What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

When is a tackle a tackle? (2 Viewers)

This isn’t what’s happening.

we are all merely curious about this specific play.

We are actually all in agreement that our understanding of a QB slide was that the play was over. 

Some believe the tackle should be awarded, some believe it should not. We’re 7-5 on that in favor of “should not be”.

At this point it is merely an attempt to understand the NFL rules. No one’s demanding anything. My league is cooler than that.  lol 
I'm not saying I'm just saying. 

TheWinz said:
Found this:

Tackles are actually not defined as an official statistic by the league. What counts as a tackle is defined by the scoring crew for each stadium, so unfortunately there is no straight answer to your question as there are 32 vastly different viewpoints on how to score tackles.  Some crews give out tackles like crazy to every defender in the same area code when a player goes down, some crews like padding the tackle stats of a single player on the home team even when he's nowhere near the play, and some crews are stingy with tackles and don't mind putting nobody down for a tackle if they aren't sure who should get the credit.  If you watch games and try to match up actual tackles with what shows up on the box score, you'll find that they rarely ever match.

Seems like a tackle is in the eye of the beholder. 

Also, have fun perusing this... https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/2020-nfl-rulebook/
They became on official stat in 2001 (according to PFF).  But it still doesn't seem like they have defined it any better.

As others have said, there are inconsistencies in how these stats are awarded and recorded. This is why these are not official stats.

In a nutshell its largely what is wrong with IDP scoring in general. Every team has their own stat guys who do it how they want. It is not standardized at all.

This is why I don't think you should worry about it. These stats are full of errors every week.

This is part of the risk you take when playing IDP. 

I remember the Rams home stat crew being so stingy that Laurinatis had 3-4 total assist tackles all season in his home games while London Fletcher was getting 6-8 assists per week with his home stat crew. 

Users who are viewing this thread