What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Waiver Wire Targets heading into week 3 (1 Viewer)

Hoping Hunt gets off his couch quickly, because my RB corps is in shambles. I drafted Nick Chubb at the end of the 1st, and then drank the koolaid on Cam Akers and Rachaad White. It's safe to say my current RB1 may not even be in the NFL at the moment.
Anyone know if there's any bad blood between Hunt and Cleveland or if he left on good terms?

Left on very good terms AFAIK, he's known as an affable locker room guy. They let him walk bc they felt he had lost speed (4th Q down.)

Everyone seems to be sleeping on ZACH ERTZ , and I get it.
However, he's had 10 targets and 8 in the two weeks so far.

I know its just a low end TE1 (probably) but if you are desperate at TE, I'm snagging him in a couple spots.

He has only had 77 yards combined, and NO TOUCHDOWNS, which is probably why most haven't noticed him. He seems to be a popular checkdown target for Josh Dobbs so far.
If they keep this pace up, he is definitely someone you can grab free/cheap now if you are TE needy.

I have the #1 waiver claim in a ppr/ppt league, and I have Freiermuth. I won't be using my #1 claim to get Ertz, as I fully expect him to still be there after waivers run.

:football:

Week 3 is when panic sets in for many. Dropped in one league this morning:

* T. Spears
* T. Bigsby
* C. Akers (could land in a good spot)

* T. Spears
* T. Bigsby
Some information why you should grab spears. Actual league winning upside if Henry was to get hurt.
Was thinking the same thing.

Would have to drop McKinnon for him.
I'd do that in a heartbeat. We know who McKinnon is right now, and while he can certainly flash, it will always be hard to start him with confidence. Invest in Spears' upside.

In my case, thinking of picking him up in one league as soon as Saquon is declared out. In another, I'd have to drop Tank Dell for him. Leaning toward doing it because I currently only have three RBs on my roster

* T. Spears
* T. Bigsby
Spears is worth a shot. Bigsby only if you have a roster spot to burn. As for Akers, I don't get it. The guy had the RB1 job and lost it; we're supposed to assume he's going to switch to another team mid-season and suddenly become fantasy relevant? You're hanging your hat on a lot of hypotheticals there.

IMO the minute a guy is a healthy scratch I lose interest in him for fantasy. I suppose it's possible he of all people could turn things around, but I would play the percentages and bet that he doesn't

* T. Spears
* T. Bigsby
Some information why you should grab spears. Actual league winning upside if Henry was to get hurt.

I'd do that in a heartbeat. We know who McKinnon is right now, and while he can certainly flash, it will always be hard to start him with confidence. Invest in Spears' upside.
Agreed. McKinnon feels like chasing last year's TD numbers. It's not a terrible strategy but TDs are the most fungible stat.

* T. Spears
* T. Bigsby
Spears is worth a shot. Bigsby only if you have a roster spot to burn. As for Akers, I don't get it. The guy had the RB1 job and lost it; we're supposed to assume he's going to switch to another team mid-season and suddenly become fantasy relevant? You're hanging your hat on a lot of hypotheticals there.

IMO the minute a guy is a healthy scratch I lose interest in him for fantasy. I suppose it's possible he of all people could turn things around, but I would play the percentages and bet that he doesn't

Are there any stats on players that were healthy inactives…?

Hoping Hunt gets off his couch quickly, because my RB corps is in shambles. I drafted Nick Chubb at the end of the 1st, and then drank the koolaid on Cam Akers and Rachaad White. It's safe to say my current RB1 may not even be in the NFL at the moment.
Anyone know if there's any bad blood between Hunt and Cleveland or if he left on good terms?

Left on very good terms AFAIK, he's known as an affable locker room guy. They let him walk bc they felt he had lost speed (4th Q down.)
The more I think about Hunt, the less interested I am. He basically did nothing in Cleveland last year, and then they let him go in favor of Ford. Now we're supposed to believe he's going to return to Cleveland and vault ahead of Ford? Based on what evidence? He's a handcuff at best, and not a particularly valuable one

Did he find it?

* T. Spears
* T. Bigsby

As in stats they produced after being scratched? No idea, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say the aggregate numbers aren't encouraging.

I suspect what you really want to know is whether there are many examples of guys who were scratches at one point and later became starters. Other than Akers himself last year, only one I can think of off the top of my head is Knowshon Moreno back in 2012. Not sure if he was ever a healthy scratch, but I know at one point he was demoted to the practice squad, then worked his way back into the starting lineup by the end of the year, and the following year was an RB1

* T. Spears
* T. Bigsby

Agreed. McKinnon feels like chasing last year's TD numbers. It's not a terrible strategy but TDs are the most fungible stat.
Also, while I think KC will eventually figure things out on offense, they're not really in the "get a piece of that offense" tier the way they've been in previous years

The more I think about Hunt, the less interested I am. He basically did nothing in Cleveland last year, and then they let him go in favor of Ford. Now we're supposed to believe he's going to return to Cleveland and vault ahead of Ford? Based on what evidence? He's a handcuff at best, and not a particularly valuable one
Yeah, I tend to think Hunt was added simply because he knows the team/system, and they need depth at the position. I think it's a longshot that he just vaults past a younger Ford (who also beat him out last year). If I have to choose, I'm certainly going after Ford first, and Hunt as more of a flier longshot in deeper leagues where I have a spot open.

* T. Spears
* T. Bigsby

As in stats they produced after being scratched? No idea, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say the aggregate numbers aren't encouraging.

I suspect what you really want to know is whether there are many examples of guys who were scratches at one point and later became starters. Other than Akers himself last year, only one I can think of off the top of my head is Knowshon Moreno back in 2012. Not sure if he was ever a healthy scratch, but I know at one point he was demoted to the practice squad, then worked his way back into the starting lineup by the end of the year, and the following year was an RB1
I think he's just looking for info, rather than stats. As in maybe a list of players who were healthy scratches, etc.

Yeah, I tend to think Hunt was added simply because he knows the team/system, and they need depth at the position. I think it's a longshot that he just vaults past a younger Ford (who also beat him out last year). If I have to choose, I'm certainly going after Ford first, and Hunt as more of a flier longshot in deeper leagues where I have a spot open.
He won't vault past but you're kidding yourself if you think this won't be anything but a 50/50 split.

Kendre Miller seems like a really good add this week...

Jamaal has a serious hamstring injury.

Coach said Miller is fully healthy again.

Tony Jones is a nobody

He has a week to shine all on his own. Who knows if he does well, he could take the Jamaal Williams role and get 10-15 touches a game. Kamara isn't a workhorse rb.

In my redraft league where Chubb and Dobbins were my RBs 1&2. I'd make a joke but the whole situation on a human scale makes me sick.
Obviously in RB scramble mode, rest of the team hasn't taken on much water yet other than missing a week of Andrews and Hurts being way below expectations.

This is a full PPR league start 2 RBs with 2 flexes so I can backfill for a while with my WRs unless that also goes south.

Brian Robinson RB1, Warren RB2, Justice Hill RB3-Gus Edwards RB4,
Swung a trade Perine for Roschon for the possibility of upside- need some possible RB1 weeks in my future
Missed out on Ford, grabbed Craig Reynonds last night on waivers. Feel like there's a chance he inherits a bigger Montgomery workload than gibbs folks are hoping for.
However, there are still some enticing options on the ww in terms of guys that are better stash material, given Monty's injury is likely short term (~2 weeks)

Spears
Josh Kelley (dropped)
Jeff Wilson
Chandler
Charb (I dropped him)
Bigsby
Kendre Miller
Achane
Pierre Strong
Tucker
Tony Jones Jr.

Spears probably the most talented of the group and has some stand alone flex value, however not unseating the king without an injury.
Josh Kelley- Jag's gonna Jag. Not sure this is what I'm really doing with this roster spot.
Jeff Wilson- might be very pluggable into the lineup in a few weeks. Upside may be limited due to his role as the steady eddy on a team with Achane/Mostert and even Ahmed there.
Chandler- Mattison looked like an absolute turd and the offense scores a lot but the run blocking is below average and the team showed no inclination to giving Chandler a real shot, y.e.t.
Charbs- KW is a better runner and the team didn't do what I thought they might with usage. Strictly a handcuff I think.
Bigsby is involved but similar to KW/Etienne is dominating the backfield. No signs the team is looking to switch that up.
Miller- hurt constantly and on a team that seems like it will be a 3 man committee almost regardless of which other ones are hurt.
Achane- too small to really take over.
Strong- meh. Might be a flex value
Tucker- Rachaad White seems to have a big, big lead here. Nothing on the radar for this to be a breakout anytime soon.

Last edited:
Ferguson is looking like a fav Target for Dak, especially in the red zone.

Justice Hill is still out there and looks like the better back than Edwards but the coaching staff looks to trust Edwards more.

Pretty high on Spears but like others said no one is taking Henry's role w/o an injury.

Picked up Hunt but I'm not sold on the situation.

In my redraft league where Chubb and Dobbins were my RBs 1&2. I'd make a joke but the whole situation on a human scale makes me sick.
Obviously in RB scramble mode, rest of the team hasn't taken on much water yet other than missing a week of Andrews and Hurts being way below expectations.

This is a full PPR league start 2 RBs with 2 flexes so I can backfill for a while with my WRs unless that also goes south.

Brian Robinson RB1, Warren RB2, Justice Hill RB3-Gus Edwards RB4,
Swung a trade Perine for Roschon for the possibility of upside- need some possible RB1 weeks in my future
Missed out on Ford, grabbed Craig Reynonds last night on waivers. Feel like there's a chance he inherits a bigger Montgomery workload than gibbs folks are hoping for.
However, there are still some enticing options on the ww in terms of guys that are better stash material, given Monty's injury is likely short term (~2 weeks)

Spears
Josh Kelley (dropped)
Jeff Wilson
Chandler
Charb (I dropped him)
Bigsby
Kendre Miller
Achane
Pierre Strong
Tucker
Tony Jones Jr.

Spears probably the most talented of the group and has some stand alone flex value, however not unseating the king without an injury.
Josh Kelley- Jag's gonna Jag. Not sure this is what I'm really doing with this roster spot.
Jeff Wilson- might be very pluggable into the lineup in a few weeks. Upside may be limited due to his role as the steady eddy on a team with Achane/Mostert and even Ahmed there.
Chandler- Mattison looked like an absolute turd and the offense scores a lot but the run blocking is below average and the team showed no inclination to giving Chandler a real shot, y.e.t.
Charbs- KW is a better runner and the team didn't do what I thought they might with usage. Strictly a handcuff I think.
Bigsby is involved but similar to KW/Etienne is dominating the backfield. No signs the team is looking to switch that up.
Miller- hurt constantly and on a team that seems like it will be a 3 man committee almost regardless of which other ones are hurt.
Achane- too small to really take over.
Strong- meh. Might be a flex value
Tucker- Rachaad White seems to have a big, big lead here. Nothing on the radar for this to be a breakout anytime soon.
Id pick up the one who backs up the starter who gets hurt...

In other words its a complete guessing game.

He won't vault past but you're kidding yourself if you think this won't be anything but a 50/50 split.
You have way more confidence in your predictive powers than I do. I can make some educated guesses, but I have no idea how it will actually shake out.

And my educated guess, based on Hunt's usage last year, is that he's mostly cooked, Cleveland knows first-hand that he's mostly cooked, and he's more of a warm body than someone they will be relying on heavily. I had him on two teams last year, and I saw his early-season usage (if not 50/50, maybe something like 60/40 or 65/35) decline precipitously throughout the year. The initial theory was that they were protecting him from getting hurt so they could shop him at the trade deadline, but when the deadline passed and he was still on the Browns, his usage remained in the toilet even as their season fell apart.

He could still very easily end up with an equal split. I'm just not seeing much evidence that it will happen.

Kendre Miller if you want an upside play this week if Williams is declared out. Also a good stash since Williams has looked bad so far. Could see him carve out a role even with Kamara back.

Picked up Josh Reynolds for Van Jefferson. really didn’t want to, but I have ARSB and Goff. I have a feeling he isn’t near as good if ARSB misses time.

I agree that it will probably be a split. If we were betting, I would absolutely take my chances that it's going to be anything but a 50/50 split. All I'm saying is, if I have to choose between the two, I'll take the guy who played (and played well) last week over the guy who hasn't played in a year. Not to mention, the guy CLE decided to keep around over the other guy.

Do I think Ford is likely to get the same share of work that Chubb did? Of course not. But, with RB's dropping like flies like we've seen through two weeks, beggars can't be choosers. I'll take anybody who I think stands a chance to get some work. And, on my list of guys to target this week, Ford is higher than Hunt for me.

I agree that it will probably be a split. If we were betting, I would absolutely take my chances that it's going to be anything but a 50/50 split. All I'm saying is, if I have to choose between the two, I'll take the guy who played (and played well) last week over the guy who hasn't played in a year. Not to mention, the guy CLE decided to keep around over the other guy.

Do I think Ford is likely to get the same share of work that Chubb did? Of course not. But, with RB's dropping like flies like we've seen through two weeks, beggars can't be choosers. I'll take anybody who I think stands a chance to get some work. And, on my list of guys to target this week, Ford is higher than Hunt for me.
Agree, I do think their passing game takes a big hit though. If they pass more because of Ford in there, that isn’t good. teams should stack the box and make Watson beat them.

Agree, I do think their passing game takes a big hit though. If they pass more because of Ford in there, that isn’t good. teams should stack the box and make Watson beat them.
I doubt teams will stack the box more with Chubb gone.

Picked up Josh Reynolds for Van Jefferson. really didn’t want to, but I have ARSB and Goff. I have a feeling he isn’t near as good if ARSB misses time.

Raymond will see more snaps. LaPorta seems like the guy who will move the sticks. Goff will spread it around, no one gets peppered like St on that offense.

* T. Spears
* T. Bigsby
For those who didnt click this.....I know its a really small sample size but pretty impressive nonetheless:

Tyjae Spears currently has a higher yards per attempt (6.9) than Christian McCaffrey and Bijan Robinson
.More yards after contact (58) than Josh Jacobs and Rhamondre Stevenson.
More broken tackles (5) than Najee Harris, Tony Pollard and Derrick Henry
.More first downs (5) than Austin Ekeler and Travis Etienne Jr

.And the highest rushing grade via PFF over EVERY single RB in the NFL

In the last 4 years Derrick Henry has carried the ball 1,249 times. There is no way to predict the health of a 29 year rb but when you carry that high of a load you are certainly more likely to break down than a rb with far fewer carries. Spears should be near the top of handcuffs owned in FF imo.

Last edited:

* T. Spears
* T. Bigsby
For those who didnt click this.....I know its a really small sample size but pretty impressive nonetheless:

Tyjae Spears currently has a higher yards per attempt (6.9) than Christian McCaffrey and Bijan Robinson

PFF >> ACL

* T. Spears
* T. Bigsby

A nice start on 11 attempts. He’s also got Derrick Henry in front of him which dramatically limits his value.

* T. Spears
* T. Bigsby

A nice start on 11 attempts. He’s also got Derrick Henry in front of him which dramatically limits his value.
Right, but if Henry goes down that lottery ticket gets paid.

He passes the eye test for sure.

* T. Spears
* T. Bigsby

Agreed. In that one instance, he could be very productive. He’s a flex play prayer until then.

* T. Spears
* T. Bigsby

That is kinda the point. He's an elite handcuff with league winning upside. Henry is getting older and has a lot of carries over his career. He's someone who should not be on waivers anywhere. He's already the third down back and if Henry ever went down he would get bell cow type touches on all downs.

* T. Spears
* T. Bigsby

I think he could be good short term (a few years).

How does everyone rate hunt vs Akers now that both of those players have landed on new teams? Both are dart throws and likely worthless but if one can make it into the starting role then they bring lots of value. Hunt with the exception of last year played well for the browns (speaking as a past Chubb owner who hated him). Is he more like 2022 or was that an outlier and the browns were just hoping to save some money on the backup role this year? Akers looked great at the end of last year. No idea what was going on but will a change of scenery to a coach that know him give him a chance to take over the role from mattison?

How does everyone rate hunt vs Akers now that both of those players have landed on new teams? Both are dart throws and likely worthless but if one can make it into the starting role then they bring lots of value. Hunt with the exception of last year played well for the browns (speaking as a past Chubb owner who hated him). Is he more like 2022 or was that an outlier and the browns were just hoping to save some money on the backup role this year? Akers looked great at the end of last year. No idea what was going on but will a change of scenery to a coach that know him give him a chance to take over the role from mattison?

I think CAkers is far from worthless. He’s talented and he’s got a new opportunity. I can’t speak to his (presumed) behavioral problems but landing on a team with a coach that knows him is a big plus too.

Akers >>>>>> Hunt. Mattison looks flat out pedestrian and Akers is a marginally talented starting rb type player. Hunt only has value because he knows the system. He looked washed up last year.

* T. Spears
* T. Bigsby

It's still a small sample size BUT KC has limited McKinnons touches until later the 2nd half of the season in both 2021 and 2022, and then he was damn good. Maybe age and injury factor, but they seem to keep him in storage until the playoff push.

It takes patience to hold him, but there is some history at this point.

I think CAkers is far from worthless. He’s talented and he’s got a new opportunity. I can’t speak to his (presumed) behavioral problems but landing on a team with a coach that knows him is a big plus too.
Kinda sucks for Chandler owners

Have to say that I agree with Matthew Berry on Hunt. Other than knowing the CLE system, there is literally nothing about Hunt that makes me want to grab him in almost any format.

"The first shoe to drop was Hunt returning to his former team, the Cleveland Browns, to solidify their RB depth chart after losing Nick Chubb for the year.​
I know people have fond memories of Hunt being a fantasy contributor back in Kansas City, but those days are long gone. His rushing efficiency fell off a cliff last year, and every team in the league passed him over multiple times this offseason.​
If you are trying to figure out how to value Hunt, let me put it this way for you;​
Hunt is Melvin Gordon, who is Kenyan Drake, who is <insert below replacement-level, practice-squad caliber RB here who was added to a 53-man roster for depth and insurance purposes>.​
We can move along…"​

Hunt is there for security only. Ford was drafted in '22 while both Hunt and Chubb were on the roster. Then, they don't grab another RB this year AND let hunt walk. so the writing on the wall is that Ford is the de facto RB1 for the browns, the volume guy, probably as good a version of Nick Chubb as you'll see, but he does add the receiving capabilities too..this kid should kill it going forward. and chubb is 28 yrs old, entering that washed up has been age that D. Henry is now at. pretty good chance we see a changing of the guard here, Ford the #1 going forward, like when LJ took over for Priest Holmes back in the day. maybe not that drastic but Ford is THE guy this year and likely beyond that.

other waiver targets:
nico collins of course
CJ stroud gets a lot of garbage time passing yards.
baker mayfield if un-rostered. 2 good games is a trend, thats likely to continue.
Josh reynolds
Joshua Kelley
Jordan Love
Gus Edwards

Brandin Cooks just got dropped in one league I'm in. he wont play this week but early next week I'd consider picking him up. I noticed him getting open on a few routes in week 1 where (for whatever reason) Dak didnt throw it to him.
In his absence in week 2 no WR on the roster made a good case for being the WR2 and I do think dak is good enough to support more than one 1000 yard WR. I think hes that guy. if hes not on your wire, he can probably be had for reasonably cheap in trade.

Users who are viewing this thread