What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What do the Patriots need more (1 Viewer)

Who is a better use of Cap Space for the Patriots

• Total voters
With the talk of the Pats releasing Brandon Llyod, the best WR on their roster under contract for 2013 will be Matt Slater. I went with WR.

I don't think they should overpay to keep Welker, but having said that I think he is likely about to be signed.(for less than some might think, but more than I would give him).IMHO they need 2ndary help and more\some height\speed at wr.

Definitely need a better pass rush. I haven't been very impressed with it so far. But on offense, it's definitely WR. Welker makes the most sense, but if they can'tagree on a fair amount, they should look elsewhere.

Definitely need a better pass rush. I haven't been very impressed with it so far. But on offense, it's definitely WR. Welker makes the most sense, but if they can'tagree on a fair amount, they should look elsewhere.
If Hernandez and Gronk can ever be healthy at the same time, this team needs nothing on offense. Ridley and Vereen are looking dynamic and if they improve the secondary and pass rush this team won't need to put up 50 to win every game.

Should've been an option for both. If I had to choose only one betwen the two, I'd say they need to get that secondary in order. They can make do with cheap free agents at WR. It would break my heart to see Wes go, though.

The Patriots have absolutely no team speed. That's what they should concentrate on in the off-season.

They should go sign Mike Wallace, let Lloyd go, bring back Welker. They have a nice duo developing at RB. They need to shore up the OL.Defense? This is the NFL 2013, defense?

I do not think this is an even or situation.I think Brady has set the example and that it is likely in Welkers best interest to follow that example and re-sign with the Patriots with a semi team friendly deal. I think that will ultimately happen.However improving the defense and in particular the secondary is a larger priority for the Partiots than signing a WR or re-signing Welker. Brady has shown he will productive with whatever WRs he has available, so they already know if corners need to be cut they can be cut there without a huge drop off with the offense.

Welker. Now is not the time start over on offense.I also think they should keep Lloyd. He wasn't great, but he was about 500% better than most of their drafted or free agent signed WR's.

MBrandon Lloyd's time with New England Patriots over? By Chris WesselingAround the League WriterPublished: Feb. 26, 2013
Around the League pointed out earlier this month that Brandon Lloyd is hardly guaranteed to collect his scheduled $3 million option bonus from the New England Patriots this offseason.Although the Patriots are suddenly flush with salary-cap space thanks to Tom Brady's three-year extension, The Boston Globe's Greg Bedard wrote Monday that the odds are still against Lloyd's option being picked up.Lloyd arrived in New England with a reputation for moodiness and selfishness as a locker-room lawyer type. After one season with the Patriots, his "erratic behavior in the locker room and on the practice field proved tiresome," one source told The Globe.An example of Lloyd's eccentricity? One player claims he was in the middle of a conversation with the receiver a few weeks ago when Lloyd stopped him in mid-sentence to say, "I don't want to talk to you anymore."The Patriots have a reputation for keeping those distractions in-house. It becomes an offseason issue, however, when coaches look at game film and realize Lloyd's inconsistencies while failing to live up to expectations in the old Randy Moss role as an outside threat down the left sideline.While there remains "internal debate" about Lloyd's future, the Patriots' front office is expected to be active in free agency. As NFL.com's Ian Rapoport points out, impending free-agent speedster Mike Wallace of the Pittsburgh Steelers has long been object of coach Bill Belichick's affection.

MBrandon Lloyd's time with New England Patriots over?

By Chris Wesseling

Around the League Writer

Published: Feb. 26, 2013

Around the League pointed out earlier this month that Brandon Lloyd is hardly guaranteed to collect his scheduled $3 million option bonus from the New England Patriots this offseason.

Although the Patriots are suddenly flush with salary-cap space thanks to Tom Brady's three-year extension, The Boston Globe's Greg Bedard wrote Monday that the odds are still against Lloyd's option being picked up.

Lloyd arrived in New England with a reputation for moodiness and selfishness as a locker-room lawyer type. After one season with the Patriots, his "erratic behavior in the locker room and on the practice field proved tiresome," one source told The Globe.

An example of Lloyd's eccentricity? One player claims he was in the middle of a conversation with the receiver a few weeks ago when Lloyd stopped him in mid-sentence to say, "I don't want to talk to you anymore."

The Patriots have a reputation for keeping those distractions in-house. It becomes an offseason issue, however, when coaches look at game film and realize Lloyd's inconsistencies while failing to live up to expectations in the old Randy Moss role as an outside threat down the left sideline.

While there remains "internal debate" about Lloyd's future, the Patriots' front office is expected to be active in free agency. As NFL.com's Ian Rapoport points out, impending free-agent speedster Mike Wallace of the Pittsburgh Steelers has long been object of coach Bill Belichick's affection.

Last edited by a moderator:

By Chris Wesseling

Around the League Writer

Around the League pointed out earlier this month that Brandon Lloyd is hardly guaranteed to collect his scheduled $3 million option bonus from the New England Patriots this offseason.

Although the Patriots are suddenly flush with salary-cap space thanks to Tom Brady's three-year extension, The Boston Globe's Greg Bedard wrote Monday that the odds are still against Lloyd's option being picked up.

Lloyd arrived in New England with a reputation for moodiness and selfishness as a locker-room lawyer type. After one season with the Patriots, his "erratic behavior in the locker room and on the practice field proved tiresome," one source told The Globe.

An example of Lloyd's eccentricity? One player claims he was in the middle of a conversation with the receiver a few weeks ago when Lloyd stopped him in mid-sentence to say, "I don't want to talk to you anymore."

The Patriots have a reputation for keeping those distractions in-house. It becomes an offseason issue, however, when coaches look at game film and realize Lloyd's inconsistencies while failing to live up to expectations in the old Randy Moss role as an outside threat down the left sideline.

While there remains "internal debate" about Lloyd's future, the Patriots' front office is expected to be active in free agency. As NFL.com's Ian Rapoport points out, impending free-agent speedster Mike Wallace of the Pittsburgh Steelers has long been object of coach Bill Belichick's affection.
I was under the impression that Wallace was a 1 trick pony who wants a boatload of money. For those 2 reasons I didn't think NE would have aany interest in him. Stranger things have happened, but I didnt think he was on their radar.

By Chris Wesseling

Around the League Writer

I was under the impression that Wallace was a 1 trick pony who wants a boatload of money. For those 2 reasons I didn't think NE would have aany interest in him. Stranger things have happened, but I didnt think he was on their radar.
I don't believe that Wallace is a 1 trick pony.I know that's the popular tag for him. Just don't buy it.

By Chris Wesseling

Around the League Writer

I don't believe that Wallace is a 1 trick pony.I know that's the popular tag for him. Just don't buy it.
Nothing solid, just the impression I got.

Nah, I don't think Wallace is a one trick pony, but I also don't think he's worth the mega millions that he feels he deserves (like $8+ mil/year). If that's the case, then I agree with David that I don'tsee NE signing him. If he's reasonable and willing to work with NE he could land there and it would be a perfect spot for him. He brings badly needed speed, and when defenses have to focus so much on Hernandez and Gronk. Oh my... and bring Welker back?! Wallace will find single coverage a norm and he could exploit that very well. Especially when teams are having to decide whether to put their #1 CB on Welker or Wallace. Nightmare right there...

They have Gronk and Hernandez. Welker is just another guy running routes over the middle. Teams like Ravens and Jets shut down in the middle of the field and the offense was useless in the playoffs. Use Welker's money to get a decent outside threat.

:lmao:

'voiceofunreason said:
They have Gronk and Hernandez. Welker is just another guy running routes over the middle. Teams like Ravens and Jets shut down in the middle of the field and the offense was useless in the playoffs. Use Welker's money to get a decent outside threat.
you obviously watch very little, or no football, at all..Ravens shut down the middle of the field? I suppose that's why Welker caught 8-117-1 in the playoff loss to the Ravens...?the offense was useless in the playoffs? again, Welker v. Houston, 8-131..so yeah i guess he truly IS just another guy going over the middle.. :rolleyes:

..I'd say Welker is the most unstoppable WR after Calvin..Fitz,Green,AJ- I get all of those..but Welker's reception totals are

better than all of these guys over the past 6 seasons..5 time pro bowl participant, 2 time All Pro..obviously, Welker gets NO respect :shrug:

he is the single most important, consistent piece to the Patriots offense..his route running is legendary..his connection with Brady is like Jimmy Johnson/Knaus in Nascar..they're ALWAYS on the same page, practically reading each other's mind...letting Welker go would create a vacuum in the Patriots offense

Hernandez is all that and a bag of chips? really? in three NFL seasons, he's played in just 38 games ( out of 48).. has not played a full 16 game schedule..in those three seasons, he's averaging a paltry 58 recs, 652, 6td..the most alarming thing is that his ypc have gone down(significantly) in each of his three seasons in the NFL..he avg's just 48 yards/gm..

HARDLY all-world huh? 75-yr old Antonio Gates has avg'd better numbers over the past three seasons, so has local legend (Wayne, NJ)Greg Olsen and a boatload of other TE's..

Hernandez is an also-ran, oft-injured player who suffers from the dropsies from time to time..unfortunately,he'll never be anything more than a ho-hum 50-60 rec/yr TE..he is amazingly brittle..

Gronk you say? can he stay healthy?

Patriots need a shutdown corner ( Jets won't trade Revis to NE) , d-linemen that can get after a QB , and a couple of speedy WR's not named B. Lloyd..he needs to go..

Comparing other TEs to Hernandez is a bit unfair IMO. No one else had to compete with Gronk for targets and production . . . let alone the other options on offense (Welker, Lloyd, and the RBs).Even with all that, Hernandez has averaged 864 yfs and 8 TD projected over a full season. That still is not chopped liver. And over the past 2 post seasons, his numbers were actually a little better (71 yds/gm). I agree he is an injury risk and has trouble staying on the field, but so has Gronk over his collegiate and professional career.If Welker goes, I suspect Hernandez will inherit the most of Wes' numbers (based on who the Pats will likely have on their roster and not considering any imported players).

5 time pro bowl participant, 2 time All Pro..obviously, Welker gets NO respect :shrug:
Here's the rub. The Pats won 3 titles without a Pro Bowl WR. (Technically they did have one one year, but Troy Brown was selected more as a special teamer.)But they haven't won a SB without a first or second team All Pro safety (Milloy or Harrison), nor have they won without another All Pro defender (CB Law, MLB Bruschi, or DE Seymour).So I will float this out there. Would the Pats rather have an All Pro receiver back in Welker for the money he wants or an All Pro defender (if there was a way to guarantee that) instead? And what would their record likely be in each case?

On a side note, ran into Gronk tonight pretty much by accident. I was at my kid's basketball game. He was there for an autograph signing. I missed that part initially, so when I bumped into him, I was like, "That guy looks like Gronk" and thought nothing of it. I mean, who thinks Rob Gronkowski would be at your kid's basketball game in New Hampshire? I initially missed the insanely long stretch limo and the massive crowd of people in line. He definitley lives life like a rock star and is far from having self-esteem issues.

He definitley lives life like a rock star and is far from having self-esteem issues.
:lmao: Yeah, there are no examples of rock stars with self-esteem issues. Solid logic.
My point was he is not a wallflower and comes across as the life of the party. He has a lot of sweagger and doesn't care what anyone thinks.
Did he keep his shirt on?
Shirt stayed on. No dancing.

you obviously watch very little, or no football, at all..Ravens shut down the middle of the field? I suppose that's why Welker caught 8-117-1 in the playoff loss to the Ravens...?the offense was useless in the playoffs? again, Welker v. Houston, 8-131..so yeah i guess he truly IS just another guy going over the middle.. :rolleyes:

..I'd say Welker is the most unstoppable WR after Calvin..Fitz,Green,AJ- I get all of those..but Welker's reception totals are

better than all of these guys over the past 6 seasons..5 time pro bowl participant, 2 time All Pro..obviously, Welker gets NO respect :shrug:

he is the single most important, consistent piece to the Patriots offense..his route running is legendary..his connection with Brady is like Jimmy Johnson/Knaus in Nascar..they're ALWAYS on the same page, practically reading each other's mind...letting Welker go would create a vacuum in the Patriots offense

Hernandez is all that and a bag of chips? really? in three NFL seasons, he's played in just 38 games ( out of 48).. has not played a full 16 game schedule..in those three seasons, he's averaging a paltry 58 recs, 652, 6td..the most alarming thing is that his ypc have gone down(significantly) in each of his three seasons in the NFL..he avg's just 48 yards/gm..

HARDLY all-world huh? 75-yr old Antonio Gates has avg'd better numbers over the past three seasons, so has local legend (Wayne, NJ)Greg Olsen and a boatload of other TE's..

Hernandez is an also-ran, oft-injured player who suffers from the dropsies from time to time..unfortunately,he'll never be anything more than a ho-hum 50-60 rec/yr TE..he is amazingly brittle..

Patriots need a shutdown corner ( Jets won't trade Revis to NE) , d-linemen that can get after a QB , and a couple of speedy WR's not named B. Lloyd..he needs to go..
I completely agree with your assessment of Welker but your opinion on Hernandez is way off the mark. While he does have injury history, he had 50 catches and 5 tds in essentially 8 games in 2012. He's also 23 and could easily stand to get better.

yeah, didn't he already catch 79 balls in 14 games a couple years ago when he was, like, 21?

Users who are viewing this thread