What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What is your commute like? (2 Viewers)

What is your commute in the evening?

• 0-5 minutes

Votes: 33 15.3%
  • 5-10 minutes

Votes: 22 10.2%
  • 10-30 minutes

Votes: 65 30.2%
  • 30-60 minutes

Votes: 67 31.2%
  • 6o minutes plus?

Votes: 28 13.0%

• Total voters
Mr. Ected said:
I am a Mr. Mom, so 0 commute. I answered the survey for my wife. For those familiar with the area, we live in Leesburg, VA and she works in Tyson’s. It’s about 25 miles each way (she goes route 7 to avoid obscene tolls) and it takes her about an hour each way. She is able to work from home 2 day each week, which helps a ton. 

To keep her sanity on that long drive she has been listening to audiobooks; she says it really helps.
i listen to audiobooks too. Total commute each day for me is 4 hours. For $50 a year you can get a Brooklyn Library Card, with access to 14,000 audiobooks.

Work 35 miles from home

40 minutes if I take the toll way (but that is $7 each way, so I usually only use if I'm in a hurry or need to be home/work ASAP).

60 minutes if I take the interstate and state road.

3 sports radio stations help keep me updated on what I've missed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Guess I don't have it as annoying as I thought.  Even though when on the highway in stop and go it's extremely frustrating and winter is worse.

I can get to work in 12-15 minutes and home in 15-20.  The days I have to go get my son from school or day camp is a good 45 min- hour.  That's maybe 3/10 trips a week.

20 minutes from front door to my desk.  I live in a first ring suburb, so I don't even get on a highway.  I come early so I can leave early, so I miss both rush hours where even the side streets get a little busy.  I wish I could cut it down to zero as most of what I do could be done from a home office, but they just won't let that happen.  :kicksrock:  

Quint said:
22 miles round trip, on a two lane divided highway for about 50% of it (the rest is normal, city traffic w/ stoplights & stop signs). normally takes 20 -25 each way depending on day and time. 
Stop stealing my commute details!

So in the morning there’s a little more traffic and I’m going against gravity to the office upstairs.  There’s some traffic around the coffee maker in the kitchen because the dog treats are close and my buddy thinks he needs one. At that point, I move around him and it’s 16 steps and down a hallway. On a good day, 30 seconds til I’m at my desk. 

Finishing up the day is a bit easier.  I’m going with gravity and it does most of the work. 

i listen to audiobooks too. Total commute each day for me is 4 hours. For $50 a year you can get a Brooklyn Library Card, with access to 14,000 audiobooks.
We get them thru Amazon's service. I bought something a while ago that gave me a dozen or so credits for about that. She listens to big long books (like Game of Thrones stuff), so it takes a loooong time to get thru them.

I will have to check my county library to see if they have something like that. How do you 'borrow' them? How do they keep you from making a copy and keeping it?

RUSF18 said:
2.5 miles as the crow flies.

About a 5 min walk to the bus, 15 min ride into the city, then a 12 or so minute walk to the office. Add in a few mins here or there for waiting/getting in and out of Port Authority and it's between 35-40 mins. 
That's fantastic. Where are you again? And what times are you commuting?

I have no idea how some of you guys can deal with a commute like this. Can't you move closer to your job?
Agreed.  I would absolutely dread Monday mornings if I had an Otis like experience for a fricken hour plus drive just to get to work.

We get them thru Amazon's service. I bought something a while ago that gave me a dozen or so credits for about that. She listens to big long books (like Game of Thrones stuff), so it takes a loooong time to get thru them.

I will have to check my county library to see if they have something like that. How do you 'borrow' them? How do they keep you from making a copy and keeping it?
Get the Overdrive or Libby app which is supposed to eventually replace it. See if your local library is on the list in the app. I'm surprised someone charges for a library card. Download an audiobook to your phone and it expires after a couple weeks. You can renew, not sure if you go to the back of the line if it's a popular title.

5 minutes drive to the train

60 minutes on train 

10 minute walk to office

same on the flip. 

And I hate every minute of it. Thank god I only do it twice a week. 

About 20 minutes to the train station if traffic is light and I hit the lights right, anywhere from 5~20 minutes walking from the parking lot to the platform and then waiting for the next train, 30 minutes on the train, another ~10 walking to my building. So about 1:05~1:20 one way total. Going home is about the same in reverse except for days like yesterday when I just missed the 5:30 and inexplicably the damn 5:45pm and 6:00pm trains never showed up.

Train ride is the only thing that makes it bearable, can read, listen to music, play on my phone whatever. Driving the whole way would be longer due to horrible traffic and much worse for my sanity. I get a ton of PTO and my Boss lets me work from home occasionally too, so that helps balance it out as well.

Mine is about 40 minutes each way (about 25 miles).

It goes up a good 10 minutes or so based on school season and when the snowbirds return to clog up the roads (Sept through April).

Otis said:
1:15-1:30 each way. And it can be brutal. 

I walk to the Long Island Railroad station near my house. Figure a 6 minute walk, though usually I leave 10-15 minutes beforehand to be safe. 

Then I get on the train for 40-45 minutes. I always get a seat in the morning. On a good day a fat person doesn’t sit next to me. I can spread out and be comfortable. It’s on those good days, with the nice weather, that it’s not so bad. 

From here I finally get into Penn Station, walk out up the street, fight through a crowd, and get to the subway. Two stops and I’m in my building. 

The good days are OK. The bad days are absolutely horrible. This week a goo example. Trains delayed. 90+ degree temps and near 100 % humidity. I’m wearing a suit. Sweating by the time I even get to the train platform. The trains are delayed due to some amtrak bulls hit in penn station. Because they’re complete ducking idiots. Then they terminate the train on a lark at Jamaica station in queens (halfway to NYC Penn station). So now I and 5,000 other commuters on the platform need to find a connection to NYC. I find one, no seat, so I stand the last 20 minutes.  Ok. Get to Penn and it’s mobbed with people. Hard to even work or fight through the crowd. In these moments I think to myself “if I’m ducking al quaeda, Jesus, this is where I’m striking with some kind of bomb or vest, and hundreds of people are ####ed.”  

Then I finally get above ground. I’m pouring sweat again in the heat outside. But it gets worse because now I descent to the subway. In the summer it’s literal hell. 100+ degrees and 100% humidity. Just sweat through your suit as you stand on the platform waiting. Oh finally here comes the subway.

its packed but you manage to wedge in between two fat bastards. Oops. The car you lucked into has broken AC. You thought you were sweating already?  You didn’t know sweating. Now you’re pouring. It’s barely 9am and you already feel like ####.  You get off the subway and walk up to your office. Horrible swamp ### already, sweaty all over, and you just started your day.  It’s all downhill from here. 

30mins later you’ve been in your office long enough that the profuse sweating has stopped.  That’s something. 

Then you repeat it all again in your evening commute. It doesn’t get much better and in some ways it gets worse. 

I make a ####load of money. It isn’t worth it. One day I’ll switch to a regular type job way the hell outside of NYC. 
Damn dude that sounds so freaking terrible. Just being on a train everyday for an hour and half sounds awful, and throw in all that other crap and people.  The money must be awesome

Agreed.  I would absolutely dread Monday mornings if I had an Otis like experience for a fricken hour plus drive just to get to work.
Technically I'm on the commuter railroad for about 45 mins on average.  Usually an express train in the morning, so just a couple stops till I'm in Manhattan.  And if it's not overcrowded, it can be perfectly fine.  I have my iPad so I do work and get in a solid 45 mins there, I listen to music while I'm working, etc.  Lawyers can make great use of "down time," and it can be every bit as productive as time in the office, if not more so.  If the weather is nice, so that the walk to the train, the walk between trains and to the subway etc. isn't bad, it's really not an awful commute.  Long, but not awful.  And I'd say it's a very typical commute for people working in Manhattan.

The catch is in the dead of winter (can be kind of crappy) or the dead of summer (downright brutal).  July and August are murder.  Spring and Fall, it's all good.  But weeks like this one?  Let's just say on more than one occasion I've done the math on commuting exclusively by Uber for two months out of the year.  

Technically I'm on the commuter railroad for about 45 mins on average.  Usually an express train in the morning, so just a couple stops till I'm in Manhattan.  And if it's not overcrowded, it can be perfectly fine.  I have my iPad so I do work and get in a solid 45 mins there, I listen to music while I'm working, etc.  Lawyers can make great use of "down time," and it can be every bit as productive as time in the office, if not more so.  If the weather is nice, so that the walk to the train, the walk between trains and to the subway etc. isn't bad, it's really not an awful commute.  Long, but not awful.  And I'd say it's a very typical commute for people working in Manhattan.

The catch is in the dead of winter (can be kind of crappy) or the dead of summer (downright brutal).  July and August are murder.  Spring and Fall, it's all good.  But weeks like this one?  Let's just say on more than one occasion I've done the math on commuting exclusively by Uber for two months out of the year.  
Last project I did on the shore (e Hampton), I had to go once a week for site meetings and supervision. First couple months I'd rent a car and drive out- which meant 5ish hours of no-work time on the drive out and back, and fighting reverse commute traffic getting out of the city onto the LIE. And I like driving.

I started taking the train instead and never looked back. Brought my lap top, drawings and phone and I might as well have been in my office. Of course, the train was empty coming and going. When I started working on a project on the shore in Greenwich, did the same thing. Nice way of commuting if the trains not hellish.

beer 30 said:
I live exactly 4 miles away from where I work...takes me 25-30 minutes to get to work.
This is going to sound very judge-y- but how does it take you 25-30 minutes to go 4 miles in Fort Mill, SC?  Do you bike every day?

Damn dude that sounds so freaking terrible. Just being on a train everyday for an hour and half sounds awful, and throw in all that other crap and people.  The money must be awesome
No ####.

Better be mid 6 figures or more.

I have no idea how some of you guys can deal with a commute like this. Can't you move closer to your job?
This.

During law school I drove 70 miles each way. Thankfully in Kansas that meant about an hour even in "rush" hour. And gas was less than a dollar per gallon, and I drove a Civic. Audio books (including bar prep) made it work. Now, no thanks.

I say we start a GoFund to help Otis get an Uber to and from work everyday.  His commute sounds like hell.

My office isn't even 2 miles from my apartment, but it takes a long time to go anywhere in NYC during rush hour.  My morning commute is about 30-35 minutes, which is about 10-15 minutes of walking, 5 minutes or so waiting for the train in an overcrowded and oven-like subway station (during the summer it's ridiculously hot in the subway stations) and about 10-15 minutes on the train.  It's so crowded on the subway every morning that the 20 minutes or so waiting on the platform and then the train ride is tiring and annoying.  Going home it's quicker because it's not as crowded.  I hate my commute.  I miss working from home.

9 minutes if I get the light, 12 if I don't.  Add in ~5 minutes if dropping off/picking up kid from daycare. 

Wife's is even better - about 25 feet down the hallway.  She has to do a flight of stairs if she wants a second cup of coffee.

12 miles.  15-30 minutes depending on traffic.

I can also walk a mile to the train, ride the train for 17 minutes and walk 1.5 miles to the office.  That takes 40ish minutes and is far more relaxing.  With gas at these levels, I tend to go this route.  Also helps me with blood pressure, weight, stress, etc.  Portland traffic sucks now.  Too many people in too short of time and not enough highway.

I just walk downstairs or upstairs. It works well. Only time I ever hit traffic is if I travel but even then usually not rush hour (early or later) or I’m in an Uber so I don’t care too much. 

Apps like Overdrive and Libby allow borrowing. I use Libby.

Otis said:

I walk to the Long Island Railroad station near my house. Figure a 6 minute walk, though usually I leave 10-15 minutes beforehand to be safe. 

Then I get on the train for 40-45 minutes. I always get a seat in the morning. On a good day a fat person doesn’t sit next to me. I can spread out and be comfortable. It’s on those good days, with the nice weather, that it’s not so bad. 

From here I finally get into Penn Station, walk out up the street, fight through a crowd, and get to the subway. Two stops and I’m in my building. 

The good days are OK. The bad days are absolutely horrible. This week a goo example. Trains delayed. 90+ degree temps and near 100 % humidity. I’m wearing a suit. Sweating by the time I even get to the train platform. The trains are delayed due to some amtrak bulls hit in penn station. Because they’re complete ducking idiots. Then they terminate the train on a lark at Jamaica station in queens (halfway to NYC Penn station). So now I and 5,000 other commuters on the platform need to find a connection to NYC. I find one, no seat, so I stand the last 20 minutes.  Ok. Get to Penn and it’s mobbed with people. Hard to even work or fight through the crowd. In these moments I think to myself “if I’m ducking al quaeda, Jesus, this is where I’m striking with some kind of bomb or vest, and hundreds of people are ####ed.”  

Then I finally get above ground. I’m pouring sweat again in the heat outside. But it gets worse because now I descent to the subway. In the summer it’s literal hell. 100+ degrees and 100% humidity. Just sweat through your suit as you stand on the platform waiting. Oh finally here comes the subway.

its packed but you manage to wedge in between two fat bastards. Oops. The car you lucked into has broken AC. You thought you were sweating already?  You didn’t know sweating. Now you’re pouring. It’s barely 9am and you already feel like ####.  You get off the subway and walk up to your office. Horrible swamp ### already, sweaty all over, and you just started your day.  It’s all downhill from here. 

30mins later you’ve been in your office long enough that the profuse sweating has stopped.  That’s something. 

Then you repeat it all again in your evening commute. It doesn’t get much better and in some ways it gets worse. 

I make a ####load of money. It isn’t worth it. One day I’ll switch to a regular type job way the hell outside of NYC. 
You got that pre-nup squared away, right GB?  :oldunsure:

According to new research by Erica Sandow of Umea University in Sweden, people who commute at least 45 minutes one-way to work are more likely to divorce than people who have shorter daily commutes.

The study, which is published in the British journal “Urban Studies,” analyzed data that tracked millions of Swedes from 1995 to 2005. Sandow focused on people who were married or living with a partner for her research.

I travel about 7 miles each way and takes about an hour each. It’s Chicago so I take the train which has about 15-20 stops. Plus about a 10 minute walk between my office and the train station. My home is only a 1 minute walk to the train station. 

Right now I am a 5min drive to the train and a 45min train ride, if all goes smoothly. 

I am debating on moving into a new home that is further out. Would be a 15 minute drive to train and 55 minute train ride. Not sure if I want that. 

Otis said:

You should hire a car service. Subway is for grunts

On a good day, 11-12 minutes.  Bad day maybe 15-20 minutes if I'm driving during peak rush hour.  8.2-mile drive per Google.

Sometimes I'll ride my bike, 45-50 minutes or so but the path isn't as direct as normal driving.

I travel about 7 miles each way and takes about an hour each. It’s Chicago so I take the train which has about 15-20 stops. Plus about a 10 minute walk between my office and the train station. My home is only a 1 minute walk to the train station. 
Just got back from your wonderful city and am curious how that walk between the train station and your office goes in the dead of winter?

Just got back from your wonderful city and am curious how that walk between the train station and your office goes in the dead of winter?

The winters here are really exaggerated imo.  It's not as cold as some would have you think.  We had 2 really bad (as in cold) winters in a row about 3 years ago (last 3 winters have been mild) but in the 15 years I've lived here, that's really it. There have been some brutal snow winters where we get tons of snow but again, not consistently.  I also prefer cooler weather, so maybe I'm not the best person to ask as I am a bigger guy who can't stand heat and humidity, so I actually welcome the fall and winter months.  There are days, especially when the temps are sub-zero wind chill that can be rough for sure, but in my 15 years here, I've never owned/worn a pair of gloves and those days are not that often imho.

My commute can vary 50% depending on external factors.  6 minutes if I don't catch the light red, 9 if I do.  Those days I catch the light are hell.

How long would it take you to bike that 7 miles?

How long would it take you to bike that 7 miles?
What do you get when you cross a rhinoceros with an elephant?

Elephino (hell if I know)!

I’m not a biker and with the potholes in this city I would never bike that. Plenty of people do though. 

My office isn't even 2 miles from my apartment, but it takes a long time to go anywhere in NYC during rush hour.  My morning commute is about 30-35 minutes, which is about 10-15 minutes of walking, 5 minutes or so waiting for the train in an overcrowded and oven-like subway station (during the summer it's ridiculously hot in the subway stations) and about 10-15 minutes on the train.  It's so crowded on the subway every morning that the 20 minutes or so waiting on the platform and then the train ride is tiring and annoying.  Going home it's quicker because it's not as crowded.  I hate my commute.  I miss working from home.
At a  nice comfortable walking speed of 3 mph it would only take 40 minutes to walk the whole way.  Not sure I'd even bother with the train.

Users who are viewing this thread