What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Waiver Wire Defenses - Playoffs Edition (2 Viewers)

No one's really mentioned it but Flynn under center seems like a great defensive matchup. Detroit was the play of last week.

Atlanta does not look like a good play any week, but this could be the flipside if Rodgers stays out (which believe me I would very much like him in).

Rams defense was dropped in my league. How would y'all rank them for the playoffs compared to the teams mentioned in this thread (@Ari, NO, TB). The NO game is obviously out.

Rams defense was dropped in my league. How would y'all rank them for the playoffs compared to the teams mentioned in this thread (@Ari, NO, TB). The NO game is obviously out.
I picked them up as my Carolina fill-in Week 14/16. Don't totally love the Arizona matchup, just because I think the Cards win and I never like to go with a losing team, but I figure Rams D is semi-legit, and Palmer's always good for a pick or two. Plus, if you get return yardage/TDs, Austin is always a threat to break one off.

I'm hanging onto the Bills, but as a Bills fan, I know them... So I don't trust them this week.

Baltimore was on the WW, so despite last weeks goose egg, I'll roll them out at home vs Minnesota

I'm going with Arizona for this week. I picked them up for a couple weeks before and they have been solid at home and if it weren't for a bad fumble near the goal line, they would have been even better. None of the other matchups give me a warm and fuzzy. I don't like picking up teams like Oakland that score very little so far. I picked up Miami for last week because I liked how they pressured Cam and figured they would maul Geno. Oakland didn't look the same against Romo, so I wouldn't trust them to maul anyone. Arizona has been a top D, so combine that with a decent matchup and I'm in. Also, Arizona's run D is the best part of their D and that matches up better with the better part of St. Louis' O.

Kool-Aid Larry said:
Detroit?

• 14: at Eagles (Rank: 11th)
  • 15: vs Ravens (Rank: 25th)
  • 16: vs Giants (Rank: 32nd)
They will be fighting for the division title and playing at home 2 weeks out of 3. Their potential value may depend upon your scoring settings. (I expect them to accrue sacks and turnovers but also allow yards and points.)
their secondary makes me very nervous, but ravens and giants are both kind of crummy offenses with sketchy o-lines.

eli manning is one pick behind geno for the league lead, at 18, and flacco isn't far behind in 5th with 14.

also, both of those are home games, where det seems much stronger.

DET def posting lowest snap totals the last 2 weeks -- here's their snap counts from week 7 on:

wk7 v CIN 57, wk8 v DAL 57, BYE, wk10 @CHI 75, wk11 @PIT 77, wk12 v TB 52, wk13 v GB 43

ansah was injured weeks 8 - 11

to put that in perspective, an average snap count might be around 67

as comparison, here are snaps for seattle's def over the same week 7-13 period --- sea is typically one of the lower snap totals week to week.

75 76 69 58 74 BYE 60

edit:

I looked up a couple more stats

balt is 4th in sacks allowed at 39, with nyg around average at 31

balt is second worst in yards/play at 4.6 -- just behind jacksonville's 4.5

giants are 7th worst at 5.1
Starting to warm to DET myself... not sure I can convince myself to play them this week (vs. PHI) over Houston, but I like how they're coming on strong, and they accumulate TOs and sacks aplenty. Past Philly, who's really scary on that schedule?

Ever Present Lurker said:
I'm hanging onto the Bills, but as a Bills fan, I know them... So I don't trust them this week.
I'd be more worried if the Bucs were letting Glennon sling it a little. But they have gone ultra-conservative lately. Their whole approach seems to be to do everything entirely possible to avoid putting Glennon in a position to try and win the game.

Kool-Aid Larry said:
Detroit?

They will be fighting for the division title and playing at home 2 weeks out of 3. Their potential value may depend upon your scoring settings. (I expect them to accrue sacks and turnovers but also allow yards and points.)
their secondary makes me very nervous, but ravens and giants are both kind of crummy offenses with sketchy o-lines.

eli manning is one pick behind geno for the league lead, at 18, and flacco isn't far behind in 5th with 14.

DET def posting lowest snap totals the last 2 weeks -- here's their snap counts from week 7 on:

wk7 v CIN 57, wk8 v DAL 57, BYE, wk10 @CHI 75, wk11 @PIT 77, wk12 v TB 52, wk13 v GB 43

as comparison, here are snaps for seattle's def over the same week 7-13 period --- sea is typically one of the lower snap totals week to week.

75 76 69 58 74 BYE 60

edit:

Starting to warm to DET myself... not sure I can convince myself to play them this week (vs. PHI) over Houston, but I like how they're coming on strong, and they accumulate TOs and sacks aplenty. Past Philly, who's really scary on that schedule?
I don't think I could play them on the road @PHI.

a few weeks ago, HOU seemed like a good match up @JAX, but I'm starting to think HOU is softer than I gave them credit for, and maybe JAX is a little better.

I'm not convinced HOU def scores any more than JAX def this week.

I don't think I could play them on the road @PHI.

a few weeks ago, HOU seemed like a good match up @JAX, but I'm starting to think HOU is softer than I gave them credit for, and maybe JAX is a little better.

I'm not convinced HOU def scores any more than JAX def this week.
Probably fair on HOU - but I feel like the floor is pretty high for Houston given the opponent and a Thursday night matchup, which usually favors the Ds. Heck a couple weeks ago even NO looked pretty mediocre against a pretty bad ATL DST.

Other options in my league are DET, PHI, BUF, NO, JAX -- can't bring myself to touch the DET/PHI matchup, won't start JAX, and NO is scary against a strong Carolina team.

That leaves BUF as an option, but they just gave up 34 points to a pretty mediocre Falcons team. I'm not saying the Bucs are better, and BUF did tally a bunch of sacks in the process... but there's risk there too.

Not feeling that Detroit call. You have to ask yourself do you trust Schwartz not to #### it up. My gut tells me heck no!
No one is advocating them this week (at least KAL and I are not)... but against BAL and the NYG... neither one of those teams scares me a ton.

Wouldn't play them this week against Philly though... no thanks.

Ever Present Lurker said:
Baltimore was on the WW, so despite last weeks goose egg, I'll roll them out at home vs Minnesota
Ponder has been ruled out for this weekend as he has not passed his concussion test, so Cassell is said to be starting...aside from the Carolina beat down he's played pretty well when given the chance. Not saying BAL is a bad play...but might want to temper your enthusiasm a bit.

For the truly desperate, anyone considering the Denver D this week?

I've got SF (vs SEA) and BUF (@TB)...really don't like either.

Denver is at home facing a mistake prone Fitz.

And it is going to be cold. Very cold.

Thinking of rolling the dice against a TN team that probably wants no part of Denver offense or weather.

Anyone gonna grab like three DST and play keep away this year? I would have to drop Ellington/P. Harvin/Ivory and I am considering this route. Is that too bold?

Anyone gonna grab like three DST and play keep away this year? I would have to drop Ellington/P. Harvin/Ivory and I am considering this route. Is that too bold?
I've done it before, but probably won't this year, because I'd have to drop the likes of TY Hilton or Ray Rice, which I admit is mostly a psychological thing.

In your case, I would drop any three of those guys. I guess hold on to Harvin until he gets ruled out, but I could totally see Seattle being very conservative with him even if he does play. I really don't see any of them coming back to haunt you.

I've done it before, but probably won't this year, because I'd have to drop the likes of TY Hilton or Ray Rice, which I admit is mostly a psychological thing.

In your case, I would drop any three of those guys. I guess hold on to Harvin until he gets ruled out, but I could totally see Seattle being very conservative with him even if he does play. I really don't see any of them coming back to haunt you.
Thanks, this psychological aspect is a strange thing to worry about since if I lose then I lose , but if I lose due to dropping a player and an opponent picks them up then it's like... I super lose :(

Thanks, this psychological aspect is a strange thing to worry about since if I lose then I lose , but if I lose due to dropping a player and an opponent picks them up then it's like... I super lose :(
Right, although how appropriate would it be if Ray Rice managed to screw me both when he was on my roster and after I dropped him?

Titans schedule looks pretty good after this week. Arizona and Jax weeks 15 and 16.
I can't get with the Titans. Cardinal and Jaguars are both much improved recently.
The Titans have played well vs the pass this year. They have struggled against the run, but AZ can't do that especially if Ellington is still hurt. I think that is a good matchup for TEN and fits into their strength

Lions are surging and have something to play for, with decent week 15/16 matchups. Secondary is still a weakness, however.

I only have to play 2 playoff games. Win either and I get at least some money, win both and I get the championship and the big check.

I have 1 QB. 1 TE. 2 WRs. Those positions are "locked", the starters are in, there are no backups and no room to maneuver. I have 2 Kickers, 6 RBs, and 4 DSTs. Those are all for plugging in the best option and then playing keep away. My opponents will have to start guys like Benny Cunningham, Chris Ivory, and the Jets D vs. Carolina against me. Kickers in windy, cold, outdoor venues.

Kool-Aid Larry said:
Detroit?

75 76 69 58 74 BYE 60

edit:

Picked up Detroit primarily to avoid playing against them after first round bye.

If I win next week (CAR vs. NYJ week 15), I may even trot them out there vs. NYG instead of STL vs. TB.

As a Panthers owner, I've been thinking long and hard about the potential week 16. Going off my WW, Detroit is the one that keeps coming back to me - home game, NY don't have a particularly dangerous passing game, potential division up for grabs, great run D, Giants might be playing for nothing etc etc

However, the thought of having to rely on my Lions D to win me crunch FF games is a thought I'm not willing to even think about right now. The very spectre of it causes me to sweat.

Last edited by a moderator:
As a Panthers owner, I've been thinking long and hard about the potential week 16.
I own Panthers/Lions/Rams (primarily because I am worried about the Saints matchups). The nice thing about week 16 is that we'll be able to use this coming game (14) as a barometer for that game (16).

If the Panthers play the Saints well at the Superdome, then I think we can feel reasonably confident about playing the Panthers at home. However, if the Saints light up the scoreboard this week, I like having options for week 16.

First round of playoffs for us and couldn't convince myself to start Carolina so picked up the Steelers for this week. I've been riding Carolina for a while and just think if they're going to have a letdown this is the week.

Got a bye this week but picked up the eagles for week 15 @ min. Looking at picking up detroit for week 16 vs nyg. Like both matchups alot

I must have read every post on this thread a dozen times, even the blank posts. I'm a huge bind and I got to make some plans based on very limited choices on the wire.

What I think I know:

Pittsburgh looks like they have an outstanding week 16 matchup against the Flynn/Tolzien led Packers at Lambeau. I want this defense stashed away for safekeeping.

I seriously considered Indy vs Houston for week 15, and then looked at the recent Indy vs Houston matchup and Indy scored negative points against that Case Keenum led team. Pass.

I looked at Detroit, but the in my scoring system, the amount of yards and points they give up regularly will have me chain chewing rolaids. Pass.

Philly has a good matchup with Minnesota and who knows who will be the starting QB by that week 15 match. I really like this defense a lot.

Don't trust the Raiders defense guys, just trust me.

That's all I got fellas.

Thinking of rolling the dice against a TN team that probably wants no part of Denver offense or weather.
This. Picked up Denver once I saw the weather forecast. Had planned to play Baltimore or pick up Arizona but I think Denver is the play this week. Plus you get the bonus of another home game in week 15 against SD. Chargers aren't an offense which you target normally they will likely be behind and the weather could be bad again. We just saw in the NE-Den game that no matter how sure-handed you are, when it is frigid the ball comes out often.

SaintsInDome2006 said:
No one's really mentioned it but Flynn under center seems like a great defensive matchup. Detroit was the play of last week.

Atlanta does not look like a good play any week, but this could be the flipside if Rodgers stays out (which believe me I would very much like him in).
Conversely, Green Bay might be an option. The game is supposed to have a high of 20 with a chance of snow. I can't see Ryan loving that weather and GB did force 4 TOs last week.

I just selected Pittsburgh to be my defense this week over the Panthers and 49ers.

I know that it is popular in FFL in the playoffs to "dance with the one that brought ya"

and both of those defenses have been good to me.

But barring a fluke TD, it is hard to imagine the 49ers or Panthers having a good day defensively vs. those top notch offenses (panthers vs. no. 49ers vs. seattle)

Pittsburgh is a worse defense, but I believe their opportunity vs. Miami far outweighs the limited opportunity my better defenses have.

No one is feeling the Raiders D this week @ NYJ?

I picked them up as my only defense. I'm wheeling and dealing the entire playoffs. Cross fingers

The Patriots D/ST and Dolphins D/ST just got put on the WW today.

Is there something I'm missing with the pats? Why would this guy drop them? They have Cleveland, @Miami, @Baltimore, and then home vs Buffalo.

Is there something I'm missing with the pats? Why would this guy drop them? They have Cleveland, @Miami, @Baltimore, and then home vs Buffalo.
I might actually roll with mia over hou, but I haven't made up my mind yet

pitt lost their center last week, who had actually been subbing for the starter all season.

also, their left tackle is Q -- think he hurt his knee last week, and his back up also got hurt last week, so they might roll out guy whimper at LT.

I think mia might actually have a decent def, while hou seems kind of soft to me, but pitt offense seems a little better than jax.

I'm gonna hate myself if hou destroys jax and I didn't use them, but I don't trust these divisional games -- look at that atl/nos game the other week.

elshagon said:
First round of playoffs for us and couldn't convince myself to start Carolina so picked up the Steelers for this week. I've been riding Carolina for a while and just think if they're going to have a letdown this is the week.
I like cold weather teams playing at home in Dec. against warm weather opponents. Don't think the 'Phins will appreciate Sunday's wintery mix and freezing temps if the forecast pans out.

I might actually roll with mia over hou, but I haven't made up my mind yet

pitt lost their center last week, who had actually been subbing for the starter all season.

also, their left tackle is Q -- think he hurt his knee last week, and his back up also got hurt last week, so they might roll out guy whimper at LT.

I think mia might actually have a decent def, while hou seems kind of soft to me, but pitt offense seems a little better than jax.

I'm gonna hate myself if hou destroys jax and I didn't use them, but I don't trust these divisional games -- look at that atl/nos game the other week.
I have Miami as my third defense, behind Pittsburgh and Philly. I never really considered them because of the matchup and likely bad weather. For some reason, I think of Miami being a bad cold weather team, though there's not enough data to suggest it. In reality, it's the best defense of the three. This has me considering them again.

I dropped Houston already and can't get them back now that they are locked. So that ship sailed. Basically, I can't get over the last time I started Houston against JAX two weeks ago. That almost cost me. I can live with them having a great day and my waivers, but I'd be ready to jump off a ledge if I fell for Houston again against Jax and they did me wrong now.

Cheesedawg said:

This. Picked up Denver once I saw the weather forecast. Had planned to play Baltimore or pick up Arizona but I think Denver is the play this week. Plus you get the bonus of another home game in week 15 against SD. Chargers aren't an offense which you target normally they will likely be behind and the weather could be bad again. We just saw in the NE-Den game that no matter how sure-handed you are, when it is frigid the ball comes out often.
Yeah I just decided to go with Denver over SF.

Understanding Manning's issue in the cold combined with the fact that TN has an exceptional secondary BUT a lousy run D and I think you see a lot of Moreno/Ball in that game. And another benefit is that will kill clock and minimize TN offensive snaps.

Even if the weather miraculously turns for the better, TN and Fitz on the road...playing from behind...has to equal some turnovers.

Oh...and D. Walker looks like he's unlikely to play. One less weapon.

Kerley and Holmes both returned to practice for the Jets today, and both are expected to play Sunday. I know it's popular to declare Geno a complete bust and write him off for goot, thus making the Raiders a great play this week...

BUT, he's had no one to throw to lately. Getting his top two WRs back and the Raiders D in an early east coast game for a west coast team... Raiders D scares me too much to play this week.

Fluctuating between Steelers and Ravens. Weather should suck and both team are playing warm weather or dome team.

Leaning Ravens right now, based on their urgency to make the playoffs, although I don't think I can count on

Matt Cassel to make as many stupid decisions as maybe Geno Smith ? Adrian Peterson also muddies the waters.

I just selected Pittsburgh to be my defense this week over the Panthers and 49ers.

I know that it is popular in FFL in the playoffs to "dance with the one that brought ya"

and both of those defenses have been good to me.

But barring a fluke TD, it is hard to imagine the 49ers or Panthers having a good day defensively vs. those top notch offenses (panthers vs. no. 49ers vs. seattle)

Pittsburgh is a worse defense, but I believe their opportunity vs. Miami far outweighs the limited opportunity my better defenses have.
i am normally the same with dance who brought ya but i think the saints are gonna be a pissed off bunch in the dome this week so i figure the pats are a prettty good alternative was really hoping haine would be starting but campbell will have to do

picked up arizona for next week's semifinals (bye this week).

will probably go another way if i reach the championship

Users who are viewing this thread