What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

We've cut the cable (9 Viewers)

I’ve never used it, but I heard the picture quality is pretty terrible with Sling. 
I think the biggest knock on Sling is the lack of local networks.  You will still need a good antenna and be in a good area that can receive these "antenna" channels.

With DirecTV Now, you can stream the local networks so you never have to worry about them coming in or not with an antenna.

Maybe bc it's a horrible service.  They dropped channels from the initial package and then raised the prices.  On top of that, their Customer Service isn't integrated with normal DTV, so you have to do mainly everything online - yet they aren't as transparent with that information.  It's one of the worst services I've tried/used.
I just received a letter that our service price is getting increased to $60/month.

The original draw of switching over from DishNetwork to DirectTVNow was the $35/month service and that this price would be grandfathered in and would never increase.  What a load of crap.  All they do is take $25 off the ever increasing top-line price.  Eff these guys.

Wondering if the switch to YouTubeTV is worth it?  May have to explore what Xfinity can offer as we pay $110/mo. for high-speed internet at the moment.

Used YouTubeTV last night for the first night of my free trial. Quality was impressive, no buffering or issues. Only slight annoyance was when you click a program from the guide it takes 10 or 15 seconds to start playing. Want to try it this weekend with it streaming on two devices and the kids on the xbox playing online, last night I was the only one home.

So, I am moving back into the land of civilization within a month when our kitchen reno is finished. Right now we are sporting Netflix/Prime & a Verizon Jetpack Unlimited Data for internet. This is huge in this area that doesn't have much traffic to get prioritized. We are moving to the only area with gigabit available and will have access to cable tv again, right now we are in the sticks. The wife wants the bells and whistles and never looks at rices but will go with what I decide as I usually just have to show her the savings over a year and then we spend half of it on something nice. I have used At&T, Verizon, Comcast, Wave and others in the Norcal area in the past so I have experience doing the juggle.

CurrentTV/Internet: Netflix & Prime / Verizon(20/15mbps unlimited hotspot) In our area of the country, this is priceless gold and will probably never be canceling the service as my parents are offering double to let them use it after I'm done. The service was only offered for 2-3 months and the other options around them in the area is At&t dsl 1.5mbps(that is VERY spotty) for double the price. 😭

Must Haves: Netflix/Prime

Options: Hulu Live (we have used before and enjoyed) w/ Comcast Cable internet. Probably a moderate version but I hate hate hate how they do the promo prices and then jack them up after a year.

Wife Wants: Gigabit Comcast with the full TV spread. The gigabit may happen but I'm always 🙄 of the promo vs long term price as we plan to use the service for 5-7 years. We can probably do lesser internet but since we both game, we need at least 1000 GBs or unlimited a month. Any opinions? I'm gonna go through and revisit a lot of pages now. 

Last edited by a moderator:
GOOGLE FIBER 1000 MBS is now live in my neighborhood....  $70/month   or $50 for 100 MBS.  Did a major campaign in my area.

We plan to make the change to Google Fiber soon... looking at streaming options...

Currently >$230 for Time Warner (now Spectrum) 300 and spoty wifi service in house.. actual download speeds 60-70 MBS.  We have multiple devices so it lags. 

Extra $90 Google TV but they are not promoting that....  they recommend streaming services.

OK.. so questions:  How does Roku Ultra streaming device compare to others?  

And how does everybody view Hulu Live vs Sling (Orange & Blue with $10 sports pkg)?

I saw several "picture quality issue posts" on Sling, but was that related to Sling or other issues? 

Sling TV offers NFLN, MLB, RZ, Fox Sports & SECN  from Blue & Orange + $10 Sports Pkg = $50

Birdie048 said:
OK.. so questions:  How does Roku Ultra streaming device compare to others?  
Interested in this too.  Planning to upgrade our main family room device from a second gen fire stick to something with a better processor, etc (and plan to connect it via ethernet).  Hoping to purchase during a good black Friday deal.  

Been trying to decide between Fire TV Cube or Roku Ultra.  Curious if anyone has a preference for one over the other?

Interested in this too.  Planning to upgrade our main family room device from a second gen fire stick to something with a better processor, etc (and plan to connect it via ethernet).  Hoping to purchase during a good black Friday deal.  

Been trying to decide between Fire TV Cube or Roku Ultra.  Curious if anyone has a preference for one over the other?
Well, picked up the Roku Ultra at Target ($20 off plus the 5% Target Card discount), and played with it all weekend..

Overall, good options.  The only main issue is jumping from channel to channel... not easy 1 button flip.  Have to go to "recent" and scroll and select... then lose 5-6 sec while it is loading... allowed to rewind easy enough, but the remote is not intuitive.  Needs a little time to understand how to use it best.  

Set up Hulu, Netflix & Prime accounts.  Lots of options.  Paid the extra $10 for storage & no commercials on Hulu, but still there when show was "on demand" and not recorded... no biggie.

Overall, happy with Roku Ultra.  The Voice control/selection was really nice.  

Actually considering going back to cable.  We are currently on PSVUE, but with the news of them discontinuing it I have started to look at other options.  I am pretty much the only person in my house that watches live TV and my required channels are ESPN, Fox sports channels and NFL network.  Of the the streaming services out there, PS vue is the only one that has all 3. Sling normally would, but Dish is currently in a spat with the Fox Sports channels.  We just moved and switched internet providers, so I was looking this weekend and our Internet provider has a special bundle with internet and cable that would cost me $12 per month more than I am currently paying for internet and PS vue.  I never thought I would go back after convincing my wife to drop directv, but it is looking like I may go back to the dark side.

YouTube tv is the best version of cable or streaming I’ve ever seen. No brainer to get rid of cable, it’s awful compared to this. 

GOOGLE FIBER 1000 MBS is now live in my neighborhood....  $70/month   or $50 for 100 MBS.  Did a major campaign in my area.
We pay $50 a month for the Google fiber 100MBS. We do have the 1000MBS available.

I have 3 kids who are always streaming SOMETHING while I am watching a game in the garage while my wife is also watching something up in our bedroom. So far the 100MBS has been fine and we'll probably  stay with it. 

The only thing I say is the router they supply is not that great (mainly coverage in the far reaches of my house, which is only an 1800 square foot home, albeit a split level home) - I'll be looking to upgrade that soon. 

We pay $50 a month for the Google fiber 100MBS. We do have the 1000MBS available.

I have 3 kids who are always streaming SOMETHING while I am watching a game in the garage while my wife is also watching something up in our bedroom. So far the 100MBS has been fine and we'll probably  stay with it. 

The only thing I say is the router they supply is not that great (mainly coverage in the far reaches of my house, which is only an 1800 square foot home, albeit a split level home) - I'll be looking to upgrade that soon. 
Google WiFi. YWIA.

Yeah, I've looked at that. Not sure I care enough to spend that kind of dough. Still on the fence. May try and find that Costco deal you posted about.
You can probably get by with 2 and definitely enough with 3.

3 pack for $228 after coupon after the coupon. 

Same thing but with 2 plugs for $10 more

And I've never heard of this place, but 3 pack for $208 here

If you wait for Black Friday, you might be able to get it under $200.  Prior to this, I never used to spend more than $30-40 for a router.  This thing is night and day.

Anyone tried the Xfinity Streaming App from Comcast? I'm stuck with them for Internet, and I can add 125 channels for $20 more

Only 10 hrs on the DVR which stinks, but maybe I don't need it
Oh...the thread police are going to be here shortly...tread lightly!!!!!

I have this.  Works well on my Hulu and the interface is actually pretty decent as well.  And most everything you'd want to record is provided on demand so I haven't had a major issue with 10 hours (I think mine is 20) would be a major issue for you.

Maybe not exactly what you mean, but I have the streaming app on my phone and it works fine.  I also have the xfinity app on a roku (so I don't have to pay the 2nd TV box rental fee) and that's seemed to work fine as well.  Hope to get another roku device during black Friday deals so I can have cable access on another TV without an additional monthly fee. 
what does the app on the roku allow you to access?  Just live content?  DVR/Cloud DVR or whatever they offer now?

what does the app on the roku allow you to access?  Just live content?  DVR/Cloud DVR or whatever they offer now?
Live content, and stuff that you have saved on another Xfinity DVR in the same house.  What that means is that you still have to have an Xfinity DVR in the house somewhere (you can't replace all the units in the house).  You can't watch pay per view stuff, though. 

Live content, and stuff that you have saved on another Xfinity DVR in the same house.  What that means is that you still have to have an Xfinity DVR in the house somewhere (you can't replace all the units in the house).  You can't watch pay per view stuff, though. 
Nice though...keeps from having to rent another box from them.

We already have a Roku Ultra.  So that would allow my kids to access DVR content through the app?  Sounds good.

Nice though...keeps from having to rent another box from them.

We already have a Roku Ultra.  So that would allow my kids to access DVR content through the app?  Sounds good.
Yup, it should.  We currently just have a roku stick, which from time to time has to be reset for the wifi to work properly.  Not sure if it's the hardward (the roku) or the software (the beta app) that's causing the issues.  We'll likely upgrade to an ultra to see if that does it. 

Yup, it should.  We currently just have a roku stick, which from time to time has to be reset for the wifi to work properly.  Not sure if it's the hardward (the roku) or the software (the beta app) that's causing the issues.  We'll likely upgrade to an ultra to see if that does it. 
Also good to know as we may be allowing our son to put a TV in his room and he could be able to watch normal content without a cable box(when we built the house we purposefully did not put cable jacks in the kids rooms thinking we would not allow them to have TVs in their room...now, of course, he is in there watching netflix on an Ipad anyway).

I’ve never used it, but I heard the picture quality is pretty terrible with Sling. 
Agreed. It buffers way too much even at lower quality settings. I have it until the 15th and was using it while SFU came back from the dead. It’s okay, but overall quality is meh.
Funny, my experience has been the opposite.  Sling has been far better in the pic & buffering than DTVN.  I've had zero issue with Sling.

I don't mind using the antenna for locals - the pic is phenomenal and has been rock solid reliability.  

gianmarco said:
ChiefD said:
Yeah, I've looked at that. Not sure I care enough to spend that kind of dough. Still on the fence. May try and find that Costco deal you posted about.
You can probably get by with 2 and definitely enough with 3.

3 pack for $228 after coupon after the coupon. 

Same thing but with 2 plugs for $10 more

And I've never heard of this place, but 3 pack for $208 here

If you wait for Black Friday, you might be able to get it under $200.  Prior to this, I never used to spend more than $30-40 for a router.  This thing is night and day.
I'll pile on and say its well worth the $.  

Don't read this google, but I'd spend way more on it if I had to

Maybe not exactly what you mean, but I have the streaming app on my phone and it works fine.  I also have the xfinity app on a roku (so I don't have to pay the 2nd TV box rental fee) and that's seemed to work fine as well.  Hope to get another roku device during black Friday deals so I can have cable access on another TV without an additional monthly fee. 
Interesting... I use the stream app all the time. I download my recorded shows to take with me...

It never dawned on me to drop most of my cable boxes and just use the app... yes I still overpay for cable and LOVE IT    :)

Interesting... I use the stream app all the time. I download my recorded shows to take with me...

It never dawned on me to drop most of my cable boxes and just use the app... yes I still overpay for cable and LOVE IT    :)
Not sure how much you are overpaying anymore.  I keep reading the thread and know friends who cut the cable to save money.  Then I ask what they use and they mention multiple streaming options plus add ons and by the time you add up what they pay in those, they are paying about the same thing I am for Direct or others with Xfinity.

You must do so with Roku units (and newer ones).  It's the Xfinity app, and it's in beta currently.  They may start charging for it, though. 

Not sure how much you are overpaying anymore.  I keep reading the thread and know friends who cut the cable to save money.  Then I ask what they use and they mention multiple streaming options plus add ons and by the time you add up what they pay in those, they are paying about the same thing I am for Direct or others with Xfinity.
The cable box in our bedroom we were paying $6 a month for I think - and it was replaced with a roku.  Also, the roku allowed us to watch recorded shows, which the previous one didn't. 

well i dont pay for any boxes technically - I have my original bundle price but is that App different then this app?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.xfinity.cloudtvr&hl=en_US
It's a different app, yes.  I don't know anything about the google play store.  I mean I have that app on my apple iphone, and it works fine - but doesn't work on my TV.  For the TV, I use this one....https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/activate-xfinity-tv-app-on-roku

Better link here - https://channelstore.roku.com/details/123132/xfinity-stream-beta

It's a different app, yes.  I don't know anything about the google play store.  I mean I have that app on my apple iphone, and it works fine - but doesn't work on my TV.  For the TV, I use this one....https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/activate-xfinity-tv-app-on-roku

Better link here - https://channelstore.roku.com/details/123132/xfinity-stream-beta
Thanks.  Its the "same APP" but looks like they are releasing it for Roku.    I mean I can stream live TV on my phone or PC and chromecast it... etc

So same but different :)

Can you steam DVR'd content?
Yes, I can stream and/or download (can stream via cell 4g also),  also live tv (with limitations) and some on demand

And now the lawsuit is settled I can set recordings and stuff, again.   They took this away when getting sued by Tivo

If I'm at home - I will log in via PC and stream to my projector while the cable box is on a different channel to due full screen Picture in Picture

Some older streaming devices will lose the ability to to access Netflix come December 1st. Link

My Roku is older, but I can't recall the model. I think it's a 3 (which isn't on the list linked above). Is there anyway I can tell without pulling everything apart?

Email I received today:

Hi CM,

We’re reaching out to let you know that the price of your Hulu + Live TV plan will increase from $44.99/month to $54.99/month on Wednesday, December 18, 2019.
Looks like I've got a couple weeks if I want to check out season 3 of Handmaid's tale. 

With the news of PSvue Shutting down, I decided to give youtubeTV a try.  Of the other providers, it came the closest to having the channels I wanted, the only one missing is NFL network, plus it had the channels the wife wanted which is a plus.   So far, I am pleased with it. The picture on my local channels is much better than it was on PSvue and picture quality in general is good.  I guess I will just have to watch NFL network on my phone because the picture on Sling was not to my liking at all and Futbo TV does not have ESPN or most of the channels the wife watches.

With the news of PSvue Shutting down, I decided to give youtubeTV a try.  Of the other providers, it came the closest to having the channels I wanted, the only one missing is NFL network, plus it had the channels the wife wanted which is a plus.   So far, I am pleased with it. The picture on my local channels is much better than it was on PSvue and picture quality in general is good.  I guess I will just have to watch NFL network on my phone because the picture on Sling was not to my liking at all and Futbo TV does not have ESPN or most of the channels the wife watches.
FYI on NFL Network, if you have Amazon Prime they show all the Thursday night games on Prime video.

I know this has been answered many times in here, but I just don't have the time to sort through it. Would apprecaite Cliff notes please.

I have finally decided to go all in here.

Using Xfinity for internet

Daughters really only watch Netflix and would like Disney+

YouTube TV for locals?

**Want to stop renting modem. What is the modem to go after? 4 of us in the household. Will have three Roku's and a Firestick and the Xbox using WiFi. 

Tired of spending more than I have to for crap we don't watch.

Thanks!

Same here. Trying Youtube TV now. 

Was trying to ride out PS VUE until the end of January, but it froze on me three times during NFL pre-game yesterday. Maybe they're just giving up on tech support.

So I started my free trial for YouTube TV.  Picture was much better than VUE.  Will be making switch this week.

Was trying to ride out PS VUE until the end of January, but it froze on me three times during NFL pre-game yesterday. Maybe they're just giving up on tech support.

So I started my free trial for YouTube TV.  Picture was much better than VUE.  Will be making switch this week.
I was going to do the exact same thing but experienced that too and came to the same conclusion. The tech guys are probably already bailing for other streaming companies. Just makes sense.

Same here. Trying Youtube TV now. 
I briefly thought about switching from Hulu but unless I am missing something I am concerned with not being able to use multiple devises at one time.  My Hulu account I believe is unlimited and I think YouTube Tv has a limit.  I know that is not a problem for most, but we are a family of 6 and have multiple TVs in basement that we watch football on during the weekend.  First world problem, but maybe a consideration for others.

I briefly thought about switching from Hulu but unless I am missing something I am concerned with not being able to use multiple devises at one time.  My Hulu account I believe is unlimited and I think YouTube Tv has a limit.  I know that is not a problem for most, but we are a family of 6 and have multiple TVs in basement that we watch football on during the weekend.  First world problem, but maybe a consideration for others.
I think YouTube TV is three devices at once

Users who are viewing this thread