What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What's up with Da'rick Rogers (1 Viewer)

r0llin_game said:
The Duff Man said:
Look for Luck's INT numbers to shoot up as Da'Brick runs the wrong routes
At least Da'Rick will have chances to make plays unlike DHB who constantly drops balls because his hands are made of stone.
DHB = Willie Gault part II and that's an insult to Willie Gault, who has more talent than DHB, but the same hands as DHB.

Craig_MiamiFL said:
Meh. I'd like it more if DHB or Hilton were out.

They desperately need an underneath route runner more than anything. Whalen is the only one they've got (and I don't know his health situation other than he got rocked on a pass). This 6-3 team seems to be in complete disarray. Offense seems to be deep completions to Hilton or bust right now.
As a Colts fan the last thing I want is Hilton out. That would be the end of the season as far as I'm concerned. He's the only real weapon we have.
Agree completely.

I'm a little gunshy to even talk about Rogers because I am at a loss on this one. My eyes told me that what I saw in college was that this guy could tear this league up. He performed well in the SEC..against some good competition. But whatever is going on when he is with a team that the coaches see and then doesn't translate to the field obviously trumps that.

At this point, I wouldn't be one bit surprised to see this guy do absolutely nothing...nothing...OR..if he showed up and all of a sudden he is that guy that suddenly starts tearing it up.

I'm betting the former and hoping the latter for the COlts sake.

lod01 said:
The Duff Man said:
In other words, someone else beat you to him.
More likely he actually watched some preseason games or read the camp reports and knows just how many times Rogers completely screwed up routes and left his QB out to dry.
The fact that the colts scooped him up without a workout and have now promoted him to the active roster trumps all that. Now the fins, they worked him out but have no one that can judge talent. They overpaid for One-trick Pony Wallace and it took an injury to see the ability of Rishard Matthews.

lod01 said:
The Duff Man said:
In other words, someone else beat you to him.
More likely he actually watched some preseason games or read the camp reports and knows just how many times Rogers completely screwed up routes and left his QB out to dry.
The fact that the colts scooped him up without a workout and have now promoted him to the active roster trumps all that. Now the fins, they worked him out but have no one that can judge talent. They overpaid for One-trick Pony Wallace and it took an injury to see the ability of Rishard Matthews.
He ran he wrong routes all summer. I'm not sure how the Colts being desperate enough to put him on their active roster trumps what he did over and over all summer.

At least Rogers is an unquestioned talent for the time being and the Colts in their situation are left to see what they have with him. DHB is an answered can't play football talent. Whalen is not a starting NFL talent. They are not going to make any run in playoffs trotting out DBH/Whalen and they know that hence why Rogers was activated.

He's probably getting a 100x better coaching in Indy than in Buffalo. This includes coaching from Reggie Wayne who takes a backseat to no one in game prep. Up in Buffalo, you have Stevie Johnson as the top WR and he doesn't even come close to Wayne.

I'm a little gunshy to even talk about Rogers because I am at a loss on this one. My eyes told me that what I saw in college was that this guy could tear this league up. He performed well in the SEC..against some good competition. But whatever is going on when he is with a team that the coaches see and then doesn't translate to the field obviously trumps that.

At this point, I wouldn't be one bit surprised to see this guy do absolutely nothing...nothing...OR..if he showed up and all of a sudden he is that guy that suddenly starts tearing it up.

This is right where I'm at with him too. He could have a huge game or get cut again and I wouldn't bat an eyelash either way. This is encouraging news though.

He's probably getting a 100x better coaching in Indy than in Buffalo. This includes coaching from Reggie Wayne who takes a backseat to no one in game prep. Up in Buffalo, you have Stevie Johnson as the top WR and he doesn't even come close to Wayne.
Does the Indy coaching staff have a great track record of developing WRs? Is that why Lavon Brazil and DHB have been doing so well?

Rogers was on the PS, and was promoted ALREADY this year, was cut again, and re-signed to the PS. He's been promoted because the Colts need bodies, and (in theory) his ######## knows the offense better than a street free agent.

Nothing trumps the fact that he's been cut by two different teams this year, and has been available to every team inn the NFL since August, when he didn't even make final cuts, and wasn't even signed to the PS by the team that saw him all summer.

If he starts showing anything, sweet. Everything we have seen since draft day tells us he is just a guy, and unworthy of a roster spot on anything but 45+ roster spot dynasty leagues.

Does the Indy coaching staff have a great track record of developing WRs? Is that why Lavon Brazil and DHB have been doing so well?

Rogers was on the PS, and was promoted ALREADY this year, was cut again, and re-signed to the PS. He's been promoted because the Colts need bodies, and (in theory) his ######## knows the offense better than a street free agent.

Nothing trumps the fact that he's been cut by two different teams this year, and has been available to every team inn the NFL since August, when he didn't even make final cuts, and wasn't even signed to the PS by the team that saw him all summer.

If he starts showing anything, sweet. Everything we have seen since draft day tells us he is just a guy, and unworthy of a roster spot on anything but 45+ roster spot dynasty leagues.
It's impossible to develop DHB. Why would you even think that there is? Brazil is still an unknown. There is nothing in his way to a starting job.

I think TY Hilton has turned out pretty well...

And yes, I'd say the Colts coaching abilities, Wayne and Luck included, easily trumps anything the Bills have in that city.

I think TY Hilton has turned out pretty well...

And yes, I'd say the Colts coaching abilities, Wayne and Luck included, easily trumps anything the Bills have in that city.
The Bills probably threw too much at him. Maybe something along the lines of learn every WR position. They haven't been good at anything for almost a decade. They can't even figure out how to use Spiller.

There's educated guesses, guesses, and pulling stuff directly out of your behind to make excuses.

You know, a few pages ago, the 'Bills coaching staff doesn't know what they are doing' card was already played. Colts don't look too much smarter than Buffalo to me. Hey, we have the best QB prospect in decades! Let's run the ball 30 times a game with a gimpy vet and a bad blocking O-line!!

I am sure it was a coaching problem that caused the guy to forget all the times he was supposed to be on the field for special teams :lol:

COULD he come in and light it up? Sure. Guys can come from the supermarket and make the hall of fame, it has happened.

Then by the same token every other PS WR could too....so good luck figuring out who to pick up and start.

HE has shown enough that the reasonable course of action is to wait until HE shows a reason to have fantasy value.

But hey....lottery tickets hit sometimes too!

There's educated guesses, guesses, and pulling stuff directly out of your behind to make excuses.

You know, a few pages ago, the 'Bills coaching staff doesn't know what they are doing' card was already played. Colts don't look too much smarter than Buffalo to me. Hey, we have the best QB prospect in decades! Let's run the ball 30 times a game with a gimpy vet and a bad blocking O-line!!
Yeah well it's true. Buffalo has sucked for years. It's fact. And yes, these guys are making a mistake trying to be a pound the ball but it looks like they may be seeing that mistake. The FO made the Richardson move. The coaches didn't. With Wayne gone, they need an upgrade at WR and are seeing if Rogers is that upgrade. Lord know DHB is pure garbage and without Wayne, all they have is Hilton. I'll blame the moves on the FO. DHB sucks. has always sucked and always will suck. The FO made that move also. The coaches work with what they have. Now they have a high upside WR.

If the only thing holding Ind back previously was him running bad routes then that's a best case scenario. That's easily coachable. If be more concerned if he was displaying his attitude problems.

If the only thing holding Ind back previously was him running bad routes then that's a best case scenario. That's easily coachable. If be more concerned if he was displaying his attitude problems.
It's a massive guess. No one has any word from beat writers about Rogers from Indy. The last word was from Buffalo, where his practice reports got worse and worse every week, and he couldn't get reps in practice, let alone preseason games.

Was dropped, before the final roster cuts, wasn't claimed by anyone (which is pretty telling), and made it onto Indy's PS. Was promoted to the active roster after injuries, and will probably not even see the field unless another injury happens.

Certainly smells a lot like a guy that was overhyped pre-draft and people cannot adjust to what the NFL actually thinks.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000280875/article/darick-rogers-has-opportunity-to-help-colts-offense

With Reggie Wayne and Dwayne Allen out for the season, the Indianapolis Colts' lack of firepower was abundantly evident in Sunday's 38-8 blowout loss to the Rams.

The coaching staff moved to address that need for a playmaker on Monday, elevating enigmatic wide receiver Da'Rick Rogers from the practice squad.

Although Rogers is no sure bet to be active for Thursday's game versus the Titans, coach Chuck Pagano hinted Tuesday that the gifted rookie will be given a chance to compete for a significant role down the stretch.

"You've got a talented football player," Pagano said, citing Rogers' size, speed and big-play ability. "Now we are going to give him an opportunity because he's earned it."

Although Rogers failed to endear himself to the Bills coaching staff before his late August release, Pagano noted that he's already picked up the Colts offense by arriving early and staying late since landing in Indianapolis two months ago.

Drawing comparisons to Brandon Marshall and former Bills star Eric Moulds, Rogers went undrafted coming out of Tennessee Tech due to multiple substance abuse violations and concerns about an entitlement mentality.

Rogers dominated the SEC at Tennessee as a 20-year-old sophomore and was viewed by many as a first- or second-round talent entering the 2013 NFL Draft. If he begins showing a rapport with Andrew Luck in practices, it won't be long before he's pushing Griff Whalen and LaVon Brazill for playing time as the Colts' No. 3 receiver in an offense that desperately needs playmakers capable of beating man coverage.

Last edited by a moderator:
ConnSKINS26 said:
Maybe getting cut from the Bills was the thing Rogers needed to get himself kick-started.
It was what I was hoping for when I drafted him. Landing in Indy is like hitting the jackpot with this guy. Now it's all up to him.

So what you guys are saying is because he was undrafted and was cut twice, that he's not worth an add unless the roster is, 45 players deep. Ok, while you scratch your asses and ##### about he's not going to make any impression, I'll pick him up (as in already have picked him up in leagues where he's been dropped before) and take a shot on this lottery ticket that cost me a whole roster spot in my dynasty leagues. If he doesn't pan out, then I guess I'll cry about the Brian Leonard's that I could have had on my roster, that would have pissed away the roster spot with just about 0 upside.

So what you guys are saying is because he was undrafted and was cut twice, that he's not worth an add unless the roster is, 45 players deep. Ok, while you scratch your asses and ##### about he's not going to make any impression, I'll pick him up (as in already have picked him up in leagues where he's been dropped before) and take a shot on this lottery ticket that cost me a whole roster spot in my dynasty leagues. If he doesn't pan out, then I guess I'll cry about the Brian Leonard's that I could have had on my roster, that would have pissed away the roster spot with just about 0 upside.
In any dyansty league, we ALL have terribly wasted roster spots from time to time It happens. I think people could do a lot worse than having Rogers at the end of their roster and waiting to see. Like was said above, the situation is almost ideal IF he actually does something with hit. THe next 6-7 weeks, based on his performance, could be the difference in how the Colts address their WRs in relation to Wayne, Brazil, and the draft going forward. Physically, he appears to be the ideal complement to Hilton.

I think if he doesn't pan out, the Colts will look hard at Maclin, Nicks, that type of player or they will go back to the draft. I would much prefer to see Rogers pan out in this situation.

I thought Rogers looked pretty good at camp. Opportunity trumps talent. Even if he runs 2 or 3 routes, if he can catch the ball, that is an upgrade to DHB.

Whalen looked good in camp too. I'm hoping he comes around. The problem is, I felt he was better in the slot and I think that's where we'll find Hilton more often.

I thought Rogers looked pretty good at camp. Opportunity trumps talent. Even if he runs 2 or 3 routes, if he can catch the ball, that is an upgrade to DHB.

Whalen looked good in camp too. I'm hoping he comes around. The problem is, I felt he was better in the slot and I think that's where we'll find Hilton more often.
Whalen in his limited time so far looks like he is struggling to gain any seperation or beat press coverage and he does not appera to offer much as a play maker or someone you can rely on in the slot. Maybe that has something to do with being young and inexperienced, but I don't think he has much to offer going forward.

The Colts need to see what they have in Rogers (perhaps they get lucky and he is really good) so they know what 'needs' they have in next years draft.

In any dyansty league, we ALL have terribly wasted roster spots from time to time It happens. I think people could do a lot worse than having Rogers at the end of their roster and waiting to see. Like was said above, the situation is almost ideal IF he actually does something with hit. THe next 6-7 weeks, based on his performance, could be the difference in how the Colts address their WRs in relation to Wayne, Brazil, and the draft going forward. Physically, he appears to be the ideal complement to Hilton.

I think if he doesn't pan out, the Colts will look hard at Maclin, Nicks, that type of player or they will go back to the draft. I would much prefer to see Rogers pan out in this situation.
The only losers here are those who continue to bash him. Most have sour grapes, unable to see his talent, standing by with their mouths open as a superior owner snatches him up on speculation. The best they can hope for is that he fails. Those of us with him are in a no lose situation. For me, he sits at the #5 WR spot behind Calvin, Marshall, Cooper, Matthews and some bum I pick up this week after trading away Marlon Brown. He's better than anything on the waiver wire. if he can't cut it, I just tweak my 2014 draft accordingly.

This guy is a beast and the latest word from Pagano is he has a good grasp of the playbook. If IND defense continues to stink like it did last week, he could put up some nice numbers. Excited to see how he does.

COULD he come in and light it up? Sure. Guys can come from the supermarket and make the hall of fame, it has happened.

Then by the same token every other PS WR could too....so good luck figuring out who to pick up and start.
Please list all the WRs on practice squads that lit up the SEC the way Da'Rick did so that I can add them to my roster now before they break out, please.

Remember when we used to give young players a few seasons to prove themselves? Funny how things have changed. If he has one target and it ends up being a dropped pass everyone will assume the guy is useless. One week Luck is the best QB in the NFL the next week he is not ready to take the next step.

High upside prospect on a team with no real #2 for the rest of the year, with a great organization, young superstar QB, and HOF veteran WR to provide (hopefully) mentoring. This is EXACTLY the type of end-of-bench guy I want in dynasty. Plus, if he's cut or not playing, you can cut bait quick enough.

Remember when we used to give young players a few seasons to prove themselves? Funny how things have changed. If he has one target and it ends up being a dropped pass everyone will assume the guy is useless. One week Luck is the best QB in the NFL the next week he is not ready to take the next step.
This accurately sums up the new Shark Pool. Just a steaming pile of %(_%(@#$.

Stuck Rogers on the end of the bench. Didn't have to cut anyone with Arian going on IR so cost me only a couple buck for the roster moves. Seems worth it.

The colts are going to try to start throwing more with the way the run game is going. Definitely could be opportunity here

High upside prospect on a team with no real #2 for the rest of the year, with a great organization, young superstar QB, and HOF veteran WR to provide (hopefully) mentoring. This is EXACTLY the type of end-of-bench guy I want in dynasty. Plus, if he's cut or not playing, you can cut bait quick enough.
Exactly. Its not like we are dumping a slumping Bowe for him or any startable player. I don't know anybody who's last bench spot has higher upside than this kid. Not hard to replace him if he sucks anyways. I like to have a rotating roster spot for lottery tickets like this.

Exactly. Its not like we are dumping a slumping Bowe for him or any startable player. I don't know anybody who's last bench spot has higher upside than this kid.Not hard to replace him if he sucks anyways. I like to have a rotating roster spot for lottery tickets like this.
The trick of course being not to discard the ticket the night before it hits. :doh:

Scouting reports raved about his ability. He has done some immature things and was barely given a chance. The opportunity is there. Wayne's loss leaves a huge hole. Hilton is ok, but not the #1 answer there due to his size. Luck needs another guy and it seems like the support for Rogers is there. I hope he takes this opportunity and runs with it.

Please list all the WRs on practice squads that lit up the SEC the way Da'Rick did so that I can add them to my roster now before they break out, please.
Hey if you are in a league with a roster space for lottery tickets why not take a chance?

Some head cases never pull it together despite the athletic ability. No I am not going to list them :P

Some turn it around. Best of luck to those holding him!

I am not even playing in a league and have no horse in the race, just commenting on what I observed all summer.

Lost Gordon in a package deal to acquire Luck. Picked up Da'rick to fill the nuckleheaded talent spot on my dynasty roster as my my WR8.

Meh. I'd like it more if DHB or Hilton were out.

They desperately need an underneath route runner more than anything. Whalen is the only one they've got (and I don't know his health situation other than he got rocked on a pass). This 6-3 team seems to be in complete disarray. Offense seems to be deep completions to Hilton or bust right now.
As a Colts fan the last thing I want is Hilton out. That would be the end of the season as far as I'm concerned. He's the only real weapon we have.
Agree completely.

I looked at a video that showed every play of his from SEC and I wasn't impressed. He dropped at least four passes that season and I didn't see much after the catch that made me think he would be a difference maker in the NFL. He looks to me like the kind of guy who belongs in the NFL as a fourth or fifth WR on a team.

My 12 team dynasty league has 22 roster spots plus 15 on the taxi squad for rookies we draft each year. Better to hold some talent then a guy who has shown you'll never start him for a couple of points.

Maybe in 2015 we can dig this thread up again, when he may actually be relevant. Until then let someone else waste their roster soace
You may be right.

But you may also be wrong. Whalen, Brazill, and DHB don't constitute much competition in front of him.

Dynasty I guess, fair enough.....but I'd be shocked if he does anything of note the rest of this year. I think I'd be mildly surprised if he even caught a pass.

To be quite honest, I am hoping he has like two big games for the remainder of the season. If he had just two 7-125-1 games you could peddle him for some serious wood in the offseason.

shipped away Josh Gordon before this season started and with only 1 rookie pick next yr it makes sense in my league to roster some guys (knuckleheads or not) with potential to be of value next yr & beyond... hated his prospects in Buffalo from a fantasy perspective but in Indy with Wayne out and with DHB doing his best DHB impression I think there is definitely room for a knucklehead with talent to make some noise here.

What do you do when that same OL can't pass block either?

Users who are viewing this thread