What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Waiver Wire Defenses - Playoffs Edition (1 Viewer)

Wow, who would have guessed that it's a bad idea to start the defense for the team with the worst record in football?

I'd say the Bills & Titans vs the Jags wks 15-16 are not such a great matchup anymore.

If Schaub is coming back defenses facing HOU (wk 15 @ IND, wk 16 vs Den) are looking better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Trying to decide between Arizona and Cincy for this week. Currently rocking Cincy, but not feeling good about it.

Trying to decide between Arizona and Cincy for this week. Currently rocking Cincy, but not feeling good about it.
Facing exact same decision. If it helps, here's my logic:

First of all, I think they're both strong plays, so don't spend too much time agonizing over it (especially since in a typical week, an average D will get you 8-10 points in standard scoring and won't decide your matchup).

The main reason I'm going Cinci is that they've been absolutely lights out at home. Their worst game was vs Pitt in Week 2, where they scored 10. Every other home game they've been above 15, including some tough match-ups (NE, GB). And there doesn't seem to have been much of a letup since Atkins and Hall went down. Indy is a slightly scary match-up in that Luck is always capable of breaking out. But they've also been giving up a ton of sacks lately.

As for Arizona, they're a strong play, too. Their best attribute is their run D, and that's all STL has going for them. But even in what looked like their best match-ups (TB, Hou, Jax), they've put up decent-but-not-spectacular numbers.

Overall, I'd say they both have similar floors, but Cinci has a much higher ceiling. I may go back to Arizona next week when they have Tenn and Cinci is on the road again, but for this week, I'm all in on the Bengals. (In fact, the best argument for starting Arizona is that, now that I'm betting everything on Cinci's home/road split, it will totally blow up in my face).

Good luck!

St Louis was recently dropped in my league. I had dropped my extra Defense to pick up a backup running back. With the news that Palmer is having elbow issues and is a game time decision does St Louis become a great matchup this weekend if Stanton plays? I have Kansas City and figured they'd snag some sacks and turnovers against the fading Skins.

St Louis was recently dropped in my league. I had dropped my extra Defense to pick up a backup running back. With the news that Palmer is having elbow issues and is a game time decision does St Louis become a great matchup this weekend if Stanton plays? I have Kansas City and figured they'd snag some sacks and turnovers against the fading Skins.
I'm starting them over the Panthers, but no way I'd start them over the Chiefs. You have an elite defense going against a team that's packed it in. Also, when in doubt, go with the team you think is more likely to win.

I'd say the Bills & Titans vs the Jags wks 15-16 are not such a great matchup anymore.

If Schaub is coming back defenses facing HOU (wk 15 @ IND, wk 16 vs Den) are looking better.
really don't think it matters who is QBing the Texans. I think both are equally incompetent at this point.

What do you guys think of Pats this week at home?

I used them last week against Houston and they sucked big time. 4 points

I know Clev. has Gordon(Talib covering?) him, but he's a stud and should get his catches.

The rest of the team doesn't scare me in NE.

CAN the Pats defense get turnovers???? Their sacks, fumble recoveries etc are down.

They can't hold anyone under 20 points so I need turnovers this week.

AZ versus St. L is my alternate choice.

What do you guys think of Pats this week at home?

I used them last week against Houston and they sucked big time. 4 points

I know Clev. has Gordon(Talib covering?) him, but he's a stud and should get his catches.

The rest of the team doesn't scare me in NE.

CAN the Pats defense get turnovers???? Their sacks, fumble recoveries etc are down.

They can't hold anyone under 20 points so I need turnovers this week.

AZ versus St. L is my alternate choice.
Both good but go with the better all-around D (ARI).

VikingFrog said:
This is why I'm rolling with STL defense this week; they are one of the few fantasy defenses that consistently puts up at least some sack numbers every week, and, even if Palmer is in there, he's hardly a paragon of mobility and escapability.

any opinions on my (rostered) options this week?

SEA @ SF (they've been good to me all year, even w/o many TDs) and they smoked SF in the first meeting.

BUF @ TB (picked them up and played them last week... over SEA w/ brees in town. very sharky move)

not much else on the wire in a 14 team league.

SEA @ SF (they've been good to me all year, even w/o many TDs) and they smoked SF in the first meeting.

BUF @ TB (picked them up and played them last week... over SEA w/ brees in town. very sharky move)

this is the waiver wire defenses thread -- a/c forum is down the hall

I had initially picked up the Bills for weeks 12-16, I will now only use them in week 16, at home vs Miami... Provided I am still playing. I love the Bills, but I know the Bills. They generally play to the level of their competition, regardless of what year it is or who the players are. They will go to Tampa with a chance to take a step forward in emergence of a young defense. $10 says at least 1 Bucc has their "game of the year". Just watch.

Rams defense was dropped in my league. How would y'all rank them for the playoffs compared to the teams mentioned in this thread (@Ari, NO, TB). The NO game is obviously out.
I picked them up as my Carolina fill-in Week 14/16. Don't totally love the Arizona matchup, just because I think the Cards win and I never like to go with a losing team, but I figure Rams D is semi-legit, and Palmer's always good for a pick or two. Plus, if you get return yardage/TDs, Austin is always a threat to break one off.
Just hoping one of those will be a for a TD. There are worse gambles than the Rams against a banged up Palmer. They should be good for a few sacks and maybe 2 INT's.

Rams defense was dropped in my league. How would y'all rank them for the playoffs compared to the teams mentioned in this thread (@Ari, NO, TB). The NO game is obviously out.
I picked them up as my Carolina fill-in Week 14/16. Don't totally love the Arizona matchup, just because I think the Cards win and I never like to go with a losing team, but I figure Rams D is semi-legit, and Palmer's always good for a pick or two. Plus, if you get return yardage/TDs, Austin is always a threat to break one off.
Just hoping one of those will be a for a TD. There are worse gambles than the Rams against a banged up Palmer. They should be good for a few sacks and maybe 2 INT's.
Especially since the injury is to his elbow. All it takes is one out-route throw with a little less zing on it ...

Washington weather is making me rethink the Chiefs D. Was originally planning to play the Pats vs Cleveland, but that game is sunny and cold.

How do you guys generally play the weather forecasts when it comes to team DST? Does it bump the chiefs higher in your rankings due to weather?

Grabbed the Jets and started them over the Bucs and 49ers.

The reasons why:

1. no Jennings or DMC

2. teams have enough game film of McGloin to figure him out

3. weather

4. west coast team playing east coast team at 10 a.m. PST

I currently have CAR, but am seriously considering picking up either DEN or OAK or STL. Haven't decided yet, but I'm just not confident in CAR this week.

Washington weather is making me rethink the Chiefs D. Was originally planning to play the Pats vs Cleveland, but that game is sunny and cold.

How do you guys generally play the weather forecasts when it comes to team DST? Does it bump the chiefs higher in your rankings due to weather?
I'd need a time machine to play kc d and i haven't seen any weather report that looks significant

Really glad I started Cincy over Arizona. Tied heading into tomorrow with me having Jeffery and him Dez. This game should be over. ugh.

Facing exact same decision. If it helps, here's my logic:

First of all, I think they're both strong plays, so don't spend too much time agonizing over it (especially since in a typical week, an average D will get you 8-10 points in standard scoring and won't decide your matchup).

The main reason I'm going Cinci is that they've been absolutely lights out at home. Their worst game was vs Pitt in Week 2, where they scored 10. Every other home game they've been above 15, including some tough match-ups (NE, GB). And there doesn't seem to have been much of a letup since Atkins and Hall went down. Indy is a slightly scary match-up in that Luck is always capable of breaking out. But they've also been giving up a ton of sacks lately.

As for Arizona, they're a strong play, too. Their best attribute is their run D, and that's all STL has going for them. But even in what looked like their best match-ups (TB, Hou, Jax), they've put up decent-but-not-spectacular numbers.

Overall, I'd say they both have similar floors, but Cinci has a much higher ceiling. I may go back to Arizona next week when they have Tenn and Cinci is on the road again, but for this week, I'm all in on the Bengals. (In fact, the best argument for starting Arizona is that, now that I'm betting everything on Cinci's home/road split, it will totally blow up in my face).

Good luck!
Can't say I didn't warn you. How do you blow a team out like that in crappy weather and not manage to record a single sack or turnover?

I'm pretty set for next week (Carolina in one league, Arizona in another), but today's results have me doubting my options for Week 16 (assuming I make it that far). Hard to trust Carolina vs NO, even at home, given the beat-down Brees has put on them tonight. Hard to trust Cinci at all, even with a good home match-up vs MIN. My current backup options are Arizona (@SEA, no thanks) and STL against a resurgent TB offense. Might need to target Dallas @ Washington.

I'm going with Arizona for this week. I picked them up for a couple weeks before and they have been solid at home and if it weren't for a bad fumble near the goal line, they would have been even better. None of the other matchups give me a warm and fuzzy. I don't like picking up teams like Oakland that score very little so far. I picked up Miami for last week because I liked how they pressured Cam and figured they would maul Geno. Oakland didn't look the same against Romo, so I wouldn't trust them to maul anyone. Arizona has been a top D, so combine that with a decent matchup and I'm in. Also, Arizona's run D is the best part of their D and that matches up better with the better part of St. Louis' O.
Well, even though I sat KC in one league, this still paid off. They have been money at home. Got me 23 in the league I have been rotating all year and 18 (24 for KC) in the other. I was right with my gut feel that they would be better on D than KC, just wasn't expecting a KR and PR TD for KC.

Not so sure about them next week. They have had only 2 good games on the road, as opposed to 10+ in 5 of the last 6 home games (the other game was Seattle).

Went with the Rams this week...that didn't really work out too well. With NO and TB up in the next 2 weeks, it's back to the waiver wire with you, STL.

Do we trust the Bills against the Jags? Or against a surging Tannehill in week 16? Seems like these are perfect match-up plays with how many sacks those teams give up and BUF leading the league in sacks...but I'm not feeling great about it.

I'm pretty set for next week (Carolina in one league, Arizona in another), but today's results have me doubting my options for Week 16 (assuming I make it that far). Hard to trust Carolina vs NO, even at home, given the beat-down Brees has put on them tonight. Hard to trust Cinci at all, even with a good home match-up vs MIN. My current backup options are Arizona (@SEA, no thanks) and STL against a resurgent TB offense. Might need to target Dallas @ Washington.
In the same boat with Panthers and not liking anything on my WW at all.

Horribly, the Lions at home to Giants are looking like my best option for week 16.

Users who are viewing this thread