What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Where in the world are the middle-aged dummies? Worldwide top 31 song countdown. (3 Viewers)

Am I alone in feeling like this will be the hardest list yet? I'm having a hard time coming up with artists that I would choose one song over three, or four, from bands I really like.

So right now I'm leaning towards filling my list with old favorites.....or I could hit you guys with more 10 minute fuzz/stoner metal songs than you would ever want to hear. 🤔
I didn't do the other 2 but that's the same spot I'm in. I have classic rock,stoner rock,thrash and doom metal and a dash of alt rock.
Looking forward to your list Weas

A second list is in and contained a question about whether something would be considered one song or two. As in the British Isles countdown, there will be songs that are always played together on radio or that segue one into the other in a way that we can call them just one song. If you're in doubt, feel free to ask me.

A second list is in and contained a question about whether something would be considered one song or two. As in the British Isles countdown, there will be songs that are always played together on radio or that segue one into the other in a way that we can call them just one song. If you're in doubt, feel free to ask me.
We’ve paid our dues, time after time.

Last edited:
Am I alone in feeling like this will be the hardest list yet? I'm having a hard time coming up with artists that I would choose one song over three, or four, from bands I really like.

So right now I'm leaning towards filling my list with old favorites.....or I could hit you guys with more 10 minute fuzz/stoner metal songs than you would ever want to hear. 🤔
I didn't do the other 2 but that's the same spot I'm in. I have classic rock,stoner rock,thrash and doom metal and a dash of alt rock.
good to have you on board for this one!

There's really not much to research right? Mostly just making sure of the partial artists?
I didn't have to research any artists but tons of research (listening) to decide on which tracks to take. Gets very time consuming when they are all 7-10+ minutes long
Just imagine if you are @Pip's Invitation doing research. I hear you, though - I think I only got through 1 band's worth of research today.

I don't think I will be able to do only 00s+ on this one though like I joked. So far my list of artists is too shallow. I am sure I am not thinking of a ton of artists though, so we will see.

I am at 58 countries right now and still looking.
Am considering seeking professional help for my addiction right now.

Switzerland, Netherlands and Guadaloupe the latest countries to give me conundrums. Yes ****ing Guadaloupe.
Please help.

"Weas"? Let's not do that.

Harsh!...Bu-ddy!

There's really not much to research right? Mostly just making sure of the partial artists?
I didn't have to research any artists but tons of research (listening) to decide on which tracks to take. Gets very time consuming when they are all 7-10+ minutes long
Just imagine if you are @Pip's Invitation doing research. I hear you, though - I think I only got through 1 band's worth of research today.

I don't think I will be able to do only 00s+ on this one though like I joked. So far my list of artists is too shallow. I am sure I am not thinking of a ton of artists though, so we will see.
This is (one of the reasons) why my process consists of writing down the first 36 songs that come to mind.

We could say Weezie like George Jefferson.

(Speaking of which, as unlikely as it sounds, Sherman Helmsley was really into prog.)

Speaking of which, as unlikely as it sounds, Sherman Helmsley was really into prog
TIL … Hemsley even snuck a bit of Nektar into a Jeffersons episode.

Rest assured, @Eephus , the song in question does NOT take up an entire album side.

This is (one of the reasons) why my process consists of writing down the first 36 songs that come to mind.
Yeah, I had a dozen+ songs right off the bat I knew were going on my list.
A couple of stoner rock bands I listen to I don't really know the names of their songs because I only listen to the whole album while working.

My list of 31 songs by one band list is coming along further than the one for this thread. Guess that one by definition has a more limited pool.

10mins in and I am a bit freaked out. :lol: wtf did I just click on?
So how did it turn out?
Not well. It was a bit much last night - I got through about 35 mins and tapped out. :lmao: The stop motion is impressive, but I was getting freaked out and nauseous. I will try to watch more another day.

I tried Megan instead, and didn't really like that one.
Bummer, had heard good things about Megan
Cool idea, but PG-13 movies have a higher bar with me, and I thought some of the acting was atrocious. I would say it's a great starter horror movie, and it's OK, I just wasn't fully with it last night.

For some reason I watched a Disney+ documentary on Phil Tippett. It doesn't surprise me that Mad God is out there. Tippett is...eccentric.

Cool idea, but PG-13 movies have a higher bar with me, and I thought some of the acting was atrocious. I would say it's a great starter horror movie, and it's OK, I just wasn't fully with it last night.
I think the thing with Megan is you have to understand going in that it's not a horror movie. It's a camp comedy for youths.

Can I get some opinions on Zappa and the Mothers of Invention eligibility? The initial notation is that the cuts where Anysley Dunbar (drummer) was a part of the Mothers would be eligible.

Would Jean-Luc Ponty qualify as well? He played on a least a couple Zappa albums but I haven't found anything that states he was ever a part of the Mothers ...

Can I get some opinions on Zappa and the Mothers of Invention eligibility? The initial notation is that the cuts where Anysley Dunbar (drummer) was a part of the Mothers would be eligible.

Would Jean-Luc Ponty qualify as well? He played on a least a couple Zappa albums but I haven't found anything that states he was ever a part of the Mothers ...

I can't find anything other than his being a "guest" either. This is a pretty good look at the lineups and who was in, as far as I can tell.

I can't find anything other than his being a "guest" either. This is a pretty good look at the lineups and who was in, as far as I can tell.

this seems telling ...

The (DiscReet) Mothers of Invention​

Simultaneous with his work with the aforementioned large bands, FZ started to piece together some work for later release, that would fall under the DiscReet label. Besides members of the 'new' Mothers he would soon form, and some of the players from the 'Wazoo' bands, assistance for these recordings was provided by Jack Bruce: bass / Erroneous (Alex Dmochowski): bass / Aynsley Dunbar: drums.

1) The first (DiscReet) Mothers = Jean-Luc Ponty: violin / George Duke: keyboards, vocals / Sal Marquez: trumpet, vocals / Ian Underwood: alto sax / Bruce Fowler: trombone / Ruth Underwood: percussion / Tom Fowler: bass / Ralph Humphrey: drums. This band, for the most part, recorded Over-Nite Sensation & Apostrophe (').

Oh! That works. I had gotten to this part and then didn't include him: "6) Subtract Ray Collins / add Lowell George and Buzz Gardner for the MOI (5) that recorded Burnt Weeny Sandwich and Weasels Ripped My Flesh. Hot Rats was a side project that held FZ, Underwood, George, and several "guests": Ron Selico / Shuggy Otis / Captain Beefheart / Don "Sugarcane" Harris / John Guerin / Max Bennett / Paul Humphrey / Jean-Luc Ponty"

Looks like the two albums Over-Nite Sensation and Apostrophe should be fine based on the latter part you found, though. :thumbup:

Evidence of eligibility: Per Dr. O's excellent suggestion, when submitting your list, please also add, after the song and artist names, a very brief indication of why it's eligible here (i.e. “British Band, American Singer”; “Japanese”, “Mexican”; “Mexican and US”; “it’s Neil Young”)." A reference to the ineligibility lists for the prior drafts will suffice in cases where they were on the posts no one read. I will not be vetting these and will work on the honor system. If you claim, for instance, that Sixpence None the Richer would be eligible because they are Nigerian, we're going with that, but you'll risk the scorn of your fellow posters.

@timschochet , not picking on you as I'm sure others would forget this as well, but just a reminder to include this somewhere when you send a list. I'll PM you as you don't need to do this for some that are obvious to me, but I'll ask you to provide the info for a number of your selections. Thanks, all!

@Manster and all others: Please see above...again. :) Manster, I'll send you a list of what I need.

You know, this whole "write about why it's eligible" thing just isn't going to work for me. Two of three lists so far haven't included the information, and I don't like hassling people for it. Also, it's just too complicated for me to look up everyone's picks yet again. Say you have Tool on your list - some are eligible, some are not, and I don't feel like wading through to prove the negative that they're weren't eligible the first two times.

EXECUTIVE DECISION: Vet your own lists carefully, and I am not nixing anything unless it's obvious to me. We'll call that The Sixpence None The Richer rule. If some dork wants to object to your pick when it's posted in the countdown, then we can deal with it at that time. I'll just delete your pick from the list then, with no replacement to be made.

:clap:

Just so everyone is clear.
How do you want the picks formatted? Correct my listing below

31- BTS - Butter - South Korea
As stated in the first post:

Format of submissions: Please send your list with the song name first, then the artist name, and please put your top choice (31 points) at the top of your list. Please do not use ALL CAPS as I'm not a shouter. If possible, please capitalize the first letter of each word of the song title, though I know it's awkward and will fix it if you don't. If you want my undying loyalty, you will also send links (either Spotify or YouTube is fine) - preferably hyperlinks within the song title - but they are not required.

Not that anyone reads those things.

Evidence of eligibility: Per Dr. O's excellent suggestion, when submitting your list, please also add, after the song and artist names, a very brief indication of why it's eligible here (i.e. “British Band, American Singer”; “Japanese”, “Mexican”; “Mexican and US”; “it’s Neil Young”)." A reference to the ineligibility lists for the prior drafts will suffice in cases where they were on the posts no one read. I will not be vetting these and will work on the honor system. If you claim, for instance, that Sixpence None the Richer would be eligible because they are Nigerian, we're going with that, but you'll risk the scorn of your fellow posters.

I'm definitely doing this. I'm interested to see just how many countries I have represented.

Format of submissions: Please send your list with the song name first, then the artist name, and please put your top choice (31 points) at the top of your list. Please do not use ALL CAPS as I'm not a shouter. If possible, please capitalize the first letter of each word of the song title, though I know it's awkward and will fix it if you don't. If you want my undying loyalty, you will also send links (either Spotify or YouTube is fine) - preferably hyperlinks within the song title - but they are not required.

I'm definitely doing this. I'm interested to see just how many countries I have represented.
Ok.I got close. So
31 - Butter - BTS - South Korea

Ok.I got close. So
31 - Butter - BTS - South Korea
I clicked on the link and watched a bit......is that what the kids are calling K-pop?

You know, this whole "write about why it's eligible" thing just isn't going to work for me. Two of three lists so far haven't included the information, and I don't like hassling people for it. Also, it's just too complicated for me to look up everyone's picks yet again. Say you have Tool on your list - some are eligible, some are not, and I don't feel like wading through to prove the negative that they're weren't eligible the first two times.

EXECUTIVE DECISION: Vet your own lists carefully, and I am not nixing anything unless it's obvious to me. We'll call that The Sixpence None The Richer rule. If some dork wants to object to your pick when it's posted in the countdown, then we can deal with it at that time. I'll just delete your pick from the list then, with no replacement to be made.

I have read post 1 and it seems to me that the vetting process is easier for this one.

If it's a solo artist not born in (or somehow from) the US or UK, they're eligible. If it's a band in which at least one of the core members was not born in (or somehow from) the US or UK, they're eligible. Is that accurate?

I have read post 1 and it seems to me that the vetting process is easier for this one.

If it's a solo artist not born in (or somehow from) the US or UK, they're eligible. If it's a band in which at least one of the core members was not born in (or somehow from) the US or UK, they're eligible. Is that accurate?
By George!

My short list sits at 48, and it's likely to grow. Currently Australia leads Canada 16-15, but Canadians are more likely to win the top-31 battle.

Users who are viewing this thread