line.  The politicians aren't going to do it.  They are like water.  They'll take the path of least resistance every time if it means they get to keep their jobs.  I don't know why people don't see that.  If we flipped the script and bring the morally right decision more in line with the politically expedient decision, what do you think will happen?

Best?  Don't know....don't care.  It's certainly an example of laws being created mostly for political purposes then the funding withheld to actually implement the laws.  If you're referring to the second half of my post, at some point, we the people, draw the line.  The politicians aren't going to do it.  They are like water.  They'll take the path of least resistance every time if it means they get to keep their jobs.  I don't know why people don't see that.  If we flipped the script and bring the morally right decision more in line with the politically expedient decision, what do you think will happen?
I just don’t like the implication that somehow the progressive ones in Congress always making the morally right decisions. Just like everyone else they’re doing the safe thing their constituents want. And in this case I’m not clear on what the morally right decision even is.  

Hire A LOT more people and judges to do background checks and process them.  Deny entry to criminals and let the rest pursue the American Dream.
Huh. So, you are saying we should go back to the Ellis Island days, when 99% of the people came through under just such rules? When we were ascending to being the superpower status that we are desperately trying to hold onto today? Your crazy ideas are filled with craziness. We should shun you, and your super obvious logic. 

Did Central and South American immigrants go through Ellis Island to come to this country?

Just to be clear, there were rules regarding immigrants when they passed through Ellis Island. It wasn't just an unmanned turn style. 

I just don’t like the implication that somehow the progressive ones in Congress always making the morally right decisions. Just like everyone else they’re doing the safe thing their constituents want. And in this case I’m not clear on what the morally right decision even is.  
You're trying way to hard to justify the actions here IMO.  I didn't come close to saying this.

Huh. So, you are saying we should go back to the Ellis Island days, when 99% of the people came through under just such rules? When we were ascending to being the superpower status that we are desperately trying to hold onto today? Your crazy ideas are filled with craziness. We should shun you, and your super obvious logic. 
Some would say I'm a dreamer but I'm not the only one. 

PhantomJB said:
Yes. I am huge fan of Pelosi taking a short-term political hit while pragmatically moving the country forward. GOP speakers caved to their base. It will pay off in the long term IMO.

I personally took a #####-ton of heat in the Wall thread during the gov't shutdown for advocating this very approach. So big props to her. 👍
Agreed.  Compromising is how you get things done.  Some love to kick and scream and cry when they don't totally get their way, but give and take is almost always the way to go.  

Did Central and South American immigrants go through Ellis Island to come to this country?

Just to be clear, there were rules regarding immigrants when they passed through Ellis Island. It wasn't just an unmanned turn style. 
The answer is no. Ellis Island for the most part was restricted to white folks  from Europe. We had Asians come, Chinese and Japanese mostly, but we shut that down quickly enough. 

Ellis Island represents a principle of open immigration, and I am very much for that principle, but we never applied it to Hispanics. On the other hand we have very rarely restricted travel between our southern border and Mexico. For most of this nation’s history migrants traveled to and from the USA and Mexico without restriction. Neither our security nor our culture was ever remotely threatened, nor has this ever harmed our economy. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Not really, as Tim pointed out. It was a port for mostly Europeans coming on ships. That was who was immigrating here at the time. 

As for rules, of course, but they still let in most everyone. I’m on vacation, and don’t have time to find a link right now, but they let in around 80% right away, and about 98% eventually, if I remember correctly. They turned away the sick, and some criminals. Overall, I think It worked out pretty well for us. 

This post is a good illustration of why referring to detention facilities as concentration camps isn't helpful.  I mean, of course we shouldn't pay for the government to operate concentration camps.  But paying for the infrastructure to support orderly and humane asylum and immigration proceedings is an important task for the government.
What part of dead kids, no beds, no soap, no toothpaste, no tooth brushes, inadequate food, inadequate medical care, children left in their own filth without clean diapers is orderly or humane again? That is what this admin has done while paying over 700 a day per child for these "detention centers ". Sorry with no guidelines in place to make sure that doesn't continue this was a complete moral cave. And multiple experts define these as concentration camps. Dont like the term? Fix the problem. 

ARE YOU KIDDING? You're trolling us now right. You are a father and you don't know what the morally correct decision was here? Seriously? 

What part of dead kids, no beds, no soap, no toothpaste, no tooth brushes, inadequate food, inadequate medical care, children left in their own filth without clean diapers is orderly or humane again? 
No part of that is humane.  That's the point.  We need better infrastructure to handle immigration, which takes money.

ARE YOU KIDDING? You're trolling us now right. You are a father and you don't know what the morally correct decision was here? Seriously? 
I don’t believe voting against a bill that offered billions of dollars to help alleviate the situation on the border because it didn’t have enough controls over how the money would be spent is necessarily a morally correct decision. Not trolling at all. 

Also word to the wise- I got suspended for a week a few months back for bringing up jon mx’s position as a father in a political discussion. I don’t want to see that happen to anyone else. 

I don’t believe voting against a bill that offered billions of dollars to help alleviate the situation on the border because it didn’t have enough controls over how the money would be spent is necessarily a morally correct decision. Not trolling at all. 

Also word to the wise- I got suspended for a week a few months back for bringing up jon mx’s position as a father in a political discussion. I don’t want to see that happen to anyone else. 
We both know without controls that money will not be properly allocated by this admin. And really you got suspended for that? That's kind of stupid. 

Pretty sure those aren't the kids going without toothbrushes. The 700 a day kids I thought were the ones with A/C and on site medical.
The tent cities cost more than permanent setups. In fact there aren't more kids involved in this they just spend longer in custody. And the cost is also upped by the seperation policy.

Is there any real oversight for how the funds are allocated in the bill and how they are actually spent? Genuinely curious.

We both know without controls that money will not be properly allocated by this admin. And really you got suspended for that? That's kind of stupid. 
There are some controls in that bill. Not enough controls for the progressives. But “without controls” is a hyperbole (like “open borders”). 

There are some controls in that bill. Not enough controls for the progressives. But “without controls” is a hyperbole (like “open borders”). 
There are basically pinkie swears  ut not real controls over standards. And further 100s of million of this has nothing to do with upgrading facilities. So basically Trump and McConnell got what they wanted with Blue dog help. 

There are basically pinkie swears  ut not real controls over standards. And further 100s of million of this has nothing to do with upgrading facilities. So basically Trump and McConnell got what they wanted with Blue dog help. 
Come on NC. Suddenly everybody who is not in the AOC camp is now a blue dog? 

Come on NC. Suddenly everybody who is not in the AOC camp is now a blue dog? 
You might want to actually read about who demanded that Pelosi put through the Senate bill and you might want to check out the Hispanics caucuses extremely negative reaction to doing so before assuming  very much. Dumping the Congressional version was spearheaded by the Blue Dogs.

Is there any real oversight for how the funds are allocated in the bill and how they are actually spent? Genuinely curious.
Guess that depends on what you mean by oversight. 

For example the bill calls for an extra 35 million for transportation of unaccompanied migrant children. It doesn't also say that every tuesday somebody has to present Pelosi with a bag of receipts. The "oversight" the house bill provides is that instead of just a 35 million figure for transportation it is the 35 million and it specifies that at least 12 million of it has to be for medical and legal transportation.  In either scenario If they spent that 35 million on a border wall it would be a misappropriation of funds. But it isn't like the house specifying that at least 12 million must be for medical and legal transportation that it somehow prevents border wall construction. 

Its like saying if you owned a retail chain that you know your clothing purchasing agent cant line his own pockets with funds because you told him that he had a 10 million dollar budget that had to be spent on shirts, 10 million on pants, and 10 million on socks instead of telling him he had 30 million to spend on shirts, pants and socks.  

So the progressive talking points on this are kind of dumb. 

"Pelosi just passed McConnell's anti-immigrant border bill with mostly Republican votes. My god this is bad."

JOSH GOTTHEIMER WARNED DEMOCRATIC LEADERS HE HAD VOTES TO BLOCK BILL MANDATING BETTER CONDITIONS FOR CHILDREN IN DETENTION

JOSH GOTTHEIMER WARNED DEMOCRATIC LEADERS HE HAD VOTES TO BLOCK BILL MANDATING BETTER CONDITIONS FOR CHILDREN IN DETENTION

Aída Chávez, Ryan Grim
June 28 2019, 11:58 a.m.

ON THURSDAY, HOUSE Speaker Nancy Pelosi, boxed in by the Senate and centrist Democrats in her caucus, caved to Republicans on an emergency border funding bill. The Senate bill was put on the floor after New Jersey Rep. Josh Gottheimer, a Democrat and co-chair of the Problem Solvers Caucus, told House leaders he had the votes to scuttle a House version that mandated improved conditions for detained migrant children.

Gottheimer’s attempted power play was first reported by the Washington Post, and confirmed by The Intercept.

“In order to get resources to the children fastest, we will reluctantly pass the Senate bill,” Pelosi wrote in a letter to her colleagues Thursday afternoon. “As we pass the Senate bill, we will do so with a Battle Cry as to how we go forward to protect children in a way that truly honors their dignity and worth.” A spokesperson for Gottheimer didn’t return a request for comment. The caucus had discussed coming out against the House bill at the congressional softball game on Wednesday night, and there was dissent internally, but enough of the so-called Problem Solvers endorsed the strategy to allow it to go forward.

“The children come first,” Pelosi added. “At the end of the day, we have to make sure that the resources needed to protect the children are available. Therefore, we will not engage in the same disrespectful behavior that the Senate did in ignoring our priorities.”

On Wednesday, when asked if House Democrats would take up the Senate version of the legislation, Pelosi said no. Pelosi’s reversal came days after a searing photo, showing the bodies of a migrant father and his young daughter — Óscar Alberto Martínez Ramírez and Angie Valeria — who drowned while trying to cross the Rio Grande, sparked international outrage.

Ezra Levin, a co-founder of grassroots advocacy group Indivisible, was among the many progressive leaders to slam Democrats for buckling. Despite contentious back-and-forths between the progressive and centrist wings of the party, the House passed the unamended Senate bill on an overwhelming 305-102 vote, with 95 Democrats voting no.

Ezra Levin✔@ezralevin

Pelosi just passed McConnell's anti-immigrant border bill with mostly Republican votes. My god this is bad.

The House amendment would have taken away money from Immigration and Customs Enforcement and increased protections for children, among other oversight provisions. The Senate passed its version of the $4.6 billion emergency bill on Wednesday 84-8. A vote on the House version of the spending bill was beaten in the Senate 55-37, largely along party lines, with the 2020 Democratic presidential contenders missing the vote. The Senate’s vote meant House Democrats would have had to hold out to pressure the upper chamber to accept its version, while Gottheimer’s move sapped the House’s leverage. “The quote-unquote Problem Solvers Caucus, I think, threw us under the bus and undermined our position to actually be able to negotiate,” said Rep. Ruben Gallego, D-Ariz.

“Since when did the Problem Solvers Caucus become the Child Abuse Caucus?” asked Wisconsin Rep. Mark Pocan, co-chair of the Congressional Progressive Caucus. “Wouldn’t they want to at least fight against contractors who run deplorable facilities? Kids are the only ones who could lose today.”

Minnesota Rep. Ilhan Omar joined Pocan in slamming the move, saying that a vote for Mitch McConnell’s border bill “is a vote to keep kids in cages and terrorize immigrant communities.”

When asked what Gottheimer’s objection to the House border bill was, Washington Rep. Pramila Jayapal said it came down to “not giving as much ICE money as the Senate did.” She added that a bigger problem stemmed from the Senate Democrats putting them in a “terrible position” in the first place by voting on a bill that “does nothing to hold a rogue agency accountable for its cruelty,” doesn’t have any provisions to “ensure the money actually goes to the children,” or that “these for-profit agencies are held accountable.” She described herself as a “giant no” on the bill.

The Congressional Hispanic Caucus also recommended the House vote against the Senate border spending bill, saying the Republicans “cannot force us to accept this bill, which does not provide necessary guardrails” and allows the Trump administration to “continue denying kids basic, humane care and endangering their lives.”

New York Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez noted that the Senate didn’t even bother negotiating with the House. “We have time,” she said in a tweet. “We can stay in town. We can at LEAST add some amendments to this Senate bill. But to pass it completely unamended with no House input? That seems a bridge too far.”

The House failure led to widespread recriminations. Jayapal, Pocan, the CPC, and the CHC were blamed for urging House Democrats to pull out of negotiations with the Senate earlier this spring; Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer took heat for agreeing to a weak bill that left children vulnerable to abuse; Pelosi was slammed for caving; and Gottheimer’s Problem Solvers Caucus was widely derided for its unhelpful intervention. “The capitulation by the Problem Solvers and the Blue Dogs gave us no leverage here,” said Rep. Raul Grijalva, R-Ariz.

House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer, Majority Whip Jim Clyburn, and DCCC Chair Cheri Bustos voted in favor of the bill, while other members of leadership, including Democratic Caucus Chair Hakeem Jeffries, and Assistant Democratic Leader Ben Ray Luján, who is running for Senate in New Mexico, voted against it.

“We need a bill that delivers funds to end the humanitarian crisis,” Michigan Rep. Rashida Tlaib said on Twitter. “Not funds to continue caging children & deny asylum seekers the help they need. Not funds to continue the harmful policies. If you see the Senate bill as an option, then you don’t believe in basic human rights.”

Guess that depends on what you mean by oversight. 

For example the bill calls for an extra 35 million for transportation of unaccompanied migrant children. It doesn't also say that every tuesday somebody has to present Pelosi with a bag of receipts. The "oversight" the house bill provides is that instead of just a 35 million figure for transportation it is the 35 million and it specifies that at least 12 million of it has to be for medical and legal transportation.  In either scenario If they spent that 35 million on a border wall it would be a misappropriation of funds. But it isn't like the house specifying that at least 12 million must be for medical and legal transportation that it somehow prevents border wall construction. 

Its like saying if you owned a retail chain that you know your clothing purchasing agent cant line his own pockets with funds because you told him that he had a 10 million dollar budget that had to be spent on shirts, 10 million on pants, and 10 million on socks instead of telling him he had 30 million to spend on shirts, pants and socks.  

So the progressive talking points on this are kind of dumb. 
So I have no accountant that actually verifies the amount spent on pants, socks and shirts?

Really given how Facebook has become my question is why the hell is it private to begin with.  Chances are 80% of the stuff they were saying most people have been see on their public pages anyway.  

Users who are viewing this thread