What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Welker vs. Decker (1 Viewer)

Great week to buy low on D. Thomas.
Only if the DT owner didn't watch the game. There was one target where Peyton missed him in the end zone and another where DT ran the fly while Peyton threw the comeback. If those two targets connect, DT still has a very good game, despite Welker and the other Thomas blowing up.
And there goes the opportunity to buy low altogether.

Decker probably isn't going to match his 1,000/13 but he will get his. Manning is going to throw to the guy who is open. As defenses shift their focus, so will Peyton.

When was the last time Welker "put up a few doughnuts" when he was healthy?
In the Super Bowl vs the Giants?
:confused: He had seven grabs that game.
But the one he didn't cost the Patriots the game.
:confused:

Wasn't the thrust of the question the idea that Welker would have some quiet games where he didn't see any action, thus leaving plenty to go around for the Deckers of the world?

My point is seven reception games aren't exactly evidence in support of the theory.

When was the last time Welker "put up a few doughnuts" when he was healthy?
In the Super Bowl vs the Giants?
:confused: He had seven grabs that game.
But the one he didn't cost the Patriots the game.
:confused: Wasn't the thrust of the question the idea that Welker would have some quiet games where he didn't see any action, thus leaving plenty to go around for the Deckers of the world?

My point is seven reception games aren't exactly evidence in support of the theory.
Yes, this is coming from a Pats fan.

Only if the DT owner didn't watch the game. There was one target where Peyton missed him in the end zone and another where DT ran the fly while Peyton threw the comeback. If those two targets connect, DT still has a very good game, despite Welker and the other Thomas blowing up.
And there goes the opportunity to buy low altogether.
Now his value is higher than ever. Crazy.

ugh..... worst game from Decker I can recall in a while. Should have add at least the TD and 20+ more yards to his total. Would have salvaged a poor night. He wasn't even close to catching that last ball, lol.

Ya too bad we don't get points for dropped balls and penalties he would have been golden tonight. He won't be leaving me bench.

Screw it. I bought the hype. Just dealt Lacy, Little, 2014 1st and 2nd for Welker and VJax. Don't care if I got hosed.

Decker got 7 targets. Thomas (TE) got 7 as well. Welker and Thomas got 11 each. Caldwell cashed in on his 1 target. That's usually Decker's spot, but I don't recall if he was in on that play or not. All in all, 7 targets isn't terrible, especially with the goal line look. If he keeps playing like this I'll get more concerned as Manning won't look his way as much. Teams are going to have to pick who they try to take out with doubles and I'd imagine they are going to take their chances one on one with Decker.

jbz said:
Decker got 7 targets. Thomas (TE) got 7 as well. Welker and Thomas got 11 each. Caldwell cashed in on his 1 target. That's usually Decker's spot, but I don't recall if he was in on that play or not. All in all, 7 targets isn't terrible, especially with the goal line look. If he keeps playing like this I'll get more concerned as Manning won't look his way as much. Teams are going to have to pick who they try to take out with doubles and I'd imagine they are going to take their chances one on one with Decker.
Decker should have had at minimum 2 more catches - one for a TD - all of a sudden that is a decent night.

Did John Fox say something about Decker having a shoulder injury in the press conference?

Last edited by a moderator:
jbz said:
Decker should have had at minimum 2 more catches - one for a TD - all of a sudden that is a decent night.
Yeah he could have had about 4 for 60 and a TD. Hopefully for us Decker owners he shows he can still catch next week

Decker could be a decent buy-low target. He looked off for sure, but he still got looks from Peyton. I'd be more concerned if he saw substantially less targets than the rest of the receiving corp, but that wasn't the case.

I wouldn't panic on Decker yet. Many drafted him as their #3 WR. He will get his. Manning could break some records this year. There will be plenty of action for Decker. DEN was making a statement by using Welker a lot.

Decker was a dropped TD from having a decent game.

I hate to say this, but I didnt like Welker before the season... I was so wrong! He will make Decker invisible! Decker just looked awful too, so he isnt going to help his case during film study. Bad routes, dropped passes (one in the endzone that hit his hands), pass interference, & a fumble.

He got 7 targets. My problem though is that he dropped 4 (all but 3? 2 catches, one interference) of those, including one in the redzone. Does that affect Manning's trust?He looked terrible, and, given how he played, if I were Manning, I'd be looking more to Welker and the 2 Thomases.

And I though it was brilliant to start Welker over L. Miller. Maybe it was, but I doubt it.

He got 7 targets. My problem though is that he dropped 4 (all but 3? 2 catches, one interference) of those, including one in the redzone. Does that affect Manning's trust?He looked terrible, and, given how he played, if I were Manning, I'd be looking more to Welker and the 2 Thomases.

And I though it was brilliant to start Welker over L. Miller. Maybe it was, but I doubt it.
But if defenses put more of their focus on Welker and D. Thomas, perhaps that will leave Decker wide open? I think his yards will be sub 1,000 this year but I still think he will score 8 times.

But if defenses put more of their focus on Welker and D. Thomas, perhaps that will leave Decker wide open? I think his yards will be sub 1,000 this year but I still think he will score 8 times.
Perhaps, and I hope so. My co-owner feels that way. I feel like this is a sign of things to come and at a minimum, a season of uncertainty and roller coaster rides. Welker is just stupid good and it is clear that Manning looks to him often.

Perhaps, and I hope so. My co-owner feels that way. I feel like this is a sign of things to come and at a minimum, a season of uncertainty and roller coaster rides. Welker is just stupid good and it is clear that Manning looks to him often.
Welker is a much better receiver than Decker and it's not close but I'm still buying on all members of the Broncos passing game this season. Decker will get his share by default, even if he's a subpar talent.

I think by far the biggest problem for Decker is that last year, he got to be a tall WR, operating against the lesser corner, with no better mismatched options in the cramped confines of the red zone. (Since DT was generally one on one or one-on-two with the better cover guys -- which just made good defensive sense.)

This year, he's at best "competing" for those touches with football's best "operating in space" receiver, and a beast of a TE with the goods to overwhelm any LB or S in closed quarters.

Yeah, he'll still get some looks down there, but the sheer numbers game means those big games will be fewer and further between, since he's obviously not going to be a target hog.

I maintain that he'll be widely regarded as unrosterable by midseason. Not because his overall #'s will be that terrible. But because he won't be nearly worth the frustration of the frequent nothings you have to weather to get to the productivity.

FWIW, at least Welker's hands looked like crap, too. Except one of them was on a punt, and the other he got away with.

FWIW, at least Welker's hands looked like crap, too. Except one of them was on a punt, and the other he got away with.
He had 11 targets and he caught 9 of them...

You're right about the punt, but I don't think it's fair to say his hands looked like crap.

EDIT - I guess there was the drop that was ruled a catch too...

Last edited by a moderator:
He had 11 targets and he caught 9 of them...

You're right about the punt, but I don't think it's fair to say his hands looked like crap.
He's always going to catch a high percentage, just because the routes he runs makes them high-conversion plays. But his drops have put him among the league "elite" in that category for a while now. I think it's safe to say his hands look like crap. He more than makes up for it with exemplary route running and turn-on-a-dime quicks, but it's a flaw the numbers back up.

Any receiver who doesn't make most short catches look effortless doesn't stay in the league. Welker is a very good receiver -- one of the best in the league. And he's probably THE best in the league at the things he truly excels at.

But I can't be the only one aware he led the league in drops last year by many accounts. ("Drops" aren't always easy to categorize, so numbers differ, but he's certainly among the league leaders. Somewhat justifiable given his usage volume, somewhat unforgivable given the dink and dunk nature of most of them...so it balances.)

I suspect with all these weapons it will change each week depending on the defense and game plan. This week its welker. Next it will be thomas, next decker... and so on.
I completely agree. Manning is going to take advantage of what the defense gives him, so this will most likely change from week to week depending on what the other defense strengths are as well as what they try to focus on taking away. If a team really focuses on shutting down Welker, then Decker probably gets more attention from Manning. In this game Thomas was wide open on his catches...defenses will adjust to that and he likely won't have a lot of games like that again.

I'm admittingly a Decker owner, but I think there's some over reaction happening here. He's usually very sure handed and Fox noted he had a slight shoulder injury that might have been bothering him (probably not, but hey worth a shot). Unless we all believe Welker (who drops a lot of balls himself) and the Thomas twins are going to hit the 20 TD receiving marks each, there will be TDs for Decker as well. The week in and out consistency is what I am worried about though. The year end total might look good, but it might be very uneven performances. Still, he holds onto that TD last night and this thread is far different today. Won't jump off of trusting Decker as my WR2/3 just yet

Round 1 goes to Welker.
Was there really any question? Decker is a fine player but he isn't Welker. Never heard any of the Bronco D backs saying they couldn't believe how hard it is to cover Decker in practice like they have been saying about Welker.

I'm with you. I'd advise anyone to stay the course, given what we saw last night.

I wouldn't advise anyone to buy low, because my take was that he should have been avoided pre-draft, and I didn't see a ton to change that. But at the same time, he certainly saw enough looks that the situation doesn't read as hopeless to me, and no way are you getting anything like draft-day value for him if you try to move him today.

Decker is definitely pretty streak (remember that he had a four-game stretch in November last year where he had 10-119-1 over a four game stretch), but I think he will still accumulate solid numbers when the season is all said and done. Weeks like this are gonna happen, but he will still get plenty of targets, and I think he'll still get his. Remember that this guy had four games last year with multiple scores, so he can have some pretty big games. You just have to take the good with the bad.

Tagged.

I have Welker in 3 leagues, Decker in none...but I am considering buying-low on Decker as a WR3, especially in leagues where I already have Welker (3) or Thomas (2)

You could say this about either Thomas or Welker too. The fact is, defenses can't double or help on all of them. The issue is Manning's trust and targets. Decker had 7 - Welker and DT had 11, and J.Thomas had 7 (same as Decker) - but Decker dropped too many.

Now it is only 1 week, but it does seem that there might be 1 too many mouths to feed week to week. Right now, Decker seems to be the 3rd/4th option...but that could change. I do think defenses will start to focus more on J.Thomas - heck even Baltimore did (most of his stats were in the first half).

I guess I didn't realize how clumsy and uncoordinated this Decker is (shoulda watched more games last year I guess). Apparently nobody informed him that the nfl season was underway last night . I'm thinking that he is now the 5th option behind Thomas,Thomas, Welker, and whichever of the RB's are in there. Surely last night sealed his fate as Peyton should have absolutely zero confidence in him right now. Unless something happens to the Thomas's or Welker I can't see how this guy starts for anybody in other than 16 or higher team leagues.

Users who are viewing this thread