What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Wait is Trump seriously scheduling a military parade like those loopy North Koreans always do??? (1 Viewer)

My local parades have always had tanks and other military vehicles...it’s pretty basic...

In my youth, in small town America, in the 60's our 4th of July and Memorial Day parades featured the school bands, elementary through high school, a piece or two of emergency response equipment and the volunteers who operated them (We did not have full time employees of Fire or Police departments), an operational historical steam tractor, kids on bikes who had decorated them with crepe paper and flags, and the vets from the area, mostly WWII and Korean war Vets but some from WWI, marching in formation, by service, wearing the remnants of their uniforms. It was not solemn, it was celebratory, but also cautionary as many were severely wounded, permanently, by their service.  Still, they were proud to march and when they passed bye we showed them respect.  The parades always ended at the American Legion hall.  There the Vets served up hot dogs and brats, orange soda, chips, cake, and ice cream sandwiches.  We kids looked forward to that before getting on about our 4th of July business with our family and friends.  It was a home grown community event.  It was not staged propaganda by a central government.  It was Norman Rockwell. 

Later there were games and contests at the municipal grounds and pool.  We kids might earn a prize or two, some coins, a gold fish in a bag, a small trophy for swimming, diving, running, throwing and of course the big turtle race and frog jumping contest. There was more BBQ.  There were a few fire crackers set off to the consternation of adults.  Local bands played at the band stand, mostly poorly but some quite good.  At dusk, fireworks and then a walk home along the creek which we pronounced crick.  There were fireflies in the sky and raccoons moving from the woods to pick the fallen food at the municipal grounds.  Often the deer were stirring.
How about vets rom the Vietnam war? 

Yep.  We had a few returning, but very few.  They came later.
Yeah I was probably 10 years later and we had some Vietnam vets. But people have to remember a lot of those guys really just wanted to forget Vietnam and didn't really do the all parade kind of thing. They were usually in the crowd maybe with a hat on that would let you know they served. We treated them with the same respect we gave any of the guys who were all dressed up in the parade. They all did their duty and they were all worthy of our respect is what we were taught.

I remember seeing tanks rolling through the streets of DC in the wake of 9/11, and hoping that I’d never witness that again in my lifetime.  Glad that I’m out of town on vacation this week. Pictures are disgusting enough.

How about vets rom the Vietnam war? 
The first Viet Nam vet I remember was a neighbor.  He was a good and gentle soul in the body of a very powerful man.  He was the older brother of a friend.  He returned in 1970.  I found out later that he had a substantial heroine addiction.  Before going he was vibrant, social.  Upon returning all he did was load his dog into a canoe, paddle to the middle of our lake and sit, all day, speaking to no one, even when approached.  The only person I saw him speak to for two years was my kid sister.  He would paddle bye every day and stop and speak to her.  She was  6 years old.  I remember asking my Dad if he had any concerns about the 22 year old man, uncommunicative to anybody, speaking daily to his 6 year old daughter.  He said "No".  He said Brian was a gentle soul, a trusted neighbor, and a friend of our family and he had no concerns. 

After Brian other siblings of friends started returning.  Then it was our turn to think about that war and that draft.  Fortunately for me 1974 came before I was 18.  I did not have to face that draft or those decisions.  I was gone then from that rural small town.  The traditions went on without me.  Did the parades go on, the faces of the vets change, I presume so, but I was not an observer of those times, I know them only second hand. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Tanks on streets in D.C.  Surreal.   Stealing from the National Parks to pay for it.  

How can anyone support this narcissistic wannabe dictator.  

This is not normal in a functioning democracy.  
but look at all of the libs going crazy!!!  

In my youth, in small town America, in the 60's our 4th of July and Memorial Day parades featured the school bands, elementary through high school, a piece or two of emergency response equipment and the volunteers who operated them (We did not have full time employees of Fire or Police departments), an operational historical steam tractor, kids on bikes who had decorated them with crepe paper and flags, and the vets from the area, mostly WWII and Korean war Vets but some from WWI, marching in formation, by service, wearing the remnants of their uniforms. It was not solemn, it was celebratory, but also cautionary as many were severely wounded, permanently, by their service.  Still, they were proud to march and when they passed bye we showed them respect.  The parades always ended at the American Legion hall.  There the Vets served up hot dogs and brats, orange soda, chips, cake, and ice cream sandwiches.  We kids looked forward to that before getting on about our 4th of July business with our family and friends.  It was a home grown community event.  It was not staged propaganda by a central government.  It was Norman Rockwell. 

Later there were games and contests at the municipal grounds and pool.  We kids might earn a prize or two, some coins, a gold fish in a bag, a small trophy for swimming, diving, running, throwing and of course the big turtle race and frog jumping contest. There was more BBQ.  There were a few fire crackers set off to the consternation of adults.  Local bands played at the band stand, mostly poorly but some quite good.  At dusk, fireworks and then a walk home along the creek which we pronounced crick.  There were fireflies in the sky and raccoons moving from the woods to pick the fallen food at the municipal grounds.  Often the deer were stirring.
This was very similar to the 4th of July celebrations we had in my town of Dormont in the 60s.  The greatest thing was making the LL All-Star team and getting to walk in the parade in my uniform.   I don't think I've had a prouder moment of myself in my life.

The first Viet Nam vet I remember was a neighbor.  He was a good and gentle soul in the body of a very powerful man.  He was the older brother of a fiend.  He returned in 1970.  I found out later that he had a substantial heroine addiction.  Before going he was vibrant, social.  Upon returning all he did was load his dog into a canoe, paddle to the middle of our lake and sit, all day, speaking to no one, even when approached.  The only person I saw him speak to for two years was my kid sister.  He would paddle bye every day and stop and speak to her.  She was  6 years old.  I remember asking my Dad if he had any concerns about the 22 year old man, uncommunicative to anybody speaking daily to his 6 year old daughter.  He said "No".  He said Brian was a gentle soul, a trusted neighbor, and a friend of our family and he had no concerns. 

After Brian other siblings of friends started returning.  Then it was our turn to think about that war and that draft.  Fortunately for me 1974 came before I was 18.  I did not have to face that draft or those decisions.  I was gone then from that rural small town.  The traditions went on without me.  Did the parades go on, the faces of the vets change, I presume so, but I was not an observer of those times, I know them only second hand. 
Whatever happened to Brian?

Whatever happened to Brian?
I don't know.  I moved away from home and my family shortly thereafter sold that home.  I naturally started to lose touch with Brian and hist family.  My main connection to the family was the boy more or less my age.  He, my friend died shortly thereafter from a terminal disease, I no longer recall which disease.  Once that happened my connections were severed.  For all I know Brian is out there still, probably in a different canoe and on his 7th or 8th dog since that time.  I hope he did well.  I hope he recovered.  Heroine is a tough nut to get past as is PTSD, but I like to think that he recovered, had a full life, and is now retired on that lake which he was using for healing.

Ditkaless Wonders said:
In my youth, in small town America, in the 60's, our 4th of July and Memorial Day parades featured the school bands, elementary through high school, a piece or two of emergency response equipment and the volunteers who operated them (We did not have full time employees of Fire or Police departments), an operational historical steam tractor, kids on bikes who had decorated them with crepe paper and flags, and the vets from the area, mostly WWII and Korean war Vets but some from WWI, marching in formation, by service, wearing the remnants of their uniforms. It was not solemn, it was celebratory, but also cautionary as many were severely wounded, permanently, by their service.  Still, they were proud to march and when they passed bye we showed them respect.  The parades always ended at the American Legion hall.  There the Vets served up hot dogs and brats, orange soda, chips, cake, and ice cream sandwiches.  We kids looked forward to that before getting on about our 4th of July business with our family and friends.  It was a home grown community event.  It was not staged propaganda by a central government.  It was Norman Rockwell. 

That's like a 4th of July in a Michael Bey movie. 

That's like a 4th of July in a Michael Bey movie. 
I grew up inside of a Norman Rockwell painting.  I was a Mark Twain character, a Will Rogers aphorism.

I grew up in Mayfield next to the Cleavers, or more aptly maybe in Mayberry, a bit on the outskirts.  My life's history bears no resemblance to 99% of America and certainly not the world.   We had everything, at least by world standards, clean water, a roof over our heads, enough to eat, heat, medical care, and safety.  My family never contemplated life as  refugees, never. 

The beauty of a night-time fireworks celebration?  You can't measure the crowd size!  It will be the most people in Washington in the history of the world!!!

Don Quixote said:
I remember seeing tanks rolling through the streets of DC in the wake of 9/11, and hoping that I’d never witness that again in my lifetime.  Glad that I’m out of town on vacation this week. Pictures are disgusting enough.
I was in D.C. for that and am in full agreement with the sentiment and lament of your post. This should not be happening. Ever. 

The article doesn't seem to match the headline..
The Pentagon delegation invited to join President Donald Trump on the National Mall for July Fourth includes acting Defense Secretary Mark Esper, Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman Gen. Joseph Dunford and a variety of top civilian officials and officers from the military services — but not the service chiefs for the Army, Navy, Air Force or Marine Corps.
It's true it says 'not invited' not 'skipping' but then my guess is the WH didn't invite those who would not attend.

Frankly the only surprise here is that Dunford is attending. This is shaping up as a political event and really military leadership should not be there.

The Joint Chiefs of Staff chairman us a political appointee directly from the white house, correct?  What about the service chiefs from the branches?  Also direct appointees?

Bill Maher on Trump's 4th of July celebration:

'The president's remarks on the 4th will be apolitical' they say.

Let me guess: No collusion, no obstruction, Sleepy Joe, fake news, witch hunt, nobody thought I could get to 270, lock her up...and, oh yeah, happy birthday America.

Frankly the only surprise here is that Dunford is attending. This is shaping up as a political event and really military leadership should not be there.
It's a nominated/confirmed position by the president/senate.  They have no authority over the military actions.  It's a political position, so to me, it makes sense that he's there and his presence only strengthens the evidence behind this being a political stunt using our military as a backdrop for the ####show.  It's disgusting but completely expected.

Users who are viewing this thread