What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Vernon Davis (1 Viewer)

The performance of the OL will determine VDs output as much as a shift in game plans. Right now, the OL is a work in progress to be kind and I'd expect that VD will need to continue to help. Bye week filler type role seems far more likely than an elite performance. Late round flyer, sure why not, but I don't see much upside.

Current ADP is 14. Are you willing to forego a Kelce/Olsen/Bennett type and grab him late or too much risk?
No, but I can get Kelce/Olsen/Bennett AND Davis late. No reason to have to choose between those.
Yeah, thats my dilemma. Their ADP could net you an Ellington, Yeldon, or Keenan. I really believe in him this year, but...
I'm finding myself content to double him with late round guys I'm confident belong in the Kelce group anyway. Rich Rodgers, Owen Daniels, et al. I think it's an insanely bad year to spend a mid round pick on a TE, since I see tons of late value indistinguishable from the midrounders (except maybe that the late guys have HIGHER ceilings).

I think he's in for a bounceback season. He seems motivated and is in a contract year. Stevie and Crabtree are gone. The coaching staff is new. If I'm not mistaken, their current OC was the Chargers OC in 1999. That year, the main TE got 76 catches. The addition of Torrie Smith can stretch the defense, allowing VD to get some middle field catches. I'm all in on Davis this year and confident he will produce.

I have moved on mostly. There was just no real positive news from camp at all. I hope he can get things back on track, but there are no signs of it yet.

I have moved on mostly. There was just no real positive news from camp at all. I hope he can get things back on track, but there are no signs of it yet.
You went from loving him to moving on in less than a month. LOL. I bet you are hard to date.

I wouldn't get too anxious over this. This type of thing happens a lot in FF. There is SO much talk about all the new rookies, all the new players going to new teams, etc, that the established veterans are just off the radar. We didn't hear a thing about Tony Romo this year but he'll be fine. Heath Miller didn't get a single tweet probably, but he is what he is. And that's Vernon. We know he's a great athlete and can play and we know the Niners were an absolute train wreck last year but Guys like Vernon and Boldin and Kaap and Hyde are probably ideal buy lows right now because they are really off the radars of a lot of people and in Vernon's case, he IS playing for a contract and that always helps.

I'm not saying he's my must have guy, but I'm definitely looking at him right there in that range after the top 5 or 6 are gone.

He finished top 5 five years in a row before last year's debacle. He scored 13 tds the year before. Contract year. New coaching regime said they will get him the ball. I think there's more of a chance of him finishing top 5 than ww material.

He's done absolutely nothing in preseason. He's a vet, etc. Still not a start that gives you fuzzy feelings.

You went from loving him to moving on in less than a month. LOL. I bet you are hard to date. I wouldn't get too anxious over this. This type of thing happens a lot in FF. There is SO much talk about all the new rookies, all the new players going to new teams, etc, that the established veterans are just off the radar. We didn't hear a thing about Tony Romo this year but he'll be fine. Heath Miller didn't get a single tweet probably, but he is what he is. And that's Vernon. We know he's a great athlete and can play and we know the Niners were an absolute train wreck last year but Guys like Vernon and Boldin and Kaap and Hyde are probably ideal buy lows right now because they are really off the radars of a lot of people and in Vernon's case, he IS playing for a contract and that always helps.

I'm not saying he's my must have guy, but I'm definitely looking at him right there in that range after the top 5 or 6 are gone.
I'm not dating a girl for a month if she's not going to put out even a little. He has shown nothing. Also, I mostly fell for a better looking girls and just went after Gronk.

You went from loving him to moving on in less than a month. LOL. I bet you are hard to date. I wouldn't get too anxious over this. This type of thing happens a lot in FF. There is SO much talk about all the new rookies, all the new players going to new teams, etc, that the established veterans are just off the radar. We didn't hear a thing about Tony Romo this year but he'll be fine. Heath Miller didn't get a single tweet probably, but he is what he is. And that's Vernon. We know he's a great athlete and can play and we know the Niners were an absolute train wreck last year but Guys like Vernon and Boldin and Kaap and Hyde are probably ideal buy lows right now because they are really off the radars of a lot of people and in Vernon's case, he IS playing for a contract and that always helps.

I'm not dating a girl for a month if she's not going to put out even a little. He has shown nothing. Also, I mostly fell for a better looking girls and just went after Gronk.
Hope you have a great job to afford how much the new girl will cost ya :) . High Maintenance there.

I'm hoping for Davis to work out in one of my leagues but I don't feel too confident. I think I have lost faith in Kaepernick more than Davis. I just don't think he is a very good passer.

Rotoworld:

Pro Football Talk's Mike Florio reports 49ers TE Vernon Davis is unlikely to be traded.

Suffering through another down and injury-hampered season, it is unclear how much help Davis would actually offer a contender in need. Florio said interest in Davis could pick up if he proves healthy and effective before the trade deadline, but nothing over the last season suggests that will happen. Davis is questionable for Week 6 with a knee injury.

Oct 17 - 10:46 AM

Source: Pro Football Talk

Rotoworld:

Vernon Davis - TE - 49ers

ESPN 49ers reporter Paul Gutierrez expects Vernon Davis (questionable, knee) to have a big game this week.

"Word around Santa Clara is Davis is primed to make a statement," Gutierrez said. "Expect Davis to be the primary option." The narrative sets up for Anquan Boldin and Torrey Smith to have better weeks against their former team, but the Ravens are coming off a 10/152/1 line to Gary Barnidge. Davis averaged seven targets in his first two games before going down in Week 3.

Source: ESPN.com

Oct 17 - 6:57 PM

I'm hoping for Davis to work out in one of my leagues but I don't feel too confident. I think I have lost faith in Kaepernick more than Davis. I just don't think he is a very good passer.
He's actually a giant pile of crap as a passer.

I'm forced to start him immediately due to bye weeks but not confident in this start. I'm not expecting much early on and not sure if there will be a next year for the duo.

If I'm dynasty I'm selling high. Not sure what "high" means though.

i feel like this guy is going to be really expensive after this week.
I agree because, honestly, all he has to do is show up and get 3-4 targets and do something with it and everyone will be saying very positive things about him as he gets more settled in, weather turns, etc, etc.

If he comes out and bust a big play and does something like 5/55/1, people will be calling him a top 5 for ROS (and probably will be right).

Anyone starting him? Picked him up off waivers last week to cover for Gates thinking he'd at least be start able. Hate to drop him as its a waste of a waiver add, but there's some safer options out there.

Hesitation also comes as we can flex a tight end and if he does end up mixing into the offense more, a Gates/Davis combo could be pretty nice.

Anyone starting him? Picked him up off waivers last week to cover for Gates thinking he'd at least be start able. Hate to drop him as its a waste of a waiver add, but there's some safer options out there.

Hesitation also comes as we can flex a tight end and if he does end up mixing into the offense more, a Gates/Davis combo could be pretty nice.
I have Gates as well, Im about to drop Davis for Ertz. Must win game and I know Ertz gonna at least get some targets and I have no space to hold Davis.

VikingFrog said:
Anyone got the cajones to start this guy today?
He's supposed to get more snaps today but I need to see something more before I can put him in my lineup even in a TE premium league. I can't afford a bagel.

VikingFrog said:
Anyone got the cajones to start this guy today?
In. Really reading some tea leaves on this one because of the Sanders injury concerns and I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel with injuries and bye week so it's a small stretch for me. But, still, I'm in...he's up. Let's see what he can do.

Rotoworld:

Free agent Vernon Davis played only 19 postseason snaps.

Davis' Broncos tenure was as big of a dud as possible. He made huge mistakes in the regular season before being phased out down the stretch. Now 32, Davis remains a rare athlete at tight end, but the finer points of his game have eroded. He'll likely have to settle for a one-year, incentive-laden deal in free agency.

Source: Matt Barrows on Twitter
Feb 8 - 1:29 PM

Kind of an interesting signing.  It's not an absolute terrible reach to think Vernon had just given up on the Niners, never synced with the Broncos in a short time and Jordan Reed might miss time during the year. 

Really, it makes me scratch my head about Niles Paul more than anything.  Before he broke his ankle or whatever last pre-season, weren't people talking like he had taken the job from Reed? 

Kind of an interesting signing.  It's not an absolute terrible reach to think Vernon had just given up on the Niners, never synced with the Broncos in a short time and Jordan Reed might miss time during the year. 

Really, it makes me scratch my head about Niles Paul more than anything.  Before he broke his ankle or whatever last pre-season, weren't people talking like he had taken the job from Reed? 
It wasn't never syncing, he was awful for the Broncos. I am not a Broncos fan, but I watched a few of their games after he signed and he made some just awful drops and not just one, but multiple in a couple games. Any TE is going to get open with DT and Sanders and he looked terrible and it wasn't not knowing the playbook.

I think he is just plain done at this point. For the Redskins, it is an OK depth signing because they had so many injuries and maybe he can play better than he did with the Broncos. That said, FF wise, I don't see him making any meaningful contributions anymore. Reed owners are just going to have to suck any week he's out because Davis won't come close to replicating Reed.

I think Reed owners looking for a handcuff (do people handcuff TEs?) should be remembering Paul and Carrier, whom I believe is still on the roster.  I agree with the thinking that Davis is done.

It wasn't never syncing, he was awful for the Broncos. I am not a Broncos fan, but I watched a few of their games after he signed and he made some just awful drops and not just one, but multiple in a couple games. Any TE is going to get open with DT and Sanders and he looked terrible and it wasn't not knowing the playbook.

I think he is just plain done at this point. For the Redskins, it is an OK depth signing because they had so many injuries and maybe he can play better than he did with the Broncos. That said, FF wise, I don't see him making any meaningful contributions anymore. Reed owners are just going to have to suck any week he's out because Davis won't come close to replicating Reed.
I get what you're saying. It's likely. I guess I am just one of those guys that thinks a little wonky. I imagine myself going to another employer and trying to pick up the nuances of how another department runs the same job but in their own way. Just thought maybe that getting into that rhythm and having confidence, etc, might have made it appear worse than it was. 

But you're likely right. These guys are professional athletes, after all. There must be some dividing line between getting up to speed quickly vs. not appearing you completely lost everything you had and had been doing most your life. 

From a FF perspective, I suppose if I were playing and I had Reed, I'd kick the tires on him cheap, moreso on the history of Reed's health than what we have seen from Vernon lately.

I get what you're saying. It's likely. I guess I am just one of those guys that thinks a little wonky. I imagine myself going to another employer and trying to pick up the nuances of how another department runs the same job but in their own way. Just thought maybe that getting into that rhythm and having confidence, etc, might have made it appear worse than it was. 

But you're likely right. These guys are professional athletes, after all. There must be some dividing line between getting up to speed quickly vs. not appearing you completely lost everything you had and had been doing most your life. 

From a FF perspective, I suppose if I were playing and I had Reed, I'd kick the tires on him cheap, moreso on the history of Reed's health than what we have seen from Vernon lately.
There's being out of rhythm that would lead to say running the wrong route, i.e. the QB throws is where Davis isn't, but this was just plain playing bad. Just throwing out what I saw, which was not a guy lost in a new system but a guy not executing when he was in the right spot with a good throw.

Users who are viewing this thread