What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Welker vs. Decker (1 Viewer)

Ghost Rider

Footballguy
Who ends up being the better play this year? It seems like nearly everyone has Welker ranked higher, and he went for 20-close to 30 in nearly every auction I did, while Decker was going for somewhere in the teens most of the time (although sometimes a tad higher or even a tad lower...he went for 10 bucks in one auction I was in!). I think that is madness. Do I think Decker will score 13 times again this year? No. But he should still put solid WR2 numbers in the fantasy world, IMO, and this idea that he is gonna take a backseat to Welker as far as targets go seems off to me. Granted, it will vary from week to week, and I am sure Welker will outproduce him tonight and this thread will get bumped right away :lol: , but I think over the course of the season, Decker will not only be the better value based on the respective ADP of both, but outscore Welker altogether.

I've seen enough of Decker to be comfortable in my belief that he's just not all that good a football player. I think his results last year were 100% the result of situation, and his situation got a whole lot worse in the off-season.

I don't think he'll be regarded as rosterable by mid-season.

I've seen enough of Decker to be comfortable in my belief that he's just not all that good a football player. I think his results last year were 100% the result of situation, and his situation got a whole lot worse in the off-season.

Interesting article in today's Denver Post...Peyton Manning's WR trio with Broncos could rewrite NFL history

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_24018049/peyton-mannings-wr-trio-broncos-could-rewrite-nfl

"The Three Amigos were fun, and I enjoyed them," Elway said of his diminutive threesome of Vance Johnson, Mark Jackson and Ricky Nattiel. "But if you look at these three guys, the combination of speed, size, quickness, it's a different set of receivers."

Just wondering then, how do you explain the 612 yards and 8 TDs he put together in only 13 starts as a second year player in 2011 playing primarily all of those game with Tim Tebow as his starting QB?

Last edited by a moderator:
Risky time to post this thread with the game tonight. A lot of people are gonna make some snap decisions on how this will shake out.

My thoughts: This is Decker's last year on his rookie contract, will the Broncos keep him around next year? They know they'll need to pay Demaryius Thomas soon too, and they're already in a tight cap situation. With Welker locked up I think the Broncos will try to see how they'll perform without Decker. Phase him out a bit and see how efficient the offense runs. Honestly I don't think they'll miss a beat.

Just wondering then, how do you explain the 612 yards and 8 TDs he put together in only 13 starts as a second year player in 2011 playing primarily all of those game with Tim Tebow as his starting QB?
In all fairness, he did put up 20-270-4 of that in the first four games before Tebow even saw the field, but on the flip side, putting up a four-game stretch like that with Kyle Orton throwing you the ball is somewhat impressive, no? Decker is not an All-Pro or anything, but he is a good receiver, a big target and already has a good chemistry with Peyton. He'll be fine.

My thoughts: This is Decker's last year on his rookie contract, will the Broncos keep him around next year? They know they'll need to pay Demaryius Thomas soon too, and they're already in a tight cap situation. With Welker locked up I think the Broncos will try to see how they'll perform without Decker. Phase him out a bit and see how efficient the offense runs. Honestly I don't think they'll miss a beat.
Huh? They are gonna keep the aging Welker for the long haul, while letting a young guy like Decker go? I guess it all depends on the cost - they got Welker at a great price, and who knows what Decker will want next offseason? - but I doubt the coaches are gonna be calling plays in order to see what they want to do in the future. They want to win now, and Peyton will throw it to whomever is open.

In all fairness, he did put up 20-270-4 of that in the first four games before Tebow even saw the field, but on the flip side, putting up a four-game stretch like that with Kyle Orton throwing you the ball is somewhat impressive, no? Decker is not an All-Pro or anything, but he is a good receiver, a big target and already has a good chemistry with Peyton. He'll be fine.
So what you're saying is that the only two times in his 3 year career that he has played with a QB who could throw the ball (Orton and then Peyton) he has done nothing but post stud fantasy numbers with both? Got it. Thanks.Decker will be fine and post low end WR1, high end WR2 numbers this year.

Huh? They are gonna keep the aging Welker for the long haul, while letting a young guy like Decker go? I guess it all depends on the cost - they got Welker at a great price, and who knows what Decker will want next offseason? - but I doubt the coaches are gonna be calling plays in order to see what they want to do in the future. They want to win now, and Peyton will throw it to whomever is open.
Agreed. That was a ridiculous post. The Broncos best chance to win a Super Bowl is THIS year. The coaches and Peyton are going to do whatever it takes to do that with zero preconceived agendas.

Decker will score 10 TDs, Peyton loves this guy in the red zone. The Broncos will be the Lions of the AFC (in terms of pass volume), all three WR will put up great numbers.

I think Decker will have a big year and have him in over Garcon and Nelson this weekend. May re-evaluate if it appears like Welker is taking his role.

I think they both drag eachothers projected stat totals down. Welker cuts into Decker...Decker cuts into Welker, niether matches their totals from last year. Both were overdrafted a bit in fantasy this year imo.

My bad, wasn't paying attention, talking about dynasty value over here.

No he won't, Man of Zen said he isn't a very good football player.

He was the only target on the team.

Now he's at best going forward as the third target, and if this Julius Thomas revival is any indication, he's looking like a distant #4. Add in an improved running game, and he's so far down the totem as to be borderline worthless.

I get that calling him worthless before this team played a snap together was jumping the gun a bit. But jumping the gun and getting it right is worth a lot in this hobby.

Obviously, one quiet half is far from vindication of my view, but early returns look good for it. :shrug:

I still think he'll be decent. But decent is a dime a dozen.

I suppose if one actually thought Decker was entering this season as his team's second WR, they might be defensive on this. Of course, one would have to have been living under a rock. :shrug:

I mean, clearly I'm down on the guy. AND he's totally a non-factor in the gameplan so far. But if Denver is clicking like this against THIS defense already, even John Fox may wind up with 10 TD's.

I'm nervous about Decker tonight but the pass volume is keeping me encouraged that he will get his share.

I think Welker will be most consistent week to week. He's shown for a long time now that he is a 100 catch guy -- pretty much as automatic as it comes. He just gets open -- he's amazing. The other guys will be more up and down, but will get theirs in bunches.

Aside from Welker, similar to New Orleans and Brees and New England and Brady, I think that Peyton is the guy to own and profit off of.

Gonna be up and down all year with the Broncos receivers, as they have so many options, but Welker is the WR who is shining tonight.

Decker drops easy touchdown -- not having a good game at all. + side is he got the look in the end zone.

EDIT: This just in...Welker is good.

Welker makes Manning better, and will have great year. I think he will hurt Decker and Demarius though.

I suspect with all these weapons it will change each week depending on the defense and game plan. This week its welker. Next it will be thomas, next decker... and so on.

I suspect with all these weapons it will change each week depending on the defense and game plan. This week its welker. Next it will be thomas, next decker... and so on.
Yea, people gonna blow up on Welker and trade big for him, then he'll put up a few doughnuts as people play more zone, where DT will throw up 2 TDs in that week.

I still don't want any part of this offense besides Manning. Everyone is going to be so sporadic any given week because Manning has 5+ legit targets and three different RBs getting touches. Give me someone like Andre Johnson or VJAX over DT at his ADP because he's the only target.

I had a bad feeling when i drafted decker, now i know why. F@#$ welker little effin midget. Rest of my receivers suck. Awesome!!!!

Yea, people gonna blow up on Welker and trade big for him, then he'll put up a few doughnuts as people play more zone, where DT will throw up 2 TDs in that week.

I still don't want any part of this offense besides Manning. Everyone is going to be so sporadic any given week because Manning has 5+ legit targets and three different RBs getting touches. Give me someone like Andre Johnson or VJAX over DT at his ADP because he's the only target.
Agree on DT....seems he was ranked too high with the competition he has. Decker is having a rough game but you could get him 5 rounds later.

Great week to buy low on D. Thomas.
Only if the DT owner didn't watch the game. There was one target where Peyton missed him in the end zone and another where DT ran the fly while Peyton threw the comeback. If those two targets connect, DT still has a very good game, despite Welker and the other Thomas blowing up.

Users who are viewing this thread