What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Where in the world are the middle-aged dummies? Worldwide top 31 song countdown. (1 Viewer)

Seven-Point Selections:
Andy Dufresne:

1- Twilight Zone - Golden Earring
(new artist)
worrierking:

2- Cheese And Onions - The Rutles (Ricky Fataar from South Africa)
(new artist)

JMLs secret identity:
3-
Tarhatazed - Mdou Moctar (Niger)
(new song)
simey:

4-Heart Of Glass - Blondie (USA, England)
(new song)
John Maddens Lunchbox:

5-D.I.S.C.O. – Ottowan (Guadelope)
(new artist)

jwb:
6-Every 1’s A Winner - Hot Chocolate
(duplicate, second vote)

Manster:

7-Jailbreak - AC/DC
(new song)

ditkaburgers:

8-And She Was - Talking Heads
(new song)
zamboni:

9-Once Upon A Time In America - Ennio Morricone (Italy)
(new artist)

AAABatteries:

10-Once In A Lifetime - Talking Heads
(new song)
Todays spoiler free (I think) comments

1- How tempting was it to take the other well known song? 70s dutch music was stacked lol.

2- Nice to see a comedy song here, dressed up as the Beatles sure. I was considering a 31 strong UK/US mix, what i ended up with or a 31 strong comedy track from 31 countries. Then I listened to a bunch of comedians from other countries and scrapped that idea quick smart. I know I have done comedy tracks and albums in drafts in previous drafts. Listening to Indian and Polish comics, nah. Canada, Australia, new Zealand, South Africa, Malaysia....all easy hits. Finland, French, Germany, Egypt, ok. After that....**** me.

3- I was the first to pick this Mdou Moctar track? And its the fourth one chosen? Think a few people may dig further into this artist. Thanks for the assist on this one.

4- Parallel Lines is one of the greatest albums of all time IMHO. When Just Go Away and Will Anything Happen are the weak tracks, its staggering. Pretty Baby is one of my favorite songs of all time and it didnt even sniff being a single. The masterclass Mike Chapman did turning the original Heart of Class into a global smash shows a good producer earns their money.

5- In the middle of my carribean disco run here. This is such a fun track. The byplay between the two vocalists is nice. Give me this over tracks whining about **** anyday. Maybe im going through a phase, secretly gay (except the yucky sex stuff) or just happier these days.
[Verse 1 - - Jean Patrick Baptiste]
She is D, delirious
She is I, incredible
She is S, superficial
She is C, complicated
She is O, oh, oh, oh

[Verse 2 - Annette]
She is D, desirable
She is I, irresistible
She is S, super sexy
She is C, such a cutie
She is O, oh, oh, oh

Verse 3 - Jean Patrick Baptiste]
She is D, disastrous
She is I, impossible
She is S, super special
She is C, crazy, crazy
She is O, oh, oh, oh

[Verse 4 - Annette]
She is D, delightful
She is I, incredible
She is S, sensational
She is C, sweetest candy
She is O, oh, oh, oh
D.I.S.C.O

She is disco

6- my first duplicate. Awesome. Errol Brown is such a fun vocalist. I know much was made of the Hootie and the Blowfish racial dynamic, but i dont recall much said for this band 20 years earlier. I was younger so probably oblivious.

7- I used to love AC/DC tracks like this. They were exciting to hear. Bon Scott was an impressive vocalist who didnt take himself too seriously. I had just started high school and the school bus trip was an hour there and an hour back. All i heard was ac/dc every day for 6 ****ing years. Then a few weeks into high school Bon Scott died. No music that day. Just a bus load of silence. Some guys crying...wtf? Didnt think this was the day to bust out some Kraftwerk.

8 & 10 - GB David Byrne. But the tight musical unit behind do they get enough love? I dont think so, but maybe im wrong. You were just never sure if they had a good sense of humor, were being too serious or a combination of it all.

9- Add Ennio Morricine to my cut list. Gutted me too. One of his soundtracks i listen to regularly to this day. Its so beautiful. I know he was appreciated in his time, but his versatility was staggering.

10ish known favorites from this round excluding repeat songs from past rounds.

Helplessly Hoping - My favorite CSN song. I could listen to it on loop. Those harmonies and guitar put me in a tranquil state.
Twilight Zone
Helpless
Nature Boy
18 and Life
Girls Got Rhythm
Lay Your Hands on Me - This song reminds me of college and this cassette was stuck in my car cassette player. I finally ripped it out with some needle nose pliers.
The Old Apt.
And She Was / Once in a Lifetime
Cinnamon Girl

10 unknown new favorites

Unwanted Number
I Wanna Destroy You
Put Me To Sleep
Cheese and Onions - this has a john lennon vibe to it
Know Your Product
Once Upon a Time in America
Windowpane
In Your Eyes
Werente Serigne
After Dark

As I already mentioned, in addition to the ****ty posts in the thread, I received additional crap and drama via PM. Over and over and over. So no, nothing is “hunky dory.” Glad you liked the teasers.
If you ran into an *** hole then you ran into an *** hole. If you ran into *** holes all day then you're the *** hole. You didn't run into *** holes all day though - you ran into one. It happens.

So, we've got another fan of Justified on this board. That's a good thing.

Just Win Baby:

Somebody That I Used To Know - Gotye (feat. Kimbra) (Belgian and New Zealander band members)
(duplicate, third vote)

The Dreaded Marco:

Put Me To Sleep - Porcelain Raft
(new artist)

Mister CIA:

Nature Boy - Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds (Australia)
(new artist)

titusbramble:

Junge - Die Artze (German)
(new artist)

krista4:

I Wanna Destroy You - The Soft Boys (Cyprus/UK)
(new artist)

Oliver Humanzee:

Know Your Product - The Saints
(new artist)

New to me songs I liked a lot....

shuke:

Helpless - Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young …...........American/Canadian/English
(new artist)

What I said in my Neil countdown:

5. Helpless (CSNY's Deja Vu, 1970)
This was one of my first exposures to Neil and it is the top-ranked acoustic song on this list. My parents had a cassette of CSNY's So Far compilation that I remember being played frequently, and this was one of two Neil contributions to it.

First worked up with Crazy Horse for the Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere sessions, CSN told Neil it would sound better with them, and he agreed, bringing it to the Deja Vu sessions. According to Neil, CSNY ran through a ton of takes in one night, finally getting one Neil liked in the wee hours in the morning, when everyone else was exhausted and had slowed down to his speed.

Like many Neil songs, it is simple but offers so much. The piano and guitar flourishes pique your interest early on, and the harmonies on the chorus may be CSN's finest on any recording. The lyrics evoke a "dream comfort memory to spare," as Neil offers vignettes from his childhood in Ontario, more bird imagery, and a plea to "sing with me somehow." It all adds up to spine-tingling wonder.

This is one of the songs you play if someone asks you what's the big deal about Neil Young. When the very biggest names in music perform with or decide to cover Neil, this is often the choice.

Zegras11:

Cinnamon Girl - Neil Young
(new artist)

What I said in my Neil countdown:

I suspect some of you will think this is too low.

21. Cinnamon Girl (Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere, 1969)
We have now reached my top tier of Neil songs. These 21 have probably all been my #1 at one time or another. Cinnamon Girl is essential to Neil's evolution. It is the template for the stomping, no nonsense hard rock style that Neil would perform with Crazy Horse for 50 years (and hopefully more once the pandemic ends). It has a riff you just can't get out of your head, and not just because it's a staple of "classic rock radio," whatever that means. The soaring bridge is exhilarating on every listen. And the little breakdown at the end shows there's more to this band/sound than the 4/4 grind. No wonder pretty much everyone has covered this.

I knew 20 songs today not including my own but including repeats.

Known-to-me favorites from #25 excluding my own and Could You Be Loved, which is known to be on my list:

Helpless -- Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young (Shuke)
Cinnamon Girl -- Neil Young (Zegras11)
Mr. Brownstone -- Guns N' Roses (OTB)
Lunatic Fringe -- Red Rider (Sullie)
Helplessly Hoping -- Crosby, Stills and Nash (Tim)
Heart of Glass -- Blondie (Simey)
Once in a Lifetime -- Talking Heads (AAABatteries)
Twilight Zone -- Golden Earring (Andy)
Rocket Queen -- Guns N' Roses (Westerberg)
Waterloo -- ABBA (Simsarge)
Every 1's a Winner -- Hot Chocolate (jwb)
Somebody That I Used to Know -- Gotye ft. Kimbra (Just Win Baby)
Synchronicity II -- The Police (DrIanMalcolm)

Last edited:
Here's an indicator of whose tastes might be most similar to mine so far. I'll do this when we get to a number that ends in 0 or 5.

Participants with songs on my list or in the top 10 of songs not on my list:

Worrierking: 3
AAABatteries: 1
Binky: 1
Doc Oc: 1
Higgins: 1
Krista4: 1
Landryshat: 1
MAC 32: 1
OTB: 1
Scorchy: 1
Shuke: 1
Val Rannous: 1
Zegras11: 1

Participants with songs on my list or in the top 25 of songs not on my list:

Worrierking: 5
AAABatteries: 2
Andy: 2
Simey: 2
Tim: 2
Zegras11: 2
Doug B: 1
Just Win Baby: 1
Manster: 1
Mt. Man: 1
Simsarge: 1
Sullie: 1

Four songs on my list have been selected. One is Could You Be Loved. The others haven't been revealed yet.

Last edited:
I'll give you a topic - The Thompson Twins... None of them were named Thompson and none of them were twins...

Andy is, of course, fully on point. This song was released in the UK in 1984, then again in the US in 1985 with a remixed version.This is the former version, still rife with xylophone and a chorus that hooked me fully.

In other news, it was tough to pick songs for all of my categories. There was lots of music that I enjoyed today, so competition was fierce! Maybe I should’ve expanded, but you know, lazy. Though I think I’ll be seeing some of them again, and I don’t mean from me. Though for #24 and #23 I will have songs that have already been selected.

#25s
Recognized by title alone: 19
Sounded familiar: 4
Knew from this countdown: 1
Didn't know: 19

Selected Favorites:
Helpless (shuke)
Jet City Woman (Val Rannous)
Mr. Brownstone (otb_lifer)
And She Was (ditkaburgers) - I feel like this is my 1b choice from Talking Heads.

Some songs I didn't know that I ended up liking:
After Dark (Mrs. Rannous)
Walking With A Ghost (rockaction)
Oblivion (landryshat)
Know Your Product (Oliver Humanzee)
-
Dig The Vibe: TarhaTazed (JML2: Electric Boogaloo)

Last edited:
I knew 20 songs today not including my own but including repeats.

Known-to-me favorites from #25 excluding my own and Could You Be Loved, which is known to be on my list:

Helpless -- Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young (Shuke)
Cinnamon Girl -- Neil Young (Zegras11)
Mr. Brownstone -- Guns N' Roses (OTB)
Lunatic Fringe -- Red Rider (Sullie)
Helplessly Hoping -- Crosby, Stills and Nash (Tim)
Heart of Glass -- Blondie (Simey)
Once in a Lifetime -- Talking Heads (AAABatteries)
Twilight Zone -- Golden Earring (Andy)
Rocket Queen -- Guns N' Roses (Westerberg)
Waterloo -- ABBA (Simsarge)
Every 1's a Winner -- Hot Chocolate (jwb)
Somebody That I Used to Know -- Gotye ft. Kimbra (Just Win Baby)
Synchronicity II -- The Police (DrIanMalcolm)
Edited to include Lay Your Hands on Me in the "known". Didn't recognize it by title and haven't heard it since the '80s.

I always tell Pip this, but the ending and breakdown of "Cinnamon Girl," an ending I'd never heard until recently (as far as years go) is the beginning/intro to Mudhoney's "Broken Hands." Mudhoney took the riff and copped it. It's somewhat ironic because I always thought it was a signature riff intro to a great song. by them. Turns out it was the Godfather of Grunge, Neil.

Cinnamon Girl ending

Broken Hands beginning

I love that Mudhoney did it, but for years I thought it they were more creative than they actually were.

Both songs are depressive monsters, frankly. Cinnamon girl is almost heartbreaking but rocks so hard you almost don't recognize what a heartbreaker it is.

Pa, send me money now
I'm going to make it somehow
I need another chance
You see your baby loves to dance
Yeah, yeah, yeah

Oh boy, son. You're not going to get her.

Broken Hands is no less the heartbreak.

How could they make you go?
How could they break your hands?
How come I always have to know
These things that I can't stand?

Last edited:
Here's an indicator of whose tastes might be most similar to mine so far. I'll do this when we get to a number that ends in 0 or 5.

Four songs on my list have been selected. One is Could You Be Loved. The others haven't been revealed yet.
:kicksrock:

You can pick up the rock, GB. Pip and I often have similar tastes and I’m not there either.

You can pick up the rock, GB. Pip and I often have similar tastes and I’m not there either.
And “similar” doesn’t mean “good” or “bad”.

Some known favorites from last round

timschochet: Helplessly Hoping - Crosby, Stills & Nash - this is one of the songs I'll play when I demo my speakers for someone.
Andy Dufresne: Twilight Zone - Golden Earring - already mentioned this but what a fantastic song.
shuke: Helpless - Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young - I love all the combinations of these guys.
Sullie: Lunatic Fringe - Red Rider - I always felt these guys "just missed".
Val Rannous: Jet City Woman - Queensryche - so far the vocalists in this draft are insane. I took Dio the other day, we got CSN, Freddie (if not picked already is looming), and goodness, Geoff Tate is fantastic, especially on this song.
simey: Heart Of Glass - Blondie - Blondie was so good. Punk, Disco, and early rap. Great disco tune. Love this album.
simsarge: Waterloo - ABBA - It wasn't really cool to like ABBA when I was a kid but I did anyway.
Zegras11: Cinnamon Girl - Neil Young - Cmon, it's Neil.

New-to-me favorites from #25:

Know Your Product -- The Saints (OH). Very powerful both musically and lyrically. I have actually heard this song before because Midnight Oil has covered it live (which tends to happen at gigs where they have a horn section) and it's on a bootleg I have. But I've never heard the original. The Oils cover sticks pretty close to it.
Tarhatazed -- Mdou Moctar (JMLs Secret Identity). Amazing guitar work, again.
After Dark -- Tito And Tarantula (Mrs. Rannous). Slinky, sultry and haunting.
In Your Eyes -- BADBADNOTGOOD (feat. Charlotte Day Wilson) (Hov34). Great, soulful performance.
Windowpaine -- Opeth (KarmaPolice). Kind of sounds like a mellower Tool song, which makes sense since they both come from the prog metal universe.
Nature Boy -- Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds (Mister CIA). Great propulsion here.
I Wanna Destroy You -- The Soft Boys (Krista4). Highly energetic power pop to inject into your veins.

Eight-Point Selections:

timschochet:

All Through The Night - Cyndi Lauper and Shaggy
(Lauper – new artist; Shaggy – new song)

Just Win Baby:

Who Can It Be Now? - Men At Work (Australian and Scottish band members)
(duplicate, second vote)

Pip’s Invitation:

Low Rider - War (US/Denmark)
(new artist)

Andy Dufresne:

It Can Happen - Yes
(new artist, but see below for second song today)

DrIanMalcolm:

Whatever, Wherever - Shakira (Colombia)
(new song)

Don Quixote:

Baby - Gal Costa and Caetano Veloso (Brazil)
(both new artists)

Dr. Octopus:

Some Like It Hot - The Power Station
(new song)

scorchy:

White Horse - Laid Back (Denmark)
(new artist)

shuke:

Space To Bakersfield - Black Mountain …...........Canadian
(new artist)

Sullie:

Radar Love - Golden Earring (Netherlands or Holland or Dutch or something, I don't know.)
(new song)

The Dreaded Marco:

Buffalo - The Phoenix Foundation
(new artist)

Mister CIA:

Valium Knight - Spinnerette (Australia)
(new artist)

Hawks64:

Californication - Red Hot Chili Peppers
(new song)

Mrs. Rannous:

Tusk (live The Dance) - Fleetwood Mac (US + UK)
(new song)

titusbramble:

Hate You - 2NE1 (Korean)
(new artist)

Raging weasel:

Dust - Blues Pills
(new artist)

Ilov80s:

Your Rocky Spine - Great Lake Swimmers
(new artist)

worrierking:

Underwhelmed - Sloan (Canada)
(new artist)

Val Rannous:

Yuve Yuve Yu - The HU (Mongolia)
(new artist)

krista4:

Kansas City - The New Basement Tapes (UK/US)
(new artist)

Mt. Man:

Magic Carpet Ride - Steppenwolf (US/Canada mix, German singer)
(duplicate, second vote)

JMLs secret identity:

Atomic Bomb - Wiliam Onyeabor (Nigeria)
(new song)

otb_lifer:

The Third Man Theme - Anton Karas (Austria)
(duplicate, second vote)

simey:

Could You Be Loved - Bob Marley (Jamaica)
(duplicate, third vote)

rockaction:

Neighborhood #2 (Laika) - Arcade Fire (Canada)
(new song)

New Binky the Doormat:

I Saw Her Again - The Mamas & The Papas (mainly US members with Denny Doherty, lead singer, from Canada)
(duplicate, second vote)

landryshat:

Hallelujah - Leonard Cohen (Canada)
(new artist)

John Maddens Lunchbox:

Que Sera Mi Vida - Gibson Brothers (Martinique)
(new artist)

MAC_32:

One Thing - Finger Eleven (Only slightly nicer)
(new artist)

jwb:

And the Cradle Will Rock - Van Halen
(new artist)

Eephus:

Simone & Perry - Grant McLennan
(new artist)

Hov34:

Timothy - Little Dragon
(new artist)

Manster:

Tornado Of Souls - Megadeth
(new artist)

simsarge:

Clap For The Wolfman - The Guess Who (I mean who doesn't love a great song made more greaterer by a frikin' Wolfman frikin' Jack cameo? AMIRIGHT? Rick Dees and Richard Wagstaff Clark (Waggy as he was known to his friends) can look at the Wolfman and wonder in awe at the DJ GOAT.)
(new song)

ditkaburgers:

Upside Down - A*Teens
(new artist)

Doug B:

Leave It - Yes
(second song from this new artist today)

westerberg:

New Noise - Refused
(new artist)

KarmaPolice:

Chest Fever - The Band
(new song)

higgins:

These Are Days - 10,000 Maniacs (bassist born in Spain)
(new artist)

zamboni:

As Soon As The Good Times Roll - Scorpions (Germany)
(new song)

Zegras11:

Everything She Does Is Magic - The Police
(new song)

Oliver Humanzee:

Dead Sun Rising - Zeni Geva
(new artist)

Chaos34:

Love On The Brain - Rihanna
(new song)

AAABatteries:

Goodbye Stranger - Supertramp
(new song)

With today's picks, one of the questions from our SUPER-AWESOME-WORLD-MEGA-CONTEST!!!111 has already been answered!

8. Where In the World ARE the Middle-Aged Dummies?

Which of the following much-maligned US locales will NOT receive a song-title shout-out: (a) Bakersfield, (b) Buffalo, (c) Detroit, (d) Memphis, or (e) none of the above (all will be represented)?

Congrats to @Pip's Invitation , @Just Win Baby , @otb_lifer , @higgins @Mummy4 , @jwb and @The Dreaded Marco for taking the early lead by getting this one correct!

Sullie:
Radar Love - Golden Earring

MAC_32:
One Thing - Finger Eleven

Doug B:
Leave It - Yes

higgins:
These Are Days - 10,000 Maniacs

AAABatteries:
Goodbye Stranger - Supertramp
Can I say that I like someone else's performance of Radar Love more than the one from Golden Earring? Great driving song either way.

One Thing is also fun to sing along to.

I always wondered why Leave It and It Can Happen weren't the bigger hits off the album.

LOVE These Are Days even though I can only imagine how "Bohemian" Natalie Merchant smells.

The first 2/3 of Goodbye Stranger is the only Supertramp I don't auto-skip. I think the song gets away from them in the instrumental part, but really like it before then.

Last edited:
With today's picks, one of the questions from our SUPER-AWESOME-WORLD-MEGA-CONTEST!!!111 has already been answered!

Which of the following much-maligned US locales will NOT receive a song-title shout-out: (a) Bakersfield, (b) Buffalo, (c) Detroit, (d) Memphis, or (e) none of the above (all will be represented)?

Congrats to @Pip's Invitation , @Just Win Baby , @otb_lifer , @higgins @Mummy4 , @jwb and @The Dreaded Marco for taking the early lead by getting this one correct!
I arrived at "none" because there are a squillion songs with Detroit and Memphis in their titles, Bob Marley has a very famous song with "Buffalo" in the title and Bakersfield was too weird an option to not be real.

I arrived at "none" because there are a squillion songs with Detroit and Memphis in their titles, Bob Marley has a very famous song with "Buffalo" in the title and Bakersfield was too weird an option to not be real.

i arrived at "none" because i done botched the original query, and just defaulted to option "E" to get on with it

:shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread