What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Week 16 Picks*** (1 Viewer)

Jeff Pasquino

Footballguy
First of all, take these all with a grain of salt.

Secondly, these are for educational purposes only.

Third - I think it is a major mistake to try and predict all games.

My ranking system is based on "Stars", which gauges how strongly I feel about each pick.

Week 15 was a losing week at 4-8 – but hey, that's bound to happen. It was a great run for the past month-plus, so a loser has to be expected to come. The lesson learned here is that if you don't love an NFL Week, don't heavily invest. I should have known that, but that's how it goes sometimes.

So the record now stands at 73-54-2 on the year, still a very respectable 57.5% and a winner overall any way you slice it. As I've said before, none of that helps this week and you have to stay humble.

Turns out that I seem to like a lot of action this week – we'll see how that works out.

Here we go:

*ONE STAR GAMES*

SATURDAY: Baltimore Ravens (+4.5) at Dallas Cowboys - (1 star)

This is a tricky one, and I almost want to say "stay away", but the numbers tell me that Baltimore should actually be a "pick 'em" here or favored by a point. Both teams need this for their playoff hopes, but Baltimore actually needs it more. Dallas will likely still be alive for the postseason even with a loss, but Baltimore may need to be 11-5 to continue their season beyond Week 17. The Ravens have scored a lot more points than many people realize (against teams not from Pittsburgh) so they could keep pace with Dallas if the scores start to elevate, but I expect Baltimore to take the air out and use McClain, Rice and McGahee to run it 40+ times against the Cowboys. Dallas will be riding an emotional high as all the ex-Cowboys join "Jerrah" on the sidelines for the closing of Texas Stadium, but once the game begins none of that matters. Marion Barber will likely be out of this one or barely used, but no matter – Baltimore hasn't allowed a 100+ yard rusher in over two years. It will come down to Romo vs. the Ravens' secondary, so Ed Reed and Fabian Washington's health will be key. If both are active I think Baltimore steals this game and wins a low scoring contest, 20-17.

Arizona Cardinals (+8) at New England Patriots - (1 star)

This game has obvious weather issues, but assuming that the weather is not unbearable the Cardinals should put up solid numbers. I would wait to the last minute (or hour) to see how bad the conditions are before picking this one (so if the weather is bad, don't take this one). Then again, if it is really bad, the game should not be more than a touchdown in either direction so the Cards should cover as well. There aren't too many scenarios where Arizona loses by 10 or more, so Arizona looks to be a reasonably safe play.

Carolina Panthers at New York Giants (OVER 37.5) - (1 star)

The weather is factor in yet another game, but both teams would rather run than pass in most instances anyway. This isn't great news to either Steve Smith or the quarterbacks in this one, but both teams could push 200 yards on the ground with their stable of backs. As long as the winds aren't too bad (and they are not expected to be too violent, but this is The Meadowlands) both kickers should also be effective. Both defenses have the ability to make big plays as well which should help to put points on the scoreboard, and if either team trails too much they have the ability to throw enough to score quickly. The game will be a closely fought, 24-17 type of game.

New York Jets (-3.5) at Seattle Seahawks - (1 star)

Brett Favre gets to say goodbye (again) to Mike Holmgren is his final home game as the head coach in Seattle. The Jets desperately need this game to hold serve and prep for their clash with Miami next Sunday (Night?). Thomas Jones will be the deciding factor as he should rack up tons of yards on the ground and score yet again, and Leon Washington will continue to be one of the best secondary backs in the NFL. Seattle has played well with Seneca Wallace under center and both Deion Branch and John Carlson can produce, but I don't think it will be enough. Jets 27-20.

Houston Texans at Oakland Raiders (UNDER 44) - (1 star)

Oakland has one question on their mind – is it over yet? Two games to go and their starting receivers this week are Johnny Lee Higgins and Chaz Schilens. Yikes. The only possible ray of hope is if Darren McFadden can show any signs of promise for next year. Tom Cable would change the channel if he could. Houston's Steve Slaton and Andre Johnson will have field days. Houston wins this one big, but the under here is simply because I don't think Oakland gets 10 points. Houston 31-7.

**TWO STAR GAMES**

Philadelphia Eagles (-4.5) at Washington Redskins - (2 stars)

Normally when these two NFC East teams get together it is a close and hard-fought game. Right now, this one is far from normal. The Redskins are mailing it in at 7-7 and without a healthy Clinton Portis. Jason Campbell is complaining of being "tired" and the disappointment has spread to the fan base with this team. There will be many empty seats in Landover this week at FedEx Field as it is going to be cold and wet and miserable for a late kickoff. Eagles fans who want tickets to this game won't have trouble getting them at all, so there goes any real semblance of a home field advantage. Bottom line is that Philly has much more to play for and that Washington really doesn't (despite not being mathematically eliminated from the playoffs yet). Eagles should win this one handily, 34-13.

Atlanta Falcons at Minnesota Vikings (OVER 42.5) - (2 stars)

Atlanta and Tampa Bay was a low scoring affair last week that headed into overtime, but that's a different defense than what the Falcons will see on Sunday. Minnesota is missing Pat Williams and has a soft secondary, which should have Roddy White and Matt Ryan salivating. Michael Turner should also put up 100+ yards but Adrian Peterson wants that rushing title and should match or beat Turner's production. I see both teams racking up 20+ points and it will take 24 to win this one, so that gives me 24-20 as the worst case – that tells me to go "over" here. Plus both kickers are pretty good, which certainly helps.

***THREE STAR GAMES***

New Orleans Saints (-7) at Detroit Lions - (3 stars)

News flash – Detroit's pretty bad. Not as bad as they were on Thanksgiving (which is probably the first and last time many saw the Lions this year), but they're still struggling. Dan Orlovsky actually had the Lions tied in the fourth quarter but the Colts were just too much when they kicked it up a notch. Detroit has two weapons on offense – Calvin Johnson and Kevin Smith. Both of them could certainly find the end zone on Sunday, but the Detriot defense (or should I say "etroit") can't stop Pierre Thomas or Drew Brees. Brees is talking about his assault on Marino's yardage record and is just over 750 yards away with two games left. Look for Thomas to top 150 total yards and Brees to push 400 as New Orleans plays "fast break football" all day. The Saints don't have anything to play for other than stats, so look for Detroit to fall behind early and not be able to keep up at all. New Orleans 45, Detroit 27.

Good luck this week, and remember that if you are tempting fate and actually wagering on these games to bet with your head and not over it.

Enjoy the games.

Lastly, the record:

Week 1 - Didn't post a thread.

Week 2 - Record:4-3-1. (A tad charitable on the push, but the line moved from 3.5 to 3 on CAR/CHI).

Week 3 - Record: 1-2.

Week 4 - Record: 4-3.

Week 5 - Record: 4-2.

Week 6 - Record: 2-3.

Week 7 - Record: 5-8.

Week 8 - Record: 4-5.

Week 9 - Record: 7-3.

Week 10 - Record: 7-3.

Week 11 - Record: 6-4.

Week 12 - Record: 4-4.

Week 13 - Part 1 - Record: 1-0.

Week 13 - Part 2 - Record: 10-0-1.

Week 14 - Record: 10-6.

Week 15 – Record: 4-8.

Overall: 73-54-2.

Last edited by a moderator:
i like the Jets, Eagles, and Saints picks.

gotta disagree with the Cards though. they dont travel to the East well, and they're mailin it in till the playoffs. bad weather. the Pats have everything to play for. and Boldin is out. i think the Pats win by a couple TD's.

i think your anaysis on the Cowboys/Ravens COULD be right, but i dont think it will be. Romo has been stellar at home. last reg. season game at Texas Stadium. D.Ware is gonna be hurassing Flacco (a rookie) all day. Dallas' D has emerged this second half of the season. i think Flacco is in for a long night.

the Raven's D is a very good unit. and they could definately win the game for the Ravens. Romo will make some bad throws. but i'll take Romo over Flacco

Cowboys by a TD.

i like the Jets, Eagles, and Saints picks.gotta disagree with the Cards though. they dont travel to the East well, and they're mailin it in till the playoffs. bad weather. the Pats have everything to play for. and Boldin is out. i think the Pats win by a couple TD's.i think your anaysis on the Cowboys/Ravens COULD be right, but i dont think it will be. Romo has been stellar at home. last reg. season game at Texas Stadium. D.Ware is gonna be hurassing Flacco (a rookie) all day. Dallas' D has emerged this second half of the season. i think Flacco is in for a long night.the Raven's D is a very good unit. and they could definately win the game for the Ravens. Romo will make some bad throws. but i'll take Romo over FlaccoCowboys by a TD.
I have it as about this:% chance Baltimore wins: 40%% chance Baltimore loses by 4 or less: 20-25%.% chance Dallas wins by 5 or more: 35-40%.I'll take that chance.

The Arizona and Buffalo lines were a couple of my favorites this week, glad to see you like them too. The Jets make me nervous though, I just don't feel like I can trust them at all the way they've played lately.

The Arizona and Buffalo lines were a couple of my favorites this week, glad to see you like them too. The Jets make me nervous though, I just don't feel like I can trust them at all the way they've played lately.
Seattle is banged up inside and without Leroy Hill.Thomas Jones is a must start and will have 100+ and a TD very easy.

i like the Jets, Eagles, and Saints picks.gotta disagree with the Cards though. they dont travel to the East well, and they're mailin it in till the playoffs. bad weather. the Pats have everything to play for. and Boldin is out. i think the Pats win by a couple TD's.i think your anaysis on the Cowboys/Ravens COULD be right, but i dont think it will be. Romo has been stellar at home. last reg. season game at Texas Stadium. D.Ware is gonna be hurassing Flacco (a rookie) all day. Dallas' D has emerged this second half of the season. i think Flacco is in for a long night.the Raven's D is a very good unit. and they could definately win the game for the Ravens. Romo will make some bad throws. but i'll take Romo over FlaccoCowboys by a TD.
You like favorites.

Good write up Mr. Pasquino.

I'm personally just on the Falcons and Panthers this week spreads only. Leaning towards a teaser just cause it's week 16 and things seem to get crazier and crazier.

Good write up Mr. Pasquino. I'm personally just on the Falcons and Panthers this week spreads only. Leaning towards a teaser just cause it's week 16 and things seem to get crazier and crazier.
"Mr."Is that for real?With ya on the Falcons and Panthers though...
I try and call any of the staff 'Mr.' as often as possible. Not because I think they're old or anything (aren't they all like 28 anyway) but because it's just a mixture of respect and also because I am nothing if not an occasional brown noser. :lmao:

Good write up Mr. Pasquino. I'm personally just on the Falcons and Panthers this week spreads only. Leaning towards a teaser just cause it's week 16 and things seem to get crazier and crazier.
"Mr."Is that for real?With ya on the Falcons and Panthers though...
I try and call any of the staff 'Mr.' as often as possible. Not because I think they're old but because it's just a mixture of respect and because I am nothing if not an occasional brown noser. :goodposting:
Fair enough, Mr. Galligan.

Can't believe your strongest play is on the Saints. I'm surprised. I think the Lions are a GREAT play.

Don't forget that if Tampa beats San Diego (which they should), Denver's game is basically meaningless. They will have wrapped up the West before they even take the field, and Shanny is not going to want to get guys hurt the next two games. Not to mention the fact that Buffalo's strength - the ground game - plays right into Denver's weakness. I give Buffalo a shot to win even if Tampa loses. I'd hate to see how many yards Lynch gains against Denver's backup defensive players.

To that end, submit the following parlay on the money line.

Tampa Bay -185

Buffalo +235

Every $100 you risk will win you $416.08.

If you throw New England in the parlay (-345 on the ML), it brings a $100 wager up to a payout of $565.67.

GLTA!

Can't believe your strongest play is on the Saints. I'm surprised. I think the Lions are a GREAT play.

Don't forget that if Tampa beats San Diego (which they should), Denver's game is basically meaningless. They will have wrapped up the West before they even take the field, and Shanny is not going to want to get guys hurt the next two games. Not to mention the fact that Buffalo's strength - the ground game - plays right into Denver's weakness. I give Buffalo a shot to win even if Tampa loses. I'd hate to see how many yards Lynch gains against Denver's backup defensive players.

Tampa Bay -185

Buffalo +235

If you throw New England in the parlay (-345 on the ML), it brings a $100 wager up to a payout of $565.67.

GLTA!
Good points - I also like the Lions +7 a bit. Buf&Denver is a stayaway game to me but I can see taking the points. Like KC +4 - the Fish are scraping by bad teams at home, averaging 20pts and giving up 19 with an incredible unsustainable turnover rate...just feels like a FG game to me.

Tampa -3.5 is appealing too. I'm not sure if there's a refusal to adjust to the fact that the Chargers aren't any good, or if the Bucs are just undervalued after a couple tough road losses, but I'll take my chances giving the FG+hook.

I like the Steelers -2.5 at Ten. With Haynesworth and Vanden Bosch out, the Ten D isn't so impressive. Steelers have better D, comparable running game, much better receivers, and MUCH better QB. What's not to like. They are also on an upward trend while Ten is sliding...

Tampa Bay -185

Buffalo +235

GLTA!
Good points - I also like the Lions +7 a bit. Buf&Denver is a stayaway game to me but I can see taking the points. Like KC +4 - the Fish are scraping by bad teams at home, averaging 20pts and giving up 19 with an incredible unsustainable turnover rate...just feels like a FG game to me.

Tampa -3.5 is appealing too. I'm not sure if there's a refusal to adjust to the fact that the Chargers aren't any good, or if the Bucs are just undervalued after a couple tough road losses, but I'll take my chances giving the FG+hook.
I'm going to shy away from the Detroit play. Half the team has the flu.Although.... that might actually help them. LOL.

A few quick points.

I agree it is getting sketchier to pick these.

The Lions suck. New Orleans should get 38+ today. I can't see Detroit getting to 31.

Good points on the DEN/BUF game, but I think SD wins it.

There's many ways to pick games, but fading someone is usually a weak call in itself. If you like the other sides, fine and good luck. In general don't fade someone in particular just because.

Good luck everyone.

A few quick points.I agree it is getting sketchier to pick these.The Lions suck. New Orleans should get 38+ today. I can't see Detroit getting to 31.Good points on the DEN/BUF game, but I think SD wins it.There's many ways to pick games, but fading someone is usually a weak call in itself. If you like the other sides, fine and good luck. In general don't fade someone in particular just because. Good luck everyone.
Yeah I've never liked fading either. I can't realistically bet the opposite of someone else's picks and feel comfortable with it just because they 'look' to be incorrect or 'with the public'.

Got killed by the 4PM starts.

Closed with the over on SNF.

5-7, felt much worse. Nailing the 3-star helps.

Somehow I think I'll still pick games on Week 17, even though I think I shouldn't right now....

Users who are viewing this thread