What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Unwanted nickname -- WWYD? (1 Viewer)

What would you do about unwanted nickname

• Don't say anything and let it go

Votes: 43 53.8%
  • Tell the teacher to please refer to her by her name

Votes: 30 37.5%
  • Completely change your child's name on a regular basis to screw everyone up

Votes: 7 8.8%

• Total voters

gianmarco

Footballguy
I'm pretty laid back overall and most things don't bug me. But something of late has been getting to me and I'm curious if any of you would say anything.

In general, I have no problem with nicknames. However, for our 3 kids, we specifically chose names that don't have regular nicknames and we obviously don't use them at all. All 3 have pretty standard names and all are pretty short and easy/conventional names.

My youngest is 3 years old and one of her daycare teachers is constantly shortening her name and it drives me nuts when I hear it. I've yet to say anything because I don't want to be "that parent", but it's getting to the point where I'm considering it because she uses it more than her real name.

So, what would you do?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm pretty laid back overall and most things don't bug me. But something of late has been getting to me and I'm curious if any of you would say anything.

In general, I have no problem with nicknames. However, for our 3 kids, we specifically chose names that don't have regular nicknames and we obviously don't use them at all. All 3 have pretty standard names and all are pretty short and easy/conventional names.

My youngest is 3 years old and one of her daycare teachers is constantly shortening her name and it drives me nuts when I hear it. I've yet to say anything because I don't want to be "that parent", but it's getting to the point where I'm considering it because she uses it more than her real name.

So, what would you do?
Don’t be that parent 

So, what would you do?
Be that parent

So, what would you do?
Do you find a lot of things in general “driving you nuts”? Curious

Not my kid's name, but some examples:

Taylor -- Tay

Ellen -- El

Roger -- Rog

Brian -- Bri
I wouldn't say anything to the teacher because I would assume its probably a "me" thing, but it would probably drive me a little bonkers too, especially if it was a short name to begin with.  

Eh. It’s your kid. This daycare worker likely won’t be in the kids life very long. If you don’t want a nickname to stick that you don’t like it’s your call. 
Meh, as you said, the daycare won't be in the kids life for long

Parents will have many more things to be offended by, no need to die on this hill

What's the teacher's name? I guarantee the board can put something together for you to call her.

Eh. It’s your kid. This daycare worker likely won’t be in the kids life very long. If you don’t want a nickname to stick that you don’t like it’s your call. 
That's why I'd consider saying something.

My wife's sister is the same type of person that has a nickname for everyone. She's the only person that has routinely shortened all my kid's names along with our dogs. It's dumb but she's done it for years and I've never said anything nor ever thought about saying anything. She might visit for a few days and that's it so I don't really care.  My wife and I laugh at it and that's the end of it. 

But my daughter just turned 3 (so no, I haven't asked her if she likes it because, well, she's only 3 and she likes everything) and they spend a decent amount of time with her. I don't want it to stick either with her or any of the other kids in her class.  Listening to it a couple minutes each day isn't why I'd say anything.

It's been going on for 4 months now and I haven't bothered saying anything. That's why I posted here to gauge whether it's worth it or not.

I don’t think it’s a big deal. Their name is still their name and I don’t see the shorter version becoming commonplace because they’re not THAT much shorter.

I don't have a child, so I don't know that paternal instinct, but it seems like a delicate situation. I'd advise caution whatever you decide to do. It does seem important. But sometimes the best nicknames are unwanted, anyway, so there's that. Those usually happen later in life, though. 

Just do what you think in your heart is the right thing to do.  

Obviously this won't be the last time. Are you going to get involved every time? Let it go.

3 years old? She's not going to remember this. If she was 6 or 7 and the nickname had a chance to stick
with other kids calling her that then yes, you could make a something of this. 3? let it go.

Knowing myself, I'd probably get all passive aggressive if it really bugged me. I'd refer to my daughter by her real name immediately after every time the teacher used her shortened name. 

"Tay had a really good day today!"

- "Great! Taylor has really been enjoying daycare."

"Don't forget to show your dad the picture you drew, Tay"

- "I can't wait to see it, Taylor!"

Knowing myself, I'd probably get all passive aggressive if it really bugged me. I'd refer to my daughter by her real name immediately after every time the teacher used her shortened name. 

"Tay had a really good day today!"

- "Great! Taylor has really been enjoying daycare."

"Don't forget to show your dad the picture you drew, Tay"

- "I can't wait to see it, Taylor!"
Along these lines.  Shorten the teacher's name every time you talk to her.

At 3 let it go.  A bit older is when the friends start using it is when it is irreversible.

Reality is so many people I know are known by their nicknames. I have a guy friend who we call snake..because he was a wrestler in HS and slithery.  Well now he is 50 and everybody calls him Snake still and outsiders think it is because he is shady.

That's why I'd consider saying something.

My wife's sister is the same type of person that has a nickname for everyone. She's the only person that has routinely shortened all my kid's names along with our dogs. It's dumb but she's done it for years and I've never said anything nor ever thought about saying anything. She might visit for a few days and that's it so I don't really care.  My wife and I laugh at it and that's the end of it. 

But my daughter just turned 3 (so no, I haven't asked her if she likes it because, well, she's only 3 and she likes everything) and they spend a decent amount of time with her. I don't want it to stick either with her or any of the other kids in her class.  Listening to it a couple minutes each day isn't why I'd say anything.

It's been going on for 4 months now and I haven't bothered saying anything. That's why I posted here to gauge whether it's worth it or not.
So two people have done this?

as I said earlier, it seems like you let a lot of things get under your skin. If that’s happening when the kid is 3, I worry about the next 15 years 

At 3 let it go.  A bit older is when the friends start using it is when it is irreversible.

Reality is so many people I know are known by their nicknames. I have a guy friend who we call snake..because he was a wrestler in HS and slithery.  Well now he is 50 and everybody calls him Snake still and outsiders think it is because he is shady.
This.  Plus her friends will probably give way worse nicknames.

My mother named me Brian so I wouldn't have a nickname.  Unfortunately,  I've had an unending series of nicknames thanks to my friends.  Some of them very unflattering.  The more you fight it, the worse it gets.

Change the ringtone on her phone to rocketman, then everyone will call her something cool, like rocketman!

Don’t be that parent 
This times a million.  Nothing worse than the uptight nerd of a parent who corrects people for calling five-year old Michael "Mikey."  

Uhm, excuse me, it's Michael.

A thousand lols 

Also, anyone in the world who goes by Jonathan should be tarred and feathered.  Thanks for wasting a half second of everyone's life every time we have to address you, for no good reason at all.

Am I the only one who doesn't consider a shortened name to be the same as a nickname?

The dude upthread with a friend named "Snake"? That's a nickname.

Edit: unless his given name is Snakeness. Then it also fails to be a nickname

Users who are viewing this thread