What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Waiver wire pickups - Heading into Week 8 (1 Viewer)

Marquise Goodwin maybe for a week if DK misses time.

Paris Campbell has back to back good weeks with 11 and 12 targets for Indy. Not sure if that continues with Ehlinger or not though.

Hardman looks like fools gold. He maybe can do it again. It seemed like a gadget play for some weakness they saw on film all week though.

I grabbed foreman right before the game, carter already rostered elsewhere. Edwards is definitely the get this week.

Traded Lazard for Njoku on my redraft team with waller 🤣. Guess we both lost kinda..

I’m considering grabbing Campbell or hardman to help cover Mike Williams. Might be carter time again on the chargers?

Good lord my dynasty team is destroyed. Redraft would be stealing souls if it ever clicked for more than a week

Terrible week… as is the norm most week this season.

With the Dobbins news breaking last Friday it’s doubtful Gus is out there in most leagues.

Paris Campbell has back to back good weeks with 11 and 12 targets for Indy. Not sure if that continues with Ehlinger or not though.
Can't believe this guy might finally become a thing. With the new QB could be a complete bust but he looks great in the short passing game.

So pleased I got the last bit of Matty Ice as a fill in for Allen before benching :wall: --

Think I'm going to try and get Kyren Williams

For those, like myself, in need of a QB bye week filler, keep an eye on Tannehill's status, for there might be a Malik Willis sighting soon.

With them incorporating more designed runs for him, I think its possible to hold your nose and grab Justin Fields if desperate like I have been at QB this year.

With them incorporating more designed runs for him, I think its possible to hold your nose and grab Justin Fields if desperate like I have been at QB this year.
@dwainmcfarland

The Bears went to a hot-hand approach like they said they would. However, it wasn't Khalil Herbert getting the bump.

It was Justin Fields with a season-high 28% of designed rushing attempts.

3 consecutive top-12 finishes thanks to his rushing ability. Dare we say low-end QB1?
10/25/22, 9:52 AM

I thought of that as well, although probably not as a bye-week fill-in this week, as he's facing Dallas.

For those with Mahomes or Herbert who need someone just for this week, who are you looking at? I'd probably say DJones, but he's rostered in the league where I have Herbert. Whoever plays QB for the Saints has a juicy matchup against LV, though that's obviously a risky play.

Other possibilities:
  • Goff vs Miami -- good matchup on paper, but that offense has really fallen off without its weapons in recent weeks
  • Mills vs Tenn -- probably low ceiling, but Tenn has given up good games to some mediocre QBs this year
  • Mariota vs Car -- Panthers D is sneaky good, and obvious a huge cap on the ceiling when the QB never throws
  • Heinicke @ Indy -- another sneaky good D + replacement-level QB
  • Walker @ Atlanta -- really scraping the bottom of the barrel here
I'd probably rank them Saints QB >> Mills >>>>> Goff >>>>>>>>>>quit fantasy altogether rather than start any of those guys

Managed to grab Gus.

The Dobbins owner dropped him this week too.

I am very thin at RB (Swift, Jamaal W., James Robinson, Khalil, Deon Jackson). Should I be dropping Jackson for Dobbins just to try and lock down the Baltimore backfield? Seems like a nightmare when both are healthy but both are productive when they get the opportunity.

Claypool is also available on my wire, as is Parris Campbell, and I am over Romeo Dobbs.

Not sure which one to roll the dice on though.

Any opinions are welcome.

Claypool is also available on my wire, as is Parris Campbell, and I am over Romeo Dobbs.

Probably Campbell, although I'm not sure I buy it, and now we have the Ehlinger question.

Claypool if you want to bet on the upside of him being traded to a WR-needy team. But that's a risky bet. Let's say he gets traded to GB. Rodgers famously takes awhile to get in sync with new receivers; is it really going to be any better with a guy who joins the team midseason? Don't see him getting traded in-conference to KC, and he'd be walking into a similar situation to what he has in Pittsburgh.

You know what? I've convinced myself that you shouldn't waste your time on him. So I guess Campbell by default. If it was a mirage just move on. But definitely don't burn a lot of FAAB money or a waiver priority.

Probably Campbell, although I'm not sure I buy it, and now we have the Ehlinger question.

Claypool if you want to bet on the upside of him being traded to a WR-needy team. But that's a risky bet. Let's say he gets traded to GB. Rodgers famously takes awhile to get in sync with new receivers; is it really going to be any better with a guy who joins the team midseason? Don't see him getting traded in-conference to KC, and he'd be walking into a similar situation to what he has in Pittsburgh.

You know what? I've convinced myself that you shouldn't waste your time on him. So I guess Campbell by default. If it was a mirage just move on. But definitely don't burn a lot of FAAB money or a waiver priority.
I doubt Campbell will still have value with new QB. I think Pittman is only WR there that has any consistent value now

I appreciate it. You're probably right, at least Campbell may look like a more interesting gamble.

Counterpoint on Claypool:
I am not thinking about a trade, the thought of a trade honestly never crossed my mind. I think Claypool, despite apparently having an 84% ownership rate on MFL, is underappreciated. Even with Pickens getting increased work, Claypool is keeping pace, and doing it consistently. Since Pickens has become a bigger part of the offense in week 3 Pickens has 7, 8, 8, 6 & 6 targets; Claypool has 6, 2, 9, 7 & 8 (Diontae has 11, 4, 13, 7 & 10). Pickens really looks like he is becoming the Alpha sooner rather than later but Claypool is also very talented and seems to still be a big part of the offense. More importantly Pittsburgh is a passing team. Najee has broken 4 YPC once this season (4.11 ypc, week 5 vs NYJ) . Pickett has 52, 18 & 44 attempts, can you guess which game they won handily? This week @ Philadelphia I imagine it will be more of the same. After that, however, every game looks winnable so the high water mark for attempts may peak this week.

IDK Neither guy really inspires me but Claypool feels a little safer...maybe.

I thought of that as well, although probably not as a bye-week fill-in this week, as he's facing Dallas.

For those with Mahomes or Herbert who need someone just for this week, who are you looking at? I'd probably say DJones, but he's rostered in the league where I have Herbert. Whoever plays QB for the Saints has a juicy matchup against LV, though that's obviously a risky play.

Other possibilities:
  • Goff vs Miami -- good matchup on paper, but that offense has really fallen off without its weapons in recent weeks
  • Mills vs Tenn -- probably low ceiling, but Tenn has given up good games to some mediocre QBs this year
  • Mariota vs Car -- Panthers D is sneaky good, and obvious a huge cap on the ceiling when the QB never throws
I'd probably rank them Saints QB >> Mills >>>>> Goff >>>>>>>>>>quit fantasy altogether rather than start any of those guys
Bummer about Daniel Jones.

Goff has by far the best opportunity. ARSB apparently didn't even have a concussion but he was auto-yanked because of the new protocol. So he should be back. De'Andre swift is also supposed to be back. Those would be two huge additions. HOWEVER something has clearly gone sideways then cattywampus before falling off the rails entirely for the Detroit O. WTF are we supposed to think about this offense ATM? I have no earthly idea.

I like the QB Saints vs Las Vegas better. You get an experienced player with good weapons facing a bottom 10 pass d by every metric, YPG, Y/A, CMP%, INTs, Sacks, PPG etc. etc. etc. They may be turning a corner as a team but I wouldn't count on it today.

FTR I am facing the same decision vis-a-vis Goff v QB Saints and I'm opting for QB Saints.

I appreciate it. You're probably right, at least Campbell may look like a more interesting gamble.

I am not thinking about a trade, the thought of a trade honestly never crossed my mind. I think Claypool, despite apparently having an 84% ownership rate on MFL, is underappreciated. Even with Pickens getting increased work, Claypool is keeping pace, and doing it consistently. Since Pickens has become a bigger part of the offense in week 3 Pickens has 7, 8, 8, 6 & 6 targets; Claypool has 6, 2, 9, 7 & 8 (Diontae has 11, 4, 13, 7 & 10). Pickens really looks like he is becoming the Alpha sooner rather than later but Claypool is also very talented and seems to still be a big part of the offense. More importantly Pittsburgh is a passing team. Najee has broken 4 YPC once this season (4.11 ypc, week 5 vs NYJ) . Pickett has 52, 18 & 44 attempts, can you guess which game they won handily? This week @ Philadelphia I imagine it will be more of the same. After that, however, every game looks winnable so the high water mark for attempts may peak this week.

All makes sense, but take a step back and ask yourself if a low-powered offense led by a rookie QB is likely to support three startable WRs. I just don't see it.

Other possibilities:
I'm also eyeing whomever gets the starting gig for the Saints.

Also available in my main keeper league,
Brisset vs Bengals
Mills vs Titans
PJ vs Falcons
Heinicke vs Colts
Rypien vs Jaguars
Ehlinger vs Commanders

Mac was also dropped recently, but no idea what the Hoodie is doing there.

Other possibilities:
Bummer about Daniel Jones.

Goff has by far the best opportunity. ARSB apparently didn't even have a concussion but he was auto-yanked because of the new protocol. So he should be back. De'Andre swift is also supposed to be back. Those would be two huge additions. HOWEVER something has clearly gone sideways then cattywampus before falling off the rails entirely for the Detroit O. WTF are we supposed to think about this offense ATM? I have no earthly idea.

I like the QB Saints vs Las Vegas better. You get an experienced player with good weapons facing a bottom 10 pass d by every metric, YPG, Y/A, CMP%, INTs, Sacks, PPG etc. etc. etc. They may be turning a corner as a team but I wouldn't count on it today.

FTR I am facing the same decision vis-a-vis Goff v QB Saints and I'm opting for QB Saints.
Re Goff: something else I just dug into a little more: Yahoo says that the Dolphins are fifth best matchup for QBs. But that's heavily skewed by the Baltimore and Buffalo games, and to a lesser extent Cinci. So the Dolphins have given up points to three of the best QBs in the league. Against the likes of Mac, ZWilson, Cousins and Pickett they've averaged 13.5 FPA.

There's also a question of how much of the past couple weeks have been Detroit's injuries catching up with them vs. teams figuring out Goff. It's unclear, but also not necessarily something I want to bet my match-up on. That's why I have Mills as my No. 2 option behind the Saints QBs

Last edited:

All makes sense, but take a step back and ask yourself if a low-powered offense led by a rookie QB is likely to support three startable WRs. I just don't see it.
I am not contradicting, I like going back and forth with people in situations like to help clarify my own thoughts.

To your point they're 30th & 31st in scoring:

Pittsburgh 15.3 PPG
Indianapolis 16.1 PPG

So you're saying:
Ehlinger>Pickett?

Pickett attempts about 38 passes per game in his starts, Ehlinger hasn't played but Indianapolis attempted 42 passes per game with Ryan. Does that trend continue or do we see more Taylor?

I am not contradicting, I like going back and forth with people in situations like to help clarify my own thoughts.

To your point they're 30th & 31st in scoring:

Pittsburgh 15.3 PPG
Indianapolis 16.1 PPG

So you're saying:
Ehlinger>Pickett?

Pickett attempts about 38 passes per game in his starts, Ehlinger hasn't played but Indianapolis attempted 42 passes per game with Ryan. Does that trend continue or do we see more Taylor?
Yeah, that does kind of clarify the stakes. I guess what I'm saying is that potential WR2 on a low-powered offense > potential WR3 on a low-powered offense, but obviously the real answer is that you don't want to rely on any of them.

Managed to grab Gus.

The Dobbins owner dropped him this week too.

I am very thin at RB (Swift, Jamaal W., James Robinson, Khalil, Deon Jackson). Should I be dropping Jackson for Dobbins just to try and lock down the Baltimore backfield? Seems like a nightmare when both are healthy but both are productive when they get the opportunity.
No imo.... guy was already injured before this one. I know IR is for 4 weeks but it is for AT LEAST 4 weeks. Balt is a playoff team without him and based on how they handled his last injury no way they rush him back. Everything I am reading is saying they dont expect him back before the FF playoffs....can you really trust him then?

I doubt Campbell will still have value with new QB. I think Pittman is only WR there that has any consistent value now
not sure about elinger and the colts would be fools not to lean on taylor now that he is healthy?

as bad as doubs has been lately he would be a hold for me until the extent of Lazards injury is better known.

aside from 1 game where trubisky was the qb (admittedly a great FF game) and a game that Trubisky didnt even look at the rookie, Claypool has been a low catch rate non FF startable player. I cant imagine he will all the sudden blossom as a wr after last year and getting the rookie QB back who doesnt look his way much. Targets are good....cant catch the ball without targets....but other than week 6 he has been uselless. If you pick him up good luck figuring out when his next good week comes.

How about Goodwin in Seattle? IF Metcalf misses time and Palmer in LA with the williams high ankle sprain.
Both are interesting and it's impossible to discount Seattle at this point but with Godwin it really feels like we have seen this movie before. I mean, a 32 year old WR breaking out in his 9th season feels like a stretch.

I lean Palmer in this scenario, in fact he's probably a guy I should target in front of Campbell & Claypool.

How about Goodwin in Seattle? IF Metcalf misses time and Palmer in LA with the williams high ankle sprain.
Both are interesting and it's impossible to discount Seattle at this point but with Godwin it really feels like we have seen this movie before. I mean, a 32 year old WR breaking out in his 9th season feels like a stretch.
Not saying I disagree with you on Goodwin's prospects, but look at the guy who's throwing him passes

Not saying I disagree with you on Goodwin's prospects, but look at the guy who's throwing him passes
Fair but I think IK Enemkpali, along with gross immaturity had far more to do with Geno falling off the map than anything related to his football skills.

Other possibilities:
I have Herbert also. Out of your options I would look at Heineke first. I don’t expect Goff to have St Brown (why I’m cutting Goff). I guess Mills 2nd. Mariota should put up better numbers than he does, don’t know what the issue is there.

Users who are viewing this thread