What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

When it rains, where does it drain to? (1 Viewer)

fatness

Footballguy
Pretty cool map showing where rainfall (or other liquids) drain to on its way to the ocean. Unfortunately it ends at the US border, and it's not granular enough. But I've seen nothing like it. https://river-runner.samlearner.com/

Years ago when my sons were young I stopped the car at a high point in a city street about 3 blocks from our house. I told them if we got out and peed toward the back of the car it would drain to the Potomac River, and if we peed toward the front of the car it would drain to the Patapsco River, all of which was true. They both still think I was nuts stopping the car there (I was but it doesn't bother me) but hey, kids need to understand the world they walk on.

edited to add: here's the global version that doesn't stop at the US borders: https://river-runner-global.samlearner.com/

Last edited:
Very cool. Interesting to see that our pee would travel west, then north to Illinois before heading down to the Gulf of Mexico.

That’s pretty cool. A raindrop that falls in the small fresh water lake we grew up on in the 1960s ends up 66 miles away in a Lake Michigan beach town.

20-30 years after our childhood, all of my siblings ended up moving to that beach town.

Ok, now I'm happy. Here's the global version: https://river-runner-global.samlearner.com/

Type in "Ely, Minnesota, United States" and watch how far that water flows to get to the Hudson Bay, instead of nearby Lake Superior.
I’ve been to Ely. The gateway to our boundary waters trip.
We used to stay for a week or 2 each year on Moose Lake, about 20 miles ENE from Ely. Used to love the trip through Moose, Newfound, and Sucker Lakes, around the dam and into Basswood Lake.

I just found out if you double click on the blue drainage course a couple times the screen moves you all the way through it.

Topic made me think of this peak in Glacier National Park that doesn't flow to one or two different oceans, it flows to THREE different oceans.
----------
Visit Montana's Triple Divide Peak: Where Water Flows Into Three Oceans

What Is The Significance Of The Triple Divide?​

The Triple Divide is significant because it is (almost) unique for having three drainages. To the southeast, water drains to the Birch and Marias Rivers eventually draining onto the Missouri and Mississippi Rivers and then onto the Gulf of Mexico (part of the Atlantic Ocean). To the northeast, water drains into the St. Mary River and then onto the Saskatchewan River Basin in Canada, and finally into Hudson Bay (part of the Arctic Ocean). To the west water flows into the Flathead River and onto the Columbia River which empties into the Pacific.

Topic made me think of this peak in Glacier National Park that doesn't flow to one or two different oceans, it flows to THREE different oceans.
----------

The Triple Divide is significant because it is (almost) unique for having three drainages. To the southeast, water drains to the Birch and Marias Rivers eventually draining onto the Missouri and Mississippi Rivers and then onto the Gulf of Mexico (part of the Atlantic Ocean). To the northeast, water drains into the St. Mary River and then onto the Saskatchewan River Basin in Canada, and finally into Hudson Bay (part of the Arctic Ocean). To the west water flows into the Flathead River and onto the Columbia River which empties into the Pacific.
Thanks Cliffie!

----------

Thanks Cliffie!
I heard there's a guy in the bar who says I don't know a thing about photosynthesis.
Puffs out chest as he strides towards the guy.
Why I'll show him.

Pretty cool map showing where rainfall (or other liquids) drain to on its way to the ocean. Unfortunately it ends at the US border, and it's not granular enough. But I've seen nothing like it. https://river-runner.samlearner.com/

Years ago when my sons were young I stopped the car at a high point in a city street about 3 blocks from our house. I told them if we got out and peed toward the back of the car it would drain to the Potomac River, and if we peed toward the front of the car it would drain to the Patapsco River, all of which was true. They both still think I was nuts stopping the car there (I was but it doesn't bother me) but hey, kids need to understand the world they walk on.
Try peeing on the continental divide, one side goes to the Pacific and the other to the Atlantic.

The Great Basin doesn't drain to the Gulf of California, the Pacific Ocean, the Hudson Bay, the Atlantic Ocean, or the Gulf of Mexico. It drains to itself. For an example, type in "Ruby Valley, Nevada, United States". The water ends up at "inland water feature".

Users who are viewing this thread