What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What is the best way to extend the coverage of a dual band wireless router (specifically the 5g) (1 Viewer)

NewlyRetired said:
thanks guys!  I actually don't have a lot of worry about the tv functioning.  Even at the lowest recorded speed I am way higher than what Netflix recommends for 4k streaming.  I am more interested in making sure I have a relatively efficiently configured set up.

I think downloading a specific speed app makes sense instead of the dumb browser.  I will see if the GoogleTV store has one later today.

Even if nothing gets better from here, the mesh system is already significantly better than my old stand alone browser for speed and coverage.

NewlyRetired said:
ok I found where they buried it in the app.  All the 5g devices in the house are correctly being connected to 5g.

You were correct.  As soon as I downloaded a few real speed apps instead of the dumb browser, the speed on the TV now much more closely matches what I see on my phone.

I think I am done testing for now and will just go into full use mode and see if any issues pop up but I doubt they will.
See this the problem with the newly retired. They have this incredible amount of time to fret over details most of us just move on from. Reminds me of those commercials with Dr. Rick  :P

I keed. Glad you got it figured out and things are zipping along  :thumbup:

If your system does 2.4ghz and 5 ghz (which it should), then you can still connect them. The key is getting them far enough away from the points so that they have to connect via 2.4ghz. Once you do that one time to set up, then it'll be fine from there on out. The easiest way is to disconnect all but the router and then go as far away from that as you can that has an outlet.
OR just go into router settings and turn off 5g. Setup plug. The turn it back on. I had to do this for a old camera

If your system does 2.4ghz and 5 ghz (which it should), then you can still connect them. The key is getting them far enough away from the points so that they have to connect via 2.4ghz. Once you do that one time to set up, then it'll be fine from there on out. The easiest way is to disconnect all but the router and then go as far away from that as you can that has an outlet.
I have a bunch of 2.4 only devices that are right next to nodes and they connect via 2.4 with out having to move them.  Why do 2.4 smart plugs have to be treated differently to get them to connect?

I have a bunch of 2.4 only devices that are right next to nodes and they connect via 2.4 with out having to move them.  Why do 2.4 smart plugs have to be treated differently to get them to connect?
They shouldnt.  The issue I had was the camera needed 2.4gz which was no problem but the device you were using to do the initial setup (my phone) has to be on the same network. So my phone kept connecting to 5ghz. So the camera would never complete setup    Just something to keep in the back of your mind.

I had only one plug that I had to do the above for. The rest were able to connect. That was the solution I found and it worked. Was just passing it along.

They shouldnt.  The issue I had was the camera needed 2.4gz which was no problem but the device you were using to do the initial setup (my phone) has to be on the same network. So my phone kept connecting to 5ghz. So the camera would never complete setup    Just something to keep in the back of your mind.
2.4Ghz and 5Ghz should be the same network, just different frequencies (same SSID - I don't know of any mesh devices that have split SSIDs based on frequency). I have setup a multitude of 2.4Ghz devices using my phone on 5Ghz, seems like it was something else that would prevent that.

thanks guys!  I actually don't have a lot of worry about the tv functioning.  Even at the lowest recorded speed I am way higher than what Netflix recommends for 4k streaming.  I am more interested in making sure I have a relatively efficiently configured set up.

I think downloading a specific speed app makes sense instead of the dumb browser.  I will see if the GoogleTV store has one later today.

Even if nothing gets better from here, the mesh system is already significantly better than my old stand alone browser for speed and coverage.
Update?

Just bought a new NetGear Nighthawk router to replace my older NetGear.

They keep sending me emails trying to sell me a "Router Security" package. I think it was around 75.00 for a year at first, now they are down to 20.00.

I have computer and phone security protection. Never had a router specific protection for my older one. Is this needed??

Just bought a new NetGear Nighthawk router to replace my older NetGear.

They keep sending me emails trying to sell me a "Router Security" package. I think it was around 75.00 for a year at first, now they are down to 20.00.

I have computer and phone security protection. Never had a router specific protection for my older one. Is this needed??
No but I run one on my mesh but run minimal virus protection on my pc

Users who are viewing this thread