What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What is your commute like? (1 Viewer)

What is your commute in the evening?

• 0-5 minutes

Votes: 33 15.3%
  • 5-10 minutes

Votes: 22 10.2%
  • 10-30 minutes

Votes: 65 30.2%
  • 30-60 minutes

Votes: 67 31.2%
  • 6o minutes plus?

Votes: 28 13.0%

• Total voters
What do you get when you cross a rhinoceros with an elephant?

Elephino (hell if I know)!

I’m not a biker and with the potholes in this city I would never bike that. Plenty of people do though. 

Fwiw, my commute is 1.5m- takes me 11 minutes on bike through NYC streets.
The reason I ask is because I know it's obviously going to be different biking 7 miles in Chicago than it would be in wide open Colorado.  To go 7 miles would take me about 15 minutes on bike paths.  Just curious what the difference is when you're surrounded by cars and have to obey traffic rules.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fwiw, my commute is 1.5m- takes me 11 minutes on bike through NYC streets.
A friend of mine got a $250 ticket for going the wrong way down a one way street on a bike.  He's a friend so I sympathize, but as someone who has been hit by bike riders before and have seen way too many #######s riding around without regard to anyone, I'm glad the ticket was so harsh.  I recognize the value of promoting bikes in NYC, so it's a shame that so many people riding them are more of a menace to pedestrians than cars.

I have no idea how some of you guys can deal with a commute like this. Can't you move closer to your job?
In my experience commuting via mass transit is actually kind of enjoyable most of the time. I start and end my day with a pleasant 5 minute walk through the neighborhood between my house and the station. Then there's a 25 minute train ride, usually sitting down, when I relax and listen to a podcast or music or read a book or play games or watch a show I'm binging or covertly ogle the women in my train car.  Basically what I'd do at home during down time, except on a smaller screen and I get to check out strangers' boobs instead of my wife's. It sucks if the train is overcrowded or malfunctioning, but that only happens maybe 10% of the time.

A friend of mine got a $250 ticket for going the wrong way down a one way street on a bike.  He's a friend so I sympathize, but as someone who has been hit by bike riders before and have seen way too many #######s riding around without regard to anyone, I'm glad the ticket was so harsh.  I recognize the value of promoting bikes in NYC, so it's a shame that so many people riding them are more of a menace to pedestrians than cars.
I'm sure he's nice, but #### that guy. I've been riding and commuting by bike in the city for about 25 years. Wrong way riding is the most dangerous thing to do in the city on a bike.

The reason I ask is because I know it's obviously going to be different biking 7 miles in Chicago than it would be in wide open Colorado.  To go 7 miles would take me about 15 minutes on bike paths.  Just curious what the difference is when you're surrounded by cars and have to obey traffic rules.
Yeah- open road CO riding this ain't. But I'm also on a bike share citibike which maxes out around 12-15mph... And only if you're prepared to spin 100+ rpms.

37 miles one way through Atlanta traffic.  Average total commute is 2.5-3.0 hours.  I started taking the bus so I could do something other than drive during that time.

Otis said:
1:15-1:30 each way. And it can be brutal. 

I walk to the Long Island Railroad station near my house. Figure a 6 minute walk, though usually I leave 10-15 minutes beforehand to be safe. 

Then I get on the train for 40-45 minutes. I always get a seat in the morning. On a good day a fat person doesn’t sit next to me. I can spread out and be comfortable. It’s on those good days, with the nice weather, that it’s not so bad. 

From here I finally get into Penn Station, walk out up the street, fight through a crowd, and get to the subway. Two stops and I’m in my building. 

The good days are OK. The bad days are absolutely horrible. This week a goo example. Trains delayed. 90+ degree temps and near 100 % humidity. I’m wearing a suit. Sweating by the time I even get to the train platform. The trains are delayed due to some amtrak bulls hit in penn station. Because they’re complete ducking idiots. Then they terminate the train on a lark at Jamaica station in queens (halfway to NYC Penn station). So now I and 5,000 other commuters on the platform need to find a connection to NYC. I find one, no seat, so I stand the last 20 minutes.  Ok. Get to Penn and it’s mobbed with people. Hard to even work or fight through the crowd. In these moments I think to myself “if I’m ducking al quaeda, Jesus, this is where I’m striking with some kind of bomb or vest, and hundreds of people are ####ed.”  

Then I finally get above ground. I’m pouring sweat again in the heat outside. But it gets worse because now I descent to the subway. In the summer it’s literal hell. 100+ degrees and 100% humidity. Just sweat through your suit as you stand on the platform waiting. Oh finally here comes the subway.

its packed but you manage to wedge in between two fat bastards. Oops. The car you lucked into has broken AC. You thought you were sweating already?  You didn’t know sweating. Now you’re pouring. It’s barely 9am and you already feel like ####.  You get off the subway and walk up to your office. Horrible swamp ### already, sweaty all over, and you just started your day.  It’s all downhill from here. 

30mins later you’ve been in your office long enough that the profuse sweating has stopped.  That’s something. 

Then you repeat it all again in your evening commute. It doesn’t get much better and in some ways it gets worse. 

I make a ####load of money. It isn’t worth it. One day I’ll switch to a regular type job way the hell outside of NYC. 
Ok, this sounds worse but I’m guessing you make 2-3 times what I make.  

My office isn't even 2 miles from my apartment, but it takes a long time to go anywhere in NYC during rush hour.  My morning commute is about 30-35 minutes, which is about 10-15 minutes of walking, 5 minutes or so waiting for the train in an overcrowded and oven-like subway station (during the summer it's ridiculously hot in the subway stations) and about 10-15 minutes on the train.  It's so crowded on the subway every morning that the 20 minutes or so waiting on the platform and then the train ride is tiring and annoying.  Going home it's quicker because it's not as crowded.  I hate my commute.  I miss working from home.
Can you not walk the full thing?

Holy crap I thought I was a jackass for my 40 minute commute.  I've been trying to convince the wife to move from almost the get go.  We will move closer to my work eventually or I'll get divorced.  I'm cool with either option. 

Can you not walk the full thing?
There would have to be some swimming involved too.  The funny thing is that this commute is a big improvement from what I had to do for my previous job.  That one required the same as my current job, plus taking another subway line.  I did sometimes walk from where the first train lets me off instead of waiting on another overcrowded subway platform, but during the summer in NYC it's really hot and humid and the walk was about 25 minutes at a brisk pace.  It was usually better to just get there as quickly as possible, which means dealing with the subway.

I cycle to work. 30 minutes each way. 
Super jealous. I rode to work for about a decade, then 2 years ago took a job about 10 miles away, which is certainly doable, but all routes that don't add an extra 20 mins take me through some very unsavory neighborhoods (literally places where The Wire was filmed) and cyclists have been knocked of their bikes and had them stolen during daylight hours. So I have not yet rode all the way to work yet. In fact I've barely ridden at all in the last 2 years, putting on about 10 pounds as a result. :kicksrock:

37 miles one way through Atlanta traffic.  Average total commute is 2.5-3.0 hours.  I started taking the bus so I could do something other than drive during that time.
What in the hell?  You spend 1 1/2 hours each way?  No options to get closer?  Again, divorcing the wife may not be the worst option in the world...

I've worked from home for the last 3 years, so zero.
But, the 28 years prior to that it was 12 miles one way each day.  It got progressively worse over time, and for the last several years was about 45 minutes going in and 60-90 coming home.

Otis said:
1:15-1:30 each way. And it can be brutal. 

I walk to the Long Island Railroad station near my house. Figure a 6 minute walk, though usually I leave 10-15 minutes beforehand to be safe. 

Then I get on the train for 40-45 minutes. I always get a seat in the morning. On a good day a fat person doesn’t sit next to me. I can spread out and be comfortable. It’s on those good days, with the nice weather, that it’s not so bad. 

From here I finally get into Penn Station, walk out up the street, fight through a crowd, and get to the subway. Two stops and I’m in my building. 

The good days are OK. The bad days are absolutely horrible. This week a goo example. Trains delayed. 90+ degree temps and near 100 % humidity. I’m wearing a suit. Sweating by the time I even get to the train platform. The trains are delayed due to some amtrak bulls hit in penn station. Because they’re complete ducking idiots. Then they terminate the train on a lark at Jamaica station in queens (halfway to NYC Penn station). So now I and 5,000 other commuters on the platform need to find a connection to NYC. I find one, no seat, so I stand the last 20 minutes.  Ok. Get to Penn and it’s mobbed with people. Hard to even work or fight through the crowd. In these moments I think to myself “if I’m ducking al quaeda, Jesus, this is where I’m striking with some kind of bomb or vest, and hundreds of people are ####ed.”  

Then I finally get above ground. I’m pouring sweat again in the heat outside. But it gets worse because now I descent to the subway. In the summer it’s literal hell. 100+ degrees and 100% humidity. Just sweat through your suit as you stand on the platform waiting. Oh finally here comes the subway.

its packed but you manage to wedge in between two fat bastards. Oops. The car you lucked into has broken AC. You thought you were sweating already?  You didn’t know sweating. Now you’re pouring. It’s barely 9am and you already feel like ####.  You get off the subway and walk up to your office. Horrible swamp ### already, sweaty all over, and you just started your day.  It’s all downhill from here. 

30mins later you’ve been in your office long enough that the profuse sweating has stopped.  That’s something. 

Then you repeat it all again in your evening commute. It doesn’t get much better and in some ways it gets worse. 

I make a ####load of money. It isn’t worth it. One day I’ll switch to a regular type job way the hell outside of NYC. 
This gaveme a good chuckle. I don’t have it quite that bad here in Chicago but it can get close. I’m a husky fellow so sweating in the summer in suit clothes is a familiar theme. Luckily I ride the El(evated) train so I’m not underground but when it’s 98/98 (temperature/humidity) there is no such thing as a breeze. 

What in the hell?  You spend 1 1/2 hours each way?  No options to get closer?  Again, divorcing the wife may not be the worst option in the world
Yeah, I just don't understand this. Three friggin hours a day? It is simply not an option.

Live in NJ, work in NYC.  Walk to the bus stop.  Wait for the bus.  Ride the bus.  Walk to the subway.  Wait for the subway.  Ride the subway.  Walk to the office. 

The bus ride itself is ~55 minutes, depending on traffic.  All of the rest of the steps aren’t usually substantial individually, but they all generally add up to another hour.   When everything breaks just right I might make it in closer to 90 minutes but it’s usually about 2 hours from door to door. 

The upshot is I make pretty good money, and I love my job.  Wouldn’t do it if either of those conditions wasn’t met.  

No ####### way I would slog my sweaty ### in a suit through rush hour commuting in NYC or CHI or whatever. Can't you fat bastards get a gym membership close to work and change there? Or something? Sounds so damn terrible to get swamp ### first thing in the morning 

Seriously. You 4 hour commute guys, are you leaving at 600 AM and not getting home until well after 600 PM?
These days I usually leave around 7 am and get home around 6 pm.  My hours are flexible though, I can mostly come in whenever and leave whenever, and can also work from home whenever.  I used to work from home most of the time; a year ago I took a new role which requires me to be in the office most days but it's still very flexible.  Can also wear whatever to work so in the summer it's shorts and t-shirts.  I don't envy the guys who have to get dressed up and do the commute. 

the moops said:
No ####### way I would slog my sweaty ### in a suit through rush hour commuting in NYC or CHI or whatever. Can't you fat bastards get a gym membership close to work and change there? Or something? Sounds so damn terrible to get swamp ### first thing in the morning 
Oh it is so damn terrible. Believe me. This week was brutal. Today I went no jacket and tie, and of course the humidity was way down and it was beautiful. Only sweated briefly on the subway platform at one point. Huge win.

I actually go to the gym at home at 5am these days.  Have a pretty tight morning routine doing that and then getting breakfast ready for the kids etc.  

the moops said:
Seriously. You 4 hour commute guys, are you leaving at 600 AM and not getting home until well after 600 PM?
I'm a 5-10 minutes commute guy, and my hours are about the same. 

3 days a week - commute to Plant A.  43 miles each way, all highway, takes right at 45 minutes no matter the time of day unless there's a big wreck on the highway or something rare happens.  Typically leave home by 7am and get home at 5pm. 

1 day a week - commute to Plant B.  112 miles each way, takes about 1.5 hours every single time with a combination of interstate/rural highway/city driving.  That 1.5 hours might stretch to 2 hours if I leave between 4:30 and 5:30 to head home, but usually I leave before 4:00.  Typically leave the house at 7am and get home by 5:30. 

1 day a week - commute to Plant C.  202 miles each way, all interstate, typically takes right at 3 hours in the morning and between 3 (if I leave by 3:00) and 4.5 (if I don't) hours in the evening.  Leave home by 6am and get home around 6pm. 

I have a company provided vehicle, all gas and vehicle maintenance is paid for, and it's expected that driving/travel time is part of my ~40 hours per week.  I honestly don't mind the driving, usually I use that time to call family/friends on the phone, listen to podcasts, books on tape, schedule all my "call and check on insurance/credit card/cable bill/prescription refills/etc. life stuff" during that time. 

I worked at a place for a few months last summer where the commute had me on the road for about 45-60 minutes each way.  I also drove a good bit all over SoCal.  I actually miss driving around now.  Got to just chill, listen to sports talk radio....

I’m fascinated by the runners on the outbound commute. Get to the stop, door opens and about 20% of the people that are getting off are sprinting to their car like there’s a prize waiting for them on the passenger seat. And the majority of the runners always seem like that’s the closest they’ll come to exercising this week. 

Mine is due to schools.  The public schools where we are rock.  I started the job this week, and I have already approached the subject of moving and private school.

Left from Spring and Hudson at 4:05. Granted, took nearly 20 mins for the Uber to arrive, but pulled up to Terminal 2 at JFK at 5:50.  So 1:25 in the Uber. 

Walked down 7th this morning and had a view of the steam down 23rd.  Quite a gusher. 
Did you soak up all that good steamy asbestos juice?

The steam pipe explosion created an apparent #### storm door NYC car commuters... For whom I have zero sympathy.
Not sure why they closed my street since there was no sign of the explosion as far as I could tell.  We are a few blocks away, but it was great not having any traffic at all today.

Damn. Thoughts and prayers, GBs. I'm at under 5 mins by car and 15ish on foot.

You'd probably have to double my salary for 30 minutes in a car. I did an hour commute for a couple of months when I first got out of school. It'd probably take a seven figure salary and unlimited ladies of the night for me to do that now, and I'd quit in a year.

Oh it is so damn terrible. Believe me. This week was brutal. Today I went no jacket and tie, and of course the humidity was way down and it was beautiful. Only sweated briefly on the subway platform at one point. Huge win.

I actually go to the gym at home at 5am these days.  Have a pretty tight morning routine doing that and then getting breakfast ready for the kids etc.  
No freaking way. How much do you sleep? You get up at 5am, work all day in a high stress job until I assume late in the day, and commute forever home? I'd have to be in bed as soon as I walked in the door.

No freaking way. How much do you sleep? You get up at 5am, work all day in a high stress job until I assume late in the day, and commute forever home? I'd have to be in bed as soon as I walked in the door.
I lied a little. I only go 3-4 days per week. And I set the alarm for 4:45am. I’m usually in bed by 10 or 10:30 at the very latest.  I’m usually home by anywhere between 6:30-8; but then I usually do some more work/take evening calls with clients in Asia after that. Also usually work a few hours on weekends. 

What in the hell?  You spend 1 1/2 hours each way?  No options to get closer?  Again, divorcing the wife may not be the worst option in the world...
I’d quit and find a new job before I’d move inside the perimeter.  The cost and location just not appealing to me.  The “good” part of my current commute is 75-80% of it is on the bus.  Really nice commuter express buses that go from the burbs to downtown.  I can sleep, read, watch Netflix, work (bus has WiFi).  That part isn’t too bad - it’s just so time consuming that it can be draining.

I’d quit and find a new job before I’d move inside the perimeter.  The cost and location just not appealing to me.  The “good” part of my current commute is 75-80% of it is on the bus.  Really nice commuter express buses that go from the burbs to downtown.  I can sleep, read, watch Netflix, work (bus has WiFi).  That part isn’t too bad - it’s just so time consuming that it can be draining.
I bet it's draining.  What field are you in?

I bet it's draining.  What field are you in?
IT - data and analytics. Most of the jobs will be inside the perimeter and with the express bus it’s almost better to work all the way downtown than to be closer but somewhere I would have to drive.  Another good thing about my job is the hours are fairly flexible.  Lots of meeting but I’m able to come in a little later or leave a little early to avoid some traffic some days and I do telecommute 1 day a week.

My commute is pretty normal: suburb living driving into town. Thankfully I work on the same side of the city where I live, but my commute keeps getting worse as more people move here and move north of me and clog the roads.

My commute is less stressful because of the time, but getting higher because of the increased traffic and horrible driving of fellow commuters. 

Users who are viewing this thread