What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Waiver Wire Targets heading into week 3 (1 Viewer)

Faust

MVP
RB Gus Edwards
RB Justice Hill

Both Ravens RBs were probably claimed last week but if they are still available they should be picked up

RB Keaton Mitchell (on the Ravens IR list but potentially a stash RB)

RB Ty Chandler
RB Zack Moss
RB Tyjae Spears
RB Roschon Johnson

WR Tank Dell
WR Josh Reynolds

Ty Chandler? Why?

I am trying to provide some discussion on options for leagues of various sizes - in some leagues the waiver wire will have considerably better options than others and Ty Chandler can safely be left on the waiver wire; however, in deeper leagues there might not be a lot of options available and Ty Chandler is showing as less than 5% rostered.

Alexander Mattison looked very pedestrian on Thursday night football this week and while Ty Chandler has had subpar usage metrics so far - that switch could flip if Mattison continues to disappoint.

While it was only in the preseason - Ty Chandler showed some explosiveness and an ability to catch the ball.

I like Chandler, I’m just worried that no RB will have success running behind that line. The interior line of the Vikings is not good. Chandler’s value is if he’s utilized as a satellite back, considering the Vikings will probably have to pass a lot more to make up for lack of run game. The upside for Vikings RBs is limited until the OL problems are fixed.

I like Chandler, I’m just worried that no RB will have success running behind that line. The interior line of the Vikings is not good. Chandler’s value is if he’s utilized as a satellite back, considering the Vikings will probably have to pass a lot more to make up for lack of run game. The upside for Vikings RBs is limited until the OL problems are fixed.
Right now that's the case but things can change with the OL/run blocking. Whether it's Mattison, the OL, or some combination of the two is likely known only by the coaching staff. But if they're looking for a different look/spark, Chandler may just get a chance. IMO certainly worth a a cheap add at the end of one's roster just to find out if something is there.

I'm in a bunch of leagues where RB's on the waiver wire are scarce. Thinking ahead, in terms of who may fill in due to injuries or changing opportunity.....

Barkley appears to have an ankle injury. Breida? Brightwell or Gray?

If Akers continues to be in the doghouse (or gets traded) in LA, Zach Evans might be a wise pickup in deeper leagues, assuming he's the next man up after Williams.

If Montgomery misses time in DET, would Reynolds then fill in and share touches with Gibbs?

Lastly, if most of those guys are taken, I'm thinking of picking up Mason or Davis-Price in a couple of leagues where I have McCaffrey, even though I don't have Eli Mitchell. That offense looks good, and one of those two guys are an injury away from immediate relevance, or at least some sort of share in touches. Currently, I'm stashing Chris Evans in one of those leagues (I also have Mixon), but I'm not so sure he's a better stash than Williams or Brown. And, at the end of the day, if I'm going to stash a 3rd or 4th string RB, I'd rather have one from SF than pretty much any other team.

As for Chandler in MIN, I'm stashing him in a couple of pretty deep leagues, not because I think he's better than Mattison, but because I do think there is a chance that MIN will decide to change things up a bit if they continue to struggle to run the ball (which they undoubtedly will). Chandler has a different skillset, and is the quicker of the two backs. I don't think he'll replace Mattison, necessarily, at any point. But, the ratio of snaps/touches may change in his favor if nothing else. And, in deep leagues, it's all about snaps/touches/opportunities sometimes.

Jeff Wilson is a good stash now. He's coming off IR starting week 5. Depending on your league you can stash him on IR and not burn a bench spot. Should be a good play during bye weeks when options are thin
You'd probably have to bank on a Mostert injury the way he's producing. Of course, history hasn't been kind to Mostert with injuries, so maybe not a bad pre-emptive move.

RB Gus Edwards
RB Justice Hill

Both Ravens RBs were probably claimed last week but if they are still available they should be picked up

RB Keaton Mitchell (on the Ravens IR list but potentially a stash RB)

RB Ty Chandler
RB Zack Moss
RB Tyjae Spears
RB Roschon Johnson

WR Tank Dell
WR Josh Reynolds
Man, that's an uninspiring list. If you're going after Dell, you could also target Robert Woods. Personally, I'm skeptical that a rookie QB can sustain two, let alone three, relevant fantasy options. And Woods is obviously the unsexy, low-ceiling option. But he's been getting targets so far

Jeff Wilson is a good stash now. He's coming off IR starting week 5. Depending on your league you can stash him on IR and not burn a bench spot. Should be a good play during bye weeks when options are thin
You'd probably have to bank on a Mostert injury the way he's producing. Of course, history hasn't been kind to Mostert with injuries, so maybe not a bad pre-emptive move.
The Bank of Mostert Injuries pays out like a T-bill

A lot more options at WR. I'm not including the obvious names like Nacua and Atwell in LA, etc.

J Reed led Green Bay in targets this week. I think he'll be relevant fantasy-wise, even when Watson is healthy.
M Hollins looked good in ATL, and only had one less target than London (and one more than Pitts).
Agholor in LV BAL was second to Mark Andrews in targets. May have been a result of Meyers being out?
J Palmer continues to be the #3 option (albeit a very distant third option) in a very high-volume offense in LAC.
Claypool led CHI in targets (might be somewhat related to Mooney getting dinged?).
J Watson appears to be one of Mahomes' more reliable deep threats, catching 5 of 9 targets through 2 weeks and averaging over 20 yards per catch. Considering the conversation usually revolves around the other guys (Rice, Moore, Toney, MVS, etc.), Watson may be a sneaky free stash in case his chemistry with Mahomes . Again, talking about deeper leagues.
J Downs - 2nd in targets in IND this week.
T Dell - TEN targets for HOU this week!
R Woods - If Dell is rostered, you could do worse than Woods, who caught 5/74 on nine targets. HOU is going to be playing from behind (and passing) a lot this year.
M Wilson - Not huge volume, but he seems to have secured the WR2 role in ARI so far. Led the team in rec yards yesterday on three catches for 56 yards.
J Hyatt - Daniel Jones seems to be spreading the volume around between 4-5 WR's fairly evenly, but Hyatt may be the guy with the highest ceiling. Two big catches for 89 yards that were crucial in their come from behind win.
I Hodgins - Hodgins was the only WR to catch a TD for NY yesterday. After Hyatt, he would be my second choice stash for the NYG.

Edit: Just realized I got my wires crossed in terms of Agholor and who he plays for (BAL not LV). :doh:

Last edited:
Can you expand and explain further what you mean about Jeff Wilson after we watched Col Mustard take down the Patriots with the Candlestick in the Library?

I also was thinking about what might happen when he returns and I think he might be called upon in some games later in the season mostly to keep Mostert healthy

Raheem Mostert has never carried the ball 200x in any season ever to my knowledge
He cannot sustain being a weekly RB1

A lot more options at WR. I'm not including the obvious names like Nacua and Atwell in LA, etc.

J Reed led Green Bay in targets this week. I think he'll be relevant fantasy-wise, even when Watson is healthy.
M Hollins looked good in ATL, and only had one less target than London (and one more than Pitts).
Agholor in LV was second to Mark Andrews in targets. May have been a result of Meyers being out?
J Palmer continues to be the #3 option (albeit a very distant third option) in a very high-volume offense in LAC.
Claypool led CHI in targets (might be somewhat related to Mooney getting dinged?).
J Watson appears to be one of Mahomes' more reliable deep threats, catching 5 of 9 targets through 2 weeks and averaging over 20 yards per catch. Considering the conversation usually revolves around the other guys (Rice, Moore, Toney, MVS, etc.), Watson may be a sneaky free stash in case his chemistry with Mahomes . Again, talking about deeper leagues.
R Woods - If Dell is rostered, you could do worse than Woods, who caught 5/74 on nine targets. HOU is going to be playing from behind (and passing) a lot this year.
M Wilson - Not huge volume, but he seems to have secured the WR2 role in ARI so far. Led the team in rec yards yesterday on three catches for 56 yards.
J Hyatt - Daniel Jones seems to be spreading the volume around between 4-5 WR's fairly evenly, but Hyatt may be the guy with the highest ceiling. Two big catches for 89 yards that were crucial in their come from behind win.
I Hodgins - Hodgins was the only WR to catch a TD for NY yesterday. After Hyatt, he would be my second choice stash for the NYG.
Good additions. I do like Reed; had him in multiple leagues even before this week. The TDs weren't anything amazing -- a push pass and a blown coverage -- but folks I respect have been talking him up for awhile, so definitely worth a flyer.

It's funny that last week people were talking about dropping Drake London because you couldn't trust any Atlanta pass-catching options, and now we're talking about their WR2. But I think we've seen the Hollins movie before

The Bank of Mostert Injuries pays out like a T-bill
You're yanking my Achane.

Good call - seems to be slipping under the radar a bit. Seems like his role is starting to expand.

Agholor in LV was second to Mark Andrews in targets. May have been a result of Meyers being out?
Good additions. I do like Reed; had him in multiple leagues even before this week. The TDs weren't anything amazing -- a push pass and a blown coverage -- but folks I respect have been talking him up for awhile, so definitely worth a flyer.

It's funny that last week people were talking about dropping Drake London because you couldn't trust any Atlanta pass-catching options, and now we're talking about their WR2. But I think we've seen the Hollins movie before
For sure. My list was "in no particular" order, and some of those guys aren't of any interest to me except in the deepest of leagues. I'm talking leagues where anybody who catches a pass is getting waivers bids the following week (like 32-team dynasty, for example).

Of that list, if I was to pick my top five, I'd probably go Dell, Reed, Hyatt, Downs, and Wilson in terms of long-term value/upside. Shorter term (like for Week 3 specifically) might be slightly different, but not much. Maybe move somebody like Agholor/Claypool up a bit, depending on what's happening with guys on the depth charts who are ahead of them. Or, if I'm looking at just a one-week plug-and-play lineup fix, I'm probably taking Hodgins or Woods over Wilson, for example.

Ironically, my top five list are all younger guys (and mostly rookies). That may be because a good chunk of the remainder of the list are guys whose "movie" we have seen before. I had lots of Josh Palmer last week, and for the most part, he was a good find. This year, he sort of has the feel of somebody who will be chasing last year's production unless Allen or Williams gets hurt. That said, in watching yesterday's game, he was definitely on the field a fair amount and seemingly involved in the offense. Others like Woods, Hollins, Agholor, and Claypool have probably brought more disappointment to fantasy owners than anything else, so proceed with caution.

If you have an IR spot he should have been drafted and stashed already. I know I did.

Jeff Wilson
is a good stash now. He's coming off IR starting week 5. Depending on your league you can stash him on IR and not burn a bench spot. Should be a good play during bye weeks when options are thin
Can you expand and explain further what you mean about
Jeff Wilson
after we watched Col Mustard take down the Patriots with the Candlestick in the Library?

I also was thinking about what might happen when he returns and I think he might be called upon in some games later in the season mostly to keep
Mostert
healthy

Raheem Mostert
has never carried the ball 200x in any season ever to my knowledge
Sure. Full disclosure, I am not a Miami homer, so not sure if he's been passed by Ahmed or not (might be on the wrong train)
That aside, here are my thoughts:
  1. Last year after Wilson was acquired, the snap count was pretty even between the two. Here's a link to Footballguys.com snap count page 2022 snap count;
  2. Before his injury, most fantasy sites had him ranked higher than Mostert going into draft season;
  3. He's shown his fantasy relevance, and during bye weeks, you could do a lot worse;
  4. If Mostert gets hurt, he immediately becomes a RB2 with weekly upside; would even have trade value if Mostert gets hurt before Wilson comes off IR;
  5. Top reason to take him as a flyer - My league has an IR spot, so it doesn't cost me a bench spot and I can try to hit the parlay

Last edited:

If you have an IR spot he should have been drafted and stashed already. I know I did.
Person who drafted him needed the IR spot for Kupp, so had to drop Wilson. I swooped him up last week

Logan Thomas (TE) is another to monitor if/when he gets out of concussion protocol. 8 targets week 1 and was involved in week 2 before the BS hit he took (resulted in an ejection)

Ty Chandler? Why?

I am trying to provide some discussion on options for leagues of various sizes - in some leagues the waiver wire will have considerably better options than others and Ty Chandler can safely be left on the waiver wire; however, in deeper leagues there might not be a lot of options available and Ty Chandler is showing as less than 5% rostered.

Alexander Mattison looked very pedestrian on Thursday night football this week and while Ty Chandler has had subpar usage metrics so far - that switch could flip if Mattison continues to disappoint.

While it was only in the preseason - Ty Chandler showed some explosiveness and an ability to catch the ball.
Another thing to consider is dynasty vs redraft. A lot of players on the WW in redraft are rostered in dynasty. Having said that I've seen Chandler on the WW in dynasty too, albeit not very much. Players like Spears and Roschon Johnson won't be on the waiver wire in dynasty. Probably better to state that whenever you post a player.

Ty Chandler? Why?

Another thing to consider is dynasty vs redraft. A lot of players on the WW in redraft are rostered in dynasty. Having said that I've seen Chandler on the WW in dynasty too, albeit not very much. Players like Spears and Roschon Johnson won't be on the waiver wire in dynasty. Probably better to state that whenever you post a player.
Agreed.... I dropped Ty last week and picked up Demario Douglas.

Of the names listed here... only 3 are actually available in my primary league (1 QB, 12 Team 25 man Roster / 2 IR spots).
WRs Josh Palmer LAC, Nelson Agholor Balt & Justin Watson KCC

I like Watson for his "potential" in the KCC offense, since nobody else beside Kelce steps up ....

Ty Chandler? Why?

Of the names listed here... only 3 are actually available in my primary league (1 QB, 12 Team 25 man Roster / 2 IR spots).
WRs Josh Palmer LAC, Nelson Agholor Balt & Justin Watson KCC

I like Watson for his "potential" in the KCC offense, since nobody else beside Kelce steps up ....
Forgot about Douglas. I would definitely add him to the list in terms of long-term potential, whether it be dynasty or just rest of season redraft, although he may be (or at least have been) in Bill's doghouse for the short-term.

For Burrow managers worried about the injury or Fields managers worried about his suckitude, who are you looking at this week for streaming?
  • Stroud @ Jax
  • Russ @ Mia
  • Carr @ GB
  • Mac @ NYJ
  • Howell vs Buff
I don't know if I trust Stroud as a rookie. I don't know if I trust Russ, period. Mac and Howell don't have the best matchups.

So I guess it's Carr by default? He looked decent in Week 1; we'll see how he does tonight

Jeff Wilson
is a good stash now. He's coming off IR starting week 5. Depending on your league you can stash him on IR and not burn a bench spot. Should be a good play during bye weeks when options are thin
Can you expand and explain further what you mean about
Jeff Wilson
after we watched Col Mustard take down the Patriots with the Candlestick in the Library?

I also was thinking about what might happen when he returns and I think he might be called upon in some games later in the season mostly to keep
Mostert
healthy

Raheem Mostert
has never carried the ball 200x in any season ever to my knowledge
Sure. Full disclosure, I am not a Miami homer, so not sure if he's been passed by Ahmed or not (might be on the wrong train)
That aside, here are my thoughts:
  1. Last year after Wilson was acquired, the snap count was pretty even between the two. Here's a link to Footballguys.com snap count page 2022 snap count;
  2. Before his injury, most fantasy sites had him ranked higher than Mostert going into draft season;
  3. He's shown his fantasy relevance, and during bye weeks, you could do a lot worse;
  4. If Mostert gets hurt, he immediately becomes a RB2 with weekly upside; would even have trade value if Mostert gets hurt before Wilson comes off IR;
  5. Top reason to take him as a flyer - My league has an IR spot, so it doesn't cost me a bench spot and I can try to hit the parlay
Do we know for sure that Wilson will be ready to come off IR after week 4?

No, but it was a finger injury and abdominal injury that landed him there. I can't see those "lingering" like a hamstring or knee.

Can you expand and explain further what you mean about Jeff Wilson after we watched Col Mustard take down the Patriots with the Candlestick in the Library?

I also was thinking about what might happen when he returns and I think he might be called upon in some games later in the season mostly to keep Mostert healthy

Raheem Mostert has never carried the ball 200x in any season ever to my knowledge
Achane had 3 touches yesterday, 5, 6, and 5 yards. He looks legit, between the tackles too. He should get more action going forward. I wouldn't expect too much from Jeff Wilson.

Why all the love for Tyjae Spears? He had 27 and 49 yards rushing and one and six receivingyards the first two games. I have him on my bench, but it seems as though he's a handcuff at this point.

Hunter Henry - Probably picked up after W1 if he wasn't already drafted, but double check your shallow leagues to make sure he isn't out there. I just found him on the wire in one of my 12 team short bench leagues.

For Burrow managers worried about the injury or Fields managers worried about his suckitude, who are you looking at this week for streaming?
  • Stroud @ Jax
  • Russ @ Mia
  • Carr @ GB
  • Mac @ NYJ
  • Howell vs Buff
I don't know if I trust Stroud as a rookie. I don't know if I trust Russ, period. Mac and Howell don't have the best matchups.

So I guess it's Carr by default? He looked decent in Week 1; we'll see how he does tonight
Stafford's not available in the league where I have Burrow, but he's only 35% in Yahoo, so definitely worth checking out if he's available. He faces Cinci this week

Why all the love for Tyjae Spears? He had 27 and 49 yards rushing and one and six receivingyards the first two games. I have him on my bench, but it seems as though he's a handcuff at this point.
He's already getting a decent amount of work behind Henry and is the third down back. But yes most of his value is a handcuff and honestly one of the best. He will be a work horse if Henry happens to go down.

Could be, but every rookie is going to have some games where the defense shows him something he's never seen before and he goes 117/0/3
Carr definitely the safest call.

I was just shocked by how much Stroud has been putting it in the air. And I think rushing yards are still possible from him.
I already picked up Carr because I could do it today before MNF and bypass waivers. But I'll do some more research before waivers run tomorrow night and consider other options

anyone grabbing Calvin Austin in yahoo leagues preemptively?
Picked him up last week after 6 Targets in Week 1

Went Austin over 30 yo A Robinson. Figured Pickens will draw # 1 DB and Robinson looked like he lost (half) step...
Cal is doing a great job proving he deserves a roster spot. Will be interesting to see how things shake out. Most likely, ARob is a possession and red zone threat. Cal is lower volume, big splash play guy. Tonight, he gets a chance to show if he can be more.

You need a high floor - go Robinson
High ceiling - Calvin Austin

Ty Chandler? Why?

Also have Ty and want to get Demario in dynasty before it's too late. I wish I had your courage to pull the trigger. I think people might be right on Chandler. He's probably closer to getting more opportunity based on Mattison's play, but I can't say I'm optimistic about that translating to fantasy points.

That fumble might have rescued me on Douglas and maybe bought me some time as he works out of Bill's doghouse. Very interested in adding him and Zach Evans based on the Akers developments. Chandler, Likely, Elliott, and McLaughlin (usage) making their individual cases for the drop.

It really felt to me like we were on the verge of witnessing The Demario Douglas Game last night until that forced fumble by the Miami defense. “Pop” is fascinating to me, I think he’ll be a thing in this Pats offense sooner or later. How much of a thing I’m not sure, but I’m keeping an eye on him.

It really felt to me like we were on the verge of witnessing The Demario Douglas Game last night until that forced fumble by the Miami defense. “Pop” is fascinating to me, I think he’ll be a thing in this Pats offense sooner or later. How much of a thing I’m not sure, but I’m keeping an eye on him.

Yep, I can't help but feel like he might have been a re-draft headliner this week without the fumble. He still might have shown enough on a SNF game for one of my dynasty leaguemates to take notice.

I held off in a 24x12 based on 6th round, size concerns and expecting the usual BB rookie treatment. However, the fact that he got as much run as he did in his first game and start of game 2 is noteworthy, along with being held out of the final preseason game. The starts by Dell and Flowers help with the size concerns. Nacua helps with the lack of draft capital. Still have reservations based on other competing options for the roster spot, but I think I might have to put in a claim before he's gone forever.

Users who are viewing this thread