What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

V-Jax pleads guilty to DUI (1 Viewer)

Steed

Footballguy
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Wilson...lty-to-DUI.html

San Diego Chargers wide receiver Vincent Jackson has pleaded guilty to driving under the influence today, a development that's expected to trigger a suspension from the league office.

This marks Jackson's second DUI conviction.

According to 10 News in San Diego, Jackson was sentenced to four days in jail and assigned five years of probation.

Jackson will also be fined $2,408, required to attend a Mothers Against Drunk Driving class and participate in a multiple conviction program as well as abiding by standard alcohol conditions. He was assigned 10 days of public work service.

The presiding judge, David Danielson, issued this comment: "We are going to treat him like everyone else."

Jackson also has a March 2 arraignment for his driving with a suspended license case prior to the Chargers' playoff loss to the New York Jets.

Jackson is a restricted free agent.

And the Chargers will have a decision to make on whether to assign him the high tender or a lower amount while considering the pending NFL discipline that's expected to affect Jackson's status for next season.

Edited: decided not to post this info without hands on knowledge

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing to do with football, but do you not lose your license in CA? (especially for a 2nd offense).
Looks like they are treating him differently. Looks like he got a relaxed jail sentence:CA DUI Penalties

First Offense DUI:

Jail: 4 days - 6 months.

Fines: $390-$1,000 plus penalty assessments.

License Suspension: 4 months suspension. May apply for hardship permit after 30 days. If under the age of 21, 1 year suspension.

Ignition Interlock Device (IID): Court has discretion

Vehicle Impound: Court has discretion

DUI School: 3 months or more if high BAC

Probation: 3 years (informal)

Community Service: some courts permit you to work off fines

Second Offense Plus:

Jail: 90-120 days mandatory jail. No more than 1 year.

Fines: $390 to $1,000

License Suspension: 1 year suspension.

Vehicle Impound: Yes. Vehicle may be seized and disposed if multiple offender.

DUI School: 18-30 months, depending on whether itís a 2nd or 3rd violation.

Probation: 3-5 years informal(no probation officer to report to), OR formal probation if third offense or more.

Community Service: 10 days mandatory as alternative to jail time.

BuckeyeArt said:
Nothing to do with football, but do you not lose your license in CA? (especially for a 2nd offense).
Wasn't his license already suspended? Wasn't that the issue before the playoff game where Rivers had to go get him cuz the cops wouldn't let him drive?

BuckeyeArt said:
Wasn't his license already suspended? Wasn't that the issue before the playoff game where Rivers had to go get him cuz the cops wouldn't let him drive?
It may have been from the automatic suspension when you get pulled for DUI.

BuckeyeArt said:
Looks like they are treating him differently. Looks like he got a relaxed jail sentence:

CA DUI Penalties

Not necessarily.
You're correct. I missed that. It seems odd that 10 days outside of jail would replace 90-120 days in jail. It seems like the numbers should be reversed.
I'm assuming that 10 days of community service doesn't mean 10 8-hour community service shifts, it means 240 hours of community service. Which is a *LOT* of community service. If someone is working 16 hours every weekend, that's almost 4 months worth of community service.Besides, from a "benefit to society" standpoint, it makes sense to make the community service option more appealing. Jailing someone costs a lot of money while providing little benefit. Mandatory community service costs a little bit of money while providing a lot of benefit.

BuckeyeArt said:
Looks like they are treating him differently. Looks like he got a relaxed jail sentence:

CA DUI Penalties

Not necessarily.
You're correct. I missed that. It seems odd that 10 days outside of jail would replace 90-120 days in jail. It seems like the numbers should be reversed.
I'm assuming that 10 days of community service doesn't mean 10 8-hour community service shifts, it means 240 hours of community service. Which is a *LOT* of community service. If someone is working 16 hours every weekend, that's almost 4 months worth of community service.Besides, from a "benefit to society" standpoint, it makes sense to make the community service option more appealing. Jailing someone costs a lot of money while providing little benefit. Mandatory community service costs a little bit of money while providing a lot of benefit.
240 hours would make a lot more sense. And I agree with you on the benefits of community service vs jail time. Jailing VJax would make little sense.

This guy is sooooooooooooooooooooo overrated in FF.
I hear this all the time. Still don't get it.ADP WR~#16. Finished WR~#10. Has progressed from WR53, to WR12, to WR10 over the past three seasons.I think the people that expected him to be better than top-ten are just out to lunch.

This guy is sooooooooooooooooooooo overrated in FF.
I hear this all the time. Still don't get it.ADP WR~#16. Finished WR~#10. Has progressed from WR53, to WR12, to WR10 over the past three seasons.I think the people that expected him to be better than top-ten are just out to lunch.
Don't forget that VJax missed a game, too. Here's how his PPG figure compares to some other big names last year:Brandon Marshall- 11.73Larry Fitzgerald- 11.70Wes Welker- 11.60Reggie Wayne- 11.59Vincent Jackson- 11.45Roddy White- 11.34Sidney Rice- 11.20Those 7 WRs were incredibly tightly clustered (the difference between Marshall and Rice over a 16-game season would be just 8 points), and VJax was right in the middle (4 points behind Marshall per 16 games, 4 points ahead of Rice per 16 games). With that said, I don't think VJax got as much respect for his season as a lot of those other guys did. There were only 4 WRs last year who were demonstrably better than VJax.

SSOG, Do you drop him at all in your rankings? I'm thinking in terms of a 'Matt Jones' type stumble. These two things:

and participate in a multiple conviction program as well as abiding by standard alcohol conditions.
Usually, the person is required to abstain form alcohol during this time. Can he be smart enough, or at least discreet enough, not to get caught for that length of time? Or will he pull a Matt Jones and have a beer on the golf course?

I don't believe in penalizing for the knucklehead factor so I won't be downgrading VJax, but if you are the sort then a second DUI conviction and a likely NFL suspension would mean those who do should downgrade him some.

I don't believe in penalizing for the knucklehead factor so I won't be downgrading VJax, but if you are the sort then a second DUI conviction and a likely NFL suspension would mean those who do should downgrade him some.
If he misses 4 games you should downgrade him accordingly. If he misses the first 4 games he won't finish with 1000 yards.

Can't this guy afford a stretch hummer limo to get him home?

I wonder what his BAC was. Judging from his penalty the first time around I don't think he was over by too much (or he got special treatment), I think he was probably around 0.13 or less.

Why can't I get the guys who get in trouble for speeding tickets? First, Brandon Marshall, now this guy :confused:

If he misses 4 games you should downgrade him accordingly. If he misses the first 4 games he won't finish with 1000 yards.
I was thinking more dynasty. Missing 4 games wouldn't bother me. I'm more concerned with what happens over the next 1-2 years. Can a person with 2 DUIs actually give up alcohol? If he doesn't, I don't see how he doesn't get caught. If he gets caught, I've got to believe the penalty will be harsh, if not from the judicial system, certainly from the league.

I was thinking more dynasty. Missing 4 games wouldn't bother me. I'm more concerned with what happens over the next 1-2 years. Can a person with 2 DUIs actually give up alcohol? If he doesn't, I don't see how he doesn't get caught. If he gets caught, I've got to believe the penalty will be harsh, if not from the judicial system, certainly from the league.
I read an article about how VJax is already in alcohol counseling, and his counselor doesn't believe he has an "alcohol problem", he just as a poor decisions problem, which is reassuring to hear as a VJax owner. I've posted in another thread that I don't want it to seem that I am in any way condoning driving drunk- a good friend of mine in high school was orphaned in a crash with a drunk driver 2 months before graduation. I think driving drunk is a TERRIBLE decision. With that said, I don't think it's an uncommon decision. I feel like most guys in VJax's age range have driven drunk multiple times before. I don't think society really views it as quite as big of a deal as something like domestic violence. As a result, despite my personal feelings towards the violation, "drunk driving" rates pretty low on my "knucklehead scale". It's something to be aware of and wary of, just like JStew owners should be aware of his nagging injuries and Roethlisberger owners should be aware of his mounting concussion problems... but it's not something that's going to cause a big shift in my rankings yet.

BuckeyeArt said:
Only for a few months. Then you become eligible for a restricted license, which allows you to drive to work, to AA meetings (or similar), and to your DUI classes.
BuckeyeArt said:
Most of that looks off to me.
BuckeyeArt said:
I think his tags were expired. I'm sure he has at least a restricted license (allowing him to drive between home, work, AA or similar meetings, and DUI classes).

It seems odd that 10 days outside of jail would replace 90-120 days in jail. It seems like the numbers should be reversed.
Jail time would be rare for a second offense. The ten days of community service doesn't replace jail time; it's a standard condition of probation. (Meaning that if you don't do it, you do end up in jail -- but the sentence is never intended to result in jail time. The defendant is expected to comply with the terms of probation.)It's ten eight-hour days of physical labor.

Usually, the person is required to abstain form alcohol during this time. Can he be smart enough, or at least discreet enough, not to get caught for that length of time? Or will he pull a Matt Jones and have a beer on the golf course?
There's no requirement to abstain from alcohol. He just can't show up to the DUI classes with alcohol on his breath. Drinking on the golf course is fine (although he probably shouldn't operate the cart).

I read an article about how VJax is already in alcohol counseling, and his counselor doesn't believe he has an "alcohol problem", he just as a poor decisions problem, which is reassuring to hear as a VJax owner. I've posted in another thread that I don't want it to seem that I am in any way condoning driving drunk- a good friend of mine in high school was orphaned in a crash with a drunk driver 2 months before graduation. I think driving drunk is a TERRIBLE decision. With that said, I don't think it's an uncommon decision. I feel like most guys in VJax's age range have driven drunk multiple times before. I don't think society really views it as quite as big of a deal as something like domestic violence. As a result, despite my personal feelings towards the violation, "drunk driving" rates pretty low on my "knucklehead scale". It's something to be aware of and wary of, just like JStew owners should be aware of his nagging injuries and Roethlisberger owners should be aware of his mounting concussion problems... but it's not something that's going to cause a big shift in my rankings yet.
Jackson has done some very stupid things on the field. Remember when he pulled a Plaxico and spiked the ball during live play against the Raiders? And just recently when he kicked coach Ryan's challenge flag?Despite that, he's generally regarded as a smart guy. He had a 4.0 grade point average in college, I think, and did well on the Wonderlic.

And despite his DUIs, he's also generally regarded as a high character guy. Or at least he was before the DUIs. They seem to be an isolated pair of incidents (which is a bit of an oxymoron, but you know what I mean).

Jackson has done some very stupid things on the field. Remember when he pulled a Plaxico and spiked the ball during live play against the Raiders? And just recently when he kicked coach Ryan's challenge flag?Despite that, he's generally regarded as a smart guy. He had a 4.0 grade point average in college, I think, and did well on the Wonderlic.And despite his DUIs, he's also generally regarded as a high character guy. Or at least he was before the DUIs. They seem to be an isolated pair of incidents (which is a bit of an oxymoron, but you know what I mean).
Spiking the ball in live play was a "momentary lapse of sanity" moment kind of like Desean Jackson dropping the ball before crossing the goal line (for the second time in his football career). The kicking of the challenge flag always seemed to be blown out of proportion, too- the refs closest to VJax when he did it were laughing and seemingly had no problem with the action, it was a ref well away from VJax who threw the penalty flag. Either way, I don't view either incident as a reflection on VJax's character, work ethic, or anything like that. I agree with you that VJax seems to be a smart, decent guy who happened to do two very, very stupid things that a lot of guys his age do. Maybe he has a bit of growing up still to do, but at 26, I think a lot of people still have a bit of growing up to do. Not trying to make excuses for what he's done- as I've said, on a personal level, I find fewer things more reprehensible than driving drunk- just trying to explain why I don't view him as a big-league knucklehead like a Marshall or an Owens or a Plaxico.

SSOG said:
BuckeyeArt said:
Iwannabeacowboybaby! said:
az_prof said:
Hmm.. I agree that a DUI is a serious offense that is flirted with all too often. I was able to forgive VJax's 1st DUI, but the 2nd is inexcusable imo. He's gone through days and days of having the consequences of a DUI pounded into his head and yet it was simply in one eat and out the other. I generally prefer a WR to be overly arrogant, except in this case. And all that alcohol is surely taking weeks off the end of his Career.

In the end, regardless of his impressive GPA, Vincent Jackson is showing a serious, and dangerous, disconnect with reality here and it definitely should affect his dynasty prospects.

Maurile Tremblay said:
BuckeyeArt said:
Only for a few months. Then you become eligible for a restricted license, which allows you to drive to work, to AA meetings (or similar), and to your DUI classes.
It looks like he gets a 2 year suspension with the opportunity for a restricted license after one year.Link

BuckeyeArt said:
I think it's correct. There are numerous links that say the same thing. In addition, it looks like the judge followed it to the letter.

SSOG said:
BuckeyeArt said:
Iwannabeacowboybaby! said:
az_prof said:
Hmm.. I agree that a DUI is a serious offense that is flirted with all too often. I was able to forgive VJax's 1st DUI, but the 2nd is inexcusable imo. He's gone through days and days of having the consequences of a DUI pounded into his head and yet it was simply in one eat and out the other. I generally prefer a WR to be overly arrogant, except in this case. And all that alcohol is surely taking weeks off the end of his Career.
Yeah, the 2nd one is puzzling. Sure, many people drive under the influence. But if they're caught once, do they keep doing it? This is a red flag, like it or not IMO. VJax obviously learned zero from his first DUI. The point is, to me at least, that he was given a chance to learn from his mistake and made a conscious decision to repeat his crime. And it is a crime. He is a repeat offender. If it was once I would give him the benefit of the doubt. The second time shows a disturbing trend because he was well aware of the consequences and still didn't care. I don't understand how anyone could just brush this aside as nothing. He's going to be suspended, and if he slips up again he'll face a much larger suspension.

The article I read said he was pulled over a few hours before the game with the Jets, is this true? Now that's a story, getting hammered before a playoff game... sounds like either a drinking problem or a negative reaction to pressure.

The article I read said he was pulled over a few hours before the game with the Jets, is this true? Now that's a story, getting hammered before a playoff game... sounds like either a drinking problem or a negative reaction to pressure.
He wasn't DUI before the game, that was for expired tags etc.

In the end, regardless of his impressive GPA, Vincent Jackson is showing a serious, and dangerous, disconnect with reality here and it definitely should affect his dynasty prospects.
:lmao: The old 'book smart, no common sense' rings true again.

Maurile Tremblay said:
There's no requirement to abstain from alcohol. He just can't show up to the DUI classes with alcohol on his breath. Drinking on the golf course is fine (although he probably shouldn't operate the cart).
It looks it's no alcohol. I'm pretty sure it's the same here in VA and wouldn't be surprised if most states haven't adapted the same restriction.DUI School

An 18-month program (commonly referred to as the SB38 program). The judge will impose this class for a "standard" second DUI.
A 30-month program (currently only offered in Los Angeles and Stanislaus Counties). The judge orders this program if your BAC is particularly high in connection with a second DUI or if you are convicted of your third DUI and already completed the 18-month program.While enrolled in any of these programs, you must refrain from using alcohol and/or drugs. If a program leader suspects that you are "under the influence", you face expulsion from the program and, as a result, a probation violation.
This is what would scare me the most. He's got 18 months in this and at least a year without his license. He's already shown that he can't refrain from either.

Maurile Tremblay said:
It looks it's no alcohol. I'm pretty sure it's the same here in VA and wouldn't be surprised if most states haven't adapted the same restriction.DUI School

An 18-month program (commonly referred to as the SB38 program). The judge will impose this class for a "standard" second DUI.
A 30-month program (currently only offered in Los Angeles and Stanislaus Counties). The judge orders this program if your BAC is particularly high in connection with a second DUI or if you are convicted of your third DUI and already completed the 18-month program.While enrolled in any of these programs, you must refrain from using alcohol and/or drugs. If a program leader suspects that you are "under the influence", you face expulsion from the program and, as a result, a probation violation.
This is what would scare me the most. He's got 18 months in this and at least a year without his license. He's already shown that he can't refrain from either.
I've done a few DUI cases in San Diego. The exact rule is that you're not allowed to drink for 24 hours before attending a class. If you get wasted on Tuesday night and show up to a DUI class on Wednesday morning with alcohol still on your breath, you will be kicked out of the program and will have to enroll again. But there's no prohibition against drinking aside from that. Getting wasted on Tuesday night and showing up Thursday morning without alcohol on your breath is perfectly allowed.

Maurile Tremblay said:
BuckeyeArt said:
I think it's correct. There are numerous links that say the same thing. In addition, it looks like the judge followed it to the letter.
Here's where it looks off.For a first DUI, absent other charges (e.g., vehicular manslaughter) I've never heard of anyone serving jail time (aside from spending the night of arrest in jail, but that's before the conviction).

The fine is typically more like $2,000.

I've never heard of someone having to install an ignition interlock device for a first offense.

Probation is always five years, so far as I know.

First Offense DUI:

Jail: 4 days - 6 months.

Fines: $390-$1,000 plus penalty assessments.

License Suspension: 4 months suspension. May apply for hardship permit after 30 days. If under the age of 21, 1 year suspension.

Ignition Interlock Device (IID): Court has discretion

Vehicle Impound: Court has discretion

DUI School: 3 months or more if high BAC

Probation: 3 years (informal)

Community Service: some courts permit you to work off fines

1. he will still get his drunk on but will have a driver/limo from now on

2. this really smells like one of those where the initial suspension will be for like 4-6 games so it looks like the NFL is coming down on him kinda tough.....then it will be "reduced" to 1-2 games on an appeal by the very guy that initially gave him the 4-6 game suspension.....I hate the dog and pony show that is your initial suspension vs what you really end up with....

1. he will still get his drunk on but will have a driver/limo from now on2. this really smells like one of those where the initial suspension will be for like 4-6 games so it looks like the NFL is coming down on him kinda tough.....then it will be "reduced" to 1-2 games on an appeal by the very guy that initially gave him the 4-6 game suspension.....I hate the dog and pony show that is your initial suspension vs what you really end up with....
Without looking it up . . . I think Jared Allen got four games reduced to two games for his second DUI, right?

Yeah, the 2nd one is puzzling. Sure, many people drive under the influence. But if they're caught once, do they keep doing it? This is a red flag, like it or not IMO. VJax obviously learned zero from his first DUI. The point is, to me at least, that he was given a chance to learn from his mistake and made a conscious decision to repeat his crime. And it is a crime. He is a repeat offender. If it was once I would give him the benefit of the doubt. The second time shows a disturbing trend because he was well aware of the consequences and still didn't care. I don't understand how anyone could just brush this aside as nothing. He's going to be suspended, and if he slips up again he'll face a much larger suspension.
I'm not brushing it aside as nothing. Like I said, it's a concern- just like Roethlisberger's concussion issues and JStew's nagging injuries are concerns. It's just not enough of a concern for me to substantially alter VJax's ranking yet.

So does this mean Naanee gets a couple weeks as a starter?
I think Floyd is above him in the depth chart. I've been thinking for a month or so now that the Chargers might place a relatively-low tender on VJax and be glad to get some sort of compensation for him without having to sign him to a high-dollar contract. They have good depth at that position, and the Chargers didn't really slow down much when he was targeted less.

Users who are viewing this thread