What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What's up with Da'rick Rogers (1 Viewer)

I personally think Da'Rick Rogers is as talented as Hopkins and as far as measurables go. Hopkins has elite ball skills and college production.

Rogers has a shorter leash being an undrafted FA.

For the sake of discussion lets ASSUME he ends up being the Colts #1 WR next year---Do you like him over a DeAndre Hopkins even if they pick Teddy Bridgewater?
I personally think Da'Rick Rogers is as talented as Hopkins and as far as measurables go. Hopkins has elite ball skills and college production.

Rogers has a shorter leash being an undrafted FA.
I wasnt sure if situation would over-rule some things or not for some people. If Rogers was the #1 in Indy would that be enough to look past Hopkins being a first round pick and a #2 WR?

I still think you go Hopkins and wait until the new regime/QB is in place.

Hopkins is flying below the radar if that's possible.

It was very hard turning down a 1st round rookie pick in HyperActive I for him at the beginning of the season, but I did. I drafted him at 2.05 in HA1 and that was my first pick of the draft. I have him in 8 of my 10 dynasty leagues.

This is how he was obtained in my leagues.

HyperActive 1 - I drafted him at 2.05

HyperActive 3 - 2.08 (I didn't draft him, another team did)

Fantasy Legends 1 - I drafted him at 2.06

Fantasy Legends 2 - I drafted him at 2.07

Fantasy Legends 3 - 2.11 (another team drafted him, I obtained via a trade)

Fantasy Legends 4 - I drafted him at 2.03

Hall of Fame Dynasty - I drafted him at 2.04

Ultimate Football Dynasty - I drafted him at 3.12

Build a Champion 2 - I picked him off the Waiver Wire in early Oct.
Cool story.
Oh, that again. You do that a lot. Did it ever occur to you that some people would like to know where Rodgers was drafted? Mark, you really need to stop that cool story bro crap.
I see that post as useful and I'm sure many others do too.

duaneok66 said:
I am referring to their play on the field . . . Gordon can separate vertically . . . Rogers is more of an intermediate guy . . .
Twice now in 4 weeks, Rogers has toasted the LCB on a deep route, only to be grabbed onto and a penalty called. Both would have likely been deep TDs. 26 yards downfield the 1st time, 2nd time, same play, 5 yard holding penalty.

He still needs route running experience and Reggie needs to come back as player/coach.
slot receivers can get deep occasionally as well . . . true #1 receivers get deep often and often command help over the top - don't think he's in that class . . .
He's played like 3 games dude...
we can agree to disagree.
The difference is you have no idea why you are disagreeing.

duaneok66 said:
I am referring to their play on the field . . . Gordon can separate vertically . . . Rogers is more of an intermediate guy . . .
Twice now in 4 weeks, Rogers has toasted the LCB on a deep route, only to be grabbed onto and a penalty called. Both would have likely been deep TDs. 26 yards downfield the 1st time, 2nd time, same play, 5 yard holding penalty.

He still needs route running experience and Reggie needs to come back as player/coach.
slot receivers can get deep occasionally as well . . . true #1 receivers get deep often and often command help over the top - don't think he's in that class . . .
He's played like 3 games dude...
we can agree to disagree.
The difference is you have no idea why you are disagreeing.
you're right.

Interesting from someone on twitter.

@ColtsAuth_Kyle: @Eross418 yes and no. Rogers isn't... well... smart. So reading coverages probably isn't ever going to be great.

Lots of dumb guys, especially at WR, figure out how to beat defenses. If it all comes together, he'll be fine.

I'm pretty sure Gore has a learning disability, and yet he's a football savant. The coaches ask his opinions on all kinds of things related to scheme because football intelligence is different than "intelligence" in the classic sense of the word.

@ColtsAuth_Kyle: @Eross418 yes and no. Rogers isn't... well... smart. So reading coverages probably isn't ever going to be great.
or not....

From ESPN.COM

“He’s the smartest football player I’ve ever coached besides Cris Carter,” Baggett said. “Cris Carter was the smartest as far as studying and knowing game and understanding the game. If Da’Rick learns to study the game, he’ll be the smartest football player on the Colts.”
That’s a pretty impressive name to be compared to, no matter who you are.

or not....

From ESPN.COM

Hes the smartest football player Ive ever coached besides Cris Carter, Baggett said. Cris Carter was the smartest as far as studying and knowing game and understanding the game. If DaRick learns to study the game, hell be the smartest football player on the Colts.
Thats a pretty impressive name to be compared to, no matter who you are.
To play devils advocate that could be a big IF and his mental issues made him go undrafted.

or not....

From ESPN.COM

Hes the smartest football player Ive ever coached besides Cris Carter, Baggett said. Cris Carter was the smartest as far as studying and knowing game and understanding the game. If DaRick learns to study the game, hell be the smartest football player on the Colts.
To play devils advocate that could be a big IF and his mental issues made him go undrafted.
the red flags for off the field stuff is what caused him to go undrafted. There are plenty of articles stating he is regarded as the #1 Wr in the 2013 class. He also was the only Wr to post top 5s in every drill at the combine that year.

or not....

From ESPN.COM

Smarter than Andrew Luck?

or not....

From ESPN.COM

Smarter than Andrew Luck?
I think he's a WR coach...or was at the time.

In early May of this year, Rogers was drafted at 4.06 of the rookie draft of our 12 team Dynasty league after he signed with the Bills. I was going to make him my final pick at 4.12 had he not been picked. As luck would have it, he was cut by his fantasy owner on September 3rd when our league had its cut down to 25. Beginning 9/19/13, I added and dropped him twice while he was just getting under way in Indy off and on the practice squad, being inactive and finally active. I added him as a free agent for nothing on 11/24/13 when he finally was activated. I am happy to have him.
Watch out for the "Cool Story Bro" post coming because you mentioned something about your specific team. Good for you man. I know the Rogers story hasn't been written yet, but if he can stay out of trouble, his on the field story might just be an exciting one. You certainly got him cheap.
Cool story Bro. My story is cool too. Grabbed him in the 1st Rd at #11 because he's the best WR in the class and by luck he now has the best QB throwing to him in the 2013 WR draft class. Referring to page 1, I was hoping Indy would draft him. This such a huge jackpot if he keeps his head on straight. I had to write his name in on the draft board. Love doing that. You get the 'huh'? 'who' and then the 'son of a #####, ####' down the road.
Did you also take Stacy at 1.12 in this certain draft? :)

It was very hard turning down a 1st round rookie pick in HyperActive I for him at the beginning of the season, but I did. I drafted him at 2.05 in HA1 and that was my first pick of the draft. I have him in 8 of my 10 dynasty leagues.

This is how he was obtained in my leagues.

HyperActive 1 - I drafted him at 2.05

HyperActive 3 - 2.08 (I didn't draft him, another team did)

Fantasy Legends 1 - I drafted him at 2.06

Fantasy Legends 2 - I drafted him at 2.07

Fantasy Legends 3 - 2.11 (another team drafted him, I obtained via a trade)

Fantasy Legends 4 - I drafted him at 2.03

Hall of Fame Dynasty - I drafted him at 2.04

Ultimate Football Dynasty - I drafted him at 3.12

Build a Champion 2 - I picked him off the Waiver Wire in early Oct.
I like seeing where others got him as well.

Honestly.......and I own him in 5 of my 7 dynasties, I hated drafting him with a pick in the first round.

One league, where we drafted rooks in may, I took him at 1.13 in a 16 teamer. I say hated bc lets face it, talent withstanding, its a big timegamble taking an udfa in the first round. As his adp continued to sink into the summer, I snagged him with 3s and 4s.

2 leagues I plucked him after he got dumped by impatient owners. Only leagues I dont own him, jpeso snagged him, and I know he is not going to be dropping him nor letting him go cheaply

I snagged him off the WW right before his big 2 TD game because of this thread. I will drop him if he gets kicked off/released from the colts but I anticipate him struggling a little next year as they move coverage his way so he's a hold all next year and beyond barring off field issues.

Watch him on tape. He's getting open+he's super physical+he has a young elite QB throwing to him. That's a special combination. Once Luck fully trusts this kid to be where he's supposed to be all the time. The sky is the limit.

So evidently Rogers is too dumb to play in the hurry-up then, and that's been their main offense lately so that's why he's a non-factor.

So evidently Rogers is too dumb to play in the hurry-up then, and that's been their main offense lately so that's why he's a non-factor.
Impressively lame comment. He's in there but Luck is locked on in Hilton.
wrong
Which part? Rogers is in there AND Luck is locked in on Hilton.
They have been playing Hilton, Whalen and Brazil with Fleener for all but about 5-6 plays in first half.

Impressively lame comment. He's in there but Luck is locked on in Hilton.
wrong
Which part? Rogers is in there AND Luck is locked in on Hilton.
They have been playing Hilton, Whalen and Brazil with Fleener for all but about 5-6 plays in first half.
You comment is lame regardless. He started the game and Luck threw zero passes to him week 17 as well. He played that week as much as any other WR. Ditto every week since. He may not be in there now but no matter, they obviously suck without him in there.

So do you guys think T.Y. Hilton likes it when Rogers is playing?

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't believe buffalo cut this guy. :(
From everything I've read then and since, Rogers was a total slacker in Buffalo. Wasn't learning the playbook, late to meetings, not staying late working on routes, etc. He likely would have failed in Buffalo. He needed to be cut to wake him up and get him to take it seriously. Not much the Bills could do about that.

Yeah plus Rogers still isn't out of the woods yet. This off season is huge for his development. Is he going to come in and put in the work he needs to with Luck or is he going to party.

I love his upside but I still think there is a significant chance he is out of the league next year. I mean he has no more chances left......

From everything I've read then and since, Rogers was a total slacker in Buffalo. Wasn't learning the playbook, late to meetings, not staying late working on routes, etc. He likely would have failed in Buffalo. He needed to be cut to wake him up and get him to take it seriously. Not much the Bills could do about that.
Where did you read that?......I never heard anything of that nature.

From what I read he was cut by the Bills because they felt that they had stronger options at WR and part of the reason Rogers lagged behind was that he made too many mental errors; like not being in the right place or running the wrong routes, as well as "sulking" when things did not go his way on the field. But I haven't read anything that says that was because of a lack of effort or disciplinary issues so I would be interested to hear where that has been written and who the source is. To me it just sounds like he was too raw and the Bills felt they had other young receivers that they preferred keeping around over Rogers.

When he was promoted from the Indy practice squad Pagano said; "You’ve got a talented football player…Now we are going to give him an opportunity because he’s earned it."

That does not sound like a guy who is showing up late for team meetings or not putting in the work on the practice field so whatever happened in college and with the Bills he certainly seems to be putting in the effort with his current team. An entire offseason with the Colts should do wonders for him and should put him in a much more competitive place to get playing time next season. It's not easy for any rookie WR, much less someone that has bounced around different teams and practice squads before finally getting on the roster in November. With that being said, no he is not out of the woods, but who is? The very nature of the NFL is highly volatile and unpredictable and there is no telling where he is in 9 months. He could be cut, he could be suspended, he could be injured, but I could also see him growing into the Colts' number one receiver and if that happens, with his talent and physique and Luck as a QB, the sky is the limit. I would say he is a definite hold and that owners should be patient with him at least for the first two thirds of next season. In some ways that will be his rookie season so he will likely not fly out of the gate.

Rotoworld:

Da'Rick Rogers played on 28-of-67 (41.7 percent) snaps in Saturday's win over the Chiefs.

T.Y. Hilton led the way with 61 snaps, followed by Griff Whalen (54) and LaVon Brazill (49). Still, Rogers' usage in a playoff game is encouraging considering he was signed off the street by the Colts in September. With a full offseason to work in the program, he could easily pass up Brazill for No. 2 duties opposite Hilton.

Source: profootballfocus.com

King of the Jungle said:
Where did you read that?......I never heard anything of that nature.
Doug Marrone was hardly biting his tongue whenever he would talk about Rogers in the pre season. He quite clearly was hoping for better effort from him and he felt that Da'Rick just wasn't bringing it every time. If he's turned over a new leaf with regard to his approach then good for him. I genuinely hope that he ultimately makes it in the league.

Rotoworld:

Da'Rick Rogers played on 28-of-67 (41.7 percent) snaps in Saturday's win over the Chiefs.

T.Y. Hilton led the way with 61 snaps, followed by Griff Whalen (54) and LaVon Brazill (49). Still, Rogers' usage in a playoff game is encouraging considering he was signed off the street by the Colts in September. With a full offseason to work in the program, he could easily pass up Brazill for No. 2 duties opposite Hilton.

Wayne drops to #3 or #4???

Wayne is going to hit the wall at some point. Even if he comes back, it wouldn't surprise me a bit if there was a huge dropoff in production.

Wayne is going to hit the wall at some point. Even if he comes back, it wouldn't surprise me a bit if there was a huge dropoff in production.
I could see Wayne in the slot with Rogers on the outside. Good for Wayne, not so much for Rogers. Hilton on the other side. Brazill and Whalen watching form the sidelines. Hilton has big play abilities but not size. Rogers has both. Hilton doesn't come down with that deep pass that Rogers caught. Brazill and Whalen are obviously inferior talents. Hopefully Wayne comes back for another season. Rogers could use that from a coaching perspective.

I liked brazil last year as a sleeper in dynasty. What is the opinion on him now?
He is still a talent but his issue is his head. If he can keep his nose clean in the offseason and work hard he may take a step forward. I'm not that trusting of him, however.

I liked Brazil before Rogers showed up. I thought he would be the one that excelled, not Hilton. He looks like at best a low end #2 on a team, more like a #3 WR.

I was watching Jimmy Fallon last night where Griff Whalen got voted most likely to do "jazz hands" after a touchdown. I cracked up.

Rotoworld:

Wayne drops to #3 or #4???
I love Wayne, but let's be honest here - to paraphrase a famous Shaq quote, "36 ain't 26." Wayne will turn 36 next season.

It's going to be rough for him to come back like he was from a torn ACL. There were only three players in the League that caught a pass and were older than Wayne - Tony Gonzalaz, Brandon Stokley and Brad Meester. Stokley only played 6 games and caught 13 passes. Meester is a lineman and caught one pass and Gonzalas seems to be a freak of nature.

If Wayne comes back as a #1 at 36 after ACL rehab, then it would be an epic feat. He'd have to be even more of a freak than Gonzalaz - he'd be getting into the Jerry Rice class when it came to being able to play at his age.

I wish Wayne the best, but I'm not holding him as a #1 in Fantasy.

Last edited by a moderator:
I certainly don't think Wayne would be a #1, but he'd be deadly in the slot and I could see him grabbing 70 passes. All of this, of course, if he's healthy.

He is always in top physical condition, so I have no worries there. He was having a very good season at 35, so again pending health, I think he can still be an integral part of the offense.

I certainly don't think Wayne would be a #1, but he'd be deadly in the slot and I could see him grabbing 70 passes. All of this, of course, if he's healthy.

He is always in top physical condition, so I have no worries there. He was having a very good season at 35, so again pending health, I think he can still be an integral part of the offense.
That's why I can see him in the slot catching the chain moving passes.

Users who are viewing this thread