What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Where in the world are the middle-aged dummies? Worldwide top 31 song countdown. (3 Viewers)

Additional fun listening: here's something you might not have heard before. When I started my list for this countdown, among the first bands that I listed were some EXTREMELY weird stuff I had found years ago on YouTube. Don't ask me how, but for some reason my random YouTube "Try these!" lists started including strange Finnish cover bands. After careful consideration, I decided not to include either of these, as I wanted mostly original material (there are exceptions, but the covers I've taken are by bands that DO have their own stuff as well). But this is fun stuff, I wanted to share it anyway, so I got Krista's confirmation nobody had actually taken either of these bands, and approval to trot them out. These may be best viewed after either a bong rip, or a tab of acid. Enjoy.

I'll take "Odd Finnish Cover Bands" for $100, Alex:

1st up, The Leningrad Cowboys (ft. the Red Army Choir) - Sweet Home Alabama. Part of the fun here is on the chorus watching a bunch of older Russian dudes try to pronounce "Alabama".

And no, I can't explain what's going on. Just go with it. They have other acid trips available (Delilah, Those Were the Days, American Woman,,,), this is just where the rabbit hole started for me.

OK, now "Odd Finnish Cover Bands" for $200, please:

Next, we have Steve 'N' Seagulls - Thunderstruck. This is apparently what happens in the backwoods of Finland after you've been snowbound for weeks, you start to think you're from Appalachia and it's time to do bluegrass covers of hard rock songs.

You have to wonder how bored you have to get after a snow storm to start doing bluegrass covers of things like Master of Puppets, Panama, or November Rain. Seriously.

The internet is a weird and wonderful place, as it keeps bringing me freaky stuff I would never even known existed back in the day. I really enjoy this sorta thing, hope you like it, too.
A bluegrass channel I listen to on Alexa plays seagulls a lot. They are pretty good!

And all things Dave Matthews will be "Dave Matthews Band."

- Management

Also, I'll list all entries from this artist as "The Beat" rather than "The English Beat," to avoid confusion and US-centric thinking. :lol:
Also not "The British Beat" to avoid Australia-centric thinking.

Dave Matthew is to "british beat" as a lovely seared piece of foie gras to to a warm pile of berry-filled scat from a ferrule pole cat.

- Management

Also, I'll list all entries from this artist as "The Beat" rather than "The English Beat," to avoid confusion and US-centric thinking. :lol:

Dave Matthew is to "british beat" as a lovely seared piece of foie gras is to to a warm pile of berry-filled scat from a ferrule pole cat.

- Management

Dave Matthew is to "british beat" as a lovely seared piece of foie gras to to a warm pile of berry-filled scat from a ferrule pole cat.
I'm still not sure how you really feel.

- Management

Uh, you might have missed Krista's post to the "newbies" about how we react to music choices around here... or is this schtick? Or is this just "Binky"?

I sorta remember this same feeling last time, where we were all excited to get started and share our picks, and then we realized we would be sharing our one-pointers. :sadbanana: It'll get better.
Hey! I like my one point song. It's sexy. (Probably not as sexy as "Straight to Number One", though.)

I'm going to enjoy the research you've all done on these artists. I've already had three of "I didn't realize Artist X was from Country Y".

Latest example? Dave Matthews. I have a song I'd have added for him and I hope it comes up.

I'm going to enjoy the research you've all done on these artists. I've already had three of "I didn't realize Artist X was from Country Y".

Latest example? Dave Matthews. I have a song I'd have added for him and I hope it comes up.
Ah yes, you weren’t around for the US countdown, where I was explaining in detail why DMB were partially ineligible due to a foreign trumpeter or something and then someone pointed out to me that Dave himself was born in South Africa. :bag:

worrierking:

32-I Will Follow You into the Dark-Death Cab For Cutie-Drummer from Germany

33-Charity-Courtney Barnett-Australia

34-Pink Frost-The Chills-New Zealand

35-Fashionable People-Joel Plaskett Experience-Canada

36-There Ain't Half Been Some Clever Bastards-Ian Dury & The Blockheads-Charley Charles Ruined Everything

I have been mostly absent lately due to both my regular job and my hobby/job. I'm hoping to explain my picks throughout the countdown. I might have to play catch-up a few times.
For the last five out, I want to mention Joel Plaskett, a Canadian Indie guy that I really like. This is not a typical song from him, with the dance-pop sound, but the lyrics are great as most of his stuff shows. I decided I would not have any of the artists who were contained in the other countdowns in this list based on a technicality. I originally had many that I squeezed in here. But I kept finding new songs and bumped all of them except this one by Ian Dury & the Blockheads that made my last five. Again, it's a lyrical masterpiece of Ian's playful, pottymouthed lyrics.

From the other last-five out lists I have 15 artists in common and three songs that made my top 31. Straight to the top of the chalk list I go again.

- Management

Uh, you might have missed Krista's post to the "newbies" about how we react to music choices around here... or is this schtick? Or is this just "Binky"?

yeah, I apologized - it wasn't appropriate, but it was hammy schtick

I really don't "hate, hate" DMB - but I don't really care for them either, and it is an immediate "skip" when I hear them

my wife loves them though - so sometimes I am forced to listen to them for the sake of the marriage.

One-Point Selections:

timschochet:

The Safety Dance - Men Without Hats

Just Win Baby:

Juke Box Hero – Foreigner (American and English band members)

Pip’s Invitation:

Boys In Town - Divinyls (Australia)

Andy Dufresne:

The Other Side Of Mt. Heart Attack – Liars

DrIanMalcolm:

Get Lucky - Daft Punk (feat. Pharrell Williams and Nile Rodgers) (France/US)

(@Ilov80s crew, please record as an entry for each of the three artists listed above)

Don Quixote:

Para Lennon E McCartney - Milton Nascimento (Brazil)

Dr. Octopus:

Grave Digger - Dave Matthews Band (South Africa)

scorchy:

Open Letter (To A Landlord) - Living Colour - U.S., UK

shuke:

Prisencolinensinainciusol - Adriano Celentano - Italian

Sullie:

Stupid Girl – Garbage - Stupid gurrrl is Scottish

The Dreaded Marco:

Point That Thing Somewhere Else - The Clean

Mister CIA:

Hey ***** - Izïa - France

Hawks64:

Lights - Journey

Mrs. Rannous:

Beautiful Liar - Beyonce & Shakira - US + Colombia

(spreadsheet crew – please record as an entry for each of the artists listed above)

titusbramble:

Routainen Maa - Heikki Mustonen (Finnish)

Note from titus: Included Youtube link as I do not know how well Spotify will pick up soundtracks to Finnish video games which are not yet out of early access on Steam

Raging weasel:

Strong Reflection – Mars Red Sky – France

Ilov80s:

Sodade - Cesaria Evora

worrierking:

The Chain - Fleetwood Mac - England/US

Val Rannous:

Battle Without Honor Or Humanity - Tomoyasu Hotei – Japan

krista4:

Wake Up – Arcade Fire (Canada)

Mt. Man:

White Unicorn – Wolfmother - Australian band

JMLs secret identity:

I Believe I Can Fly - William Hung - Hong Kong

otb_lifer:

Prisencolinensinainciusol - Adriano Celentano (Italy 🇮🇹🤘)

(second vote today!)

simey:

Emotion – Samantha Sang (Australia)

rockaction:

Beez In The Trap - Nicki Minaj (Trindad and Tobago)

New Binky the Doormat:

Under The Milky Way - The Church - Australia

landryshat:

3 A.M. Eternal - The KLF (South Africa)

John Maddens Lunchbox:

She Bangs - Ricky Martin - Puerto Rico

MAC_32:

If You Could Read My Mind - Gordon Lightfoot - North Canada

Jwb:

This Beat Goes On/Switchin’ To Glide – The Kings

Eephus:

Portrait Of A Man (Live at Auckland Town Hall) - Marlon Williams

Hov34:

Save It For Later - The Beat

Manster:

Stir It Up – Bob Marley

simsarge:

Down Under - Men At Work - 'Cuz how could I not list THIS video and song!?!?

ditkaburgers:

It's My Life - No Doubt

Doug B:

Pass The Kouchie - The Mighty Diamonds

westerberg:

Afrique Victime - Mdou Moctar

KarmaPolice:

Fences – Phoenix

higgins:

The Weight – Jimmy Page/The Edge/Jack White (UK/US mix)

(hey spreadsheetitarians, please log for each artist individually)

zamboni:

My Girl (Gone, Gone, Gone) – Chilliwack (Canada)

Zegras11:

Precious - The Pretenders

Oliver Humanzee:

Murder City Nights – Radio Birdman

Chaos34:

In Hell I’ll Be In Good Company - The Dead South

AAABatteries:

Beds Are Burning - Midnight Oil

Last edited:
You guys alluded to it:

Ace Award Guesses:

Two votes:

The Final Countdown – Europe

Beds Are Burning - Midnight Oil – One point

One vote:

Lovefool -- The Cardigans

Battle Scar – Max Webster

99 Luftballons - Nena

For What It's Worth - Buffalo Springfield

Some Like It Hot - Power Station

Take On Me - A-ha

Heaven and Hell- Black Sabbath

Don't Dream It's Over - Crowded House

This Beat Goes On/Switching to Glide – The Kings

Major Tom (Coming Home) - Peter Schilling

Layla - Derek & the Dominoes

Cult of Personality – Living Colour

David Bowie for “Under Pressure” – David Bowie and Queen

Last edited:
Zero songs for me on the last out list. 7 artists in common.

Sidenote.....I was like 7 when Electric Avenue came out and it was my favorite song for a while

I still love "Electric Avenue," too. Probably wouldn't have made my top 31, but it totally slipped my mind.
Don't think the original is on Spotify, or at least it wasn't.

OOPSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS, there was a mistake in the posted picks (just one of them). Fixed now. Please ignore anything you might think you read. :lol:

It turns out it was not my mistake but was the drafter's in placing all of their songs in the wrong order from what was requested and what was done on every other ******* list. Now I get to re-order everything after the fact and re-do all documents and all calculations. Neat!

I did catch that another person had done this and was able to get that one fixed before the list was put into my files. IF ANYONE ELSE DID NOT PUT THEIR #1 CHOICE (31 POINTER) AT THE TOP OF THEIR LIST PLEASE NOTIFY ME IMMEDIATELY.

- Management

yeah, I apologized - it wasn't appropriate, but it was hammy schtick

I really don't "hate, hate" DMB - but I don't really care for them either, and it is an immediate "skip" when I hear them

my wife loves them though - so sometimes I am forced to listen to them for the sake of the marriage.
I knew it was schtick, hence the :lmao: apologies for any contribution to it.

I mentioned this housekeeping matter before, but just a reminder of a change for this countdown: I am not seeking out links if they weren't provided, so you'll see some holes above. Most people don't click the links anyway, it seems.

worrierking:

The Chain - Fleetwood Mac - England/US

This is my favorite of many FM songs I like. It began as the end jam with the great bass line from John, and the Lindsay solo. They needed a song to go with that and Stevie brought the main section out to connect to the back end. The "Chain, Keep Us Together" motif was in response to the three breakups going on in the band and the desire to keep the music and the cash flowing. It was a great idea, negated completely by their late-career personnel shenanigans.

Others I like from the 31 selections include The Church, Radio Birdman, The Kings and Midnight Oil. Man, it's going to be impossible to keep up with the daily listens. I surrender now.

Users who are viewing this thread