What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What’s worse….a soccer match ending 0-0 or a twelve round boxing match going to decision? (1 Viewer)

Getting back to the 0-0 debate for a minute. I can respect a low-scoring well-played game. What I hate is teams benefitting from a 0-0 draw (like the US Friday). It’s playing not to lose and hoping to beat Iran because they know they can’t beat the UK. At least when Northwestern plays Ohio St, NW has to make a scoring play at some point.

But the way you’re describing how this 0-0 game was played is the complete opposite of the truth and proves you didn’t watch it.

In no way, shape or form did the US “play not to lose”. They had the better of the attacking chances, and generally stood toe to toe with England for the entire game. They didn’t bunker in at all. They were the better team than England.

And they only marginally benefited from a draw - there really wasn’t a huge difference between a draw and a loss. They had to beat Iran regardless.
I never claim to watch any of this. When it’s late in the 2H, they just kept attacking to win?
Yes. Why would you make a comment when you have zero idea what actually happened. Do you often comment on TV shows that you didn’t watch?

Getting back to the 0-0 debate for a minute. I can respect a low-scoring well-played game. What I hate is teams benefitting from a 0-0 draw (like the US Friday). It’s playing not to lose and hoping to beat Iran because they know they can’t beat the UK. At least when Northwestern plays Ohio St, NW has to make a scoring play at some point.
This kinda touches my point. The premise of the OP‘s question is what is more miserable—a low scoring sporting event with no clear winner, or long boxing match with the winner being decided by subjective opinions. I just wonder how much of the “miserable” part is in the event having a lack of celebratory/emotional moments, and how much of the “miserable” part is in the dynamic of there being no clear winner/loser after investing time to watch it. The number of celebratory moments in a 0-0 soccer match and a 1-0 soccer match might literally differ by one. However, it seems to me that this result is somehow a lot less miserable because of there being a clear winner/loser.
Individual sports based on judging is tough. Not a big fan of them as there is a human element to judging and can be prone to error or manipulation.
Judging fouls in the penalty box for potentially awarding a pk is basically a boxing decision IMO. You'll see the most hardcore soccer fans around here take opposing sides on these ref calls.

He touched the ball with his right foot milli-seconds before his left foot smashed the opponents ankle.....But the left foot was studs up so it's a penalty regardless,....5 degrees isn't studs up.

Or how about the arguments over whether the hand was in a natural postion.

Personally I would like to see more scoring so the value of any one goal is less and reduces the weight of the impact of judgement calls by the ref. In basketball when the ref screws you and it cost you 2 points, those 2 points only impact the scoring total by 2%.

“Aaron Rodgers lines up under center as the entire play clock winds down. He surveys the defense and doesn’t like what he sees and calls timeout. We’ll be back after these commercials.”

ED pill commercial
Car commercial
Taco Bell commercial
Papa Johns commercial

“And we’re back. Rodgers uses the entire play clock and we have some movement on the offensive line as flags fly. That will be a false start. We’ll use this pause in the action to remind you that tonight on CBS is the premier of NCIS:Boise starring that guy from Melrose Place, maybe? I dunno. Anyway. Rodgers back under center, play clock at 1 and the ball is snapped. Rodgers throws to Lazard and it’s incomplete. Lazard is pleading for an interference call even though nobody touched him to no avail. That was a scintillating 8 seconds of action! And that will bring us to the two minute warning. We’ll be back after this.”

ED pill commercial
Under Armour commercial
Nike commercial
Ford truck commercial

“We’re back. Play clock down to 1 and the defense calls timeout as they inexplicably have 12 men on the field. We’ll be back after this…”

I don't know. One of the things I love about sports is how they relate to life.

Sometimes, you're in "survive and advance" mode. It's not especially fun, but it's life.

So I'm not sure whether the team was playing to tie or was playing to win and ended up tieing really matters that much. The rules are the rules.

NFL teams sometimes sit their starters if they've secured a playoff spot. They sacrifice a game for the bigger goal of a championship.

“Aaron Rodgers lines up under center as the entire play clock winds down. He surveys the defense and doesn’t like what he sees and calls timeout. We’ll be back after these commercials.”

ED pill commercial
Car commercial
Taco Bell commercial
Papa Johns commercial

“And we’re back. Rodgers uses the entire play clock and we have some movement on the offensive line as flags fly. That will be a false start. We’ll use this pause in the action to remind you that tonight on CBS is the premier of NCIS:Boise starring that guy from Melrose Place, maybe? I dunno. Anyway. Rodgers back under center, play clock at 1 and the ball is snapped. Rodgers throws to Lazard and it’s incomplete. Lazard is pleading for an interference call even though nobody touched him to no avail. That was a scintillating 8 seconds of action! And that will bring us to the two minute warning. We’ll be back after this.”

ED pill commercial
Under Armour commercial
Nike commercial
Ford truck commercial

“We’re back. Play clock down to 1 and the defense calls timeout as they inexplicably have 12 men on the field. We’ll be back after this…”

Wait. I know how this works now.

"In case you didn't know, the (insert my sport) is super popular and tons and tons of people love it. So you must be wrong!".

;)

On a real note, there are lots of things about lots of things that can be improved.

And lots of things people can see things as a negative.

It's sports.

And on that note, the lack of commercials with soccer is a huge positive. :thumbup:

More people in America just watched a relatively meaningless group stage soccer game than any World Series game this year (or last year, or the year before, or the year before that...)
On a holiday weekend when most are off. How do you think their ratings did against the noon college football games yesterday?

I am not familiar with the ratings for any individual NCAA game but I assume they are very good.

The Mexico Argentina game was expected to draw well yesterday for ratings. We won't know until either later today or tomorrow, but they were expected to be anywhere from maybe 6-8 million. Could be more once all the streaming is factored in.

What is the general range on an NCAA game on an early Saturday afternoon?

But the way you’re describing how this 0-0 game was played is the complete opposite of the truth and proves you didn’t watch it.

In no way, shape or form did the US “play not to lose”. They had the better of the attacking chances, and generally stood toe to toe with England for the entire game. They didn’t bunker in at all. They were the better team than England.

And they only marginally benefited from a draw - there really wasn’t a huge difference between a draw and a loss. They had to beat Iran regardless.
I never claim to watch any of this. When it’s late in the 2H, they just kept attacking to win?
Yes. Why would you make a comment when you have zero idea what actually happened. Do you often comment on TV shows that you didn’t watch?

The entire thread is full of posts who simultaneously claim they never watch the sport and yet know everything about it that is wrong.

It is very odd to say the least.

ED pill commercial
Car commercial
Taco Bell commercial
Papa Johns commercial

ED pill commercial
Under Armour commercial
Nike commercial
Ford truck commercial

"In case you didn't know, the (insert my sport) is super popular and tons and tons of people love it. So you must be wrong!".

;)

On a real note, there are lots of things about lots of things that can be improved.

And lots of things people can see things as a negative.

It's sports.

And on that note, the lack of commercials with soccer is a huge positive. :thumbup:
But can you see how it can be a trigger when someone draws a conclusion based on blatantly false info.

Like the post on this page that said the US-England game had to have been boring because the US was obviously playing for the tie when in fact, the complete opposite was true, as other posters replied. This also would have been evident if even the most uninformed of viewers had watched the game.

ED pill commercial
Car commercial
Taco Bell commercial
Papa Johns commercial

ED pill commercial
Under Armour commercial
Nike commercial
Ford truck commercial

;)

.:thumbup:

In the main soccer thread, we often discuss ideas about how to improve the sport. Like any sport, soccer has things that need fixing.

But those suggestions comes from a base of people who watch and enjoy the sport, which I think severely skews things from when someone who dosn't watch and enjoy the sport suggests changes. Very different points of view.

Last edited:

ED pill commercial
Car commercial
Taco Bell commercial
Papa Johns commercial

ED pill commercial
Under Armour commercial
Nike commercial
Ford truck commercial

When it comes to presentation I totally agree. It’s borderline unwatchable and I barely watch anymore.

As far as the actual game/sport goes it’s not even close. While the NFL is chopped up, it’s 22 players giving maximum effort 100% of the time. They don’t don’t pretend to be hurt (except for Big Ben, that colossal attention whore!).

In all seriousness and all hyperbole aside, futbol/soccer can be enjoyable. I really enjoyed the year of the Brazil World Cup and recognize all the tension. The entire game can change in an instant and just like every sport, when it it played at a high level it’s exciting.

If you’re going to talk about it on a public message board with a bunch of American Football Neanderthals like myself, you’re not going to get responses that are favorable to soccer in relation to football.

:shrug:

As far as the actual game/sport goes it’s not even close. While the NFL is chopped up, it’s 22 players giving maximum effort 100% of the time. They don’t don’t pretend to be hurt (except for Big Ben, that colossal attention whore!).
100% huh?

As far as the actual game/sport goes it’s not even close. While the NFL is chopped up, it’s 22 players giving maximum effort 100% of the time. They don’t don’t pretend to be hurt .

It is no where near as much as soccer but it does happen.

Note that I have never met a soccer fan who likes flopping. It is the one clear item we would all like to see removed from the sport.

And I don’t believe anyone here ever said soccer is better than football (maybe they feel that way I don’t know). I’ll certainly watch the NFL over soccer 99 times out of 100. It’s why I’m here.

But there’s a lot of ground between that and dismissing soccer as an “effeminate” kickabout

If you’re going to talk about it on a public message board with a bunch of American Football Neanderthals like myself, you’re not going to get responses that are favorable to soccer in relation to football
It's not a bunch, it's only a couple.

That's the irony. If one is looking for a bunch of passionate NFL fans, the FFA ain't the spot.

If you are looking for a 'bunch', I would suggest looking in pretty much every gameday thread for the weekly bellyaching about how officiating, rule changes, bad coaching, have wrecked the NFL.

That's what a bunch looks like

ED pill commercial
Car commercial
Taco Bell commercial
Papa Johns commercial

ED pill commercial
Under Armour commercial
Nike commercial
Ford truck commercial

When it comes to presentation I totally agree. It’s borderline unwatchable and I barely watch anymore.

In all seriousness and all hyperbole aside, futbol/soccer can be enjoyable. I really enjoyed the year of the Brazil World Cup and recognize all the tension. The entire game can change in an instant and just like every sport, when it it played at a high level it’s exciting.

If you’re going to talk about it on a public message board with a bunch of American Football Neanderthals like myself, you’re not going to get responses that are favorable to soccer in relation to football.

:shrug:
NFL players "play" for about 11 minutes total per game. The rest is standing around in a huddle, waiting for the play to start, or standing on the sideline while the other half of the starters "play". They give "maximum effort" for about 5 seconds every 45 seconds for about half the game. https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052748704281204575002852055561406

I haven’t watched a second, doubt I will. It does seem like it’s “forced” on us, kind of like the Olympics. I see both sides of it, I just leave it be.
The Olympics and the World Cup are worldwide events. The largest sporting events in the history of this world. Seems odd to consider them being forced on you considering the worldwide interest and impact
about every other commercial for the last couple of months of fox sports is promoting it, so its ’forced’. then again, I didn’t grow up with soccer, so I’m not the target audience.
That’s fair. i don’t watch local or cable tv so i am in different spot than you. Enjoy the
More people in America just watched a relatively meaningless group stage soccer game than any World Series game this year (or last year, or the year before, or the year before that...)
On a holiday weekend when most are off. How do you think their ratings did against the noon college football games yesterday?
Looks like both likely got about 15 million viewers. It’s odd that you knock the soccer match because it was on a holiday weekend but ignore that it is an early round match. And then fail to compare it to what is pretty much a playoff football game on a day that just about everyone has off.

Which game got 15 million viewers?

If you are referring to the US game, 15 million was only one platform. The US game is at 20 million right now after the second broadcast station was added. Streaming numbers still to come which could add about a million more.

Actually it’s six scores, assuming it’s all XP’s.
Those XP attempts are the highlight of most Sundays!
Actually one of the better rule changes imo. It’s not automatic anymore.
It’s still not exciting enough to try to spin a TD and the XP as two separate scoring plays. Well, maybe it is for you, but I don’t think the general population would care if they eliminated the XP and just made the TD 7 points (or you could go for 2).

Sorry then. Many times that’s not the case.

It’s still not exciting enough to try to spin a TD and the XP as two separate scoring plays. Well, maybe it is for you, but I don’t think the general population would care if they eliminated the XP and just made the TD 7 points (or you could go for 2).
But they are two separate plays and you don’t get a chance at the xp without the TD. Just miss an XP and see how exciting it can be. The general public also watches the SB for the halftime first,

Not that you care obviously but the next US game is more what you may be referring to about a draw benefiting a team. The US requires a win to advance but Iran only requires a draw to advance.

But they are two separate plays and you don’t get a chance at the xp without the TD. Just miss an XP and see how exciting it can be. The general public also watches the SB for the halftime first,
I’m not going to argue about it but I think the general population of football fans (not the general public) don’t care about the XP. They don’t even show them on RedZone 😀.

Not that you care obviously but the next US game is more what you may be referring to about a draw benefiting a team. The US requires a win to advance but Iran only requires a draw to advance.
The off the field drama may be the best storyline - how will the Iran national team’s actions be received when they come home after a loss. That’s sudden death of epic proportions.

If it’s ever going to get anywhere close to the NFL in terms of casual fans watching, they have to do something about increasing scoring.
You left out "in the US" in the middle of your sentence.

3.5 BILLION people worldwide saw the 2018 World Cup final. It's estimated 5 BILLION will watch this year's final.
The vast majority of people posting on the Footballguy forums are from the US and discuss US topics. :shrug:

I just want to congratulate @eoMMan for keeping his every four year “nobody cares about soccer” thread starting streak going. See you in 2026 bud. :thumbup:

I think that's interesting. Talking negatively about a tie is the same as "nobody cares about soccer"?

As I've said I don't know much about it, but I can obviously see it's super popular and I'm interested in things people are interested in. But it seems like some are beyond sensitive about it just looking to be offended.

I think someone can think a tie is not good. I think people can think a tie is great.

I actually think those differences in how people see something are interesting and a good thing to discuss.

I don't think either of those is "nobody cares about soccer". Or maybe I'm missing something.
If it’s ever going to get anywhere close to the NFL in terms of casual fans watching, they have to do something about increasing scoring.
Who ever said catching the NFL is the goal? No other sport here is held to that standard, so why is that your bar for success or failure for soccer? I certainly don’t ever expect that to happen in my lifetime.
Used the NFL as an example because I believe that's the top dog currently in terms of viewership. Of course soccer will never get close to the NFL. They are having games that end 0-0.

That's a shot at college football players getting $200k in free education and being able to make NIL money not getting paid to play. Kind of strange when he's supporting an event hosted by a country the used force labor to build stadiums and oppresses women.

Thanks. Seems like an odd thing to call it.

I just want to congratulate @eoMMan for keeping his every four year “nobody cares about soccer” thread starting streak going. See you in 2026 bud. :thumbup:

I think that's interesting. Talking negatively about a tie is the same as "nobody cares about soccer"?

As I've said I don't know much about it, but I can obviously see it's super popular and I'm interested in things people are interested in. But it seems like some are beyond sensitive about it just looking to be offended.

I think someone can think a tie is not good. I think people can think a tie is great.

I actually think those differences in how people see something are interesting and a good thing to discuss.

I don't think either of those is "nobody cares about soccer". Or maybe I'm missing something.
Let’s not ignore that the most watched NFL game is not watched by casual fans because of the number of touchdowns scored. It’s watched because of the freaking commercials.

Let’s not ignore that the most watched NFL game is not watched by casual fans because of the number of touchdowns scored. It’s watched because of the freaking commercials.

And the halftime show.

And the halftime show.
And the announcers.

And the halftime show.
And the announcers.
The ladies love Joe Buck

Question on the economics. With no commercials, what are the ways soccer generates revenue outside of the live audience in the stadiums?

Question on the economics. With no commercials, what are the ways soccer generates revenue outside of the live audience in the stadiums?

In league play, the sponsorships on the jerseys are incredibly lucrative.

The ad boards you see along the side lines and end lines cost a fortune for companies to get their names on.

Also, I posted this in the other thread, Fox charged $600k per 30 second commercial for pre game, half time and post game. And since they pack those slots with commercials, that can add up quickly.

The TV rights themselves add up quickly too. Just here in the US alone, we must have close to $2 billion spent per year on soccer by the broadcasters.

World wide the tv contract numbers for a global league like the EPL must be astronomical.

The money FIFA makes for doing little more than taking bribes to choose a WC host is really obscene in some ways. They get every dime of the global TV contracts for the WC.

Teams generate income through broadcasting rights, sponsorships and corporate partnerships, ticket sales, hospitality, merchandising, gains on player transfers, IP licensing. There are also additional revenues generated from league and international competitions.

Users who are viewing this thread