What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

We've cut the cable (4 Viewers)

I don't find that to be the case at all. I think they changed it a "few" months ago. To me it is very similar to when I had cable.
Yes, the guide on our cable system (WOW) is nothing special, so I don't think it will be a big deal.  Plus, DTV Now where we need to go as it is the best option to cover the channels that are "important" in our household (the Nickelodeon channels, HGTV, Food Network to name a few).

Going to get the free trial going in the next couple weeks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Verizon contract coming up and they are trying to increase..........looking at a better package from Cox or growing a pair to cut the cord. Anyone able to negotiate great deals to stay with the big guys or cutting the cord best option?

Who did you go with and for internet do you stay with one of the big guys? What channels did you sacrifice just local?
Comcast is the only choice in my area. No contract, $75 for 100Mbps.  I get all my locals plus a bunch you'd never guess existed with an antenna.  Including several PBS channels. 

The streaming services are fine for all the other channels you'd regularly get with cable, you just have to compare lineup vs cost to pick which one is best for you.  But I don't pay for any of those I just use one of the streaming apps found in the Terrarium Thread and I get any movie or tv show that is available (already aired) for free.  

The only sport (that I'd need live tv for) that I watch regularly is NFL and you can always find streams on reddit for free.  There are cheap ways to get the NFL Ticket too if you wanted to without paying directv.  

Question for those with Sling or similar -

I'm a current cable subscriber.  I have amazon fire units on my TV sets, and my wife watches programs on demand through TV channel apps on them (mainly history and the ID channels).  We have to log into those TV channel apps with our cable subscription log ins for them to work and us to be able to stream content.  Can we still use those apps if we drop cable and go with Sling or similar?

Question for those with Sling or similar -

I'm a current cable subscriber.  I have amazon fire units on my TV sets, and my wife watches programs on demand through TV channel apps on them (mainly history and the ID channels).  We have to log into those TV channel apps with our cable subscription log ins for them to work and us to be able to stream content.  Can we still use those apps if we drop cable and go with Sling or similar?
Yes. I did that when I had sling, and I do it now with Playstation Vue. 

We're making the switch from SlingTV plus Antenna to DirecTV Now.  The DirecTV Now (no dish...still just streaming) offers all of our local live channels.  It's nice not having to fight with our stupid antenna.

Two downsides I see so far though:  No NFL Redzone available (we'll address that later) and I'm not sure if they offer on demand programming.  Still playing with it.

But I'm thrilled that they offer good, local live channels without the antenna.

We're making the switch from SlingTV plus Antenna to DirecTV Now.  The DirecTV Now (no dish...still just streaming) offers all of our local live channels.  It's nice not having to fight with our stupid antenna.

Two downsides I see so far though:  No NFL Redzone available (we'll address that later) and I'm not sure if they offer on demand programming.  Still playing with it.

But I'm thrilled that they offer good, local live channels without the antenna.
They have a ton of on demand programming

At least on roku, you hit the down arrow once, go over to the magnifying glass and search for the name of the show.

Also don't forget to can log into a multitude of apps

Im moving in a month and finally convinced the wife we're cutting fios and their $220+ bill and going to PSVue top package and still save $100 month. I have to pay early termination fee and it's still worth it. I can't wait. Only downside is ps vue doesn't offer MTV which my wife watches a lot of for some reason and WPIX which is a local channel that shows about 20 Yankee games a year. 

I really like the new free CBS Sports HQ app for Apple TV (I think it’s available for Roku as well, plus browser streaming). Sometimes I just want a live Sportscenter-like highlights show, like Sportscenter used to be a few years ago, when it was actually just sports highlights and not all commentary. In the times I’ve turned this new app on in the past few days, it seems to fill that void pretty well. 

Anyone got recommendations for a non-cable/satellite DVR? Looked at a few on amazon, just want to see if some of you have one. 

Anyone got recommendations for a non-cable/satellite DVR? Looked at a few on amazon, just want to see if some of you have one. 
I’m thinking about getting the Amazon Fire Recast because I have an antenna in my attic. The only thing is that most of the streaming services have local channels. Way more hours (and no expiration) though on the recast and helps if Internet is an issue or with # of streams.

drunken slob said:
Tivo.

It's expensive.... 'cause it's worth it. Most of what we watch is on the Tivo, recorded free from dozens of OTA channels. Only time I ever watch commercials is when we watch something on Playstation vue. 

So we are about to get rid of cable.  Going to keep internet with Spectrum.  

We have netflix and were looking to get hulu.  I am under the impression hulu has pretty much any of the popular shows in the library.  How long does it take for new shows to pop up?  Say for example The Walking Dead or Chicago Fire and stuff like that?

Also, we considered doing some form of live TV, but we dont need many channels.  Are there any ala cart style where we can have maybe like 10-20 channels of our choosing?  Or even just a cheap basic package?

edit..Also, we aren't very tech savvy, so please don't recommend stuff that is complicated.  I was st my brother in laws last night, and he was showing me all this stuff with a firestick which made me want to  vomit at how many different things he had to click around on to watch or listen to what he wanted.  He said "oh this is super easy".  I disagreed.  I have no desire to learn how to do any of that. I would rather pay more for simplicity.

So we are about to get rid of cable.  Going to keep internet with Spectrum.  

We have netflix and were looking to get hulu.  I am under the impression hulu has pretty much any of the popular shows in the library.  How long does it take for new shows to pop up?  Say for example The Walking Dead or Chicago Fire and stuff like that?

Also, we considered doing some form of live TV, but we dont need many channels.  Are there any ala cart style where we can have maybe like 10-20 channels of our choosing?  Or even just a cheap basic package?

edit..Also, we aren't very tech savvy, so please don't recommend stuff that is complicated.  I was st my brother in laws last night, and he was showing me all this stuff with a firestick which made me want to  vomit at how many different things he had to click around on to watch or listen to what he wanted.  He said "oh this is super easy".  I disagreed.  I have no desire to learn how to do any of that. I would rather pay more for simplicity.
I love my fire stick. I haven’t cut Dish yet, still trying to figure out what I want to use, but we’ve got Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu and HBO Go (free with AT&T cell plan). Really easy. I go to the app I want to watch find the show and done.  It has Alexa too if I want to search. It won’t matter once I cut Dish, but the fire stick will change the input when I hit the home button if the TV is on Dish. That’s TV dependent some of the older TVs may not have that HDMI controlling feature.

Thanks @stbugs and @Politician Spock for the info. I saw both of the suggested items while doing a cursory look around and both caught my eye  :thumbup:

:banned:
The TiVo one is interesting as it’s comparison to Fire TV Cube isn’t correct. I have one of those and they say it doesn’t have streaming apps or voice search and it does. I wonder if they are trying to compare the recast which is just the DVR. My only issue with TiVo is that it’s $249 for the box and then another $7 monthly or $249 for life. The recast is a one time buy and it’s been $50 or $70 off every special shopping time and no subscription cost at all. Since I have Fire TVs already I’ll stick with it. I assume it will be well integrated and I want less monthly charges.

I had no idea people still used DVR.  

Feel like last time that tech had value to me was in the mid 2000s
I'm not certain on this, but I think the main difference is commercials.  I can mark shows on Hulu Live that I want to keep for later viewing - for example all of my sports teams' games are held for a month or two for me to watch whenever, but it forces me to watch a few commercials.  I can still FF through halftime and such, but every once in a while am forced to watch a minute or two of commercials.

Do you have kids? Way easier to quickly pull up a Doc McStuffins episode on the DVR than go to the on demand channel, navigate to "free on demand", then kids, then Disney junior, then the show you want, then choose the episode, then confirm you want to play it. 

I also DVR games all the time, especially during college football season. Pretty much every week I'll watch half or most of the primetime Sat night game, go to sleep, and then watch the rest early in the morning. 

Then you add in starting shows a bit after they air and FF through commercials. That's basically the rest of where the value is for me.

Do you have kids? Way easier to quickly pull up a Doc McStuffins episode on the DVR than go to the on demand channel, navigate to "free on demand", then kids, then Disney junior, then the show you want, then choose the episode, then confirm you want to play it. 

I also DVR games all the time, especially during college football season. Pretty much every week I'll watch half or most of the primetime Sat night game, go to sleep, and then watch the rest early in the morning. 

Then you add in starting shows a bit after they air and FF through commercials. That's basically the rest of where the value is for me.
Netflix just is easier.  Don't have young kids anymore so mine manage whatever they want.  Lately it's just YouTube which poses it's own challenges. 

So what's everyone got? 

Hardware - every tv has a firestick. Family room tv also has a Nvidia Shield. Have an Amazon Recast hooked into RCA antenna https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0024R4B5C/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1 attached to an old DirecTV satellite mount. Get's me every available local channel crystal clear, much better than the flat antenna I had stuck to a window previously

*Netflix 

*Amazon Prime (don't view this as an additional fee, we've had Prime for years for shipping so the TV is an added bonus)

*Hulu - basic with commercials (free with Sprint)

*Area 51 IPTV

*Titanium (have tried Cinema, Morpheus, etc. Titanium works the easiest for us)

So what's everyone got? 

Hardware - every tv has a firestick. Family room tv also has a Nvidia Shield. Have an Amazon Recast hooked into RCA antenna https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0024R4B5C/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1 attached to an old DirecTV satellite mount. Get's me every available local channel crystal clear, much better than the flat antenna I had stuck to a window previously

*Netflix 

*Amazon Prime (don't view this as an additional fee, we've had Prime for years for shipping so the TV is an added bonus)

*Area 51 IPTV

NVIDIA Shield in 2 rooms.  Firestick in another room (I never use it).  2 hard drives on network router with music and video.  Two digital antennas and Frontier 100/100 innerwebs for $68.99.  I use Kodi to access all my content on both Shields and Firestick. Other misc apps used with IPVanish.  That’s it for me.

We’ve considered going with a streaming service for a while now.  Comcast made me mad this weekend so I started a PlayStation Vue free trial.  On my local channels, the sound is slightly off from the video and it drives me crazy.  Is this always a problem, or will it get better?

How well do the DVRs perform with in-progress events and fast-forwarding through them? I like to start watching a game at halftime or so, and fast-forward through dead action and commercials. If that's not possible or even clunky (imprecise fast-forwarding or something of that nature), I'll stay with DTV/Big Cable, but this is probably the only thing still holding me back.

How well do the DVRs perform with in-progress events and fast-forwarding through them? I like to start watching a game at halftime or so, and fast-forward through dead action and commercials. If that's not possible or even clunky (imprecise fast-forwarding or something of that nature), I'll stay with DTV/Big Cable, but this is probably the only thing still holding me back.
With DTVN, as long as you set it to record it works just like big cable if you start watching the recording while the show/event is still going on.  Otherwise, there's no rewinding live TV.  If you pause live TV, it will only hold for a short amount of time before it jumps forward a bit.

culdeus said:

I owned two different ones during that time period plus one of the original sling boxes. Never used any of them. lol

Socrates11 said:
So what's everyone got? 

*Netflix 

*Area 51 IPTV

HTPC for the entertainment center that runs all the time for the security cameras too. Low power, very quiet. 

Fire Tvs for all the other tv's.  

Winegard HD8200U Platiunum OTA antenna for all the live locals. 

Cinema for all previously aired tv shows and movies. 

Reddit for NFL and MAA. 

Prime because it's free with Prime. Wife uses it. She also has a Roku that she likes better than fire for prime and YouTube.  

Been disconnected from DirecTV for a year now... have only missed it once or twice. 

Firestick

Titanium TV + Real Debrid ($3/mo) for all previously aired movies/shows 

Kodi Solutions IPTV ($5/mo) for live TV - every channel including PPV and sports packages

Need a VPN... 

i have PIA VPN but it’s not working anymore... what VPNs are affordable, fast, and work well for Firestick? 

Been disconnected from DirecTV for a year now... have only missed it once or twice. 

Firestick

Kodi Solutions IPTV ($5/mo) for live TV - every channel including PPV and sports packages

Need a VPN... 

i have PIA VPN but it’s not working anymore... what VPNs are affordable, fast, and work well for Firestick? 
Explain these to me like I'm @El Floppo

With DTVN, as long as you set it to record it works just like big cable if you start watching the recording while the show/event is still going on.  Otherwise, there's no rewinding live TV.  If you pause live TV, it will only hold for a short amount of time before it jumps forward a bit.
I had an issue with the DTVN DVR and sporting events.  I'd record a game and then when I came back to watch it, if I stopped the recording to run out, DTVN would start it back from the beginning when I came back.  It was very annoying.  I could watch 2 or 3 qtrs of a game, leave to run to the store.  When I got back and pulled the game up, I had to start from the beginning.  Then when I hit FF to get back to where I was, I had to guess the time marker as the image never appeared on the screen until I hit play.  Very annoying and I stopped using the DTVN DVR afterwards.

Need a VPN... 

I had PIA, but let it lapse.  We use the Firestick remote on our phones, and when VPN is on, our phones no longer work.  We found the Firestick remotes ate batteries like crazy - we were replacing them every 3-4 days.  With 2 Firesticks, this became a little too much for us.

With that said, we haven't been using a VPN for about 6 months.  No issues on our end (knock on wood).  But I rarely use my IPTV.  I use it mainly for PPV and Sporting Events (baseball, football).

Have you had issues without a VPN?  Do you have any other remote recommendations for the Firestick that we could use with VPN?

I had an issue with the DTVN DVR and sporting events.  I'd record a game and then when I came back to watch it, if I stopped the recording to run out, DTVN would start it back from the beginning when I came back.  It was very annoying.  I could watch 2 or 3 qtrs of a game, leave to run to the store.  When I got back and pulled the game up, I had to start from the beginning.  Then when I hit FF to get back to where I was, I had to guess the time marker as the image never appeared on the screen until I hit play.  Very annoying and I stopped using the DTVN DVR afterwards.
It's clunky at best in my experience. Not nearly as clean as cable.

If you like tinkering and are tech savvy, you can go with an HDHomerun type tuner, and a windows 7 based computer with media center.  Can record either 2 or 3 things at once (either OTA or cable via cablecard) and your storage limit is however much hard drive space you have.  Assuming 5GB per hour of HD video (a very high assumption) means that you can store 1,600 hours of HD video on an 8TB drive that costs under $200.

Any better deals on HBO? It seems it rarely goes on sale through cord cutting options - I see that Hulu had a deal last year around April where you could get it for $5/month for 6 months then it went back to $15/month, which seems to be the standard.

I've got Amazon Prime and Hulu, just curious if anyone had found a cheaper way to get it than the $15/month as an add-on to those services.

Any better deals on HBO? It seems it rarely goes on sale through cord cutting options - I see that Hulu had a deal last year around April where you could get it for $5/month for 6 months then it went back to $15/month, which seems to be the standard.

I've got Amazon Prime and Hulu, just curious if anyone had found a cheaper way to get it than the $15/month as an add-on to those services.
I got AT&T wireless unlimited and I got HBO Go for free with it. I don’t think they offer that. I’m pissed I didn’t take advantage of the $15 off per month on DirecTVNow but they didn’t have a DVR option yet so I didn’t cut (about to just figuring out which one). I think DirecTVNow is the cheapest HBO add on. $5 per month.

Firestick

Need a VPN... 

PIA still works fine for me. 

I had PIA, but let it lapse.  We use the Firestick remote on our phones, and when VPN is on, our phones no longer work.  We found the Firestick remotes ate batteries like crazy - we were replacing them every 3-4 days.  With 2 Firesticks, this became a little too much for us.

With that said, we haven't been using a VPN for about 6 months.  No issues on our end (knock on wood).  But I rarely use my IPTV.  I use it mainly for PPV and Sporting Events (baseball, football).

Have you had issues without a VPN?  Do you have any other remote recommendations for the Firestick that we could use with VPN?
You must have alexa turned on so the remote is constantly listening to you or something. I rarely ever have to change batteries. 

I've never heard of anyone getting in trouble for watching a stream, ever, it's just cheap peace of mind. Downloading is a different story. 

I got AT&T wireless unlimited and I got HBO Go for free with it. I don’t think they offer that. I’m pissed I didn’t take advantage of the $15 off per month on DirecTVNow but they didn’t have a DVR option yet so I didn’t cut (about to just figuring out which one). I think DirecTVNow is the cheapest HBO add on. $5 per month.
After reading this thread earlier, I signed up for free HBO though AT&T/DirectTV today. I'm upset I've missed out on this for so long.

How are you guys getting ESPN?

Does the ESPN+ app carry the same games as ESPN? For example, I can watch an ESPN game now through my ipad through the regular ESPN app, but I have to have a cable subscription to just access a normal game.

Does the ESPN+ app fix that issue? Or do they limit what games you can watch?

Users who are viewing this thread