What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What 5 NFL players would you take (1 Viewer)

TOC. JohnsonI went with Johnson instead of Moss because although talented, he could be a locker room cancer with his poor attitude. I think it would be fun watching TO and Chad trying to out do each others td dances and with Manning throwing the ball there would be a lot of them.
The only difference between TO/Johnson and Moss is that Moss is more talented. All 3 guys are in the same boat as far as personality and leadership. In other words all 3 are individuals. If your gonna take 2 guys like that anyways, you may as well take the MOST TALENTED one of all. Right?n I guess I'm finding it hard to justify how you leave off Moss because he is a cancer and put TO and Johnson on. TO has done far more in his career to prove he is a cancer and Johnson is not far behind. Are you sure that recent events are not skewing your results here? I mean think back to only a year ago and revisit what TO did in SF. It is WAY worse IMO than what Moss has done thus far.
No I'm sure, TO and Johnson don't admit to taking plays off and definately don't leave the field early. Moss is a big baby and I've never like him. Media attention and locker room cancer are two different things.

With all this debate and the huge amount of replys.....

Why not settle it once and for all....

Lets get 32 FBGs and draft a la Madden Fantasty Draft.

I will do my best to organize it if there are enough people interested.

RULES:

1) Snake Draft

2) Players Salary Counts, I will have to get a list of player salaries and post them, should not be hard, just take a while.

3) In the end we can set up a poll, for all FBGs to vote on and really see who set up the best FRANCHISE for NOW and the FUTURE.

TEAMS/ FBG

AFC WEST

San Diego

Denver---------------meabeln

Kansas City

Oakland

AFC NORTH

Pittsburgh

Baltimore

Cinncinati

Clevland

AFC SOUTH

Indy

Jacksonville

Houston

Tennesse

AFC EAST

New England

New York Jets

Buffalo

Miami

NFC WEST

Seattle

St. Louis

Arizona

San Fran

NFC NORTH

Green Bay

Minnesota

Detriot

Chicago

NFC SOUTH

Atlanta

New Orleans

Carolina

Tampa Bay

NFC EAST

Phily

Washington

Dallas

New York Giants

Just post a message if you want to take over a team.

We will try to start once all teams have been filled.

Unfortunately I have lots of class today, so i will not be back online until 3pm PAC

but i would think it would take at least that long, if not longer to fill the spots, so if there turns out to be a lot of interest in this, great, Ill be back around 3pm PAC.
AwesomeWould love to grab the Bears

TOC. JohnsonI went with Johnson instead of Moss because although talented, he could be a locker room cancer with his poor attitude. I think it would be fun watching TO and Chad trying to out do each others td dances and with Manning throwing the ball there would be a lot of them.
The only difference between TO/Johnson and Moss is that Moss is more talented. All 3 guys are in the same boat as far as personality and leadership. In other words all 3 are individuals. If your gonna take 2 guys like that anyways, you may as well take the MOST TALENTED one of all. Right?n I guess I'm finding it hard to justify how you leave off Moss because he is a cancer and put TO and Johnson on. TO has done far more in his career to prove he is a cancer and Johnson is not far behind. Are you sure that recent events are not skewing your results here? I mean think back to only a year ago and revisit what TO did in SF. It is WAY worse IMO than what Moss has done thus far.
No I'm sure, TO and Johnson don't admit to taking plays off and definately don't leave the field early. Moss is a big baby and I've never like him. Media attention and locker room cancer are two different things.
Wheather or not you like him or not should have nothing to do with this. How many of Moss' teammates have said he is a bad teammate or a cancer? Even when walking off of the field, they confronted him yet still supported him. TO on the other hand completely alianated his SF teammates and was totally public about it. The tension was clear there. I don't see it with Moss and the Vikes though.

Ok so far we have...meabeln- BroncosBlack+Gold- SteelersFridayFrenzy- SeattleRBM- Bearsthat is 4 out of 32, so what im think is it would be more likely if we got a total of 16 football guys, and each of us took over two teams, unless of course 28 more people sign in the next day or so. What do you guys think?

Ok so far we have...meabeln- BroncosBlack+Gold- SteelersFridayFrenzy- SeattleRBM- Bearsthat is 4 out of 32, so what im think is it would be more likely if we got a total of 16 football guys, and each of us took over two teams, unless of course 28 more people sign in the next day or so. What do you guys think?
If this is to get serious, when would the draft date be? How is a list of the players coming? Or should we just use NFL.coms alphabetic listing? I'll do it if I have the time on whatever day your planning on and dont care what team. We need details! :thumbup:

meabaln....one way to get more people would be to start up a thread dedicated to just this task.Just curious as to how the draft order will be selected?How many rounds? Our we just going to dedicate a thread for the draft ans set a time limit to post your selection? I don't really think its necessary to have a live draft at allAfter the draft is all done, get users responses as to what team had the best draft in their opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wheather or not you like him or not should have nothing to do with this. How many of Moss' teammates have said he is a bad teammate or a cancer? Even when walking off of the field, they confronted him yet still supported him. TO on the other hand completely alianated his SF teammates and was totally public about it. The tension was clear there. I don't see it with Moss and the Vikes though.
Yes TO did, but he didn't want to be there and let it be known. He isn't alianating any of his Philly teamates is he? I would never put a player on my team that is lazy and would walk out on his teamates because they lose. That is the time to stick together and fight through the tough times. Moss = No Heart - in my book. Talented yes, you will get no arguement out of me, but I have a hard time finding a winner in him with that poor attitude. TO talks crap and says If you don't like it stop me! Don't get me wrong, I don't like TO either, but he has a desire to win and I don't see that in Moss. I went with CJ because I do like him, he's young and talented and the end zone tactics of these 2 would be fun to see. I'm not arguing your point of talent, Moss just isn't my type of player.

Yes TO did, but he didn't want to be there and let it be known. He isn't alianating any of his Philly teamates is he?
Umm thats because its been somooth sailing in Phily thus far. What is there that he possible could be upset over.
I would never put a player on my team that is lazy and would walk out on his teamates because they lose. That is the time to stick together and fight through the tough times. Moss = No Heart - in my book.
Thats is exactly what TO did in SF. Walked out and quit on them. He also tried to burn as many bridges as he could on the way out too. Just becasue he hasn't done it in Philly (maybe yet) doesn't clear him. You may not like Rany Moss, but I don't think the is any way you can question his work ethic. Do you know what he does in the off-season? Regular season? I think not, none of us do. I do however remember reading articles last year and years prior that talked about his strong off-season commitment though. Moving to the beach and working in the sand for more explosivness and better speed training techs. I guess those things are just to be ignored since he is Randy Moss and not well liked though?Over Moss' stay in Minn, they have had only 2 bad seasons. 2 out of 7! Both could in no way be directly shown to be his fault alone. How is he not a winner? He has also proved over that time that he plays and shows up in the playoffs. Now there is no deniying that he is an immature punk at times, but I think his real commitment in life is football. I can remember him repeatedly stating that he wants to be the best. Much like nearly every WR in the league though he has an ego problem. Why punish him so much more than the others for that though?

Yes TO did, but he didn't want to be there and let it be known. He isn't alianating any of his Philly teamates is he?
Umm thats because its been somooth sailing in Phily thus far. What is there that he possible could be upset over.
I would never put a player on my team that is lazy and would walk out on his teamates because they lose. That is the time to stick together and fight through the tough times. Moss = No Heart - in my book.
Thats is exactly what TO did in SF. Walked out and quit on them. He also tried to burn as many bridges as he could on the way out too. Just becasue he hasn't done it in Philly (maybe yet) doesn't clear him. You may not like Rany Moss, but I don't think the is any way you can question his work ethic. Do you know what he does in the off-season? Regular season? I think not, none of us do. I do however remember reading articles last year and years prior that talked about his strong off-season commitment though. Moving to the beach and working in the sand for more explosivness and better speed training techs. I guess those things are just to be ignored since he is Randy Moss and not well liked though?Over Moss' stay in Minn, they have had only 2 bad seasons. 2 out of 7! Both could in no way be directly shown to be his fault alone. How is he not a winner? He has also proved over that time that he plays and shows up in the playoffs. Now there is no deniying that he is an immature punk at times, but I think his real commitment in life is football. I can remember him repeatedly stating that he wants to be the best. Much like nearly every WR in the league though he has an ego problem. Why punish him so much more than the others for that though?
I'm not, remember you attacked me on this subject. I'm just defending my position. I don't like Moss and wouldn't have him on my team, end of story. In real life many teams seen the same character flaws as I do and stayed away. He could be a lion but they stayed clear, now he eats us up. Again this isn't about talent, its about how I perceive his character and I don't see a winner in him. When he wins it all, come back and I'll eat crow. Until then he doesn't do anything to make his team any better other than catch the football. He gets pissy when his number isn't called and stops running his routes when the ball isn't coming his way. Never mind continueing your route to pull the safety over so someone else can get open. Don't bother running down field to throw a key block. No just get mad and walk off the field. It may be for you and thats ok, this was who would you have as your 5 players to start a team and he's not one of mine. As far as TO, maybe he did quit on his team in SF, but you can't question his desire to win. Thats the whole reason he wanted out of SF and he burned bridges to make sure he did get out. Do you think after the stink he put up they would use the franchise tag on him? Hell no, and he knew that!

I'm not, remember you attacked me on this subject. I'm just defending my position. I don't like Moss and wouldn't have him on my team, end of story. In real life many teams seen the same character flaws as I do and stayed away. He could be a lion but they stayed clear, now he eats us up. Again this isn't about talent, its about how I perceive his character and I don't see a winner in him. When he wins it all, come back and I'll eat crow. Until then he doesn't do anything to make his team any better other than catch the football. He gets pissy when his number isn't called and stops running his routes when the ball isn't coming his way. Never mind continueing your route to pull the safety over so someone else can get open. Don't bother running down field to throw a key block. No just get mad and walk off the field. It may be for you and thats ok, this was who would you have as your 5 players to start a team and he's not one of mine. As far as TO, maybe he did quit on his team in SF, but you can't question his desire to win. Thats the whole reason he wanted out of SF and he burned bridges to make sure he did get out. Do you think after the stink he put up they would use the franchise tag on him? Hell no, and he knew that!
Are you still watching games from the 98 and 99 seasons or something? Moss has been finishing routs the past few years and yes, he has been blocking. I guess you missed the block he throw vs GB just this past weekend to help spring Mo for that 1st 60+ TD. We are constantly reminded year after year come draft time how many team made a MISTAKE by passing on Moss. After that draft, teams did start taking chances on "troubled" players and too many at that. So I'm not sure what that is supposed to mean. I still have no clue as to how you know that Moss has no passion to win. I mean isn't that the very reason he did walk off the field? Because he was tired of loosing. Was it the right decision, no of course not. But it seems it sprung form his strong will to want to win. They guy was just out there this past week in a playoff game with a bum ankle that most wouldn't even play on. Yet he still managed to score the game sealing TD. How is that not a desire to win? Because of his ######id endzone dance that was rather meaningless to the game though, you say he had no desire. :confused: If your dislike for Moss is so great that you don't want him on your team even over less talented players, thats fine. You however seem to be making up other reasons as to why you don't want him. You seem intent on finding every way you can to justify TO's actions meanwhile you look for every way possible to exagerate Moss'. This strikes me as a double standard, but if thats how you feel about it so be it.

Interesting side note to this conversation.This morning on the Mike & Mike Show, Greeny and Golic were having a debate over which NFL player you would choose to start an NFL franchise. The rules were you could select ONE player from the current league rosters (so chronological age mattered).Shortly thereafter, Chris Mortensen was on to do his weekly schtick and they posed the question to him. Apparently Greeny had picked Vick and Golic had picked Manning, and went on to explain that it's a good thing Greeny isn't an NFL personnel man because there aren't many out there who would choose Vick over Manning or a host of other players. Greeny thought Golic was out of his mind.Getting back to Mortensen...Mort said he has these conversations with GMs all the time and without question, the VAST majority of personnel men would pick Peyton Manning, in a landslide. Greeny was stunned, and then asked if it's fair to say Vick would be the 2nd choice. Mort basically sounded like a teacher lecturing a pupil in explaining to Greeny that as good as Vick is, he wouldn't figure in the conversation. Most GMs pick Manning, and then are torn between the likes of McNabb, Brady, Culpepper and a few other non QB players.Mort said that while most NFL personnel people drool over Vick's obvious physical skills, there is widespread doubt now about whether he'll ever be a high percentage passer and virtually no one feels comfortable betting on what Vick is going to bring to the table in five years given his style. The day Vick can't run a 4.3 anymore is a day that big, fat new contract is going to look awfully sketchy in ATL.Just thought this was an interesting discourse to share.
I agree with Manning as the top choice.Teams can spend 20 years searching for a franchise quarterback. They are just so hard to find. You just have to take Manning.

I'm surprised that so many people are ignoring the D side of the ball in this. IMO, Shut down CBs are the the best way to start any team. 2nd would be Stud Ts and Stud Dlinemen. Controling the LOS is the most important thing in the NFL. Shut down CBs allow you to stack the box create confusion and blitz like crazy. Leading to chaos for the opposing Oline. Dlinemen who can do it by themsleves it are just as good (but not as fun IMO). Stud Tackles allow Os freedom you just can't get by having to leave TEs and RBs in for passs protection help. A franchise QB may be next in line IMO, but RBs and good WRs are a dime a dozen in the NFL today. Yeah maybe you don't get the Freakish Moss, but with a solid D and 7 seconds to throw iven the Kennison's and Pinkstons of teh league can get open (well maybe thats taking it a bit far).Come to think of it though, I don't know how you don't take Moss. The guy occupies 2-3 defenders on every play!
Did you see my list ;) . McCalister, Champ, and Ed Reed ;)

Eh, what am I thinking?Mike Ditka (QB)Mike Ditka (LT)Mike Ditka (TE)Mike Ditka (DE)Mike Ditka (CB)

MANNINGFREENEYPEPPERSREEDBAILEYGotta build with Defense and you always hear NFL General Managers talking about pass rush and cover guys(and i will add an great leader and playmaker in Reed) and then Manning would be efficient enough to build an offense around.

I'll take...Manning- best QB in the game despite lack of playoff experienceRay Lewis-all over the fieldJulius Peppers- need a pass rush and he might be the bestTorry Holt-best WR in the game that isn't a distraction/donkeyAntonio Gates- gets the nod over Gonzo cause of age

LT Jonathan OgdenLG Alan FanecaC Matt BirkDE Jason TaylorDT Cornelius Griffin
:thumbup: Similar idea, build from the trenches, but I want some skill players first too.
If I can't get a QB and RB to play well behind that line, they won't play well anymore. My 6th pick would be Randy Moss. If a QB can't live throwing to Moss behind the line I gave him well...
I agree with this philosophy. Smart man.

Are you still watching games from the 98 and 99 seasons or something? Moss has been finishing routs the past few years and yes, he has been blocking. I guess you missed the block he throw vs GB just this past weekend to help spring Mo for that 1st 60+ TD. We are constantly reminded year after year come draft time how many team made a MISTAKE by passing on Moss. After that draft, teams did start taking chances on "troubled" players and too many at that. So I'm not sure what that is supposed to mean. I still have no clue as to how you know that Moss has no passion to win. I mean isn't that the very reason he did walk off the field? Because he was tired of loosing. Was it the right decision, no of course not. But it seems it sprung form his strong will to want to win. They guy was just out there this past week in a playoff game with a bum ankle that most wouldn't even play on. Yet he still managed to score the game sealing TD. How is that not a desire to win? Because of his ######id endzone dance that was rather meaningless to the game though, you say he had no desire. :confused: If your dislike for Moss is so great that you don't want him on your team even over less talented players, thats fine. You however seem to be making up other reasons as to why you don't want him. You seem intent on finding every way you can to justify TO's actions meanwhile you look for every way possible to exagerate Moss'. This strikes me as a double standard, but if thats how you feel about it so be it.
No, I didn't watch the game because I don't like Minny or GB and didn't really care either way who won. I've already stated I don't like Moss. I'm sure there are players out there that you don't like. Being from Michigan we haven't had any excitement on Offense since Barry left as you should know unless you just like sporting a lions avatar. Again I'm not argueing that Moss isn't the best receiver in the game, I think he is, just don't like the guy. I'm not sure he is all there in the head. Looking at their last three years production I don't think there is that much difference between them:Moss - 266/3746, 37tds

TO - 257/3602, 36tds

CJ - 254/3795, 24tds

CJ don't have as many tds, but he is younger. Plus he would be on the opposing teams 2nd CB and should get open easier, so his number would increase, especially with Manning as my QB. What ever TO and CJ would lack, would be made up by LT being my RB. So yes Moss is the best, but I would rather have TO and CJ. Besides that I think Moss and TO would constantly be #####ing because they both have to get the ball and be the #1 guy. I think CJ would be fine getting the scraps.

Besides that I think Moss and TO would constantly be #####ing because they both have to get the ball and be the #1 guy. I think CJ would be fine getting the scraps.
:rotflmao: I cant argue with you there. :thumbup:

I'm surprised that so many people are ignoring the D side of the ball in this. IMO, Shut down CBs are the the best way to start any team. 2nd would be Stud Ts and Stud Dlinemen. Controling the LOS is the most important thing in the NFL. Shut down CBs allow you to stack the box create confusion and blitz like crazy. Leading to chaos for the opposing Oline. Dlinemen who can do it by themsleves it are just as good (but not as fun IMO). Stud Tackles allow Os freedom you just can't get by having to leave TEs and RBs in for passs protection help. A franchise QB may be next in line IMO, but RBs and good WRs are a dime a dozen in the NFL today. Yeah maybe you don't get the Freakish Moss, but with a solid D and 7 seconds to throw iven the Kennison's and Pinkstons of teh league can get open (well maybe thats taking it a bit far).Come to think of it though, I don't know how you don't take Moss. The guy occupies 2-3 defenders on every play!
Yes I did and really like all 3 of those guys. I did wonder though why you choose to go with Gates? I mean TE doesnt' really seem to be a very high demand position. What was your thought there?

Detriot <- Ray
Count me in. I'll take the Lions.As for my 5 cornerstone players, I'll go with:

5) Chris McAlister - Shut down corner #2.

4) Champ Bailey - Shut down corner (except vs. Chad Johnson ;) ) #1.

3) Richard Seymore - Top notch DT AND DE....flexibility.

2) Julius Peppers - Top notch pass rusher, stops the run well AND best zone-dog

dropping DE in the league.

And with all that great D, all I'll need is:

1) Adam Vinatieri - we'll just need 3 pts to win. :D hahaha...j/k

real 1) Peyton Manning - leader, great arm, work ethic like none other, smart, whole package.

Staff:

GM - Ozzie Newsome

HC - Bill Parcells

OC - Tom Moore

DC - Greg Williams

Detriot <- Ray
Count me in. I'll take the Lions.As for my 5 cornerstone players, I'll go with:

5) Chris McAlister - Shut down corner #2.

4) Champ Bailey - Shut down corner (except vs. Chad Johnson ;) ) #1.

3) Richard Seymore - Top notch DT AND DE....flexibility.

2) Julius Peppers - Top notch pass rusher, stops the run well AND best zone-dog

dropping DE in the league.

And with all that great D, all I'll need is:

1) Adam Vinatieri - we'll just need 3 pts to win. :D hahaha...j/k

real 1) Peyton Manning - leader, great arm, work ethic like none other, smart, whole package.

Staff:

GM - Ozzie Newsome

HC - Bill Parcells

OC - Tom Moore

DC - Greg Williams
Hey Ray,This is a pretty good list. One question, you would honestly take Bill Parcells as your head coach? As amazing as his career has been, I just don't see him as the best coach in the NFL anymore, he's in that first tier (just under Belichick who sits alone), but there are a handful of other coaches I'd rather have.

I'm surprised that so many people are ignoring the D side of the ball in this.  IMO, Shut down CBs are the the best way to start any team.  2nd would be Stud Ts and Stud Dlinemen.  Controling the LOS is the most important thing in the NFL.  Shut down CBs allow you to stack the box create confusion and blitz like crazy.  Leading to chaos for the opposing Oline.  Dlinemen who can do it by themsleves it are just as good (but not as fun IMO).  Stud Tackles allow Os freedom you just can't get by having to leave TEs and RBs in for passs protection help.  A franchise QB may be next in line IMO, but RBs and good WRs are a dime a dozen in the NFL today.  Yeah maybe you don't get the Freakish Moss, but with a solid D and 7 seconds to throw iven the Kennison's and Pinkstons of teh league can get open (well maybe thats taking it a bit far).Come to think of it though, I don't know how you don't take Moss.  The guy occupies 2-3 defenders on every play!
Yes I did and really like all 3 of those guys. I did wonder though why you choose to go with Gates? I mean TE doesnt' really seem to be a very high demand position. What was your thought there?
Another VBD area. Living in Annapolis, I get to see a lot of Todd Heap. Also, I watched a lot of Gonzolez this season having him in a couple leagues. What these players do to opposing defense matchups is pretty amazing.I wanted to choose Heap, but his injury bug has me worried. I chose Gates because of his age.For me, on offense, it is all about matchups.

Hey Ray,This is a pretty good list. One question, you would honestly take Bill Parcells as your head coach? As amazing as his career has been, I just don't see him as the best coach in the NFL anymore, he's in that first tier (just under Belichick who sits alone), but there are a handful of other coaches I'd rather have.
I think I would. I struggled with the choice. I like Belichick, Fox, Del'Rio...even Gruden (with Belichick being the obvious #1), but I thought they were all close enough that I could afford to take the guy who I like to see interviewed the most. :DBesides, would you rather hang out with Parcells or Belichick?

I think I would. I struggled with the choice. I like Belichick, Fox, Del'Rio...even Gruden...
I can't believe you didn't question me for not including Andy Reid! I was baiting you, and you swam right bye. :(So, in case someone digs this up later, Andy Reid would be on my list too. (After this week, Jim Mora Jr. is inching up there too...)(fyi - excluding cowher because I prefer to stay dry - ;) j/k)

I think I would. I struggled with the choice. I like Belichick, Fox, Del'Rio...even Gruden...
I can't believe you didn't question me for not including Andy Reid! I was baiting you, and you swam right bye. :(So, in case someone digs this up later, Andy Reid would be on my list too. (After this week, Jim Mora Jr. is inching up there too...)(fyi - excluding cowher because I prefer to stay dry - ;) j/k)
Hey Ray,I didn't swallow the bait because coaching choices are so subjective. I've heard some claim Brian Billick deserves to be considered a better coach than Reid because he's won a SB, and if SB wins are the ultimate goal (which they are), I'm not going to argue against that logic.I can't see why Fox or Del Rio would fit into the argument, but Reid has yet to get the Birds to a Bowl and until he does, he'll be open for criticism.As a fan though, seeing how well the franchise is run (under his watch), how the team is rarely if ever unprepared or lacking focus, how the team excels post byes and in spotlights games (testaments to coaching), all while the team remains comfortably under the cap, I wouldn't swap him for anyone not named Bill Belichick.Tough to argue with 11-5, 11-5, 12-4, 12-4, 13-3...with 5 straight division titles; but the SB albatross is a real one until it's not.

PeppersBradyReedTomlinsonSeymourAlthough I'd drop any two of those from the list for a shot at hiring Belichick as coach.

Users who are viewing this thread