What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What's Normal? - Do you regularly use cruise control? (1 Viewer)

Do you regularly use cruise control?

• Yes

Votes: 104 52.3%
  • No

Votes: 95 47.7%

• Total voters
I have it on 2 of our 4 vehicles and while it is awesome, living and driving in the city, I find I rarely if ever get the opportunity to use it. It's nearly impossible to use on the drive to/from work or running to the store/short trips. Awesome for a long trip but I seldom take long trips.

Pretty much never. Too much traffic in the area where I live to use it regularly. On the rare chances I get open road—I actually enjoy driving and don’t feel the need to allow a system to handle a portion of it.

Absolutely love it especially on long highway driving. With the newer adaptive cruise, you can for the most part just sit in the left lane and never touch the brake or gas. The braking is a little jarring if the speed drops significantly but for any gradual slowdowns where you're just waiting for someone to move over, its smooth.

Yes, although since I live in Houston and do not have much of a highway stretch on my commute it is only for trips.

I should take it to the pet peeves thread, but one of my big pet peeves is catching up to someone from a mile behind and then as soon as I pass them they start speeding up. If they were using cruise control at the speed they wanted to go then that wouldnt happen.

Yeah, I turn my cruise control on pretty much anytime I leave town. It makes the drive easier, plus I don't have to worry about speed enforcement. It helps that I live in a place with no traffic in any direction.

... plus I don't have to worry about speed enforcement.

On the days I drive into the office, about four miles of my route are a lightly-travelled two-lane highway that passes through a small-town suburb of New Orleans that has its own police force. They like to speed-trap along this route. The cops are in roughly the same place every time, so I turn on cruise-control to ensure that I pass the speed trap at 35 mph.

The typical speed of traffic the road is around 40-45 mph or so, so when I go down to 35 ... sometimes I get an aggressive tailgater. Or even a Dukes-of-Hazzard passing maneuver from the driver behind me. Three times over the past few months, I have seen an aggressive passer getting pulled over by the speed-trap cop (no mailing tickets -- an actual pull-over). When locals suddenly slow down ... it's for a reason.

Back when I had a multi state sales territory, I used it all the time. Don’t really have a use for it now.

Was driving to northern Michigan, had my cruise set on 80. For at least 150 miles this pickup was behind me, then passes, then behind. Guy passed me probably 10 times and then gradually slowed and I passed him 10 times. My wife said what is going on. I say I my speed never changed, guy is not using his CC and is going from 75 to 85 and back down. set your cruise and relax!

Was driving to northern Michigan, had my cruise set on 80. For at least 150 miles this pickup was behind me, then passes, then behind. Guy passed me probably 10 times and then gradually slowed and I passed him 10 times. My wife said what is going on. I say I my speed never changed, guy is not using his CC and is going from 75 to 85 and back down. set your cruise and relax!
Biggest driving pet peeve :angry:

Regularly? No. Sometimes? Yes.

It's worthless on most of my drives. Traffic is way too heavy on my commute, and even on my XC90 where I have adaptive CC and mild auto-pilot, I find the braking way too sketchy for me to be OK with it. It'll maintain a distance just fine, but if you're actually slowing down, I just don't trust it. I'll use it on road trips (we usually travel late and at off-peak hours) just to control my speed more than anything.

For long trips, always, couldn't live without it. Locally, almost never (live in urban area), prob could use more but don't think about it for some reason.

Every chance I get.

#1 requirement for when I get a new car is adaptive cruise control. Used it on a rental recently and OMG it's a life changer.
is this adaptive cruise control the system that senses if the car in front of you is driving slower than your current speed and adjusts to slow you down accordingly?

if so, my wife's car has this and it can abruptly slow the car down at a rate far more jarring than my foot would. we'll be cruising along on the highway at 77 but in the distance is a car doing 68, the car senses this and instead of gradually slowing to 68 it will often suddenly hard brake to rapidly decelerate vs. in my car where i will slow gradually, or change lanes to not have to reduce speed.

on more than a few occasions i can see panicked drivers braking in my rearview because the vehicle's hard braking is so abrupt and out of the blue. it feels way more dangerous than necessary.

I guess it depends on what you think "regularly" entails. I mean, I used it last week on a business trip as I was on a stretch of highway in Kansas that made it possible to use.... but there's zero chance of being able to use it on LA-area freeways. So I voted no but when I'm in the middle of nowhere on trips, I'll definitely use it.

I use it regularly with longer trips on the interstates. I mostly do it to keep my speed in check.

Every chance I get.

#1 requirement for when I get a new car is adaptive cruise control. Used it on a rental recently and OMG it's a life changer.
I only have the radar / adaptive CC on our RAV4 but totally agree that I won’t go with it in the future. I’ll always use it on that. With the van on trips without adaptive, I’ll use it for maybe half the trip between cities / light traffic.

Every chance I get.

is this adaptive cruise control the system that senses if the car in front of you is driving slower than your current speed and adjusts to slow you down accordingly?

if so, my wife's car has this and it can abruptly slow the car down at a rate far more jarring than my foot would. we'll be cruising along on the highway at 77 but in the distance is a car doing 68, the car senses this and instead of gradually slowing to 68 it will often suddenly hard brake to rapidly decelerate vs. in my car where i will slow gradually, or change lanes to not have to reduce speed.

on more than a few occasions i can see panicked drivers braking in my rearview because the vehicle's hard braking is so abrupt and out of the blue. it feels way more dangerous than necessary.
I had this on a rental car and hated it. Don't tell me when to slow down, buddy.

Yes, almost daily. My commute is 70 miles each way of mostly highway miles.

ETA: The only time I don't use it is in snow/ice/heavy rain.

Pretty much never. I don't like the feeling of lack of control.
I also think I have a pretty strong natural cruise control - enough that it confounds my wife. I'll complain about the kind of situation Da Guru mentioned above and she'll say she probably drives at inconsistent speeds all the time. I tell her I'd complain about her driving near me, too.

I'm a much safer driver without it and much more smoother than any cruise control system. Also nice having the option to just remove your foot from the accelerator pedal to handle a driving situation. I'll use it on occasion when I need to stretch or reach into the back seats to grab a fresh cold one.

Pretty much never. I don't like the feeling of lack of control.
I also think I have a pretty strong natural cruise control - enough that it confounds my wife. I'll complain about the kind of situation Da Guru mentioned above and she'll say she probably drives at inconsistent speeds all the time. I tell her I'd complain about her driving near me, too.
Great explanation. The interaction between the pedal and my foot is the difference between driving and riding a merry-go-round. Cruise control is the Coors Light of self driving cars.

Every chance I get.

I never experienced the extremes you mentioned with the adaptive CC on my car, but I do feel my own changes in acceleration are much more smooth than the computer's. And another thing that bothers me about it is that it has me set a relative cruising distance from the car ahead, but there are times when I don't want to be that far or that close. If I have to regularly turn CC on and off or change the setting, then I'd rather just control the speed myself.
(I'll admit that I might just not have given myself enough time to get used to the system, but the early results didn't sell me enough to do that)

Every chance I get.

I never experienced the extremes you mentioned with the adaptive CC on my car, but I do feel my own changes in acceleration are much more smooth than the computer's. And another thing that bothers me about it is that it has me set a relative cruising distance from the car ahead, but there are times when I don't want to be that far or that close. If I have to regularly turn CC on and off or change the setting, then I'd rather just control the speed myself.
(I'll admit that I might just not have given myself enough time to get used to the system, but the early results didn't sell me enough to do that)
our car does a decent job of maintaining a reasonable distance after controlling for the speed of car's in front, but it also panics and shudders the wheel when it senses traffic from the opposite direction is coming too close.

so if you're using cruise control headed westbound in a single lane, with traffic headed eastbound on the other side of the road, if the car senses that you're too close it violently shakes the wheel. that's always a delight that makes the lizard brain spring in to action.

for those reasons i'll only use cruise control if we're wide open on a multi-lane highway with little to no traffic in sight. i'm better at making decisions than the car's computer is (for now). though i suspect the technology will improve and my ability will decline to the point where eventually the best decision is to cede total control to the car. hopefully it's smart enough to avoid drone strikes.

On longer trips, yes. Most of the time, no. Voted no.

This adaptive cruise control sounds awful.

I don’t like cruise control unless it’s a relatively flat area and it will maintain a constant speed. My FIL is one of those who treats the peddle like an on and off button and it gets me nauseous if I pick up on it when riding with him.

Users who are viewing this thread