What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What's Normal? - Do you wash new clothes before wearing them? (1 Viewer)

Do you wash new clothes before wearing them?

• Yes

Votes: 85 48.9%
  • No

Votes: 89 51.1%

• Total voters
Yes, and I know it's irrational. In my imagination, my new clothes are sullied by having been handled by other customers and the person who rang me up. (Or, more likely, but the guy at Amazon who filled my order). This doesn't actually make any sense, but it doesn't hurt anything to wash them so why not.
I am exactly the same.

I have too. Many new clothes are washed in some type of industrial soap. I have to wash them or I will break out in a rash. Obviously I don't have to for ever piece of new clothing but I'm better safe than sorry. I've broken out way too many times to risk it

Yes, and I know it's irrational. In my imagination, my new clothes are sullied by having been handled by other customers and the person who rang me up. (Or, more likely, but the guy at Amazon who filled my order). This doesn't actually make any sense, but it doesn't hurt anything to wash them so why not.
It's perfectly rational. You should get all those new clothes chemicals off. However, many times I'm buying clothes that I need ASAP and washing before wearing doesn't sync with my laundry cycle.

Always wash them. A lit of times they have that kinda fishy ‘stank’ on them from whatever anti-moth, anti-vermin industrial treatment they put on them for shipping.

Plus, half you mooks don’t wah your hands after using the bathroom, and you’re the 15%ers. So, god only knows who touched them before me.

Don't really know how to answer this one. Historically, I haven't washed new cloths and have worn stuff right off the rack or out of the box . . . but I am not the one doing laundry. My wife washes everything that comes in the house (either purchased from a store or by mail). It's literally been years and years since I bought something and wore it without it being washed.

I don't, but I probably should. Then again, not sure if it would be harder to return clothes after they've been washed and you later find out they don't fit right or just decide you don't want them.

It depends. Underwear? Absolutely.
Hoodie? No need.
I'm kind of here too. I have no fear of catching cooties or anything like that, but certain fabrics need a little break-in. Underwear, t-shirts specifically. Socks, pants and sweaters/sweatshirts go right on.

If they're stiff or smell or need to be shrunk a little or something then yes but I don't have a "I must wash this first" rule.

New clothes other than underwear - no. Including socks.
But we’ll buy stuff from the thrift store every so often (family of 7, not super high income). Those always get washed.
This - answered no. Always wash underwear.

This poll is timely and I want to ensure you that you aren’t thinking irrationally.

I have a buddy who works for a very popular clothing/sports equipment brand. Given his position, he was hooking our golf tournament team up with matching clothing. When he handed the clothes to us he said, “boys, not sure what you normally do, but I’ve been on the manufacturing floor and know the conditions clothes ship in. You should wash these and any new clothes you get.”

So, while I never use to, I do now.

Usually. If not, I'll probably give them a soak to at least let the color run.
This seems like the oddest reply so far. At that point, why not just wash them?
I'm not diligent separating colors and whites. I don't have a lot of laundry to do. If I buy a red tee shirt and I'd like to wear it in a day or 2, I'd rather just let it soak in a sink for a little bit as I'm not going to run a load for a couple shirts and underwear.

Fact check me on this. Look up MRSA, read about it and understand what it is. Then wash ALL new clothes before you wear them. Not sure why? Look up MRSA again and read it this time and then wash your new clothes. Oh and then go wash your hands after took a pee, picked your nose, rubbed your face, picked your butt and proudly typed on your disgusting keyboard that you "never wash your hands after you pee." You are welcome.

I have too. Many new clothes are washed in some type of industrial soap. I have to wash them or I will break out in a rash. Obviously I don't have to for ever piece of new clothing but I'm better safe than sorry. I've broken out way too many times to risk it
So you are some weirdo.....

So I get the idea of the chemicals etc being an issue if you have allergies or some such thing. Other than that what are you afraid of that is in these clothes you are buying new? There are more germs in any common space you touch while you go about your daily life. I just don't get the concern.

Because the clothes touch so many other people and places before it gets to you.

The textile manufacturer that spins yarn and cotton, usually in a cheaper country, you think their standards are like ours? Then it ships, which is often dirty as well. Then it goes to a printer, another place for many hands to touch it and process it. Then it ships again to the store, where they touch it even more. Or it goes to a warehouse first, who then distributes it to other stores (sometimes not immediately so it sits collecting dust or who knows what else depending on the warehouse conditions for a few weeks or months or even years). Just a lot of shipping and hands and processing before it gets on the rack. Plus, as others have mentioned, the dyes can interest with skin and even if it doesn’t cause a visible reaction can potentially not be good when your body absorbs it.

Just wash them lol.

t. Warehouse manager for apparel company

Because the clothes touch so many other people and places before it gets to you.

The textile manufacturer that spins yarn and cotton, usually in a cheaper country, you think their standards are like ours? Then it ships, which is often dirty as well. Then it goes to a printer, another place for many hands to touch it and process it. Then it ships again to the store, where they touch it even more. Or it goes to a warehouse first, who then distributes it to other stores (sometimes not immediately so it sits collecting dust or who knows what else depending on the warehouse conditions for a few weeks or months or even years). Just a lot of shipping and hands and processing before it gets on the rack. Plus, as others have mentioned, the dyes can interest with skin and even if it doesn’t cause a visible reaction can potentially not be good when your body absorbs it.

Just wash them lol.

t. Warehouse manager for apparel company
Don't germs have a shelf life on inanimate objects like clothes? So the initial germs etc you speak of are dead well before it gets into my hands. It's not like I am eating the clothes or anything like that. Again, I would be more worried about the door handles, shopping carts, etc that are touched by many people right before I touch those things than clothes that are sitting for days before I get to them.

You might have something on the dyes/chemicals causing some people to breakout due to allergic reactions but in my 50 plus years I have never had an issue so I don't think I will start having them now.

Warehouses are gross my man. Also, some germs/bacteria survive a while and some don't.

In the grand scheme of things, probably won't do you much harm. However, why take the risk and not add them to pile of dirty laundry that needs to get done anyway? Not like you are going out of your way to wash that one new shirt or anything right?

Hit and miss but they are loaded with chemicals it seems so it's probably a good idea. Get itchy thinking about it.

Don’t drink soda or beer anymore but when I did, absolutely wiped the top off real quick before cracking a cold one open. The space next to our apparel warehouse is a beverage company that works festivals year around. The pallets of sodas and beers there are dirty as hell lol.

had to do this for our youngest. learned that the hard way. poor kid was allergic to .... something on new clothes. then we found out she was allergic to many detergents, too :(

a long few months of trial & error in the beginning.

One of my favorite stores is when a high school teammate wore a new dress shirt to a Christmas tournament game and it turned him blue.

Will always wash new stuff

Don’t drink soda or beer anymore but when I did, absolutely wiped the top off real quick before cracking a cold one open. The space next to our apparel warehouse is a beverage company that works festivals year around. The pallets of sodas and beers there are dirty as hell lol.
one of my old roommates worked for a beverage distributor. he told me about guys walking on the stacks, taking naps on the stacks, eating up there.. he told me to always, always, always rinse the top of cans before putting your mouth near the can.

Same here. No rash but it itches like crazy.

Users who are viewing this thread