What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Waiver wire pickups - Heading into Week 8 (1 Viewer)

With them incorporating more designed runs for him, I think its possible to hold your nose and grab Justin Fields if desperate like I have been at QB this year.
I thought of that as well, although probably not as a bye-week fill-in this week, as he's facing Dallas.

For those with Mahomes or Herbert who need someone just for this week, who are you looking at? I'd probably say DJones, but he's rostered in the league where I have Herbert. Whoever plays QB for the Saints has a juicy matchup against LV, though that's obviously a risky play.

Other possibilities:
  • Goff vs Miami -- good matchup on paper, but that offense has really fallen off without its weapons in recent weeks
  • Mills vs Tenn -- probably low ceiling, but Tenn has given up good games to some mediocre QBs this year
  • Mariota vs Car -- Panthers D is sneaky good, and obvious a huge cap on the ceiling when the QB never throws
  • Heinicke @ Indy -- another sneaky good D + replacement-level QB
  • Walker @ Atlanta -- really scraping the bottom of the barrel here
I'd probably rank them Saints QB >> Mills >>>>> Goff >>>>>>>>>>quit fantasy altogether rather than start any of those guys
I have Herbert also. Out of your options I would look at Heineke first. I don’t expect Goff to have St Brown (why I’m cutting Goff). I guess Mills 2nd. Mariota should put up better numbers than he does, don’t know what the issue is there.
I am going with Goff. St. Brown will play.

With them incorporating more designed runs for him, I think its possible to hold your nose and grab Justin Fields if desperate like I have been at QB this year.
I thought of that as well, although probably not as a bye-week fill-in this week, as he's facing Dallas.

For those with Mahomes or Herbert who need someone just for this week, who are you looking at? I'd probably say DJones, but he's rostered in the league where I have Herbert. Whoever plays QB for the Saints has a juicy matchup against LV, though that's obviously a risky play.

Other possibilities:
  • Goff vs Miami -- good matchup on paper, but that offense has really fallen off without its weapons in recent weeks
  • Mills vs Tenn -- probably low ceiling, but Tenn has given up good games to some mediocre QBs this year
  • Mariota vs Car -- Panthers D is sneaky good, and obvious a huge cap on the ceiling when the QB never throws
I'd probably rank them Saints QB >> Mills >>>>> Goff >>>>>>>>>>quit fantasy altogether rather than start any of those guys
I have Herbert also. Out of your options I would look at Heineke first. I don’t expect Goff to have St Brown (why I’m cutting Goff). I guess Mills 2nd. Mariota should put up better numbers than he does, don’t know what the issue is there.
They never throw the ball? :shrug:

Van Jefferson due back this week
So if Allen Robinson and Van Jefferson are both on the WW, who would you prefer
I think they’re going to cancel each other out once Kupp gets fed. Not sure there’s a lot of meat on the bone in the passing game compared to last year.
What if you own Kupp? Sutton is my next "best" -- I know doubling up is risky, but if the Rams can give Stafford the time....

Van Jefferson due back this week
So if Allen Robinson and Van Jefferson are both on the WW, who would you prefer
I think they’re going to cancel each other out once Kupp gets fed. Not sure there’s a lot of meat on the bone in the passing game compared to last year.
What if you own Kupp? Sutton is my next "best" -- I know doubling up is risky, but if the Rams can give Stafford the time....
That’s a big “if”. Seems like there are a lot of problems with that offense - the line, Stafford himself, etc. Seems like too much talent there so maybe they’ll figure it out after the bye.

I don’t expect Goff to have St Brown (why I’m cutting Goff).

ARSB should play. He was not concussed but couldn't t return to the game bc of the new protocols. He's expected to play at home vs MIA this week.

There are plenty of reasons to cut bait on Goff regardless.
14 teamer .. its either I start Goff or try and pick up PJ Walker or Ehlinger. I will stick with Goff at home

Other possibilities:
Bummer about Daniel Jones.

Goff has by far the best opportunity. ARSB apparently didn't even have a concussion but he was auto-yanked because of the new protocol. So he should be back. De'Andre swift is also supposed to be back. Those would be two huge additions. HOWEVER something has clearly gone sideways then cattywampus before falling off the rails entirely for the Detroit O. WTF are we supposed to think about this offense ATM? I have no earthly idea.

I like the QB Saints vs Las Vegas better. You get an experienced player with good weapons facing a bottom 10 pass d by every metric, YPG, Y/A, CMP%, INTs, Sacks, PPG etc. etc. etc. They may be turning a corner as a team but I wouldn't count on it today.

FTR I am facing the same decision vis-a-vis Goff v QB Saints and I'm opting for QB Saints.
Re Goff: something else I just dug into a little more: Yahoo says that the Dolphins are fifth best matchup for QBs. But that's heavily skewed by the Baltimore and Buffalo games, and to a lesser extent Cinci. So the Dolphins have given up points to three of the best QBs in the league. Against the likes of Mac, ZWilson, Cousins and Pickett they've averaged 13.5 FPA.

There's also a question of how much of the past couple weeks have been Detroit's injuries catching up with them vs. teams figuring out Goff. It's unclear, but also not necessarily something I want to bet my match-up on. That's why I have Mills as my No. 2 option behind the Saints QBs
No idea if St Brown is playing, Reynolds banged up, Swift who knows. At least Heineke has had some success before. He does like throwing to McLaren.

Last edited:
For those, like myself, in need of a QB bye week filler, keep an eye on Tannehill's status, for there might be a Malik Willis sighting soon.
D Jones and Fields are in my sights this week. It’s time to move on from Rodgers.
I feel ya, Doc. Personally, I think it's Daniel Jones the one to own and start this week. He's like the 3rd overall rushing yards QB.

Any update on Lazard's shoulder? I was ready to cut bait with Doubs after last week and grab someone else off the WW but he may be the last man standing (although not sure how to take Rodgers latest comments about "Guys who are making too many mistakes, shouldn't be playing"). Makes me wonder if Doubs is a lost cause no matter what happens with Lazard.

How about Goodwin in Seattle? IF Metcalf misses time and Palmer in LA with the williams high ankle sprain.
Both are interesting and it's impossible to discount Seattle at this point but with Godwin it really feels like we have seen this movie before. I mean, a 32 year old WR breaking out in his 9th season feels like a stretch.

I lean Palmer in this scenario, in fact he's probably a guy I should target in front of Campbell & Claypool.
agreed and I dont expect a 32 year breakout..... but Seattle has only 2 starting wide outs worth mentioning and if one of them misses a few games as I expect it is either him or eskridge. I will take the guy who showed something last week over the unknown guy who didnt.

Any update on Lazard's shoulder? I was ready to cut bait with Doubs after last week and grab someone else off the WW but he may be the last man standing (although not sure how to take Rodgers latest comments about "Guys who are making too many mistakes, shouldn't be playing"). Makes me wonder if Doubs is a lost cause no matter what happens with Lazard.
Maybe Christian Watson gets a longer look when he’s healthy.

How about Goodwin in Seattle? IF Metcalf misses time and Palmer in LA with the williams high ankle sprain.
Both are interesting and it's impossible to discount Seattle at this point but with Godwin it really feels like we have seen this movie before. I mean, a 32 year old WR breaking out in his 9th season feels like a stretch.

I lean Palmer in this scenario, in fact he's probably a guy I should target in front of Campbell & Claypool.
agreed and I dont expect a 32 year breakout..... but Seattle has only 2 starting wide outs worth mentioning and if one of them misses a few games as I expect it is either him or eskridge. I will take the guy who showed something last week over the unknown guy who didnt.
The fact that the Seattle offense runs through two wideouts is a big deal for sure. But going off last week alone seems a little dubious. Palmer has 26 catches after 6 games this season, Goodwin has two seasons with more than 26 catches in his 8 previous seasons. All the circumstances are different ATM, and Goodwin has always been the kind of guy to make deep strikes to salvage a bad week, so it could absolutely happen.

Then again Palmer is in line to, at least maintain his #2 WR status with the Chargers for another 4-6 weeks. For whatever that may or may not be worth.

i'm in a super deep league. Any chance Berrios gets more action with Breece gone??
Do you get anything for kick return yardage?
No...but bonus points for long TDs 40+ and 50+
Berrios was a huge lift to me at the end of last season but some of that was due to his elevated floor from return yardage and then a depleted WR corps. I feel like something would have to shift in the depth chart to make him relevant for you.

have to like what you've seen from heineki can we just call him heineken already?
he's here to stay, the starting QB for the rest of the season for the commandos.

The fact that the Seattle offense runs through two wideouts is a big deal for sure. But going off last week alone seems a little dubious. Palmer has 26 catches after 6 games this season, Goodwin has two seasons with more than 26 catches in his 8 previous seasons. All the circumstances are different ATM, and Goodwin has always been the kind of guy to make deep strikes to salvage a bad week, so it could absolutely happen.

Then again Palmer is in line to, at least maintain his #2 WR status with the Chargers for another 4-6 weeks. For whatever that may or may not be worth.
Oh I am not disagreeing with you at all I would rather have Palmer.....but everybodys roster is different and if I was pretty desperate for a flex starter due to injuries or bye weeks Goodwin might be someone to look at for a week or 2.

Oh I am not disagreeing with you at all I would rather have Palmer.....but everybodys roster is different and if I was pretty desperate for a flex starter due to injuries or bye weeks Goodwin might be someone to look at for a week or 2.
have to like what you've seen from heineki can we just call him heineken already?
he's here to stay, the starting QB for the rest of the season for the commandos.
I like beer...it makes me a jolly good fellow. I like beer, it helps me unwind and sometimes it makes me feel mellow.

If Rogers is serious about his comments about guys that are making too many mistakes should be benched then the shark move is to pick up Jordan Love.

i'm in a super deep league. Any chance Berrios gets more action with Breece gone??
Do you get anything for kick return yardage?
No...but bonus points for long TDs 40+ and 50+
Berrios was a huge lift to me at the end of last season but some of that was due to his elevated floor from return yardage and then a depleted WR corps. I feel like something would have to shift in the depth chart to make him relevant for you.

Yeah he's a fun gadget guy, only plays around 15 snaps a week and might see 2 touches (5 is pretty much his ceiling.) Has a knack for making big plays, they scheme a bit for him every week. But pretty tough start even in return leagues. This week doesn't seem like the best dart throw week to try to get lucky with him.

Lost my championship last year bc the guy I was playing picked him up & started him in the final (return TD + rush TD.) Even more amazing, dude picked up and started Boston Scott for another 2 TD miracle. I had a 7 game winning streak going in, total heartbreaker.

:ptts:

I've got my eye on three WR's in a shallow bench league where I could use an upgrade. Currently have Lamb, Thielen, and either Wandale or Garrett Wilson as my WR3. Hopeful Wandale keeps on the rise because Wilson has been disappointing since the first couple of weeks. Don't really want to rely on him for byes coming up.

Trying to figure out in what order I should bid on these three....

Van Jefferson
Josh Palmer (keeping in mind that both starters are now dinged)
Donovan Peoples-Jones (Watson back in a few weeks)

For those, like myself, in need of a QB bye week filler, keep an eye on Tannehill's status, for there might be a Malik Willis sighting soon.
D Jones and Fields are in my sights this week. It’s time to move on from Rodgers.
I'm trying to decide between the two. Who are you leaning towards?
Jones was the easy answer until this week since Fields has looked much better lately. I am still leaning Jones since he is a better passer but Fields is the better runner and may be running by design more than Jones. The designed runs by Fields create the uncertainty for me. I don’t know how much those runs will continue but it seems that they should if Chicago wants to get the most from Fields that they can.

I've got my eye on three WR's in a shallow bench league where I could use an upgrade. Currently have Lamb, Thielen, and either Wandale or Garrett Wilson as my WR3. Hopeful Wandale keeps on the rise because Wilson has been disappointing since the first couple of weeks. Don't really want to rely on him for byes coming up.

Van Jefferson
Palmer should get targets while Williams is out.

Jamycal Hasty

Jaguars head coach Doug Pederson said RB JaMycal Hasty will see more carries.​

Pederson added that Travis Etienne's role in the Jaguars backfield would not change after James Robinson was dealt to the Jets on Monday. Etienne, who has seen 42 percent of the team's carries and 12 percent of the team's targets over the past three weeks, should function as a locked-in RB2 option with Robinson gone. It's clear, however, that Hasty is ahead of Snoop Conner in the Jacksonville backfield pecking order, and would likely be the Jaguars' lead back should Etienne miss time. Hasty is a smart bench stash.

Jamycal Hasty

Pederson added that Travis Etienne's role in the Jaguars backfield would not change after James Robinson was dealt to the Jets on Monday. Etienne, who has seen 42 percent of the team's carries and 12 percent of the team's targets over the past three weeks, should function as a locked-in RB2 option with Robinson gone. It's clear, however, that Hasty is ahead of Snoop Conner in the Jacksonville backfield pecking order, and would likely be the Jaguars' lead back should Etienne miss time. Hasty is a smart bench stash.

Definitely disagree here. Hasty going from one to two carries is an increase. My money is on snoop being the back up. Hasty gets work on special teams is the reason hes been active over snoop while they had jrob. Jaguars website lists snoop as rb2 as well.

Jamycal Hasty

Definitely disagree here. Hasty going from one to two carries is an increase. My money is on snoop being the back up. Hasty gets work on special teams is the reason hes been active over snoop while they had jrob. Jaguars website lists snoop as rb2 as well.
interesting. Appreciate the response.

Elijah Moore. I expect the Patriots to take the run away and force Wilson to throw. Davis is likely out or seriously limited. Salah had this to say about Moore this morning "He's good. We're all good. We'll see if we can get him the ball and make a few plays." I think he's going to be involved and has a massive chip on his shoulder.

Other possibilities:
Now that Dalton has been named starter, I'm going with him over Mills

Elijah Moore. I expect the Patriots to take the run away and force Wilson to throw. Davis is likely out or seriously limited. Salah had this to say about Moore this morning "He's good. We're all good. We'll see if we can get him the ball and make a few plays." I think he's going to be involved and has a massive chip on his shoulder.
I’m not sure the patriots can stop the run though

Keep an eye on Tannehill’s status. Willis is as raw as it gets but could put up stats on the ground.

Van Jefferson
Watson can't play until Week 13 at the earliest.

Jones was the easy answer until this week since Fields has looked much better lately. I am still leaning Jones since he is a better passer but Fields is the better runner and may be running by design more than Jones. The designed runs by Fields create the uncertainty for me. I don’t know how much those runs will continue but it seems that they should if Chicago wants to get the most from Fields that they can.
I read a tweet today (don't recall from who) but it stated that Chicago has been watching Baltimore tape as to how they use Lamar Jackson and incorporating some of those plays.

I read a tweet today (don't recall from who) but it stated that Chicago has been watching Baltimore tape as to how they use Lamar Jackson and incorporating some of those plays.
That makes the decision more difficult. If Fields is going to keep running, obviously his value is much improved. I haven’t looked at their schedules but that would help in the decision too.

I ended up making these kinds of moves this week. Picked up Daniel Jones, Wan'Dale Robinson, and Kyren Williams to IR (Allowed the D Jones pickup), and just dumped AJ Dillon for Antonio Gibson (FA), whom someone else dumped when he got demoted. Dillon has been awful. I dropped D Watson and Pacheco to make this happen. Pacheco will be available just in case to give that another whirl.

Not too "brag" but week 8 my one team has so many solid plays that I have to sit one of these 7: Kupp, Hopkins, Godwin, Higgins, Chubb, Pierce, and Swift. It's coming down to Godwin, Higgins, or likely Swift. Wow! Sit Swift, really. Tua, Freiermuth or Knox, Carlson, DAL D round out this team.

For anyone with a shot at Foreman in FAAB. I bid 43% and lost to a 45% bid last night. If you really want him you're probably going to need to be fairly aggressive with your bid.

Our BB Waiver ran last night .... start season with $100 BB funds 1 QB league 0.5 PPR / 1.0 PPR TE
12 Team League with 25 roster spots and 2 IR ... limited pickings available

Clev TE Bryant $30 -- 2 other bids ($12 & $9)
Jax RB Hasty $17 -- 1 other bid ($6)
Ind QB Ehlinger $12 -- 3 other bids ($12, $11, $9)
Was QB Heinicke $9 -- 1 other bid ($7)
NOS WR Shaheed $7 -- no other bids
Jax Def $7 -- no other bids

FA pick up NYJ WR Berrios

Last edited:
I’m not sure the patriots can stop the run though

They can if Barnmore is active along with Dugger and Phillips. If not, forget it.

Is Cinn Mike Thomas worth a pickup? With Chase out, WR3 Boyd has 38 targets on season so will New WR3 Thomas get sufficient looks/routes/targets to be rosterable??

Is Cinn Mike Thomas worth a pickup? With Chase out, WR3 Boyd has 38 targets on season so will New WR3 Thomas get sufficient looks/routes/targets to be rosterable??

I just picked him up in 2 leagues.

Not a huge fan, but ended up picking up Daniel Jones this week. Need every win/point I can get and I had zero faith in Trevor Lawrence doing well against that Broncos D in a London game. Could have easily been like a 5 pointer.

Jones should be the safer play (although I dont see much of a ceiling). Rough go in a 12 team league with 17 roster spots + 2 IR's. Just NOTHING on the wire.

I ended up making these kinds of moves this week. Picked up Daniel Jones, Wan'Dale Robinson, and Kyren Williams to IR (Allowed the D Jones pickup), and just dumped AJ Dillon for Antonio Gibson (FA), whom someone else dumped when he got demoted. Dillon has been awful. I dropped D Watson and Pacheco to make this happen. Pacheco will be available just in case to give that another whirl.

Not too "brag" but week 8 my one team has so many solid plays that I have to sit one of these 7: Kupp, Hopkins, Godwin, Higgins, Chubb, Pierce, and Swift. It's coming down to Godwin, Higgins, or likely Swift. Wow! Sit Swift, really. Tua, Freiermuth or Knox, Carlson, DAL D round out this team.
I think you have to sit Swift also, no guarantee he’s playing a full game.

Not a huge fan, but ended up picking up Daniel Jones this week. Need every win/point I can get and I had zero faith in Trevor Lawrence doing well against that Broncos D in a London game. Could have easily been like a 5 pointer.

Jones should be the safer play (although I dont see much of a ceiling). Rough go in a 12 team league with 17 roster spots + 2 IR's. Just NOTHING on the wire.
I did the same using the same logic. I would be thrilled with 180 passing, 50 rush and a rush TD. It’s attainable vs Seattle, even though their D is getting better.

Users who are viewing this thread