What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Vick Staying in Philly (1 Viewer)

Dr. Octopus

Footballguy
ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Eagles have worked out a restructured contract with Michael Vick, and will keep him for 2013.Vick has been re-signed to a "three-year deal" that will void next March 15, ostensibly making it a one-year pact. Per Schefter, Vick could make "up to" $10 million in 2013. He had been set to make $15.5 million in the third season of a six-year, $100 million contract. The news makes Vick the obvious favorite to pilot Chip Kelly's offense, but both FOX's Jay Glazer and the Philadelphia Inquirer believe he may have competition. However, it's doubtful Vick would have foregone a chance at the open market if he wasn't offered assurances he'd likely be under center come Week 1. Vick's playmaking skills have been in steady decline, but he'll still be a highly intriguing fantasy prospect in Kelly's breakneck offense.

Definitely surprised, although the Kelly hiring made this seem more likely. Kelly has gone against the popular opinion of his hiring of coordinators and now bring back Vick(although that seemed to be a 50-50 split among Eagles fans). Vick definitely becomes an interesting fantasy option if Kelly designs more run plays for him than Reid did last year. We'll see if Vick can actually hold up though. A better o-line will go a long way for the entire offense's numbers.

With this news, some hype has to be building around Vick for the 2013 season.I picked him up off waivers near the end of the season in my dynasty league with the thoughts of trading him to a QB needy team if he found work as a starter (which apparently he now has). Is he now worth a 2nd round rookie pick, or would that be asking too much?

With this news, some hype has to be building around Vick for the 2013 season.I picked him up off waivers near the end of the season in my dynasty league with the thoughts of trading him to a QB needy team if he found work as a starter (which apparently he now has). Is he now worth a 2nd round rookie pick, or would that be asking too much?
This would depend on roster sizes, but if I could get Vick/Foles for 2nd/3rd - I'd do it. I'd want Foles, however.And I suppose if I was stacked everywhere but QB, Vick is a nice roll of the dice and I'd move a 2nd for him.

Was hoping for a whole new team makeup. I can see why they brought Vick back but still would rather have 2 bad years in a row and start building for the future. Rip it off like a bandaid

Chip Kelly having a year to create an offense around capitalizing on Vick's strengths and masking his weaknesses (not trying to square-peg-round-hole him like Reid did) is, at a minimum, an intriguing notion. It could flame out horribly, but there is potential there..Besides, pitchers/catchers starts next week-gotta grab those headlines!

Good move by Vick. At 33 and on the downside of his career 10 million is a good wage for one season.

Was hoping for a whole new team makeup. I can see why they brought Vick back but still would rather have 2 bad years in a row and start building for the future. Rip it off like a bandaid
wait, who's to say we can't rebuild while Vick is Qb for a year? Let's say they draft a OL in the first round and they grab Nassib in the second, are you upset about Nassib sitting behind Vick (and perhaps playing because of injury). I'm not, and it's almost my ideal situation right now

wait, who's to say we can't rebuild while Vick is Qb for a year? Let's say they draft a OL in the first round and they grab Nassib in the second, are you upset about Nassib sitting behind Vick (and perhaps playing because of injury). I'm not, and it's almost my ideal situation right now
Was Foles that bad? I could understand if there was a bona-fide QB1 in the draft this year, but to use a second on Nassib after using a third of Foles last year doesn't seem to be a judicious use of draft picks. Second and third round quarterbacks both succeed at similar rates and I don't foresee any scenario where Vick's presence would be beneficial to the development of Foles or Nassib.

Good move by Vick. At 33 and on the downside of his career 10 million is a good wage for one season.
From what was said today by Albert Breer, Vick is really only guaranteed the $3.5M bonus. If he doesn't win the starting job, he'll be cut before the season. If he makes the team, that's an additional $3.5M. $1M more if he is plays 90% of the plays, $500k in incentives and $1.5M if he starts and wins the Super Bowl.

Was Foles that bad? I could understand if there was a bona-fide QB1 in the draft this year, but to use a second on Nassib after using a third of Foles last year doesn't seem to be a judicious use of draft picks. Second and third round quarterbacks both succeed at similar rates and I don't foresee any scenario where Vick's presence would be beneficial to the development of Foles or Nassib.
I'm sorry, I think I needed to say I think Foles will find his way to Kansas City fairly cheaply, maybe a 3rd round draft pick. I just think that Kelly is going to bring in his type of player to run the offense and Foles doesn't fit,

'Tackling Dummies said:
'Bigboy10182000 said:
'Tackling Dummies said:
Great opportunity to spin Vick off in a deal with his deal done. :popcorn:
Still getting value from 2010?
Short term + affordable contract + desperate teams :confused:
Are you referring to an NFL or FFL deal? From what I've heard, the Eagles' brass won't deny a trade can still happen. His new contract is more "trade friendly". He'll probably remain the Eagles' QB however up until his 2013 injury.

'eefflrat said:
'Gawain said:
'eefflrat said:
I'm sorry, I think I needed to say I think Foles will find his way to Kansas City fairly cheaply, maybe a 3rd round draft pick. I just think that Kelly is going to bring in his type of player to run the offense and Foles doesn't fit,
Agreed. I loved what I saw from Foles in the preseason, and while his first two regular season games were kind of brutal he showed good progress, but the bottome line is that Kelly isn't going to abandon his offensive style to suit Foles. Kelly was hired because of the offensive system he runs and Foles is about the abolute worst QB for that system. Foles is lumbering and even looks slow when handing the ball off. It's just not a fit that can work.

'eefflrat said:
'Gawain said:
'eefflrat said:
My guess is it's 51/49 % that Kolb is the choice in KC

'Tackling Dummies said:
'Bigboy10182000 said:
'Tackling Dummies said:
Great opportunity to spin Vick off in a deal with his deal done. :popcorn:
Still getting value from 2010?
Short term + affordable contract + desperate teams :confused:
Are you referring to an NFL or FFL deal? From what I've heard, the Eagles' brass won't deny a trade can still happen. His new contract is more "trade friendly". He'll probably remain the Eagles' QB however up until his 2013 injury.
Referring NFL.

'eefflrat said:
'Gawain said:
'eefflrat said:
Kolb? Or did you mean Foles? I think Reid would pursue Foles before Kolb, too many injuries for Kolb to take a chance on.

Just grabbed Vick in the 14th round of a dynasty start-up. I hope Kelly joins the read-option bandwagon ... Go go gadget Vick!

I don't get it. :no:
But 35.5 mil of his original 100mil contract was guaranteed. That's what I'm not getting. So his last 4 years had to have more than 10 mil guaranteed? Right? Seems like he's essentially taking less money than if he didn't playI'm in the same boat. How does Philly work a deal like this? And what's in it for Vick? He gives up 4 years at like 15-20 a year for a one year deal at 10? Really?! I know football players aren't smart but really?
He didn't give up 4 years at 15-20. He never would've seen any of that money if he didn't restructure as Philadelphia would have released him.

Kolb? Or did you mean Foles? I think Reid would pursue Foles before Kolb, too many injuries for Kolb to take a chance on.
No, I meant Kolb. Big Red doesn't have the same connection and confidence in Foles as he does Kevin. If Foles goes there, it will be because AR didn't get Kolb trade details worked out or he found someone else to build on. Foles would be about option 4 or 5.As far as KK's health, he's in great shape. He wasn't getting injured because of his health, he was getting injured because it's hard to throw a pass in 1.9 seconds. That won't be the case behind a KC o-line.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm in the same boat. How does Philly work a deal like this? And what's in it for Vick? He gives up 4 years at like 15-20 a year for a one year deal at 10? Really?! I know football players aren't smart but really?
He didn't give up 4 years at 15-20. He never would've seen any of that money if he didn't restructure as Philadelphia would have released him.
But 35.5 mil of his original 100mil contract was guaranteed. That's what I'm not getting. So his last 4 years had to have more than 10 mil guaranteed? Right? Seems like he's essentially taking less money than if he didn't play
It probably wasn't all guaranteed. NFL contracts are rarely equal to their initial reported numbers. For example, Vick's old contract could have had a significant amount of money guaranteed for injury, but not for skill (meaning he wouldn't receive it if he was released for refusing to restructure). So while that money could technically be correctly labeled as 'guaranteed', in reality it's not actually fully guaranteed.

But 35.5 mil of his original 100mil contract was guaranteed. That's what I'm not getting. So his last 4 years had to have more than 10 mil guaranteed? Right? Seems like he's essentially taking less money than if he didn't playI'm in the same boat. How does Philly work a deal like this? And what's in it for Vick? He gives up 4 years at like 15-20 a year for a one year deal at 10? Really?! I know football players aren't smart but really?
Eagles would have owed him about $3.5 million if he were cut. The 35.5 guaranteed was mostly paid during the first 2 years.

Eagles would have owed him about $3.5 million if he were cut. The 35.5 guaranteed was mostly paid during the first 2 years.
Thanks. That makes sense

Rotoworld:

After studying Michael Vick's 2012 plays and Chip Kelly's Oregon offense, ESPN's Ron Jaworski gets the "initial sense" that Kelly's system will fit Vick "very well."
Jaws called Vick "the most talented quarterback on the Eagles' roster" and hinted he expects Vick to beat out Nick Foles. "Here's the positive as the Eagles transition to Kelly's shotgun-spread attack:" Jaworski stated. "Vick was outstanding in the two-minute offense last season with a QB rating of 98. I am going to be fascinated to see Vick in Chip Kelly's up-tempo speed offense." Vick will be an intriguing, boom-or-bust QB2 pick in fantasy leagues.

my favorite part of every year is when fans get to think that this will be the year that mike vick will do good its like my kids when they did not know that santa was not real it just sort of makes me smile inside a little bit for the olden days brohans

Rotoworld:

CSN Philly contends that Michael Vick "has the toughest road to the starting job" in the Eagles' quarterback competition.
His one-year, $7.5 million salary — which includes a $3.5 million signing bonus — disagrees. Beat writer Geoff Mosher zeroes in on Vick's age (33) and salary as factors working against him, but we'd argue the $3.5 million guarantee the Eagles made in February very much works in his favor. We suppose the Eagles could decide to save $4 million by cutting Vick or demanding a pay-cut if he doesn't show well in camp, but it's unlikely. Coach Chip Kelly has done his best to create an air of uncertainty about his quarterback race, but Vick is still the favorite.

Related: Nick Foles

Source: CSN Philly

Rotoworld:

CSN Philly contends that Michael Vick "has the toughest road to the starting job" in the Eagles' quarterback competition.
His one-year, $7.5 million salary — which includes a $3.5 million signing bonus — disagrees. Beat writer Geoff Mosher zeroes in on Vick's age (33) and salary as factors working against him, but we'd argue the $3.5 million guarantee the Eagles made in February very much works in his favor. We suppose the Eagles could decide to save $4 million by cutting Vick or demanding a pay-cut if he doesn't show well in camp, but it's unlikely. Coach Chip Kelly has done his best to create an air of uncertainty about his quarterback race, but Vick is still the favorite.

Related: Nick Foles

For Rotoworld to give Foles "an outside shot" to win the starting job tells me they're not paying attention.

Here's what Mosher actually wrote, from the article linked by Rotoworld:

Q. Do you feel [Nick] Foles has a better chance than [Mike] Vick still?

A. I really do. Months ago, I felt Vick had the best chance to start.

Vick drops to 25 on Jaws' QB countdown

By Dan Graziano | ESPN.com

Our man Ron Jaworski is engaged once again in his annual "QB countdown," in which he ranks the top 32 NFL quarterbacks in order and reveals one per day until he gets to No. 1. Last year, since Jaws didn't include rookies in his rankings, we were able to wait until deep into the countdown before the NFC East was affected. This year, not so much.

Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Michael Vick, who ranked 12th on Jaws' list last year, is at No. 25 this year:

"Vick is coming off of a disappointing 2012 season, but all will be different in Philadelphia with a new head coach in Chip Kelly. And I’m certain of one thing -- Vick is the most talented quarterback on the Eagles roster. Vick remains a dynamic player with top-level arm strength and unmatched movement ability to extend plays with his legs. Few can spin it as well as number 7, especially on the run. Kelly will look at Vick and see a multidimensional quarterback that can pressure a defense in a variety of ways.

“Vick can get to the edge and outflank the defense, he can beat you from the pocket with an explosive vertical arm that can lift the top off the coverage, and he presents multiple options in the red zone with his movement. The concern of course, is turnovers. Vick had far too many in 2012. Fifteen of them in 10 games; four of those 15 came in the red zone.

“Here’s the positive as the Eagles transition to Kelly’s shotgun, spread attack. Vick was outstanding in the two-minute offense last season with a quarterback rating of 98. I am going to be fascinated to see Michael Vick in Chip Kelly’s up-tempo-speed offense. My initial sense is it will fit Vick very well, less volume offensively, but also defensively. I would not be surprised if Vick ends the season better than my 25th-rated quarterback.”

Sure, and neither would anyone else. But there Vick sits nonetheless, likely as a nod to the possibility that he begins the season as the Eagles' second- or third-rated quarterback behind Nick Foles and/or Matt Barkley. Obviously, Jaws' first sentence there indicates that neither Foles nor Barkley is in his top 24, but we all feel pretty confident that talent alone won't hand Vick the job if he doesn't show during training camp an ability to limit turnovers, get rid of the ball quickly and make good, smart, safe decisions at the helm of Kelly's offense.

I'm on record as saying I think Vick will win the job out of camp, since I think he's considerably better than the other options Kelly has. But after what he's shown the past two years, it's hard to argue too strongly against a ranking like this on a list like this one.

Rotoworld:

CSN Philly's Geoff Mosher suggests Michael Vick could be a "roster casualty" if Eagles coach Chip Kelly is "sold" on Nick Foles.
Mosher is pushing the idea that Foles is the favorite in the QB competition pretty hard, and he's not alone. He suggests Vick as a surprise preseason cut if Kelly is sold on Foles "and the promise of Matt Barkley." The Eagles would have to swallow Vick's $3.5 million signing bonus to part ways, but could take themselves off the hook for $4 million more in salary and roster bonuses.

Rotoworld:

Coach Chip Kelly referred to quarterback mobility as merely an "added bonus."
Many thought Kelly's offense required a highly athletic quarterback, but that theory went out the window when he drafted Matt Barkley. "If the fact they have the ability to run, I believe that's an added bonus, but that's not the precursor to what we do," he said. If Michael Vick is going to win the starting job during training camp, he's going to have to show accuracy and quality decision-making. Those have been two of his biggest problem areas over the last two seasons.

Related: Matt Barkley, Nick Foles

Source: Philadelphia Inquirer & Daily News

Rumors swirling that out of OTAs and going into training camp that it's Foles in the lead for the starting QB. Starting to think more and more Vick is a goner but camp will tell the tale.

Users who are viewing this thread