What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What kind of beer is everyone drinking tonight? (6 Viewers)

First tap list for Civil Society's anniversary party has been released...wow.

Civil Society Brewing Co.

• Fresh
  • Blondes Make Me Hoppy w/ Mosaic
  • Southern Exposure
  • Jupiter Rising
  • Emerald Showers
  • Juice
  • Pulp
  • DDH Fresh
  • Fresh To Death (Fresh dry hopped with Vic Secret, Mosaic and Citra)
  • Extra Pulp
  • Seventh Wonder (aka Subject Seven)
  • 1st Anniversary DIPA
  • Blondes Make Me Hoppy w/ Coffee
  • Fresh w/treatments
  • Barrel Aged Intelligent Design w/Treatment
  • Southern Exposure w/Treatments
  • DDH Southern Exposure
  • Gary Meets A Basic Boo
  • Prince Gary Goes Nuts
  • Prince Gary Goes Bananas
  • Prince Gary Loves The Coco
  • Mera Dost: Rum Barrel Aged Imperial Stout w/ Coconut & Curry

Aslin Beer Company

• Mind The Hop w/Passion Fruit and Vanilla
  • Berliner Weisse with Peach & Cinnamon

Finback Brewery

• Cell – 7.5% IPA w/ Citra
  • A Thousand Years – 10.3% Imperial Stout

Other Half Brewing

• Space Diamonds – 8.5% Imperail single hop Galaxy IPA
  • Like Whoa! – 8% Collab with Trillium hopped with Motueka, Wai-iti, Galaxy, Topaz, Citra and Citra Lupulin powder

The Answer Brewpub

• Triple Dry Hopped Hard In The Paint
  • Triple Dry Hopped Mouth Hug

Ocelot Brewing Company

• Barrel aged My Only Friend ( Russian Imperial Stout aged in Heaven Hill barrels) 10.5% ABV
  • Lonely People (IPA with all Nelson Sauvin Hops)

Night Shift Brewing

• Whirpool
  • Santilli

Southern Grist Brewing Company

• [Insert Juicy Pun] DIPA
  • Passion Fruit Black-Berry Hill

Triple Crossing

• Falcon Smash IPA
  • Clever Girl IPA

Begyle Brewing Company

TBD

Funky Buddha Brewery

• Veruca Snozzberry Gose – 5.2%
  • Butta’ Cup – 8.8% Peanut Butter Cup Double Brown Ale

Cigar City Brewing

• Hunahpu’s
  • Black Current Grove

J Wakefield Brewing

• TBD

Tequesta Brewing Company

• Udderly Delicious
  • Oh My Gourd Pumpkin
  • Huell Red IPA

Twisted Trunk Brewing

• Ramble On – Foudre Aged Imperial Honey Rye Chocolate Porter
  • K.I.S.S. – American Double IPA

MIA Brewing Co.

• Neon – White IPA
  • Encanto De Amore – Raspberry & Passion Fruit Berliner

Copperpoint Brewing Co.

• Key Lime IPA
  • Barrel Aged Cox Diesel Imperial Porter
  • Cold Brew Coffee Lager

Cycle Brewing

• Third Annviersary Barrel Aged Stout with Jamaican Blue Mountain Coffee 10%
  • El Dorado Dry Hopped IPA

Angry Chair Brewing

• Rocky Road Imperial Stout
  • TBD

7venth Sun Brewing

• Intergalactic (Pale Ale w/ Galaxy)
  • Foedre’d Together w/ Peaches (Barrel Aged Tart Grisette w/ Peaches)

Barrel Of Monks Brewing

• 2015 Father Christmas
  • Parade of Souls Imperial Stout

3Sons Brewing

• Barrel Aged PB King
  • JBM35

Aardwolf Brewing Company

• Oud Bruin: Sour Belgian Brown conditioned on Cherries in a Foudre for 8 months. ABV 9%
  • Early Bird Special: BA version of our breakfast stout with vanilla, cinnamon and coffee. ABV 9.3%

Sailfish Brewing Company

TBD

Proof Brewing Co.

• Glass Emperor – Imperial Stout
  • Evil Kiss – Guava & Passion Fruit Berliner Weisse

GrassLands Brewing Co.

TBD

Slim Pickens Cider & Mead

TBD

Walking Tree Brewery

• Prop Root English Pale Ale
  • I Got A Guy Hoppy Pale Ale

Saltwater Brewery

TBD

Orchid Island Brewery

• Star Ruby DIPA
    Pink Lemon Drop Sour IPA

Wynwood Brewery

• Rum Barrel Aged Grand Pops Imperial Porter
  • El Barrio Barleywine

Coppertail Brewing Co.

• Guava Pastelitos: Guava, Raspberry, Vanilla Berliner
  • Barrel Aged Chocolate Stout

Due South Brewing Co.

• Mexican Standoff
  • Manuel’s Dojo – Mojito Berliner weisse

Odd Breed Wild Ales

• Biere De Garde
  • Resin On My Thumbs

More details to come.

New small batch dry-hopped stuff from 18th Street hitting tomorrow:

"On sale tomorrow at our Hammond brewpub 11am, the first of our IN THE SHADOWS Small Batch series. We only brewed 15 barrels each of these beers.

The Teddy Bear Picnic- India Pale Ale with Mango:
Packed with over 400lbs of oats (the most we’ve ever used in any of our IPA's) this hoppy 6% IPA rounds out with a nice bit of malt sweetness. We added a touch of Mango puree which comes through beautifully on the nose in front of the 22lbs mix of Citra, Mosaic, and Cascade that we dry hopped it with. 12oz 4pk $13. Limit 2.

DRIP- Double Dry Hopped Double India Pale Ale: 8.4%: is a hoppy, bitter 8.4% West Coast style DIPA. Expect a multitude of complex flavors including pine and deep grapefruit rind, and a very nice resinous mouthfeel. Round 1 of dry hopping was with Mosaic, and Round 2 of dry hopping was with Citra and Cascade. This beer may not be for those who can’t contend w hoppy bitterness- don’t say we didn’t warn you;). 12oz 4pk $14. Limit 2."

Excited about both of these, hopefully they won't run out before I can get up there.

• Smile
Reactions: Neo
All my life I've roamed the earth never understanding what beer I liked, or whether I had a favorite beer.  Usually I was probably too drunk to notice or care.  I knew I didn't like IPA (too bitter, heartburn) and liked the occasional Coors Light like I like drinking a water, but everything else in between was a mix.  I've always liked Brooklyn Lager or SAl Lager.  But it finally has recently hit me.

Brooklyn Brown Ale is my favorite beer.  Second place is Negro Modelo.

A crisp Brooklyn Brown is awesome.  Just the right amount of flavor and heft, but none of the hoppy wheaty beer nerd stuff where you can chew on the sediments.  Brown Ale is like the secret weapon. 

The challenge: I've often bought the Brooklyn mixed cases and drank the 4 Brooklyn Browns in there, maybe enjoyed the lagers, and then I'm left with a bunch of other stuff.  It's like when I was a kid and we'd get the tub of three ice cream flavors and then the strawberry would just sit in there alone until someone threw it out.

My quest tonight: do some hunting to see if I can get Brooklyn Brown by the case. 

Wish me luck.
I check in on this thread occasionally.  Most of the time I see updates on very 'hop forward' beers.  I thought it was pretty cool that you made a post about brown ales.  I actually agree that the Brown Ale is the secret weapon.  I like malty beers.  And there are a lot of other styles out there that are malty.  Some Stouts and Porters, all forms of Belgian in most cases, Barleywine.  But to me, the Stouts and Porters are good, but a little too dark.  The Belgians are awesome, but are usually pretty high in alcohol content and pretty boozy.  Barleywine... see Belgian.  Over the years, I have come to the conclusion that the Brown Ale is a perfect medium for the malty beer selection.  Not too dark, not too strong, but still normally has a good malty flavor profile.  I wanted to give you a list of Brown Ale's that I have tried over the past year or so that I really liked:

Rogue - Hazlenut Brown Nector

DuClaw - Euphor!a

Dogfish Head - Indian Brown Ale

Dogfish Head - Palo Santo Marron

Founders - Sumatra Mountain

Founders - Frangelic Mountain

Abita - Amber

Gordon Biersch - Marzen

Appalachain Brewing Company - Maple Brown Ale

Starr Hill - Last Leaf Maple Brown

A few notes on this list.  The Palo Santo Marron is very strong so it does not fit the earlier description I made of being lesser in alcohol content.  It is very dark too, but it is a brown and is very tasty.  I have never had the Frangelic Mountain and have never seen it in stores in my area.  I always check for it but never see it!  I heard about it from friends that actually visited Founders.  Since I have had the Sumatra Mountain, the description of the Frangelic sounded very tasty so I think I would like it which is why I included it on my list.  Overall, I think the Rogue is the best all around brown and should be relatively easy to find.  The Appalachain Brewing Company is local to Central PA so I don't know if it is available much further outside of this region.  I just visited New Orleans and I was very impressed by Abita Amber.  Technically I guess it isn't a Brown but I feel it fits a similar flavor profile.  Gordon Biersch is a brewery I also ran into in New Orleans.  I don't believe they sell beer outside their bar / restaurants, but they are a chain so you may be able to find one nearby.

One last note... I was absolutely floored at how much I like Sam Adams Octoberfest and I feel it fits the brown ale flavor profile as well.  I've never liked very many Sam Adams products, and have pretty much steered clear of them most of my life.  I was amazed at how much I liked the Octoberfest.  I tried a lot of other brand's Octoberfests and didn't like many of them.  Most of them had more of a hop finish.  The Sam Adams is pretty much roasty and malty the whole way through.  There were some others that I liked, but none as much as the SA... I know, go figure.  I was surprised.

Anyway, I am becoming more a fan of Browns than ever and when I saw your post I thought I might be able to steer you in the right direction for some beers to try.  Cheers!

I check in on this thread occasionally.  Most of the time I see updates on very 'hop forward' beers.  I thought it was pretty cool that you made a post about brown ales.  I actually agree that the Brown Ale is the secret weapon.  I like malty beers.  And there are a lot of other styles out there that are malty.  Some Stouts and Porters, all forms of Belgian in most cases, Barleywine.  But to me, the Stouts and Porters are good, but a little too dark.  The Belgians are awesome, but are usually pretty high in alcohol content and pretty boozy.  Barleywine... see Belgian.  Over the years, I have come to the conclusion that the Brown Ale is a perfect medium for the malty beer selection.  Not too dark, not too strong, but still normally has a good malty flavor profile.  I wanted to give you a list of Brown Ale's that I have tried over the past year or so that I really liked:

Rogue - Hazlenut Brown Nector

DuClaw - Euphor!a

Dogfish Head - Indian Brown Ale

Dogfish Head - Palo Santo Marron

Founders - Sumatra Mountain

Founders - Frangelic Mountain

Abita - Amber

Gordon Biersch - Marzen

Appalachain Brewing Company - Maple Brown Ale

Starr Hill - Last Leaf Maple Brown

A few notes on this list.  The Palo Santo Marron is very strong so it does not fit the earlier description I made of being lesser in alcohol content.  It is very dark too, but it is a brown and is very tasty.  I have never had the Frangelic Mountain and have never seen it in stores in my area.  I always check for it but never see it!  I heard about it from friends that actually visited Founders.  Since I have had the Sumatra Mountain, the description of the Frangelic sounded very tasty so I think I would like it which is why I included it on my list.  Overall, I think the Rogue is the best all around brown and should be relatively easy to find.  The Appalachain Brewing Company is local to Central PA so I don't know if it is available much further outside of this region.  I just visited New Orleans and I was very impressed by Abita Amber.  Technically I guess it isn't a Brown but I feel it fits a similar flavor profile.  Gordon Biersch is a brewery I also ran into in New Orleans.  I don't believe they sell beer outside their bar / restaurants, but they are a chain so you may be able to find one nearby.

One last note... I was absolutely floored at how much I like Sam Adams Octoberfest and I feel it fits the brown ale flavor profile as well.  I've never liked very many Sam Adams products, and have pretty much steered clear of them most of my life.  I was amazed at how much I liked the Octoberfest.  I tried a lot of other brand's Octoberfests and didn't like many of them.  Most of them had more of a hop finish.  The Sam Adams is pretty much roasty and malty the whole way through.  There were some others that I liked, but none as much as the SA... I know, go figure.  I was surprised.

Anyway, I am becoming more a fan of Browns than ever and when I saw your post I thought I might be able to steer you in the right direction for some beers to try.  Cheers!
Thanks, this is awesome.  

On that note, beer advocate is a great place to browse around and get ideas for new stuff to try. Their list of best American Brown Ales:

https://www.beeradvocate.com/lists/style/73/
Yes!  I am 99% sure I looked at this list when I went on my brown ale kick.  Unfortunately a lot of the breweries and beer were not available in my area but I was able to find some that were.  I am pretty sure this list was responsible for me finding (or at least keeping an eye out for) both of the Dogfish Head browns and the Founders Sumatra.  I also thought of another favorite brown after I made my initial post:

Free Will - C. O. B. (Coffee Oatmeal Brown)

I first tried this at a brew pub in my area, and later bought a 12 pack of it.  Very tasty.

I must have got a bad batch of the DFH Indian Brown because mine was undrinkable - cloying sweet - tasted like something I had brewed. I like brown ale, but obviously its a very wide-ranging style, with abv's from 4-10, some very hoppy, some with coffee or barrel-aged, and its a very small step to the english porters and from there the American porters. I regularly buy Bell's Brown, Fat Squirrel, Tumbler and a few others.

Anyone on here using untappd app to track their beers? 

There are a few..I'm on there but admittedly don't use it nearly as much anymore. Hawks64 is my username
Im on there too but have slowed down as well. username steve33909

Ive plowed through a case of Born Yesterday in the last week and just picked up 2 more 6 packs. Cant get enough of it. Its easily the best widely distributed Pale Ale/IPA around.

New small batch dry-hopped stuff from 18th Street hitting tomorrow:

"On sale tomorrow at our Hammond brewpub 11am, the first of our IN THE SHADOWS Small Batch series. We only brewed 15 barrels each of these beers.

The Teddy Bear Picnic- India Pale Ale with Mango:
Packed with over 400lbs of oats (the most we’ve ever used in any of our IPA's) this hoppy 6% IPA rounds out with a nice bit of malt sweetness. We added a touch of Mango puree which comes through beautifully on the nose in front of the 22lbs mix of Citra, Mosaic, and Cascade that we dry hopped it with. 12oz 4pk $13. Limit 2.

DRIP- Double Dry Hopped Double India Pale Ale: 8.4%: is a hoppy, bitter 8.4% West Coast style DIPA. Expect a multitude of complex flavors including pine and deep grapefruit rind, and a very nice resinous mouthfeel. Round 1 of dry hopping was with Mosaic, and Round 2 of dry hopping was with Citra and Cascade. This beer may not be for those who can’t contend w hoppy bitterness- don’t say we didn’t warn you;). 12oz 4pk $14. Limit 2."

Excited about both of these, hopefully they won't run out before I can get up there.
Both of these beers are spectacular -- @Hawks64, @ditka311 genuinely worth the drive over IMO.

The Teddy Bear Picnic is a total NE-style juice bomb -- hazy, tropical, citrusy. The mouthfeel isn't quite as soft, and the bitterness is a touch more prevalent (probably due to the Cascade), but overall if I didn't know better, you could have told me that this beer came from Trillium, Treehouse, or Bissel and I wouldn't bat an eye. Just fantastic.

Drip is more of a typical 18th Street offering -- bitter, piney, dank, and citrusy. Crushable as hell for > 8%. The mosaic really shines in this one much more than the citra. I'd need to do a side-by-side to be sure, but this is as good or better than Undercrown, which has long been my favorite Midwestern IPA.

Also grabbed more of The Sour Peach -- sour rye saison oak-fermented with Brett on Michigan peaches. Also just an awesome beer.

And I'll be drinking my last few Born Yesterday I'm sure -- need to go grab more before it's gone.

Both of these beers are spectacular -- @Hawks64, @ditka311 genuinely worth the drive over IMO.

The Teddy Bear Picnic is a total NE-style juice bomb -- hazy, tropical, citrusy. The mouthfeel isn't quite as soft, and the bitterness is a touch more prevalent (probably due to the Cascade), but overall if I didn't know better, you could have told me that this beer came from Trillium, Treehouse, or Bissel and I wouldn't bat an eye. Just fantastic.

Drip is more of a typical 18th Street offering -- bitter, piney, dank, and citrusy. Crushable as hell for > 8%. The mosaic really shines in this one much more than the citra. I'd need to do a side-by-side to be sure, but this is as good or better than Undercrown, which has long been my favorite Midwestern IPA.

Also grabbed more of The Sour Peach -- sour rye saison oak-fermented with Brett on Michigan peaches. Also just an awesome beer.

And I'll be drinking my last few Born Yesterday I'm sure -- need to go grab more before it's gone.
That is a helluva drive for me, without traffic it's over an hour....which is something that happens at 2am only.

My boss was out in SoCal for Adobe MAX last week, and I came in to work this morning and found some Pliny on my desk -- not a bad way at all to start a Monday morning!

Decided to take the night off to watch the election results at the last minute...ran to the grocery store to grab some Jai Alai...sold out. Had to go with Sierra Nevada Torpedo. Its not bad but it was bottled in September. Meh.

Added you guys to tappd to follow except you wingnut couldn't find steve33909. 

Had a Crooked Stave L'Brett d'Or last night.  Fantastic beer.  

Made a run at lunch for more Born Yesterday, also grabbed a sixer of Citra Express and a 750ml of Prairie-Vous Francais (not my favorite of theirs, but it was on sale for $3.99).

Have a Woot Stout chilling in the fridge. Damn good beer especially since the guy is selling them to me for 6.99 each. 

Thinking Blood of the Sunsets might be in the rotation tonight too. 

You're in the process of uploading the tap list, right?
That would take hours. Place was insane, had some great beer but to me not worth the insane crowd. You can't move well, you get your beer and there is no where to drink it. It was so loud you couldn't hardly talk to anyone so a huge part of what a beer fest is for me was missing. The ability to talk about beer with other beer :nerd: I will likely not go back next year. I'll put together the list of what I had a bit later but I think my favorite of the night was Mind #### or Inigo Montoya with Hazelnut.

That would take hours. Place was insane, had some great beer but to me not worth the insane crowd. You can't move well, you get your beer and there is no where to drink it. It was so loud you couldn't hardly talk to anyone so a huge part of what a beer fest is for me was missing. The ability to talk about beer with other beer :nerd: I will likely not go back next year. I'll put together the list of what I had a bit later but I think my favorite of the night was Mind #### or Inigo Montoya with Hazelnut.
That sucks GB. I can't stand being wedged in a huge crowd either.

I'd get there at least an hour early. The line last night was about 20 minutes long to get in once they opened the doors at 5:50.
Getting into the city at 11:30  and will grab lunch.  I am not in a rush ...we have 4 hrs.

I saw pictures of the place last night and it looked as you described.  Which sucks.

That sucks GB. I can't stand being wedged in a huge crowd either.

Getting into the city at 11:30  and will grab lunch.  I am not in a rush ...we have 4 hrs.

I saw pictures of the place last night and it looked as you described.  Which sucks.
Yeah I had really high hopes but to me it's just not worth trying to wedge your way through to get a beer and then trying to not spill it everywhere while you find a place to drink it. Rinse and repeat. Hopefully ditka will have a better experience today :thumbup:

Yeah I had really high hopes but to me it's just not worth trying to wedge your way through to get a beer and then trying to not spill it everywhere while you find a place to drink it. Rinse and repeat. Hopefully ditka will have a better experience today :thumbup:
On the train now and it's packed. Judging by the number of people with pretzels and neckbeards, it's going to be a long day.

Hoping for the best nonetheless.  

Hawks, did you try any of the Chickow!'s?

Any non omgwhalezbro I should seek out? Will check out Inigo per your recommendation.  

Users who are viewing this thread